PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina 72, Oklahoma 60

slower
03-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Griffin just manhandled Hans like a rag doll. NBA preview. Holes still ahead, but OK seems to be getting more comfortable. 3 fouls on Frasor and 2 on Hans. Let's go Sooners!

As much as I hate to say it, UNC is quite obviously the better team. Oklahoma will need a huge game to win.

riverside6
03-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Live Stats here....

http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=3397

Early but Oklahoma is shooting themselves in the foot, turning the ball over on a 3rd of their possessions.

CDu
03-29-2009, 05:35 PM
UNC is, unfortunately, a much better team. Oklahoma has the best player on the floor without question, but UNC probably the next six or seven best players. Warren and Taylor Griffin are okay, but UNC is just so deep in terms of talent.

Oklahoma is going to have to hope that UNC really cools off and/or that Blake Griffin can get all of UNC's bigs in foul trouble. Otherwise, I think UNC just has too many horses.

But yes, Griffin is without question the best player on the floor. UNC is focusing all of their defensive attention on that guy.

wolfpackdevil
03-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Griffin is probably the best player left in the tournament, but everytime he touches the ball inside the arch he is getting double teamed.

Just wait till he's in the NBA when he gets to play one on one with guys

CDu
03-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Griffin is probably the best player left in the tournament, but everytime he touches the ball inside the arch he is getting double teamed.

Just wait till he's in the NBA when he gets to play one on one with guys

It reminds me a bit of Ohio St a couple of years back when they had Oden. The difference is that OSU had Mike Conley and several good perimeter shooters, while it appears OU lacks the supporting cast to make UNC pay for overcommiting to Griffin.

devildownunder
03-29-2009, 05:56 PM
UNC is, unfortunately, a much better team. Oklahoma has the best player on the floor without question, but UNC probably the next six or seven best players. Warren and Taylor Griffin are okay, but UNC is just so deep in terms of talent.

Oklahoma is going to have to hope that UNC really cools off and/or that Blake Griffin can get all of UNC's bigs in foul trouble. Otherwise, I think UNC just has too many horses.

But yes, Griffin is without question the best player on the floor. UNC is focusing all of their defensive attention on that guy.

Oklahoma just needs to hit some 3s, like they did against Syracuse after not doing much of it at all for weeks. Grrrrrrrrr.

CDu
03-29-2009, 05:56 PM
Griffin has 11 and 9 at the half. Here's where adding Zeller has helped a bit. Griffin has been drawing fouls like crazy, but the post depth means none of their big guys is in serious foul trouble. Hansbrough, Davis, and Green each have two, and Thompson and Zeller have one each.

Oklahoma is going to have to get something going from the others, because it's unlikely Griffin can win it by himself.

grossbus
03-29-2009, 06:01 PM
"Oklahoma just needs to hit some 3s"

the truth, that.

calltheobvious
03-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Griffin has 11 and 9 at the half. Here's where adding Zeller has helped a bit. Griffin has been drawing fouls like crazy, but the post depth means none of their big guys is in serious foul trouble. Hansbrough, Davis, and Green each have two, and Thompson and Zeller have one each.

Oklahoma is going to have to get something going from the others, because it's unlikely Griffin can win it by himself.

Excellent points all. Between OU's poor FT and 3-pt shooting, one could make the case that they could easily be right in this thing. The problem is that their guards look completely lost. Entry passes have been awful, perimeter shots have just been chucked. This is not a case of good offense resulting in unlucky bounces that will even out over the course of a game.

Some of the patterns here are eerily similar to those in the first half of Duke-Nova. I expect the better team to stretch it out early in the second half of this one, too.

CDu
03-29-2009, 06:03 PM
The good news is that Oklahoma LITERALLY can't shoot any worse from the perimeter, and they're only down 9. The bad news is that they're down 9 with only 20 minutes to go.

They've done a good job of slowing the game down, which is necessary for them to win. But they've got to get something from someone other than Griffin.

riverside6
03-29-2009, 06:06 PM
at the half, neither team's offense has performed as they normally would. UNC posted an off eff of only 108. Oklahoma's TO % still sits at 30% though and is the biggest factor of the game.

One interesting point is that Oklahoma has taken 40% of their shots from behind the arc. The Heels have done a great job of forcing OK to a weakness. If the shots aren't falling, Oklahoma needs to reverse the ball and drive the ball instead of settling for the open jumpshot.

Also, great point about Zeller making a difference tonight. If not for Zeller, Roy Williams would have been playing Danny Green in the post or Mike Copeland.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-29-2009, 06:08 PM
I'm surprised that Ellington is off to such a slow start to this game. He's been forcing things, so far. Fortunately for the Heels Green is playing well. Having some depth of talent is a big thing when you get this far.
Good to see Roy use the depth wisely too. Even playing Watts has been smart. He's done a good job in the first half keeping the lead with the subs rotating in.
We are about to play some ball for the next twenty minutes, and I look for Ellington to heat up at some point, especially if Lawson starts driving more as I suspect he will.
The post play will likely continue to be a wash, Griffen against everyone we can throw at him....

A-Tex Devil
03-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Don't sleep on Willie Warren. The kid was one of the top 5 freshmen in the country this year and a lot more than a "nice" player.

If OU starts hitting threes, that may free Blake Griffin up to get some more shots. They are sagging the double team on him really quickly right now and he is, correctly, passing it back out. He may have to just put his head down and try to dunk on some of those double teams, though, if the shots don't start to fall.

Edited to say B. Griffin only had 4 attempts!!! He needs to put it up about 15 shots in the second half.

FireOgilvie
03-29-2009, 06:13 PM
I knew that OU was going to have a tough time in this one, but 23 points against UNC is really bad. UNC isn't known for it's defense and OU is getting a ton of wide open shots. Villanova is going to be a much tougher game for UNC. OU has a tough time defending on the interior because Griffin is afraid to pick up fouls, and no one else on the team has enough size.

Did anyone see the Villanova players give that halftime interview? They all sounded like this was their first time answering interview questions... it was actually painful to listen to.

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-29-2009, 06:14 PM
"Oklahoma just needs to hit some 3s"

the truth, that.

What are they 0-7?

Everytime Griffin is doubled creates a chance for an open 3, if OK can hit them they can win, if they don't they can't...It's pretty simple...

That being said, I am surprised by how well Carolina is dominating the glass...

Capel could probably put on a jersey and hit some open 3's better than his players have so far this game...I mean there have been some serious bricks on wide open 3's...

Wheat/"/"/"
03-29-2009, 06:15 PM
UNC has made some nice defensive plays in the first half. They should get some credit for that, even while getting significant play from deep in the bench.

captmojo
03-29-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm surprised that Ellington is off to such a slow start to this game. He's been forcing things, so far. Fortunately for the Heels Green is playing well. Having some depth of talent is a big thing when you get this far.
Good to see Roy use the depth wisely too. Even playing Watts has been smart. He's done a good job in the first half keeping the lead with the subs rotating in.
We are about to play some ball for the next twenty minutes, and I look for Ellington to heat up at some point, especially if Lawson starts driving more as I suspect he will.
The post play will likely continue to be a wash, Griffen against everyone we can throw at him....

I thought Ellington would be the offensive key, as well. Bench play has been very important.

Oklahoma has cost themselves an even score.

Cameron
03-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Having a hard time believing Carolina won't win a national title this season.

Oklahoma's guards, get real.

slower
03-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Having a hard time believing Carolina won't win a national title this season.

Oklahoma's guards, get real.

Don't pencil it in just yet. Ucon has some players and will/would give UNC a MUCH better game than OK is providing.

Aside from Griffin, the rest of them should be embarrassed by this performance.

And another "bunny hop" from Hans!

Troublemaker
03-29-2009, 06:39 PM
They're such a powerful offensive team with so many scoring options. They're even better offensively than the 2005 team because of Green vs Manuel.

FireOgilvie
03-29-2009, 06:42 PM
As painful as this is to watch, it's still fun for me to see Hansbrough playing terribly. Right now he has 4 points, 4 rebounds. I wouldn't be surprised to see him score a bunch of meaningless points down the stretch (the Hansbrough Special), but he's had almost no impact on this game.

Also, this is really getting out of hand for OU. They're 0-13 from 3.

Oh, you also can't forget the two travels Hansbrough has been called for. :)

Cameron
03-29-2009, 06:49 PM
LOL at Tyler trying to be Blake.

That was worth me continuing to watch this.

slower
03-29-2009, 06:51 PM
LOL at Tyler trying to be Blake.

That was worth me continuing to watch this.

Take that weak s**t somewhere else! He looks like he wants to cry because nobody's paying attention to him.

Maxwell1977
03-29-2009, 06:58 PM
This is what the next year will be like, Hans.:p

Cameron
03-29-2009, 07:02 PM
I love watching his career petal to nothing.

Oh Sweeeeettttt Caroline, good times never seem so good..

davekay1971
03-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Hansbrough sucks.

Too bad for OU - they finally get something going and two very weak calls by the refs kill the rally.

Game over, UNC moves on, and Hansbrough was exposed once again by an athletic big man.

Villanova better bring their A game. I'm sick of watching first Gonzaga, then OU play their worst game against the Holes. It's long past time for Hansbrough's last game...

hudlow
03-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Griffin is the player psycho T wants to be...if he only had a little help.

calltheobvious
03-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Hansbrough sucks.

Too bad for OU - they finally get something going and two very weak calls by the refs kill the rally.

Game over, UNC moves on, and Hansbrough was exposed once again by an athletic big man.

Villanova better bring their A game. I'm sick of watching first Gonzaga, then OU play their worst game against the Holes. It's long past time for Hansbrough's last game...

I don't think you need to worry about that. OU got killed tonight because of inexperienced, tentative guard play. They didn't make good decisions about when to shoot or where to pass, and when they themselves shot, it was ugly. Nova will experience no such problem. Ellington is going to struggle mightily to get shots, and Lawson's going to have his toughest match-ups of the season.

One key will obviously be how 'Nova defends the post. I think the strategy will be to really get into the guards, front the bigs, and hope that the help can force some turnovers on loopy entries.

We saw what Teague and Rice did against the Heels. I look forward to much more of the same against an even better group of guards next week.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Nice defensive game from the Heels as well as a balanced offensive game.
TH never got in the flow after the early fouls, but I'd hardly say he had no impact on the game.

You guys keep ragging on HansIownyou all you want, I thought his defense and intensity was good most of the game and he was unselfish and a team guy in a big win.

That was a nice job of coaching the game by Roy as well.

LaettnerWannabe
03-29-2009, 07:28 PM
When Carolina was struggling a few years ago, some folks on this board and this website stated that it would be fun if UNC came back for the sake of the rivalry. I don't know about them, but I'm not having any fun right now.

Troublemaker
03-29-2009, 07:30 PM
We saw what Teague and Rice did against the Heels. I look forward to much more of the same against an even better group of guards next week.

While I think ultimately UNC's frontcourt will be too much for 'Nova to handle, I think you're right that guard play is very, very key against the Heels.

UNC has actually only lost 5 times in the past two years with Lawson in the lineup.

The losses were to:

Maryland (twice! [amazing job by Gary Williams, when you compare their roster to UNC's]), Kansas, BC, and Wake Forest.

The only common thread there is great point guard play (Vasquez, Chalmers, Rice, and Teague).

Hopefully Reynolds and Fisher are up to the challenge next week.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-29-2009, 07:33 PM
When Carolina was struggling a few years ago, some folks on this board and this website stated that it would be fun if UNC came back for the sake of the rivalry. I don't know about them, but I'm not having any fun right now.

I've thought a lot about this for the past few seasons and worked very hard not to send snarky PM's. UNC being good is always bad for us, even if some folks forgot that for a while. It costs us recruits, ACC wins (and titles), and is just plain no fun for their rivals to watch.

mgtr
03-29-2009, 07:41 PM
For all the press he has gotten, and the records he owns, I just don't see Hans going very high in the draft. I would rather have Dancing Danny on my pro team -- sort a utility infielder -- than Hans. Well, it won't be too much longer until we find out.

dukelifer
03-29-2009, 07:43 PM
I've thought a lot about this for the past few seasons and worked very hard not to send snarky PM's. UNC being good is always bad for us, even if some folks forgot that for a while. It costs us recruits, ACC wins (and titles), and is just plain no fun for their rivals to watch.

Then explain why all of Duke's titles happened when UNC was a good/great team? Didn't seem to hurt recruiting then?

DUKIE V(A)
03-29-2009, 07:48 PM
Blake Griffin is by far the best player in college basketball (and I am not sure he really applied himself offensively as he maybe should have when his mates were shooting blanks).

Davis is ridiculously good for Carolina. Hope he doesn't stay long.

dukelifer
03-29-2009, 07:48 PM
While I think ultimately UNC's frontcourt will be too much for 'Nova to handle, I think you're right that guard play is very, very key against the Heels.

UNC has actually only lost 5 times in the past two years with Lawson in the lineup.

The losses were to:

Maryland (twice! [amazing job by Gary Williams, when you compare their roster to UNC's]), Kansas, BC, and Wake Forest.

The only common thread there is great point guard play (Vasquez, Chalmers, Rice, and Teague).

You are right that UNC did struggle a bit against a smallish team (Maryland) this year. The key seems to be stopping UNC guards which Nova should be able to do- particularly Ellington who does not like to mix it up. Of course UNC's bigs are really good. Still, Nova will not be scared. Should be a good game.

dukelifer
03-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Blake Griffin is by far the best player in college basketball (and I am not sure he really applied himself offensively as he maybe should have when his mates were shooting blanks).

Davis is ridiculously good for Carolina. Hope he doesn't stay long.

Davis would be smart to leave this year with a down draft- he has the most upside of any tar heel.

calltheobvious
03-29-2009, 07:52 PM

The losses were to:

You're right. That's just silly.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Then explain why all of Duke's titles happened when UNC was a good/great team? Didn't seem to hurt recruiting then?

Absolutely right. We've never (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/brandan_wright/index.html) lost a recruit (http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=78&p=8&c=1&nid=722801) to UNC (http://northcarolina.scout.com/a.z?s=78&p=8&c=1&nid=447934).

Seriously, UNC hasn't been "good/great" for about 4 years in the last 40, and those are remembered as the Golden Years (2001-2004). Everything we've done happened when they were good. It's to K's credit that we've overcome UNC being good, often with players UNC chose not to take (Hurley, JWill), but UNC being great is an obstacle to success. Ask the folks who are graduating with an 0-4 record at home against our rival.

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Hansbrough sucks.

He sucks?????

He's only been All-ACC for four years, AA three years, POY once, twice to the Final Four, all-time top scorer in ACC history.

Will he be an NBA star? Probably not. But what about the NBA careers of some of the recent Duke players whose jerseys hang in the rafters at CIS (such as JJ and Shelden)?

We may not like Tyler; he may not have a stellar NBA career; but he's been one of the best ACC players ever. At least give him credit for his accomplishments.

P.S. I'm certainly happy that Duke won't have to face him anymore.

dukeman28428
03-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Tyler saw what it was like to play against Blake Griffin today and this is just a taste of what he will see in the NBA. If Blake had any help, the Tar Heels would be heading home tonight. Hans-travel will not be a great pro as he is not tough enough and loves to cry when things do not go his way. Glad I will not have to see him again! :D

Wheat/"/"/"
03-29-2009, 08:02 PM
If UNC is playing Duke, I am pulling for UNC.
However, I have no problem when Duke does well. As long as both teams do things the right way, which they have, lets just settle it on the court and enjoy the game and some good natured gamesmanship. If your team loses, there will be another one.
The verbal cheap shots from some fans directed at players they don't know is the only thing that gets to me sometimes, it really degrades the side they claim to support, and brings out my combatitive, competitive nature....

dukeman28428
03-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Good point Wheat but we sure get more than our share of bad ribbing from UNC fans when Duke loses but I respect what you say. :)

FireOgilvie
03-29-2009, 08:10 PM
However, I have no problem when Duke does well. As long as both teams do things the right way, which they have, lets just settle it on the court and enjoy the game and some good natured gamesmanship. If your team loses, there will be another one.
The verbal cheap shots from some fans directed at players they don't know is the only thing that gets to me sometimes, it really degrades the side they claim to support, and brings out my combatitive, competitive nature....

Yet, you thought the most recent anti-Greg Paulus video was funny...

I'm sure Hans is a great guy, but I don't like him as a college basketball player.

CDu
03-29-2009, 08:11 PM

I agree with you, although every fanbase has their share of poor sports (UNC and Duke are certainly no exceptions). Redick and Paulus, for example, got a good deal more venom from you baby blue folks (among others) than was deserved by any human being. But I agree. That it shouldn't have happened to them, and it shouldn't happen to Hansbrough.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-29-2009, 08:12 PM
If Blake had any help, the Tar Heels would be heading home tonight. Hans-travel will not be a great pro as he is not tough enough and loves to cry when things do not go his way. Glad I will not have to see him again! :D

If a frog had wings....

If TH and Ellington had even an average game the Heels would have won by 40 with that logic.

Is there not anyone who is willing to credit a solid defensive effort today from the Heels against one of the strongest teams in the tournament?

BTW, I never saw TH "cry".
I did see him take it to the rim and miss a couple of power dunks, and turn right back down the court to play defense.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-29-2009, 08:13 PM

I'm assuming you feel the same way about cheap shots calling coaches "Hitler", publishing books (http://www.amazon.com/Hate-Like-This-Happy-Forever/dp/0060740248/ref=ed_oe_p) comparing those coaches to rats, and the like. Or an endless stream of gay jokes about Danny "Fairy", "Chrissy" Laettner, etc. Or the recent UNC video about Paulus (http://unc.fandome.com/video/110014/Greg-Paulus---I-Kissed-a-Boy-by-Jensen-Reed/).

CDu
03-29-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm assuming you feel the same way about cheap shots calling coaches "Hitler", publishing books (http://www.amazon.com/Hate-Like-This-Happy-Forever/dp/0060740248/ref=ed_oe_p) comparing those coaches to rats, and the like. Or an endless stream of gay jokes about Danny "Fairy", "Chrissy" Laettner, etc. Or the recent UNC video about Paulus (http://unc.fandome.com/video/110014/Greg-Paulus---I-Kissed-a-Boy-by-Jensen-Reed/).

I'm guessing not. Fans tend to only hold OTHER teams' fans to a higher standard of classiness. It's always easier to see fault when the shoe is on the other foot.

That said, I agree with Wheat's point - regardless of whether or not he violates it himself. I've never been a fan of the name-calling of Hansbrough. He's a terrific college player. Does he get away with a lot of calls? Absolutely, but that's not his fault. I'd have loved for him to play for Duke. And had he played for Duke, he'd have been an absolute fan favorite.

sandinmyshoes
03-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Wheat, I always enjoy your posts. While I don't always agree with you, they offer a fresh perspective in a mature manner. I hope the continuing TDDification of DBR doesn't chase you away.

As for Hansbrough, I think he'll have a decent career in the NBA. Mostly as a back up. I would imagine he'll go in the lower half of the first round, probably to a contender who won't pass up the chance to draft a player who at worst will provide a hardworking practice player. He could also be fairly productive in the NBA's end of first and third quarter platoon substitution, where he'll be facing other second line players. Probably a long career as the sixth, seventh or eighth man of the bench.

As for UNC in the Final Four. If they hit their threes they're the toughest out in the NCAA this year. If they don't, any of the remaining teams can take 'em out easily enough. Sometimes, the game is that simple.

gw67
03-29-2009, 08:25 PM
I didn't have them in my bracket but I'm happy that both the Heels and Spartans won today. Williams and Izzo are terrific coaches and the schools will be very good in basketball as long as they are around. I'm particularly happy that UNC humbled the Sooners even when they were not hitting on all cylinders. Both my brothers live in Tulsa and one of my neices goes to school in Norman. I've taken a lot of heat from them in the past year about the superiority of Oklahoma football and basketball over the ACC so it is time to gloat in a mild way as we are all very close.

I agree with Bay Area Duke Fan. Hansbrough has been a terrific college player for four years. The putdowns on this board for the past four years remind me of the crap that was on the UNC and Maryland boards regarding Redick. I could care less about how well he or Griffin do in the pros although Jeff ought to think twice about moving on if Blake decides to go pro. There doesn't appear to be much left.

gw67

Wheat/"/"/"
03-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Yet, you thought the most recent anti-Greg Paulus video was funny...

I'm sure Hans is a great guy, but I don't like him as a college basketball player.

I'm pretty thick skinned, and I did think that video was creative and funny. But, I also understand why some find that hurtful and inappropriate.
I would never make something like that up myself, but I can't deny there are things like that out there.

If a Duke fan comes up with a creative video response to it, I'm sure I can laugh at that too.

You're right, I shouldn't have encouraged it.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-29-2009, 08:30 PM
That said, I agree with Wheat's point - regardless of whether or not he violates it himself. I've never been a fan of the name-calling of Hansbrough. He's a terrific college player. Does he get away with a lot of calls? Absolutely, but that's not his fault. I'd have loved for him to play for Duke. And had he played for Duke, he'd have been an absolute fan favorite.

Oh, I agree completely with that point. Hans is a very good player that's more than had our number and I have tremendous respect for him. Namecalling ranges from silly (Hansblahblah/Just Jumpers) to the odious (McCancer/Shewill) but it always looks bad, IMO. My point is that neither Duke nor UNC folks have much high ground on the issue.

Wheat/"/"/"
03-29-2009, 08:46 PM

I do feel the same way. None of that is appropriate. Either side.

I don't think you have ever seen any of that from me directed at a player, or coach, and you won't.

Moving on....

I just hope we can see more two games from the Heels where everyone plays reasonably well. They have not really done that except maybe the Zags game.

Ed Davis is a stud, and is only going to get better. He'll stay one more year.
Zeller looked confident out there today and will be a player too. He is on the 3 year track.

I thought Deon had a solid game today too.
Ellington, Frasor and TH, sub par.
Green and Lawson did well.

Still won by 12 and never really challenged. What would happen if they all had solid games at the same time?

Virginian
03-29-2009, 09:54 PM
...but to praise Blake.

In the first five minutes it was clear Blake owned Hansbrough. Like I've said, TH has been a terrific college player, but Griffin is way ahead of him at this point. Tyler is very good, but Blake is a BEAST.

I WAS disappointed, I must say, that before the game, Hansbrough played down the head-to-head aspect of going against Griffin. That was the whole attraction of the game (the announcers certainly thought so as well). It sounded like he was making excuses ahead of the game. And no wonder, given the results of the actual matchup when it occurred.

But still, we all will be VERY glad to see TH head off campus.

gofurman
03-29-2009, 10:24 PM
...but to praise Blake.

In the first five minutes it was clear Blake owned Hansbrough. Like I've said, TH has been a terrific college player, but Griffin is way ahead of him at this point. Tyler is very good, but Blake is a BEAST.

I WAS disappointed, I must say, that before the game, Hansbrough played down the head-to-head aspect of going against Griffin. That was the whole attraction of the game (the announcers certainly thought so as well). It sounded like he was making excuses ahead of the game. And no wonder, given the results of the actual matchup when it occurred.

But still, we all will be VERY glad to see TH head off campus.

and how many years older is TH than BG? 4? and Griffin is already out of his league. Of course, had Griffin been the one at UNC he wouldn't have been there 4 years.

That's an interesting point - would you rather have a 2 year Griffin on your team or a 4-year Hansbrough. I don't really know what I would prefer if I could bring one or the other into Duke. I think maybe a two year Griffin. Makes me think of Brand. Honestly Griffin just amazes me with some of his shots and moves. Even with no help put up a 23/16 !

FerryFor50
03-29-2009, 10:29 PM
If a frog had wings....

If TH and Ellington had even an average game the Heels would have won by 40 with that logic.

Is there not anyone who is willing to credit a solid defensive effort today from the Heels against one of the strongest teams in the tournament?

BTW, I never saw TH "cry".
I did see him take it to the rim and miss a couple of power dunks, and turn right back down the court to play defense.

Honestly, the only good thing UNC did defensively was to double Blake Griffin and make OK beat them from the outside. That's just common sense, though.

After a while, Griffin decided he'd had enough and started beating the double and triple teams. UNC played more inspired defense than we're used to, but the bottom line is OK missed FTs and some wide open 3s that would have kept this game close. I give more credit to UNC's offense and the contributions of Lawson, Green and Thompson with Hansbrough struggling to keep up with the superior Griffin.

RelativeWays
03-29-2009, 10:30 PM
If a frog had wings....

I'll do it. The Holes played OU exactly how they wanted, they capitalized on their strengths and forced OU to hit outside shots to beat them. The Sooners couldn't do it. Its hard to say too mauch negative about the sheep and how they played their last two games. They didn't even have a great offensive effort today, but the strategy was really good. Double team Blake in the 1st half and frustrate him. Lay off Blake in the 2nd half and force him to either carry the team or have someone else step up. He was gassed by the end and OU was out of options. While they kept it close OU never really threatened. It was a pretty impressive performance and I'm not sure if we ever saw that UNC team from this weekend in the ACC all season.

FerryFor50
03-29-2009, 10:31 PM
and how many years older is TH than BG? 4? and Griffin is already out of his league. Of course, had Griffin been the one at UNC he wouldn't have been there 4 years.

That's an interesting point - would you rather have a 2 year Griffin on your team or a 4-year Hansbrough. I don't really know what I would prefer if I could bring one or the other into Duke. I think maybe a two year Griffin. Makes me think of Brand. Honestly Griffin just amazes me with some of his shots and moves. Even with no help put up a 23/16 !

Not just "no help" but against a VERY large front line and facing double and triple teams constantly. Very good effort wasted by a poor shooting performance from his guards.

FerryFor50
03-29-2009, 10:32 PM
I'll do it. The Holes played OU exactly how they wanted, they capitalized on their strengths and forced OU to hit outside shots to beat them. The Sooners couldn't do it. Its hard to say too mauch negative about the sheep and how they played their last two games. They didn't even have a great offensive effort today, but the strategy was really good. Double team Blake in the 1st half and frustrate him. Lay off Blake in the 2nd half and force him to either carry the team or have someone else step up. He was gassed by the end and OU was out of options. While they kept it close OU never really threatened. It was a pretty impressive performance and I'm not sure if we ever saw that UNC team from this weekend in the ACC all season.

I'll say the same thing I said after the Nova game - it's VERY easy to look like a good defensive team when the other team is missing open looks.

RelativeWays
03-29-2009, 10:36 PM
I'll say the same thing I said after the Nova game - it's VERY easy to look like a good defensive team when the other team is missing open looks.

But thats the nature of the 3 point shot, sometimes you roll the dice on hoping the other team misses because it makes the most sense. We did it with wake in the second game, we did it with MD in the 2nd round of the ACC tourney, it paid off. You can't fault UNC for following the gameplan that makes the most sense. OU is awesome inside, outside.....not so much. They have to prove that they can hit from the outside to change that gameplan. They built a new arena instead.

FerryFor50
03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
But thats the nature of the 3 point shot, sometimes you roll the dice on hoping the other team misses because it makes the most sense. We did it with wake in the second game, we did it with MD in the 2nd round of the ACC tourney, it paid off. You can't fault UNC for following the gameplan that makes the most sense. OU is awesome inside, outside.....not so much. They have to prove that they can hit from the outside to change that gameplan. They built a new arena instead.

Oh, I totally agree. But it's just funny - had OK hit those shots and won the game, we'd be talking about how UNC collapsed defensively, how defense was always going to bring them down, etc.

Instead, we're talking about how great UNC was defensively, when it was really just a case of an off night shooting, plus the stubbornness to stick with the 3s when they weren't falling. OK had success at the end of the game when they drove and dished. That should have been the gameplan. Ah well. Nova will definitely be able to do that. :D

Wheat/"/"/"
03-29-2009, 10:59 PM
But it's just funny - had OK hit those shots and won the game, we'd be talking about how UNC collapsed defensively, how defense was always going to bring them down, etc.
:D

Woulda, coulda, shoulda....

Many of those "open looks" OK missed were forced late in the shot clock and with a hand in the face. I saw a lot of good defensive plays in the game by the Heels and they kept OK out of any rythem offensively the whole game. That's good defense.

Yea, the player of the year was a load and outplayed everybody.
But it's a team game and the player of the year will be watching the next game from home.

jipops
03-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Woulda, coulda, shoulda....

Many of those "open looks" OK missed were forced late in the shot clock and with a hand in the face. I saw a lot of good defensive plays in the game by the Heels and they kept OK out of any rythem offensively the whole game. That's good defense.

Yea, the player of the year was a load and outplayed everybody.
But it's a team game and the player of the year will be watching the next game from home.

Gotta give the heels credit for great D in this one. This makes them ridiculously scary as they already possess the most powerful and talented offense in the country.