PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte, NC Theater Opportunity with BD!

Bostondevil
04-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Hey! Good news! My play 'Almost Made in Heaven' was selected by the Six in the City Festival in Charlotte, performances June 3-6. I'm going to attend at least one performance. I'll post more details later, like the name of the theater!

CameronBornAndBred
04-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Wow, that's great news BD! I'll be there a week late, going the 12th for the Jane's Addiction show, arggggh, so close. I wish you the best for the show, and for those DBR's that do make it, please fill the rest of us in. Again, too cool and congrats!

sue71, esq
04-01-2009, 01:09 AM
Woooooohoooooo! Congrats! WTG! Awesome! Rock on!

TillyGalore
04-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Hey! Good news! My play 'Almost Made in Heaven' was selected by the Six in the City Festival in Charlotte, performances June 3-6. I'm going to attend at least one performance. I'll post more details later, like the name of the theater!

Woo hoo!! Congratulations!! Is this the play with the "Coach K is sexy" line?

I'll go with you, unless you're flying in to Charlotte, in which case I hope I see you there.

Bostondevil
04-01-2009, 08:49 AM
Yes. I have to be in the audience to hear the reaction to 'Coach K is sexy'. I don't know yet if I'm flying to Durham or to Charlotte. I'll keep you posted. If I fly to Durham, I'll mark you down for a seat in the car that goes to Charlotte!

CathyCA
04-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!

TillyGalore
04-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Yes. I have to be in the audience to hear the reaction to 'Coach K is sexy'. I don't know yet if I'm flying to Durham or to Charlotte. I'll keep you posted. If I fly to Durham, I'll mark you down for a seat in the car that goes to Charlotte!

Do I have your permission to let a "woo hoo" or something like that when the line is delivered?

DukieInKansas
04-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Congratulations, BD! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

CLT Devil
04-01-2009, 09:36 AM

That ought to get quite a reaction down here...be careful what you say, there's Tarholes in them there woods.

Where is it playing? I live in CLT, might check it out.

2535Miles
04-01-2009, 10:08 AM
This is so cool! I'll be moving back to Charlotte a week or two before the show. I told BD last night that I would be her first fan to see a play on both coasts. :D

sue71 and I went to mini-festival last year and got to see 'Cloud 7'. We had a great time.

Anyone interested in getting together for dinner, drinks prior to or after the showing? BD, let us know when you're coming into town so we can scare up your groupies. Maybe it's time for Bostondevil Gate. :D

Bostondevil
04-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Performance dates are June 3-6. I'll be at either the 5th or the 6th, maybe both. I'll keep you posted.

They don't have the info up yet but here's the website, http://www.leestreet.org. Actually, the theater is in Salisbury, I just found out, which IIRC is right next to Charlotte.

Bostondevil
04-01-2009, 01:22 PM
OK, I went to the map, Salisbury is near Charlotte but not as near as I thought. (Just to clarify that I'm not a complete idiot, the theater listed itself as being in Charlotte but when I went to the website, the address is Salisbury.)

2535Miles
04-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Salisbury is halfway between Charlotte and Greensboro. Anyone representing Greensboro wanna meet up? Can anyone recommend a good bbq joint in Salisbury?

Bostondevil
04-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Miles gets the award for Best Bicoastal Fan!!!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
04-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Salisbury is halfway between Charlotte and Greensboro. Anyone representing Greensboro wanna meet up? Can anyone recommend a good bbq joint in Salisbury?
Salisbury is closer to the Triangle than Charlotte is, so maybe we can get a group up. Oops, I have a conflict that weekend (Member - Guest golf tourney) and won't be able to go.

If we start talking Q this thread will have to get moved to the main board and merged with the Duke vs. Kentucky thread. ;)

Bostondevil
04-03-2009, 12:31 AM
OK, true story, got an email from one of the folks involved with the festival who needed a bio from me for the program. I write back the usual stuff, blah, blah, plays produced, blah, blah, thank you Lee Street Theater. Ended with "Just in case you were wondering, no, watching the Laettner shot never gets old."

So this guy sends me back a thank you for the bio plus an attached photo of Tyler Hansborough dunking on somebody. So I send him back the link to Ken(ny) Dennard's dunk from YouTube (Thank you Kenny!). So he sends me another photo of Psycho T, this time dunking on a Duke guy. So I send him back my 'favorite Hansborough moment' which is, of course, G breaking his nose. Then I send him another video of Hansborough looking like he's trying to hit somebody in the face and missing and really, just looking like a total wuss. So he sends me a video of his favorite 'Greg Paulus moment' which shows Paulus caught in a 3 on 1, going for a charge, and quite frankly getting some Carolina dude's crotch in his face as he falls to the floor. To which I responded "You're right! That is a great Greg Paulus moment. Man that dude is tough, and willing to do anything for his team. And thank you! That's such a great example video to use in a Duke gets all the calls argument because that is so clearly a charge, Paulus has his feet set." I then asked him if he'd ever seen that class photo of the kid in the Duke shirt where everybody else, including the teacher, was crowded over on the other side of the bleachers. I explained that I was that kid in elementary school, in Durham no less, and that I had such a looooong history of Tarheels getting up in my face going back to third grade that really, we might as well call a truce. I haven't heard back from him, so, we'll see.

sue71, esq
04-03-2009, 01:24 AM
OK, true story, got an email from one of the folks involved with the festival who needed a bio from me for the program. I write back the usual stuff, blah, blah, plays produced, blah, blah, thank you Lee Street Theater. Ended with "Just in case you were wondering, no, watching the Laettner shot never gets old."

So this guy sends me back a thank you for the bio plus an attached photo of Tyler Hansborough dunking on somebody. So I send him back the link to Ken(ny) Dennard's dunk from YouTube (Thank you Kenny!). So he sends me another photo of Psycho T, this time dunking on a Duke guy. So I send him back my 'favorite Hansborough moment' which is, of course, G breaking his nose. Then I send him another video of Hansborough looking like he's trying to hit somebody in the face and missing and really, just looking like a total wuss. So he sends me a video of his favorite 'Greg Paulus moment' which shows Paulus caught in a 3 on 1, going for a charge, and quite frankly getting some Carolina dude's crotch in his face as he falls to the floor. To which I responded "You're right! That is a great Greg Paulus moment. Man that dude is tough, and willing to do anything for his team. And thank you! That's such a great example video to use in a Duke gets all the calls argument because that is so clearly a charge, Paulus has his feet set." I then asked him if he'd ever seen that class photo of the kid in the Duke shirt where everybody else, including the teacher, was crowded over on the other side of the bleachers. I explained that I was that kid in elementary school, in Durham no less, and that I had such a looooong history of Tarheels getting up in my face going back to third grade that really, we might as well call a truce. I haven't heard back from him, so, we'll see.

ROFL!!! That is awesome! You showed him! :D:D:D

ArkieDukie
04-03-2009, 08:05 AM

Great job, BD! Hilarious! I noticed that you had videos of multiple Duke players and yet he could only send Hansbrough videos. What does that say about unc vs Duke? :cool: (PS: if he should dare respond and you need additional videos, how about the Phil Henderson dunk over Alonzo Mourning?)

2535Miles
04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Then I send him another video of Hansborough looking like he's trying to hit somebody in the face and missing and really, just looking like a total wuss.
Can you link me please? :D

Bostondevil
04-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Here you go, it's even labelled Tyler Hansborough Sissy Slap on YouTube. Unfortunately the picture quality isn't the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8HwU-toj2g

DukieInKansas
04-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Here you go, it's even labelled Tyler Hansborough Sissy Slap on YouTube. Unfortunately the picture quality isn't the best.

That link led me to find the following:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM9wNd6viHM&feature=related

Hansbrough is not the only tar heel Muppet. :D

captmojo
04-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Can anyone recommend a good bbq joint in Salisbury?

Add me to those wishing the best of legs to be broken.

Lexington is a mere 15 or so, miles north of Salisbury, up I85. More joints than you can shake a pig at. The great Lexington BBQ festival is in October. Maybe it could be held over that long??????????

Bostondevil
04-14-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm not sure where to post this but here seems as good a place as any. I mailed Coach K a copy of the play. I thought he might need something to do in the off season ;). He emailed me today! He said the play was great and that he loved the ending. How cool is that?

And my new best friend at Lee Street Theater found this thread (he of the Tyler Hansborough photos), he sent me yet another photo but also said he would wear a Duke shirt to the performance of 'Almost Made in Heaven' on the night that I attend. (RJ? I'm coming on Saturday the 6th.)

DukieInKansas
04-15-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm not sure where to post this but here seems as good a place as any. I mailed Coach K a copy of the play. I thought he might need something to do in the off season ;). He emailed me today! He said the play was great and that he loved the ending. How cool is that?

And my new best friend at Lee Street Theater found this thread (he of the Tyler Hansborough photos), he sent me yet another photo but also said he would wear a Duke shirt to the performance of 'Almost Made in Heaven' on the night that I attend. (RJ? I'm coming on Saturday the 6th.)

Very cool! Maybe he'll show up for the play. Or at least get you a better looking blue shirt for the Boston Marathon! :D

Highlander
04-15-2009, 12:45 AM
Can anyone recommend a good bbq joint in Salisbury?

Add me to those wishing the best of legs to be broken.

Lexington is a mere 15 or so, miles north of Salisbury, up I85. More joints than you can shake a pig at. The great Lexington BBQ festival is in October. Maybe it could be held over that long??????????

Don't bother driving to Lexington; I can suggest two in Salisbury. One of the oldest is Richard's BBQ (http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_pages/richards_large.html). It was originally T&F, and has been around since 1935. My parents love it. Their red slaw is not chopped as fine as I like it, but the 'cue is tasty.

There is also Hendrix BBQ (http://maps.google.com/maps?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4DKUS_enUS276US276&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Hendrix+BBQ&near=Concord,+N+Carolina&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&latlng=4267301543707758777), but I can't speak for it's quality.

As someone who grew up on Salisbury 'cue, I can say the folks in this town think Lexington BBQ is for people who were too lazy to drive to Salisbury to get the real thing :).

2535Miles
04-15-2009, 05:03 PM

____ Yeah! Thanks for the link.