PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Dennard dunk (front page link)

rthomas
04-01-2009, 09:04 AM
From the link on the front page. That was a sweet dunk. That was THE team that made me a Duke fan forever.

In that video, the other team's 33 - how many steps does he take before missing his dunk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tfBO9WWtF0

That's for the link, DBR!

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-01-2009, 10:39 AM
From the link on the front page. That was a sweet dunk. That was THE team that made me a Duke fan forever.

In that video, the other team's 33 - how many steps does he take before missing his dunk?

I fully expected this to be the rick roll video.

Indoor66
04-01-2009, 10:46 AM

I have no idea what your post means, but I was present in Providence and saw that play. Kenny had a big grin on his face as he threw it down.

It was said that 'Nova would run Duke out of the Arena and it was the opposite as Duke ran the break over and over.

alteran
04-01-2009, 11:06 AM

Same here-- I loved those guys the way that only a kid who is 14 and has taken grief from the UNC [wankers, etc.] in Durham his whole life could.

Before them, I was a fan. After them, certifiable.

alteran
04-01-2009, 11:08 AM
I have no idea what your post means, but I was present in Providence and saw that play. Kenny had a big grin on his face as he threw it down.

It was said that 'Nova would run Duke out of the Arena and it was the opposite as Duke ran the break over and over.

I once read that Kenny said he DREAMED he would do that dunk the night before. All I know is I've been dreaming about it ever since.

Great moment-- thanks DBR.

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-01-2009, 11:16 AM

I thought it was an Aprils Fool's joke. The setup is "hey I have this great youtube link for you", one clicks on the link and is shown a lame 80s video by Rick Astley.

Indoor66
04-01-2009, 11:19 AM
I thought it was an Aprils Fool's joke. The setup is "hey I have this great youtube link for you", one clicks on the link and is shown a lame 80s video by Rick Astley.

Who is Rick Astley?

Johnboy
04-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Who is Rick Astley?

You asked for it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0).

Atldukie79
04-01-2009, 11:51 AM
This was a major moment for me too.

As a Duke pep band member, I flew to Providence with the team and sat under the basket where Dennard dunked. Keep in mind, the dunk was only recently reinstated. That was the FIRST reverse dunk I had ever seen. Ever! I don't know that I even considered it a possibility. It personified Dennad's character...fun loving, free spirited...what a blast!

It was with much anticipation (and now sadness) that I watched my son head off to Boston with the pep band to watch DUke play Villinova (can you say deja vu?)

roywhite
04-01-2009, 11:57 AM

Yeah, I was in Providence myself that weekend (really cold, snowy winter in the Northeast). The U Penn coach Weinhour (?) had not been impressed with Duke and said they were "a bunch of elephants". Coach Foster's team had some difficulty with Penn in the round of 16, and then blew out Villanova to go to the Final Four for the first time since 1966.

Kenny's dunk was awesome. It was actually before showboat dunks were very common and going behind the head on the breakaway was pretty cool. If I recall Kenny had a big grin going as he realized he was wide open and could show off a little.

That 1978 team was a great team to follow. Glad to see Kenny has maintained his interest and contacts.

TriGuy
04-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Ahhh . . great memory, but not my favorite Kenny Dennard moment.

It was a Marquette game at Cameron (and as I recall the first-ever nationally televised game from Cameron). A Marquette guard was taking a stolen pass down the court for an apparent uncontested lay-in . . . he was pulling away from the closest Duke player and the announcers were already commenting about the easy basket. From out of NOWHERE Dennard came streaking in . . . and just as the ball was released, before the ball was an inch from his hand, a huge mitt came and **cleanly** swatted the ball into the next zip-code.

Well . . . maybe a little embellished . . . but still my favorite Dennard moment . . . actually, my favorite Duke moment of the 78-79 season. I think Kenny was the furthest Duke player from the ball when the action started and I never thought he had that much speed in him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAy340eJgRc&feature=channel_page

Along a different line, who can forget the Dennard nude fold-out (with a basketball strategically positioned) and the priceless smirk on his face. I think it was in Tobacco Road. Kenny was indeed Duke Basketball's wild-child of that era . . .

DukieBoy
04-01-2009, 03:37 PM

I was right there with you. But how do people not no about Rick Rolling?!?!?!?! :D

Rogue
04-02-2009, 12:14 AM
Gawd what a block,, and dunk,, sooooooo clean,, NO FOUL..

My fav Kenny Dennard momment was an interview.. where he tells of the inbounds pass to GENE GENE THE DUNKIN MACHING, TINKERBELL, BANKS at the end of the game in Cameron.. against unc-ch. (9f 9f 9f ).. He says
" there was one second left, so I faked the throw in down to the right corner, Carolina ALWAYS goes for fakes, then hit Tinkerbell coming across and he hit the game tieing shot." DUKE went on in OT to get the win.

hq2
04-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Ah, Dennard's dunk! How could I forget! Indeed one of the great moments in Duke Basketball History! A moment of total silliness, and a memorable punctuation mark to a great game for Duke.

What people don't remember was that back then, nobody reverse dunked. The dunk had just been re-legalized the year before, and I don't remember ever seeing anyone do it in a game. When he did it, I just about hit the ceiling, it was so outrageous. What a moment, and what a memorable (in many ways) player!:D

Indoor66
04-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Ah, Dennard's dunk! How could I forget! Indeed one of the great moments in Duke Basketball History! A moment of total silliness, and a memorable punctuation mark to a great game for Duke.

What people don't remember was that back then, nobody reverse dunked. The dunk had just been re-legalized the year before, and I don't remember ever seeing anyone do it in a game. When he did it, I just about hit the ceiling, it was so outrageous. What a moment, and what a memorable (in many ways) player!:D

In addition, the rim was fixed to the backboard. There was not give or break away action. The player could easily hurt himself on the rim.