PDA

View Full Version : AP A-A; Gerald 3rd team; Seth's brother 1st team

roywhite
03-30-2009, 01:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4027698

Blake Griffin unanimous

MADevil30
03-30-2009, 01:26 PM
Congrats to G, great accomplishment, especially considering the way he played in the non-conference May he move up to the first team next season and see #15 go up into the rafters in 2010

NYDukie
03-30-2009, 01:26 PM
So if you do the math, you could speculate that G would be 1st team pre-season all american next year. Is that enough incentive for him to stay?

houstondukie
03-30-2009, 02:25 PM
So if you do the math, you could speculate that G would be 1st team pre-season all american next year. Is that enough incentive for him to stay?

1st team
B. Griffen - SO - NBA
T. Hansbrough - SR
D. Blair - SO
S. Curry - JR
J. Harden - SO

2nd team
H. Thabeet - JR - NBA
T. Lawson - JR - NBA
J. Mcneal - SR
J. Meeks - JR
L. Harangody - JR

3rd team
T. Williams - SR
T. Douglas - SR
S. Young - SR
S. Collins - JR
GERALD HENDERSON - JR

5 seniors means Henderson is in the top 10 of players with remaining college eligibility. B. Griffen, H. Thabeet, and T. Lawson are locks for the NBA. That means that if at least 2 more players, from a list of Meeks, Curry, Harden, Blair, Harangody, and Collins go pro...AND G RETURNS..."if you do the math" G will be a preseason 1st team AA and many expert's pick to win NPOY.

With Kyle Singler already returning, next year's team could have 2 players on the pre-season All-AA teams.

sandinmyshoes
03-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Flip side is that it means Gerald is one of the top 15 players in college. There are what, 16 lottery picks? Of course, the number of players not making the AA list who might be taken on "potential" is working for us.

NYDukie
03-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Again, it goes to show how much of a flip of the coin it will be for G. I'm sure he has the proper resources to make a educated decision but man, it will be a tough decision as he could be a lottery pick or a unlucky faller in the draft. Either way, there unfortunately will be a lot of second guessing by fans, pundits and himself until draft day ultimately comes, this year or not. Good luck to him with the eventual decision because he seems, and I don't pretend to know anyone who knows him, like a genuinely good kid, liked by his coaches and teammates.

CDu
03-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Flip side is that it means Gerald is one of the top 15 players in college. There are what, 16 lottery picks? Of course, the number of players not making the AA list who might be taken on "potential" is working for us.

That's not really a proper way to look at it. The NBA doesn't use All-American status as a means of rating players (just like we shouldn't use HS All-American status as a means for rating college players). To illustrate? Of the list of guys in front of Henderson on that list, I'd say only Griffin and Thabeet are ahead of Henderson in terms of draft status with any certainty. Curry and Lawson may also be ahead, depending upon draft needs. And I'd say Henderson competes with Harden and Meeks as undersized shooting guards with various advantages.

And it ignores the Euro contribution and (as you mentioned) "upside" guys. I'm guessing Henderson's stock is somewhere between 5 and 25. That is going to depend upon how teams feel about each of the multitude of SG available as well as upon how many underclassmen decide to declare.

marinbobbyduhon
04-08-2009, 04:10 PM
I didn't see anyone mention that Kyle received Honorable Mention which is quite an accomplishment for a Sophomore, IMO. Congrats Kyle. I hope to see you as an AA next year and I think you can become a 1st Team AA like G, if he stays! Here's the list:

HONORABLE MENTION

Jeff Adrien, Connecticut; Josh Akognon, Cal State Fullerton; Cole Aldrich, Kansas; Alex Barnett, Dartmouth; Marqus Blakely, Vermont; Craig Brackins, Iowa State; Michael Bramos, Miami (Ohio); Jon Brockman, Washington; Brandon Brooks, Alabama State; John Bryant, Santa Clara.

Chase Budinger, Arizona; DeMarre Carroll, Missouri; Jeremy Chappell, Robert Morris; Dionte Christmas, Temple; Earl Clark, Louisville; Darren Collison, UCLA; Dante Cunningham, Villanova; Devan Downey, South Carolina; Tyreke Evans, Memphis; Levance Fields, Pittsburgh.

Jonny Flynn, Syracuse; Kenny Hasbrouck, Siena; Jordan Hill, Arizona; Matt Howard, Butler; Lester Hudson, Tennessee-Martin; Matt Kingsley, Stephen F. Austin; Kalin Lucas, Michigan State; Eric Maynor, Virginia Commonwealth; Kellen McCoy, Weber State; Tywain McKee, Coppin State.

Orlando Mendez-Valdez, Western Kentucky; Derrick Mercer, American; Luke Nevill, Utah; Ahmad Nivins, Saint Joseph's; Artsiom Parakhouski, Radford; A.J. Price, Connecticut; Alex Renfroe, Belmont; Tyrese Rice, Boston College; Kyle Singler, Duke; Jermaine Taylor, Central Florida.

Jeff Teague, Wake Forest; Marcus Thornton, LSU; Evan Turner, Ohio State; Jarvis Varnado, Mississippi State; Gary Wilkinson, Utah State; Booker Woodfox, Creighton; Ben Woodside, North Dakota State.

Icarus09
04-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Again, it goes to show how much of a flip of the coin it will be for G. I'm sure he has the proper resources to make a educated decision but man, it will be a tough decision as he could be a lottery pick or a unlucky faller in the draft. Either way, there unfortunately will be a lot of second guessing by fans, pundits and himself until draft day ultimately comes, this year or not. Good luck to him with the eventual decision because he seems, and I don't pretend to know anyone who knows him, like a genuinely good kid, liked by his coaches and teammates.

There's a good article by the Duke Chronicle about the resources that G has at his disposal.

http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2009/04/08/MBasketball/Committee.Helps.Guide.Future.Pros-3701926.shtml