PDA

View Full Version : Jason Capel rooting for Oklahoma over UNC

diveonthefloor
03-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Found this in the Memphis Commercial Appeal on Gameday Sunday:

Capel said he'll have at least one other North Carolina fan rooting for his Sooners this afternoon in younger brother Jason, a former four-year starter for the Tar Heels.

"He's going to have a red shirt on (today)," Capel said. "It will be a red OU shirt, and he'll be cheering for us, which he should. I know a lot of Carolina people may not like that, but he was my brother before he was a Tar Heel, and he'll always be my little brother.

kmspeaks
03-29-2009, 12:32 PM
They talked about this during the Oklahoma game the other day too. I believe Jason's comment was something to the effect of blood is red and so is my brother's team.

weezie
03-29-2009, 12:38 PM
And phooey on the 'holes if they don't like it. After having been bent out of shape last year over Roy wearing the KS shirt, they should just sit on their hands anyway.

hc5duke
03-29-2009, 01:43 PM
And phooey on the 'holes if they don't like it. After having been bent out of shape last year over Roy wearing the KS shirt, they should just sit on their hands anyway.

don't forget Greg Paulus's brother's comments, too

jma4life
03-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Would anyone have a problem with Greg rooting for Carolina football over Duke? (Ignoring the fact that after what Paulus has given Duke, you really basically can't fault the guy for anything) Personally, I wouldn't at all, anyway.

pfrduke
03-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Would anyone have a problem with Greg rooting for Carolina football over Duke? (Ignoring the fact that after what Paulus has given Duke, you really basically can't fault the guy for anything) Personally, I wouldn't at all, anyway.

I think the broader question is, short of rooting against your own actual team in a game that you're playing, can anyone be faulted at all for what team they pull for? Even if Coach K wanted to cheer on the Heels the rest of the way, I really couldn't care less.

sagegrouse
03-29-2009, 05:30 PM
Jason's choice is proof that blood is thicker than water from an Old Well.

sagegrouse

jv001
03-29-2009, 10:57 PM
I was listening to "The Ball" on Sports Radio about 2 or 3 weeks ago and a caller asked Jason if Jeff were offered the Duke job after Coach K retires and Jeff accepts. Would he accept a job with his brother on the Duke coaching staff. And without hesitation Jason answered, yes, absolutely. He then said that his family and his faith are most important to him in life. I know that was not the answer Packman wanted to hear, but that's what he got. Go Duke!

moonpie23
03-30-2009, 09:53 AM
i was just wondering....i am not familiar with NCAA rules, but, could it be possible for Greg to go to graduate school and play football for duke? or does he have to be an undergraduate?

moonpie23
03-30-2009, 09:56 AM
He then said that his family and his faith are most important to him in life.

and he is correct-a-mundo...

spifi
03-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Remember that Jason Capel was ostracized by the UNC fan base during their 8-20 season so badly that Jeff actually logged into one of the UNC forums to defend Jason. But Jeff had basically gone through a lot of the same thing at Duke (though the Internet certainly wasn't as big then), so he could relate a bit. I think they were probably both brought pretty close by those experiences, and I think Jason at least still has a pretty foul taste in his mouth about things-UNC.

Even in absence of all that, I don't personally think it's a big deal if a player chooses family over the team they formerly played for. It's hard for these guys to be "fans" at all in many cases, and when your brother is coaching for his first chance at a Final Four....well, that's big. Good for Jason for putting on the red shirt, and good for him for not making a big deal out of it. FWIW, even Roy said he was doing the right thing, but then again I'd pretty much expect the coach on the other side of that deal to just try to say the right thing and stay out of it, especially since he wasn't ever Jason's coach.

ClosetHurleyFan
03-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Found this in the Memphis Commercial Appeal on Gameday Sunday:

Capel said he'll have at least one other North Carolina fan rooting for his Sooners this afternoon in younger brother Jason, a former four-year starter for the Tar Heels.

"He's going to have a red shirt on (today)," Capel said. "It will be a red OU shirt, and he'll be cheering for us, which he should. I know a lot of Carolina people may not like that, but he was my brother before he was a Tar Heel, and he'll always be my little brother.

As a UNC fan, I have no issue with it and frankly its none of my business. A brothers love should always come before Alma Mater if you ask me and it says a lot about their relationship that he rooted for OU.

And Roy took way too much I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. for the sticker incident. He was simply respecting and acknowledging all that KU had meant to his success as a coach and the love for all the players he coached there.

sagegrouse
03-30-2009, 12:11 PM
i was just wondering....i am not familiar with NCAA rules, but, could it be possible for Greg to go to graduate school and play football for duke? or does he have to be an undergraduate?

Under NCAA rules he can play if he has not used up his eligibility. In fact, 45 years ago the football team had a first year medical student on the team (Bill Futrell, IIRC).

Also, FWIW, when Crawford Palmer of the 91 Devils NC team transferred to Dartmouth after 3 years at Duke, he had already graduated from Duke and enrolled at the B-school at Dartmouth (Tuck).

sagegrouse