PDA

View Full Version : So, Who's gonna take UNC out, now?

JStuart
03-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Didn't see the game, but over the radio, sounded like OU couldn't shoot from outside the arc. I'm afraid the brackets have given UNC an easier than expected path to the title.
Please persuade me that Villanova/Mich. State/UCon can take them out!

DukieBoy
03-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Unfortunately, I think the only team that could take them down now would be...gulp....UConn:(

The have size inside to stop Hansbrough, Davis, etc. and good guards outside to battle with Lawson, Green, Ellington.

But I'm still praying for a 0-0 tie if they meet in the finals.

doctorhook
03-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Don't count out Nova! That would take a little sting out of our loss.

wolfpackdevil
03-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Connecticut seems like the only team that can.

UNC beat the Spartans by about 25 earlier in the year, in the sam arena they will be playing the final four in.

And Villanova doesn't have the inside game to slow down Hansbrough, Thompson, and Davis.

Connecticut has a great young PG in Kemba Walker, who can give Lawson a lot of trouble.

AJ Price is a great outside shooter and is a stud.

And finally, Thabeet, Adrian and Robinson are great on the Boards.

I am actually going to root for UNC on saturday if UConn wins, because I thing a matchup between UNC and UCONN would be one of the best National Championships in a long time

CDu
03-29-2009, 09:19 PM
Didn't see the game, but over the radio, sounded like OU couldn't shoot from outside the arc. I'm afraid the brackets have given UNC an easier than expected path to the title.

Well, UConn was always the best bet to beat UNC. They have the size to do it, and they have the perimeter guys to do it. If they get past MSU (who will be playing essentially a home game), I think they'll be a formidable foe.

MSU is less likely. They do have a healthier team with Suton, Roe, and Morgan playing better (or at all) now, but they did get hammered by UNC in the ACC/Big-10 challenge. I don't think they can do it without help from UNC.

Villanova will be an interesting matchup. They will attack on the perimeter defensively, and they'll exploit UNC's defense. They've proven that they can compete with bigger teams, but they haven't had to deal with a player of Lawson's ability. I don't think they will beat UNC, but I think they can do it. Especially if they can keep Cunningham out of foul trouble and they're hitting their shots.

Ultimately, though, I think it's going to be UConn/UNC in the title game, and that's going to be a tough matchup to pick. It may depend upon who gets in foul trouble sooner or who has the bigger game between Robinson and Green.

Newton_14
03-29-2009, 09:25 PM

I am sticking by my guns that Nova takes the holes down. Nova has tons of athletes, and lots of strength and physical players to overcome the size advantage that unc will have. Plus I think Nova is well coached and are smart enough to only run when they have an obvious advantage. Other than that they will slow the pace a bit and make unc work to defend in the half court set as well as have to score in the half court set.

Nova will spread them and use drives and kicks, and they have better shooters than OU had. Plus Nova is a very physical, tough team that will battle like heck on the boards and will apply pressure D relentlessly. The holes will have to work hard to get open looks on the perimeter and will find it way more difficult to score in the paint. They have not seen a defense in this tourney anything close to what Nova will show them.

I may be crazy, but I really think Nova can do this. Should I be wrong, and the toe heels make it to Monday, I believe they will meet up with the convicts and I just don't see them beating two Big East teams in a row.

Because unc ran Mich State out of the gym earlier this year, I do not have faith that MSU could take them if it comes to that...

Go Nova! GTHC

captmojo
03-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Don't put Nova on the line. What did they shoot Saturday night? 22 for 23?
Compare that with the Sooners today. and not just at the free throw line. Consider the three point line, or most any shot not taken by Blake Griffin. Villanova has proven to be much more reliably consistent than what was seen from Oklahoma today.

The best indicator, I think, is comparing Villanova's play to Oklahoma's. unc played well on defense but Villanova has what seems to be much better talented guard play and a man in the middle that can get the job done. They have been through the wars in their conference and look to be as prepared as any of what is left, going to Detroit with them.

It is really much more wide open, to anyone's preference, for trying to make a case for predicting a winner over any loser. Parity is obvious at this point. Michigan State, for example, would not have been guessed by many experts, to be able to hold Louisville down to just 52 points today.

It's anyone of the four's to win.

DBFAN
03-29-2009, 09:38 PM
I hear people saying that Villanova can not handle the inside of UNC, seems to me they have beaten Pitt with Blair. And if I am not mistaken they have a little bit of revenge factor after the phantom travel call against them in 05. I like the way Villanova is playing.

grossbus
03-29-2009, 09:53 PM
uconnvict vs unc would be a nightmare matchup. a losing proposition. i would probably not watch.

gofurman
03-29-2009, 10:15 PM
1) uconn
2) nova
3) msu - i hope it doesn't come down to needing these guys to stop carolina

FerryFor50
03-29-2009, 10:36 PM
I think MSU has a shot to avenge their loss. They were without Suton the last time they played, and Kalin Lucas has blossomed nicely. They have a deep team and a solid frontcourt. Plus, they'd be at home and motivated - they've been playing very well lately.

That said, I think UConn presents the best challenge, and Nova might knock em out, too. I just hope SOMEONE does it. I'd much rather hear people harp about how great the Big East is than to hear how UNC won the NC.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-29-2009, 10:42 PM
It's anyone of the four's to win.

Right, whoever plays best will win, they are all capable of winning it.

UNC has shown great balance and is playing better defense than many want to credit them with. So that's a plus.

And they still have not put it all together yet....everyone playing a good game at the same time. Is that due to happen?

Lawson is stepping up his play to a level that has surprised me, which is clutch. Having a player like that is something every championship team seems to always have.

UNC is strong in all areas, and the post has quality depth. They are in great condition, push it, and Roy's subbing patterns keep them fresh. It's hard for teams to match UNC's game pace, especially if they get behind and have to work extra hard to catch up. Teams facing UNC tend to get tired.

Only thing that worries me about UNC is that in a close game they might not play smart. This is not a thinking man's team, like Duke was this year.

Fortunately they have the talent to keep it from getting too close if they play well. We'll see.

I like UNC's odds.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-29-2009, 10:46 PM
I hear people saying that Villanova can not handle the inside of UNC, seems to me they have beaten Pitt with Blair. And if I am not mistaken they have a little bit of revenge factor after the phantom travel call against them in 05. I like the way Villanova is playing.

I was actually pulling for Pitt the other night. Would rather have seen UNC play them after watching them play a couple of times close.

Only seen Villanove play the Pitt game, and they looked smart, balanced and focused.

Really wanted Pitt to win....:(

dukemsu
03-29-2009, 10:55 PM
UNC is clearly the favorite.

But any of the three can get them. Yes, I sound like a homer, but MSU made a believer out of me today. They beat Lousiville from pillar to post, and Pitino had absolutely no answers. I did not think anyone could beat Louisville into submission, but that's what happened today. UNC would have to be a bit off their game, but if they were to meet MSU, I like Izzo's chances to put together a game plan on a quick turnoaround.

MSU simply is not the same basketball team UNC beat up earlier this year. Totally different team, and they'd be playing a de facto home game.

All that said, UConn is the likely matchup and I would pick them to beat UNC. Thabeet is one thing, but Adrien is the guy Carolina can't match. Nova will love the underdog role and Wright has been waiting for this moment his entire career.

The Heels are the favorite. But they will have to play fantastic basketball to win two games in three days.

dukemsu

freedevil
03-29-2009, 11:08 PM
I don't foresee UNC losing. Sigh.

ncexnyc
03-30-2009, 12:25 AM
I like Nova's chance to knock-off the holes. Yes, they don't have alot of size, but they have quick guards and they play excellent defense.

UCONN looks like a good match-up on paper, but I just get a bad feeling about this team after watching them on Saturday.

MSU got rocked by the holes at the start of the season, but the Spartans are now healthy and they have Tom Izzo, who is one of the better big game coaches out there. They do a great job of making games ugly.

Kewlswim
03-30-2009, 12:37 AM
Hi,

The way I look at it, 50% of the Final Four is teams that seem like a Dukie should have no problems with winning it all. Coach Izzo seems like a good guy, is there really a reason to dislike MSU? Villanova whipped us fair and square. I could understand being irked (I am), but really is there any reason (besides that) to dislike Villanova? They too seem to have a good coach who is likable. The kids seem pretty good (I mean as people, we all know about their prowess on the court). I wouldn't mind either of those teams cutting down the nets. Furthermore, things are really, really bad in Michigan. Why not let the good folks up there have something to get excited about?

GO 'NOVA! GO MSU! well, really, GO DUKE! (but that won't be happening on the court until next season)

1999ballboy
03-30-2009, 12:56 AM
=Because unc ran Mich State out of the gym earlier this year, I do not have faith that MSU could take them if it comes to that...=

Don't forget 2001 when Virginia beat us after losing to us by 40 in the first meeting. Besides, MSU has improved dramatically since the start of the season. Plus, they have something to prove. However, I'm not sure they have the power inside and think UConn or Nova may have a better shot. All 3 are capable of knocking them off. Just depends on who shows up to play.

brevity
03-30-2009, 02:20 AM
I don't foresee UNC losing. Sigh.

This is an older phenomenon, but UNC has a fair history of going 0-1 in the Final Four. Consider...

Dean Smith
1967: 0-1 (lost to Dayton)
1968: 1-1 (beat Ohio State, lost to UCLA)
1969: 0-1 (lost to Purdue)
1972: 0-1 (lost to Florida State)
1977: 1-1 (beat UNLV, lost to Marquette)
1981: 1-1 (beat Virginia, lost to Indiana)
1982: 2-0 (beat Houston and Georgetown)
1991: 0-1 (lost to Kansas)
1993: 2-0 (beat Kansas and Michigan)
1995: 0-1 (lost to Arkansas)
1997: 0-1 (lost to Arizona)

Bill Guthridge
1998: 0-1 (lost to Utah)
2000: 0-1 (lost to Florida)

Matt Doherty
No Final Four appearances

Roy Williams
2005: 2-0 (beat Michigan State and Illinois)
2008: 0-1 (lost to Kansas)

That's 9 semifinal exits in 15 Final Fours (not including pre-Dean Smith appearances in 1946 and 1957). Duke, by comparison, tends to get to the title game more often once they make the Final Four.

I know it may hurt a little for some of you, but root for Villanova. They have been fortunate in close games, and are much more solid at perimeter shooting and rebounding than your standard so-called undersized team. Also, they have karma on their side against Carolina after the great sham of 2005.

heyman25
03-30-2009, 06:21 AM
Well, UConn was always the best bet to beat UNC. They have the size to do it, and they have the perimeter guys to do it. If they get past MSU (who will be playing essentially a home game), I think they'll be a formidable foe.

MSU is less likely. They do have a healthier team with Suton, Roe, and Morgan playing better (or at all) now, but they did get hammered by UNC in the ACC/Big-10 challenge. I don't think they can do it without help from UNC.

Villanova will be an interesting matchup. They will attack on the perimeter defensively, and they'll exploit UNC's defense. They've proven that they can compete with bigger teams, but they haven't had to deal with a player of Lawson's ability. I don't think they will beat UNC, but I think they can do it. Especially if they can keep Cunningham out of foul trouble and they're hitting their shots.

Ultimately, though, I think it's going to be UConn/UNC in the title game, and that's going to be a tough matchup to pick. It may depend upon who gets in foul trouble sooner or who has the bigger game between Robinson and Green.

I think UCONN"s the most likely to knock off the heels. They might not get the chance. Villanova if they continue to play like their last 2 games watch out Carolina.You Heels may be crying back to Chapel Hill.Even MSU is playing good ball. To take Louisville out of their game these guys can execute Izzo's plans very well.They may shock UCONN. However if UCONN gets into a Final 4 they always win 2 games.

bjornolf
03-30-2009, 07:47 AM
I like Nova's chances. They already took Pitt. Everybody says that they are a "better" Duke, or a Duke with more athleticism. We had a really tight one with Carolina in that last game. If Nova really is a better version of us, then I think they have a good shot. They should watch tape of our last game with Carolina and learn from our mistakes, then play their game. I think they can do it. I would LOVE to see a Nova MSU final. That would be AWESOME.

slower
03-30-2009, 08:02 AM

I think UConn can do it.

captmojo
03-30-2009, 09:34 AM
...worth mention is that most all teams have opening game "jitters" that appear most prevalent for the first game at the next venue. Get by the first half of the first game and these "jitters" seem to dissipate. This could be a very contributing factor in the game as relates to unc.

As a standback observe,r without a dog in the fight, (no vick reference) the bunch I think with the better chance in a final game, is :eek:unc, due to their abilities to hit the outside shots against either conn or MSU. Underneath the basket may be a different story but beyond the line, 3>2. Right? Ellington, Lawson and Green (Oh my!) in the finals, can make up for the defense that would be put on them in the interior.

Oh yeah... Lest we forget, it also depends on how many steps are allowed by certain post players, without a dribble, before a zebra can bring himself to wince hard and blow his whistle. :cool:

quickgtp
03-30-2009, 09:36 AM
No one left will beat UNC unfortunately.

moonpie23
03-30-2009, 09:45 AM
i think uconn CAN do it......it will remain to be seen if they do...

remember, last year, the holes were looking about the same....un-stoppable.

i don't know if vila can hang with them the entire time....we've seen a LOT of defenses wear down the holes' offensive juggernaut......but it's such a beast, the only way to beat them is to have a really good offensive game too boot..

i don't think msu can do it.....

ugh, it's looking more and more like another title for them......

Matches
03-30-2009, 09:53 AM
i don't know if vila can hang with them the entire time....we've seen a LOT of defenses wear down the holes' offensive juggernaut......but it's such a beast, the only way to beat them is to have a really good offensive game too boot..

Nova seems to me like a much better version of Maryland. I think they can do it if they play as well as they did against Duke and Pitt.

I picked MSU to win it all before the tournament began, and I'm sticking with that.

whereinthehellami
03-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Will UNC's next game be a battle?
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/otherside0009/tylerhansbrough.jpg

Or a blowout?
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2366/hansblowout.jpg

ClosetHurleyFan
03-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Nova seems to me like a much better version of Maryland. I think they can do it if they play as well as they did against Duke and Pitt.

I picked MSU to win it all before the tournament began, and I'm sticking with that.

Guard play wins these things and right now, no guard in country is playing better or more efficient than Ty Lawson. Frankly, his performance warrants stronger consideration for National Player of the Year. His assist to turnover ratio is unbelievable, he shoots nearly 50 percent from 3 point line and has been totally unstoppable in transition and going to hole in half court set. He has become the guard everyone thought he could at Carolina.

Also, I think Deon Thompson has been quietly fantastic for UNC, particularly hitting 10 to 12 foot jumpers around the basket...

I see Carolina winning a close dogfight on Saturday and winning by 8 to 10 on Monday whoever they play. Assuming of course we dont see a Shammond Williams type slump in shooting from the Carolina guards and Green.

But I will say that Nova worries me as a UNC fan more than either team we would potentially play on Monday.

moonpie23
03-30-2009, 11:24 AM
i think ty WOULD have been mentioned in the POY talk but now that everyone knows the whole "toe" thing was bogus, it somehow taints his year...

bjornolf
03-30-2009, 12:03 PM
The problem is that Carolina has just too many weapons to try to stop them defensively. If you wear yourself out playing defense on them, you CAN limit them, but you won't score either cause they'll defend just well enough to limit you too and they win with their superior weapons. If you turn it into a grinding game, they'll grind and play D. They didn't lose a game where they scored under 78 points. I think Jeff Capel would have liked his chances if you told him his Oklahoma team would hold Carolina to 72 points. If you look at Carolina's three losses in the regular season (I don't count the ACCT cause they didn't have Lawson), they scored 78, 85, and 89 points. I think you have to play just enough defense to get a few stops, hold them a LITTLE below their average, but mostly I think you have to concentrate on YOUR offense and try to get them in a scoring contest. If you can do that, I think that's when they forget to play defense and you can expose them. Of course, this means YOU have to make YOUR shots. Trying to shut them down just isn't going to work IMHO. It's the old "you can't stop them, you can only hope to contain them." Don't try to stop them, just try to contain them, but make sure you spend the energy on the offensive end to score on them. I think Villanova has the horses to get into that kind of contest with them.

moonpie23
03-30-2009, 03:10 PM
they are like the patriots.(well, with brady anyway)

you had BETTER score each time you have the ball, cause THEY are gonna score almost every time THEY have the ball...

UrinalCake
03-30-2009, 04:56 PM
I want Nova to win, but if they do it will hurt a little bit in the sense that they are so much like us, so I'll feel like we should have done better. This sounds a little insane given how thoroughly we were beaten, but I really feel like we could beat Nova if we played again. And for all the talk about Duke having no post player, Nova doesn't really have one either, so if they win it all then we'll sort of not have any excuses for why we didn't do better. Except that we had to play Nova.

Not sure if any of that made sense, but I think having Nova win it all will take a lot of the sting out of this season for me.

weezie
03-30-2009, 05:03 PM
The problem is that Carolina has just too many weapons

That's it in a nutshell. The only thing I'm looking forward to at the FF is hearing the wonderful, musical BOOOOOS!!!! that will rain down on the 'holes when they take the court.
Can't wait to enjoy the Spartan cacaphony :cool:

FerryFor50
03-30-2009, 05:07 PM
I want Nova to win, but if they do it will hurt a little bit in the sense that they are so much like us, so I'll feel like we should have done better. This sounds a little insane given how thoroughly we were beaten, but I really feel like we could beat Nova if we played again. And for all the talk about Duke having no post player, Nova doesn't really have one either, so if they win it all then we'll sort of not have any excuses for why we didn't do better. Except that we had to play Nova.

Not sure if any of that made sense, but I think having Nova win it all will take a lot of the sting out of this season for me.

I agree - I think Duke beat themselves moreso than Nova beating Duke. I also tend to think Oklahoma beat themselves over UNC beating them.

spifi
03-30-2009, 05:14 PM
...worth mention is that most all teams have opening game "jitters" that appear most prevalent for the first game at the next venue. Get by the first half of the first game and these "jitters" seem to dissipate. This could be a very contributing factor in the game as relates to unc.

Problem for Nova with the above is that UNC has final four experience AND has experience in that dome THIS season already. They have neither. So while it may be that nobody has them, it seems more likely it'll be Nova that does. But the other poster talking about MSU fans is right, because unlike UNC's meeting earlier this season at Ford Field, this time the place will have a LOT more MSU fans in attendance. Sounded like it was empty-feeling in there the last time, but I'm sure that won't be the case this time. But UConn plays MSU in the first game on Saturday, so if MSU gets beat then I doubt the MSU fans will hang around just to boo UNC. If MSU beats UConn, however, then things could get interesting...

captmojo
03-30-2009, 06:34 PM

I normally pull for the one that beat me. This puts me in a position to say that my effort was no less than anyone else, given that everyone else lost to the same group.

Problem for Nova with the above is that UNC has final four experience AND has experience in that dome THIS season already. They have neither. So while it may be that nobody has them, it seems more likely it'll be Nova that does.

That's kind of the point I was making.

Buckeye Devil
03-30-2009, 08:55 PM
I have always thought that it would end up being UConn and UNC with a no choice situation for a Duke fan other than to go to be early.

But I am not ready to totally discount either 'Nova or MSU, especially MSU. The Spartans really play lock-down defense and they looked good against Louisville. They are better than everyone gave them credit for being because they were from the low-esteemed Big 10. Izzo is a good coach who doesn't get a lot of attention or hype. But in Big 10 country, we love the guy.

Go Spartans!

brsett
03-30-2009, 08:57 PM
I agree - I think Duke beat themselves moreso than Nova beating Duke. I also tend to think Oklahoma beat themselves over UNC beating them.

Really? Duke looked pretty bad in that game, I'll leave it at that.

I actually thought Oklahoma played much better than I expected. I thought they would lose by closer to 20 (and be down by 30 at some point). They stunk at defense, all year, and had they not imposed their tempo, it would have been ugly. I knew Blake Griffin was good, but I was surprised by the athleticism of Taylor. The rest of their team was clueless.

Nova on the other hand can play some ball. And Jay Wright can coach (no offense to Capel, but I doubt he's on many folks short list after that game). If UNC can squeeze past Nova, MSU and UConn don't stand a prayer, particularly on short turnaround. Nope, its Nova with the upset or the heels get the NC imo.

JDev
03-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Really? Duke looked pretty bad in that game, I'll leave it at that.

I actually thought Oklahoma played much better than I expected. I thought they would lose by closer to 20 (and be down by 30 at some point). They stunk at defense, all year, and had they not imposed their tempo, it would have been ugly. I knew Blake Griffin was good, but I was surprised by the athleticism of Taylor. The rest of their team was clueless.

You must have had the absolute lowest expectations possible for OU if they played better than you expected! They missed their first 15 threes, many of which were open shots out of Griffin double teams, UNC scored on 90% of their possessions in the second half, and their only other double figure scorer (Warren) was basically non-existant. I think UNC is the better team, and probably would win regardless, but OU played terrible.

brsett
03-30-2009, 09:16 PM
You must have had the absolute lowest expectations possible for OU if they played better than you expected! They missed their first 15 threes, many of which were open shots out of Griffin double teams, UNC scored on 90% of their possessions in the second half, and their only other double figure scorer (Warren) was basically non-existant. I think UNC is the better team, and probably would win regardless, but OU played terrible.

Yes, OU was overrated all season imo (you agree that they simply had no clue/interest in defending). Blake Griffin is good, but he's no Danny Manning or Carmelo Anthony. And Jeff isn't Larry Brown or Jim Boeheim. There is no appreciable difference between last year's KState team and this years OU. My feeling is next years OU team will be alot like this years KState team unless they reel in another monster too.

I really thought it would be worse. If UNC gets MSU again, expect it to be very ugly too. UNC is a monster if you don't have at least 5 good players and a smart scheme -- unless the shooters go cold. That's why Villanova stands a chance. They don't have good/any balance but they have 5 good players and a very good coach. And that's a problem for UNC.

JDev
03-30-2009, 09:51 PM
I really thought it would be worse. If UNC gets MSU again, expect it to be very ugly too. UNC is a monster if you don't have at least 5 good players and a smart scheme -- unless the shooters go cold. That's why Villanova stands a chance. They don't have good/any balance but they have 5 good players and a very good coach. And that's a problem for UNC.

I agree that Villanova has a chance. As K said, they make you defend five guys and take the ball to the basket as well as anyone. OU did not come close to doing any of those things. However, I did think OU would play better, particularly after their performance against a pretty good Syracuse team, where they shot the ball really well. After that I did not anticipate such a poor shooting performance. But, as I said before, UNC is the better team and probably wins regardless.

Chitowndevil
03-31-2009, 02:42 PM
This may be the royal blue bias talking, but I don't see UNC as the prohibitive favorite. Both Big East teams in the FF have backcourts that can match up with Lawson and Ellington. In particular I really like how A. J. Price and Kemba Walker have been playing in this tournament. Walker may even be a match for Lawson in terms of speed.

Just random speculation, if UConn beats Carolina for the title, and then has to vacate the appearance due to violations of NCAA rules for agents, does that make Carolina the 'official' National Champs? Or is nobody listed for that year?

Indoor66
03-31-2009, 03:15 PM
This may be the royal blue bias talking, but I don't see UNC as the prohibitive favorite. Both Big East teams in the FF have backcourts that can match up with Lawson and Ellington. In particular I really like how A. J. Price and Kemba Walker have been playing in this tournament. Walker may even be a match for Lawson in terms of speed.

Just random speculation, if UConn beats Carolina for the title, and then has to vacate the appearance due to violations of NCAA rules for agents, does that make Carolina the 'official' National Champs? Or is nobody listed for that year?

I believe no one is listed for that year. IRRC, you must win a title to get a title (except unc in 1925 with the bread men).

devildownunder
03-31-2009, 07:57 PM
I agree that Villanova has a chance. As K said, they make you defend five guys and take the ball to the basket as well as anyone. OU did not come close to doing any of those things. However, I did think OU would play better, particularly after their performance against a pretty good Syracuse team, where they shot the ball really well. After that I did not anticipate such a poor shooting performance. But, as I said before, UNC is the better team and probably wins regardless.

That shooting performance was especially annoying for those of us who follow SU and had them in our bracket over nc.

Shoot the lights out for the first time in months against Syracuse and then can't throw it in the ocean against nc, Grrrrrrrr!

devildownunder
03-31-2009, 08:04 PM
I have always thought that it would end up being UConn and UNC with a no choice situation for a Duke fan other than to go to be early.

But I am not ready to totally discount either 'Nova or MSU, especially MSU. The Spartans really play lock-down defense and they looked good against Louisville. They are better than everyone gave them credit for being because they were from the low-esteemed Big 10. Izzo is a good coach who doesn't get a lot of attention or hype. But in Big 10 country, we love the guy.

Go Spartans!

Izzo is a great coach. He always gets the most out of what he has. I think Michigan State would have an excellent chance against UNC, there would certainly be no repeat of the first game, when MSU hadn't come together yet. To beat UNC, you must rebound, get back in transition and put pressure on guys like Lawson and Ellington (especially lawson) with your guards, so they have more on their minds then just pushing as hard as they can up court.

brsett
03-31-2009, 08:48 PM
Izzo is a great coach. He always gets the most out of what he has. I think Michigan State would have an excellent chance against UNC, there would certainly be no repeat of the first game, when MSU hadn't come together yet. To beat UNC, you must rebound, get back in transition and put pressure on guys like Lawson and Ellington (especially lawson) with your guards, so they have more on their minds then just pushing as hard as they can up court.

If MSU and UNC meet in the championship game, I bet UNC wins by more than 12 points, and has a lead of over 20 points at some time in the game. Further, if MSU and Nova meet, I bet Nova wins by at least 12 also. MSU is not for real this year imo.

Connecticut is a basket case so I give the steadyness of msu a chance in that game. Though a blowout is the most likely outcome. My guesses for Saturday, UNC by 4 and UConn by 16.

moonpie23
03-31-2009, 10:06 PM
the way you beat unc is to hang around......they get down if they're not putting the team away.....when it's close, they don't execute nearly as well..

not letting them have those big runs diminishes their aggressiveness...

dukemsu
03-31-2009, 10:23 PM
If MSU and UNC meet in the championship game, I bet UNC wins by more than 12 points, and has a lead of over 20 points at some time in the game. Further, if MSU and Nova meet, I bet Nova wins by at least 12 also. MSU is not for real this year imo.

Connecticut is a basket case so I give the steadyness of msu a chance in that game. Though a blowout is the most likely outcome. My guesses for Saturday, UNC by 4 and UConn by 16.

Not for real? I understand not favoring MSU, but I think it's a bit off-base to claim that a conference champion that has won 30 games, beaten the Big 12 Champions twice, and beaten the top overall seed in the tournament as Not For Real. State's a long shot to win two games this weekend, but UConnLV will certainly know they've been in a fight.

dukemsu

brsett
03-31-2009, 10:34 PM
Not for real? I understand not favoring MSU, but I think it's a bit off-base to claim that a conference champion that has won 30 games, beaten the Big 12 Champions twice, and beaten the top overall seed in the tournament as Not For Real. State's a long shot to win two games this weekend, but UConnLV will certainly know they've been in a fight.

dukemsu

I'll be back here Sunday to eat my words if MSU crushes UConn and Tuesday if they even make a contest out of the NC. On Saturday they have a chance, but I still think the blowout is most likely.