PDA

View Full Version : Nike Hoop Summit - Plumlee and Wall

gw67
04-02-2009, 03:57 PM
The Nike Hoop Summit will be played on April 11th and will be shown on FSN. The game features a squad of high school basketball players against a world select team. Plumlee and Wall are scheduled to play for the U.S. team.

http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe561579716c007e761d&m=ff3617717666&ls=fdf51578746c00787714757d&l=ff031070756602&s=fe0015757567057c7c157671&jb=ffcf14&ju=fe2816727362007a711272

gw67

Greg_Newton
04-02-2009, 04:14 PM
And many of you are probably already aware, but Messrs. Plumlee, Kelly and Wall will all be on display a week later at the Jordan Brand Classic (8PM April 18th, ESPN2).

http://www.nike.com/jumpman23/classic/

Memphis Devil
04-03-2009, 11:20 AM
It's funny that Wall is listed as 6'1 on the Nike Hoop Summit site and 6'4 on the Jordan site. I would guess that 6'1 may be closer to reality.

geraldsneighbor
04-03-2009, 12:53 PM
It's funny that Wall is listed as 6'1 on the Nike Hoop Summit site and 6'4 on the Jordan site. I would guess that 6'1 may be closer to reality.

I have only seen him as listed at 6-4 so the 6-1 must be a typo.

jv001
04-03-2009, 01:47 PM
I have only seen him as listed at 6-4 so the 6-1 must be a typo.

If he comes to Duke he's 6'4 and if he goes anywhere else, he's 5-10. GoDuke!

sharpshooter88
04-10-2009, 02:00 AM
Mason Plumlee future Blue Devil will be playing in the 2009 Nike Hoop Summit this saturday!

The 2009 Nike Hoop Summit is coming this this Saturday April 11, 2009 at 7 pm Fox Sports Net (FSN) Live national broadcast at the Portland Rose Garden!

Can't wait to see the top High School Athletes playing against the world! Its going to be an exciting game, previous players that have played include: Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, Derrick Rose, Kevin Love,...and so much more! www.youtube.com/nikehoopsummit (http://www.youtube.com/nikehoopsummit)

Its also going to be online live webcast at http://nikehoopssummit.rivals.com
(http://nikehoopssummit.rivals.com)
Best game of the year for sure! Mason Plumlee will own! How good do you think Plumlee will do compared to the other top High School athletes?

billybean
04-10-2009, 12:20 PM
7PM Pacific time..... for the Hoop Summit

10PM EST...

Directv channel 646

Also, if you guys are interested, the Derby Festival Classic (bledsoe) is 7PM EST and should be available online .... www.wazoosports.com
I believe it will be streamed live... if not, they will have it available on their website eventually.

Newton_14
04-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Isn't the Nike Summit the same game where Pocius went off and scored like 40 something points against the American team? I seem to recall Marty had a really good game in one of the all-star games, just not sure which one...

roywhite
04-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Isn't the Nike Summit the same game where Pocius went off and scored like 40 something points against the American team? I seem to recall Marty had a really good game in one of the all-star games, just not sure which one...

Yeah, Marty led the World team with 20 points in a 106-98 loss to the USA team in 2005. The USA team was led by 31 pts from Tyler Hansbrough and 10 assists by Greg Paulus.

Newton_14
04-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Yeah, Marty led the World team with 20 points in a 106-98 loss to the USA team in 2005. The USA team was led by 31 pts from Tyler Hansbrough and 10 assists by Greg Paulus.

Thanks Roy. I thought that was the game. Actually thought he had more points than that, but still he played well that night.

I plan on watching the game tomorrow night and hopefully both Mason and John will have great games. After the game of course, Mason can seal the deal and convince John to join him in a championship run next year at Duke!

Only dreaming, but maybe lots of good things are about to happen for Duke, starting with signing Wall!

Go Duke! (Only 7 months til practice starts!)

verga
04-10-2009, 11:49 PM
will the game be shown in Durham on Time Warner channel 50, or is there another option?

sagegrouse
04-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Go Duke! (Only 7 months til practice starts!)

Actually only six months 'til practice begins.

sagegrouse

whereinthehellami
04-11-2009, 04:15 PM
7PM Pacific time..... for the Hoop Summit

10PM EST...

Directv channel 646

Also, if you guys are interested, the Derby Festival Classic (bledsoe) is 7PM EST and should be available online .... www.wazoosports.com
I believe it will be streamed live... if not, they will have it available on their website eventually.

I have DTV up in DC and the Hoop Summit is on CSN (646) on sunday at 3.

FireOgilvie
04-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Check out this video of some Plumlee dunks, including a successful dunk of 3 balls at once:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqmfa0MdLnc

Amazing.

Hopefully he does well in the game tonight.

FireOgilvie
04-11-2009, 10:21 PM
Wall is really, really, really impressive so far in the Nike Hoop Summit game. He has 4 points so far and at least 2 assists in only a few minutes. He also picked the PG's pocket at halfcourt and dished it off for a dunk.

Plumlee didn't really do much yet, but he had a shot blocked. He had a nice defensive play where he knocked the ball out of a guy's hand as he went to shoot. Plumlee has very quick hands.

BlueinBlo
04-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Wall is soooo good. If Carolina gets him, we are in BIG trouble.

JasonEvans
04-11-2009, 10:34 PM

Sheesh!!! I am so sick of this attitude!!

Silly angst about kids who have not committed anywhere is not the kind of thing that gets you a good reputation around this board. It is not like anyone sees Carolina as the leader for this kid or even a strong contender at this point!!

Sigh. Some of ya'll just don't know how to do anything but worry.

--Jason "stop and enjoy the ride a bit, ok?" Evans

BlueinBlo
04-11-2009, 10:39 PM

Silly angst about kids who have not committed anywhere is not the kind of thing that gets you a good reputation around this board. It is not like anyone sees Carolina as the leader for this kid or even a strong contender at this point!!

Well he mentioned Carolina in his 6 teams today. All I said if they get him we are in trouble b/c we play Carolina up to 4 times, 2 times minimum.

FireOgilvie
04-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Plumlee made a nice 3-4 foot shot. He just fouled a guy on a 3 pointer... not good. He looks solid, but he's not as good as guys like DeMarcus Cousins or Renardo Sidney.

Wall has one of the quickest first steps I've ever seen. He's just generally faster than everyone with the ball. The announcer said something like, "Explosive first step doesn't even begin to describe John Wall." He bricked a 3 pointer earlier. If he develops his shot, he could definitely be an NBA All-Star.

Wall just blocked a 3 pointer and then posterized a guy on a breakaway.

DukeFanInTerpLand
04-11-2009, 10:42 PM
Good god. Wall just threw a NASTY double clutch fast break dunk over some dude. Apparently his YouTube videos aren't an aberation. haha

miramar
04-11-2009, 10:50 PM
He seems as quick as advertised, but during his interview he really seems to be suffering over his college decision. For his sake I hope he can find a place he likes so he can get that behind him.

DukeFanInTerpLand
04-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Xavier Henry is a stud, plays on another level.

studdlee10
04-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Mason just needs to come in rebound and finish next year. He's still very much a work in progress, but it is encouraging that he is probably a better overall athletete than Cousins, Sidney, and maybe even Henson. A few more pounds and some savy will do him wonders.

FireOgilvie
04-11-2009, 11:01 PM
This has been a great game so far. I'm really impressed by both teams. The International team is better than I expected. Both teams are playing defense. Henson is really good right now, but when he puts on some weight, he's going to be a killer. Haven't noticed Leslie McDonald. Plumlee has been pretty low-key so far as well (but the 6'10" guy is much easier to pick out). The high school class of 2009 is really deep with NBA talent. Next year's draft is going to be a good one.

moonpie23
04-11-2009, 11:10 PM
which station is it playing on?

FireOgilvie
04-11-2009, 11:14 PM
which station is it playing on?

I get it on "Comcast Sportsnet." I think it's a branch of Fox Sports.

Plumlee just made an impressive move to the basket... got his shot blocked and missed both free throws. He's usually a really solid free throw shooter. I was surprised to see him miss. He altered a shot and got a rebound on the previous play.

DukeFanInTerpLand
04-11-2009, 11:17 PM
It's online too:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=910&CID=933448

DukeFanInTerpLand
04-11-2009, 11:18 PM
So there this guy playing in this game named John Wall. Anyone heard of him? I think Duke should recuit him, he seems to have some talent.

FireOgilvie
04-11-2009, 11:21 PM
So there this guy playing in this game named John Wall. Anyone heard of him? I think Duke should recuit him, he seems to have some talent.

I was thinking that too.

He and Xavier Henry are dominating this game. That block Wall had coming from behind was amazing... not to mention his steal and behind the back assist to Henry.

studdlee10
04-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Geez this kid (Wall) is good. He's even better in a structured setting.....wonder how he'd looking initiating the pressure for our D and settign up Elliot and Singler for dunks...

FireOgilvie
04-11-2009, 11:24 PM
The announcer just said Henson has a 7'4" wingspan. Crazy.

BulldogDancer81
04-11-2009, 11:26 PM
This is the first time I have been able to see Wall play and man am I impressed. For all the hoopla I have read about him on this board and on recruiting sites, it was kinda hard for me to really get behind the excitment. That has changed tonight after seeing him play.

DukeFanInTerpLand
04-11-2009, 11:27 PM
Avery bradley is a great on the ball defender, and Wall is no slouch himself.

Someone made this point already, but this is actually a pretty good game. The international team plays just like you would think, like a team. They are also big and pretty athletic. US is playing relatively well for an all-star team.

moonpie23
04-11-2009, 11:28 PM
anyone got a local TIME WARNER CHANNEL NUMBER??

DukeFanInTerpLand
04-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Henson scares me, he's really good. Just had a great putback.

DukeFanInTerpLand
04-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Watching online, sorry.

CLT Devil
04-11-2009, 11:54 PM
anyone got a local TIME WARNER CHANNEL NUMBER??

No love on the TW either...another reason to hate the evil empire. I really, really wanted to watch this game...settled for the Williams v. Wright boxing match...did I mention I mention I hate TW.

Wheat/"/"/"
04-11-2009, 11:58 PM

Sorry Jason, but that's so true...but then i'd say whoever gets him will be big trouble for everyone else.

This was my first chance to see Wall and now I see why all the hype. Add me to the list of impressed.

Wall, to Henson, to Davis for the tomahawk facial...I like the sound of that:)

CLT Devil
04-12-2009, 12:01 AM
John Wall....he good

FireOgilvie
04-12-2009, 12:17 AM
The difference in this one was the World team's big men. They had more size, and they totally dominated Cousins and Sidney. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few of those World team big men in the NBA in a couple years. I know a few of them are already on 2010 mock draft boards.

Plumlee had a below average game today (from what I've seen him do before in HS). He missed free throws, missed a dunk or two, and generally didn't look as sharp as he has been. He's not going to be playing against big men like the World team had any time soon though... maybe never in college. Those guys were impressive. Keep in mind they all play in pro leagues in Europe.

There's not much I can say about Wall that hasn't already been said. This is the first time I've seen him play in a game with elite players playing defense, and he was better than I thought he was going to be. He made a few mistakes, but it's hard to play a perfect game when you're one of the only people on your team trying to create.

There's such a huge difference between AAU and college ball, it's not surprising that when it came down to a close halfcourt game (that was actually closer to college ball), the more disciplined World team took over. The US coach was asking for the players to play a motion offense, but he did not get his wish. The US guys were standing around and looked really bad. Overall, it was a really fun game to watch. I would like to see a replay.

ikiru36
04-12-2009, 12:46 AM
I agree that Wall looked like a special talent. Henry, Sidney, Henson...etc. as well. Ya know what. They lost the game.

John Wall will make whichever school he goes to better and vastly more dynamic and fun to watch. The question to me is where is he most likely to most further develop the mixture of discipline and passion which is also necessary to be great. Tonight was my first chance to see Wall and his pure explosiveness, coupled with very good court vision (particularly when in transition) is a joy to behold. But despite all that, he's never won a State championship (despite having another good D1 prospect on his team) and now we've just watched him lose when surrounded by an exceptionally athletically gifted cast.

Meaning no particular slight to the other coaches and programs recruiting Wall, but I believe that Coach K and Duke will offer John the greatest focus on developing his simultaneous drive to be a great person and basketball star. Ask Kobe, Lebron, D. Wade...etc., whose respect Coach K earned (and who have each seemed to take their NBA games and teams to yet another level after last summer). John will likely have a good time, Sportscenter highlights, and some notable victories wherever he goes (given the high caliber of the 4 programs he's likely most considering).

But I don't believe that anyone in the world (who is also a top notch, internationally regarded basketball coach) will put more care and commitment into developing John Wall to become the greatest, most successful person he can be than Coach K.

John, I wish you all good luck and health wherever you go. You likely have no "wrong choices" out there, but no place on Earth is more right or will benefit you more in the long run than Duke University. And, oh yeah. Every, and I mean every game will more easily be watched by all basketball fans and NBA scouts than playing for any other team could provide, so that's not a bad thing either :0)

Go Duke!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FireOgilvie
04-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Xavier Henry had 22 pts. Wall finished with 13 pts, 11 assists. The World team was led by Milan Macvan (6'8" from Serbia) who finished with 23 points and 14 rebounds.

Here's a summary article:

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5in71xElSzIOgmimWY-xfwAAMysugD97GN5R80

I haven't seen an official boxscore. I think Plumlee had 2 points, maybe 3 rebounds.

FireOgilvie
04-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Plumlee: 16 minutes, 2 pts, 2 reb, 2 blocks, 1-3 fg, 0-2 ft

Wall: 30 minutes, 13 pts, 11 assists, 5 steals, 1 block, 3 turnovers, 6-12 fg, 0-2 3 pt, 1-2 ft

Henson (UNC): 17 minutes, 10 pts, 9 reb, 2 blocks

McDonald (UNC): 19 minutes, 8 pts, 0 assists, 2 reb, 4-10 fg

http://www.usabasketball.com/men/2009/09_hsum_box.pdf

Edit: The box score says Wall only had 1 block, but he had at least 2... maybe 3. He blocked a shot on a breakaway and blocked a three pointer.

Greg_Newton
04-12-2009, 03:33 AM
Wow, that was fun to watch. Wherever he goes, he is really good. I can't remember the last time I saw someone move that fast on the basketball court. I also can't remember the last time I saw someone block a shot off the backboard and be high enough that the ball bounced back and hit them in the head and then hit the backboard again. Here are my impressions of him, in areas which I was curious:

Quickness/Athleticism: Ridiculous. When he's at full speed it looks like he covers about ten feet per stride. He looked to be up there with Chris Paul in terms of pure quickness, and when it comes to end-to-end speed he may be even faster. He just had whole 'nother gear above everyone else on the court. The aforementioned head-at-rim-double-block was also impressive.

Defense/Body Language: I was very surprised and impressed with his hustle and defensive intensity. He's a very, very pesky on-ball defender, and got his hands on quite a few balls in addition to his five steals. I never saw any signs of slacking or attitude issues... he was constantly pressing the ball 25-30 feet away from the basket, running around screens and getting in passing lanes, and tearing back to challenge fast break finishes. He also may be the best shot blocking PG I've seen in like, ever.

PG skills: I was also surprised at the extent to which he truly was a pass-first point... he has great court vision and it seemed to come very natural to him to use his quickness to create for others. He could have easily had 20-25 points if he'd been selfish and finished all of his fast breaks himself, but he looked very content to sacrifice points for assists. He looked better than I expected in halfcourt sets... a couple TOs when he tried to make too much out of a broken play, but that first step is nuts.

Shooting: Hard to tell. Could be a liability, could be okay. Missed the only two jumpers he took and missed 1 of 2 FTs badly, but his form looked fine.

Size/Length: He actually looked closer to 6-1 than 6-4 to me. His wingspan looked enormous though. If you watch the replay of his double clutch two-handed dunk, his head wasn't even at net level when he dunked it... for a 6'1-6'4 guy, that means extremely long arms.

Avery Bradley was also really, really impressive... they're both going to be very good players for a long time. I thought Xavier Henry was clearly no better than the third best player tonight... he hit a lot of threes, but he also took a lot of threes, and he didn't do anything else. Wall and Bradley were really fun to watch together, I'm glad Texas isn't recruiting him...

Henson is going to be annoying.

Saratoga2
04-12-2009, 08:14 AM
The US team couldn't prevent penetration and were done in by the pass to a wide open big. No blocking out either, so there were many putbacks. What free throws we did shoot were poorly executed whereas the World Team hit a higher percentage.

On an individual note, Plumlee looks like a nice player, with good skills, but seemed a little over his head at this level. He needs work at the DIV I college level but has good tools and should become a solid performer for Duke.

John Wall is an incredible talent, with speed, athleticism and court vision and should be a first round choice after one year in college. He looked a little shorter than 6'4" to me, but that was hard to gage. He has no evidence of a jump shot and needs to develop that to become a truly unstoppable player. He may be injury prone, since he goes into the lane with reckless abandon. Hope we get this kid as it would lift the team a notch from the start.

Hensen was impressive with his height, length and athleticism. He could put some weight on to improve his impact, but UNC has a good one. Leslie McDonald and Bradley also looked very good. Xavier Henry was the best shooter.

Carlos
04-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Size/Length: He actually looked closer to 6-1 than 6-4 to me. His wingspan looked enormous though. If you watch the replay of his double clutch two-handed dunk, his head wasn't even at net level when he dunked it... for a 6'1-6'4 guy, that means extremely long arms.

I've stood next to him and he's a legit 6-4.

arnie
04-12-2009, 10:21 AM

Except that he did mention the Heels and after seeing him for the 1st time, I'm really impressed. And this was a real game, not like the McD game. Wall is also very aggressive on defense. I doubt either team signs him though, I'm betting he's off to Kentucky.

miramar
04-12-2009, 11:34 AM
I've stood next to him and he's a legit 6-4.

He looked small out there, but it just may be because there was some real beef out on the court.

dukelifer
04-12-2009, 04:23 PM
This is the first time I saw Wall play in a game. He is clearly impressively quick and explosive. He has a great handle and can definitely get to the rim. I was impressed with his court vision and his body control in the air. He will also be a very good on the ball defender. His weaknesses are that he gets a bit out of control at times - but with his explosiveness that will happen - and he has very average form on his jumpshot . You can tell that he is not very comfortable with his mid range or deep game. Many times in the game he just did not look to shoot. Bradley, on the other hand, is a much better shooter and about as explosive as Wall. You can see why that kid has risen in the rankings. It will be interesting to see how Wall progresses. He can hide his lack of shooting in the college game as he can get to the rim and will probably get 3-4 steals for breakaway jams every game. But in the pros, that jumper will be critical. I am not sure if there has been a great PG in the pros who did not have a good jumper to rely on. This is not to say that Wall cannot develop a shot- but it seems his form and release need much work.

MChambers
04-12-2009, 05:02 PM
I am not sure if there has been a great PG in the pros who did not have a good jumper to rely on. This is not to say that Wall cannot develop a shot- but it seems his form and release need much work.
Jason Kidd has done okay without much of an outside shot. But I agree with you that a decent jumper is very important in the NBA.

geraldsneighbor
04-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Wall's ability to get to the lane was truly impressive. His first step is just unreal.

-bdbd
04-13-2009, 03:25 AM

Hey Jason -- I'm with you, man! Entirely too much hand-wringing on this board. Maybe we get him, maybe we won't. But count me as one of those who LOVES this side of the College BB "competition." (Its always struck me as funny that more BB fans haven't caught on to the importance of the recruiting competition -- that a couple of keys "wins" in THIS game can make a difference of significantly changing the fortunes of entire seasons, not just a single game.)

(And BTW, we've still managed to win a few games even after missing on a few recruits like Mullins, Wellington, Ewing, Webber, Foyle, T. Thomas, A. Henderson, Bryant, P. Pierce, Livingston, Anthony, Childress, Lee, Beasley, M. Williams, Love, Patterson, Monroe, Boynton -- point is, we've been fine in the past after missing on some "all important, game changing recruits," and we'll be fine either way this time too. That said, you always want to win...) :D

Enjoy the competition folks! We've won and lost many similar battles over the years with K. He certainly wins more than his share of these too!! Have some faith in young John, too -- I'm sure he appreciates the many benefits of developing under Coach K's tuteledge, joining the program with the most players currently in The League, a coach who has mentored NBA GM's, and is widely respected among NBA superstars. We got some stuff goin' for us too! Maybe we win, but maybe we don't. But there's 300-or-so other programs out there that'd KILL for the shot we have right now with that young man (as well as two other AA's on their way in already).

Us recruiting junkies just live for this stuff! (and Jason's right, stop worrying about Kerlina -- they're a long shot at best right now....and THEY need to be more worried about what Duke might look like with guys like this playing as a cohesive (and fairly experienced) unit: Wall, Singler, Thomas, Henderson, Scheyer, Smith, E-Mail, Zoubs, Plumlee(s), Kelly, etc. all in a Royal Blue blur next year (well, maybe not Zoubs...)! :rolleyes: Now THAT could be a LOT of fun!

-BDBD

trinity92
04-13-2009, 11:58 AM
The hand wringing w/regard to Carolina getting Wall isn't just over the prospect of having to face a better Carolina 2-4 times a year. For my part, the pain and heartburn has already come from Roy getting into the game so late, even though he knew he was probably going to lose Lawson all year, and becoming a legitimate component of the recruiting story in no time at all, while we've been after Wall for a while.

JBJL8
04-13-2009, 12:52 PM
The hand wringing w/regard to Carolina getting Wall isn't just over the prospect of having to face a better Carolina 2-4 times a year. For my part, the pain and heartburn has already come from Roy getting into the game so late, even though he knew he was probably going to lose Lawson all year, and becoming a legitimate component of the recruiting story in no time at all, while we've been after Wall for a while.

You my friend have hit the nail on the head. This makes a statement that UNC can get in any game they want and be a player right now. This is the piece that has me worried and quite frankly...annoyed.

mph
04-13-2009, 02:00 PM

You my friend have hit the nail on the head. This makes a statement that UNC can get in any game they want and be a player right now. This is the piece that has me worried and quite frankly...annoyed.

I think everybody understands the downside of Wall sign with Carolina. The real issue is why so many people are killing themselves with worry over something that might not happen and over which none of us has even the slightest control. If Wall chooses Duke, I'll be happy. If he doesn't, I'll be disappointed. What's the point in giving yourself an ulcer in the meantime?

jimsumner
04-13-2009, 02:16 PM
(And BTW, we've still managed to win a few games even after missing on a few recruits like Mullins, Wellington, Ewing, Webber, Foyle, T. Thomas, A. Henderson, Bryant, P. Pierce, Livingston, Anthony, Childress, Lee, Beasley, M. Williams, Love, Patterson, Monroe, Boynton -- point is, we've been fine in the past after missing on some "all important, game changing recruits," and we'll be fine either way this time too. That said, you always want to win...) :D

?? You do realize that Duke didn't recruit half the guys on your list.

JBJL8
04-13-2009, 04:52 PM
I think everybody understands the downside of Wall sign with Carolina. The real issue is why so many people are killing themselves with worry over something that might not happen and over which none of us has even the slightest control. If Wall chooses Duke, I'll be happy. If he doesn't, I'll be disappointed. What's the point in giving yourself an ulcer in the meantime?

No ulcer here. I personally think that we have no chance of Hendo staying and even less of a chance at Wall. It kills me to see thread after thread with people mapping out what we look like with one or the other. (or for the truly dillusional-talking about if we got both of them for 09-10)

The piece I don't like is Carolina automatically getting love late in the game. It's a statement of where things are at right now and I don't like it. (just my humble look at it)

Classof06
04-13-2009, 06:09 PM
No ulcer here. I personally think that we have no chance of Hendo staying and even less of a chance at Wall. It kills me to see thread after thread with people mapping out what we look like with one or the other. (or for the truly dillusional-talking about if we got both of them for 09-10)

The piece I don't like is Carolina automatically getting love late in the game. It's a statement of where things are at right now and I don't like it. (just my humble look at it)

I don't think there's any doubt that Carolina currently has the cache that Duke simply does not. To me personally, this has already been confirmed numerous times. If Wall goes to Carolina (which could definitely happen though I see him going to UK), that would have to serve as confirmation to anyone else, even ye with the Duke-bluest of colored glasses. No way around it.

ikiru36
04-13-2009, 06:16 PM

I understand the hand-wringing over the possibility of Wall going to Carolina but there are special circumstances in this case which mean that even if the worst should happen (meaning, him going to UNC), it DOES NOT mean that Carolina can jump into the chase of any recruit at any point and simply pick them. In John's case, it seems as if he has, at least partly growing up, been a Carolina fan. A few kids recently who have chosen Duke grew up in N.C. with that affliction.

Until a couple weeks ago, it made no sense for UNC to pursue Wall if Lawson was going to be around next year. Despite Lawson's excellent play, his foot injury could easily have derailed his hopes to jump to the league this year. Since that time, his healthy and at times dominant return have made it extremely likely he's entering the draft.

Now, if I were an NC State fan (his current hometown and a team which has been recruiting him actively for years), I'd already be boiling that Duke got love from Wall as late in the game as just a few months ago (when Boynton chose Florida). At that time, Duke managed to do exactly what people are freaking (a bit) out over UNC doing right now. And if Duke had been recruiting John Wall all along, then this UNC thing would be more troublesome.

Wall considering UNC is irksome, yes! Clearly indicative of some larger sweeping shift to the balance of power, absolutely not!

I hope that John makes the best decision for him, and I firmly believe that if Coach K is recruiting him then K will make certain that Duke provides the absolutely best place for John to be successful in the short and long term. But, short of being a life-long Duke fan (in which case he'd have chosen to go to Duke already), it'd be hard under the circumstances for Wall not to have some interest in finding out more about UNC. Hopefully he'll see the light about there and UK (and KU), and join us. In any event...

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KrazyKfan
04-13-2009, 10:00 PM

He's six four I've played with him at Five-star basketball camp.