PDA

View Full Version : Moderators, Can we please keep one thread open

Lulu
03-29-2009, 09:32 AM
about the performance (or lack of it) in the last game of the season the past number of years? I'm talking about threads such as the one started by mr. synellinden.

Posters keep jumping on calling everyone bad fans etc., but all the thread was attempting to do was have an honest discussion about Duke's tournament performance of late. A lot of the people jumping in to say "I'm sick of hearing it..." didn't even seem to have carefully read the thread, and then soon enough it's closed.

We got whipped. We ended the season on another disappointing performance. It's not the end of the world and we all just want to see our team do as well as possible every year. We should be able to discuss this without having the whole thing derail and be shut down. Before getting too defensive, everyone needs to realize that, simply put, there are only 3 options for any critique that's given: 1) Coaches' fault, 2) Players' fault, 3) No one's fault. It seems we can't discuss any possibility related to the first two without someone getting overly offended, and the third really only leaves things like "bad luck", "poor recruiting" (which turns into a knock on coaches eventually), "officiating" (clearly not the issue this year), etc. We all love the team and might react strongly to something seemingly negative written about the players and coaches we love, but after such a bad performance you have to realize that there's nothing to discuss that isn't going to focus on at least one of them. If the only posts that are allowed are "Great season! Can't wait for next year!" and the like then what would be the point in coming here? I wish we had a win to discuss as much as anyone here, but what we have instead is a rather lousy loss. It's really hard to dispute that.

And I'm enormously appreciative of what we have in Duke basketball, and how lucky we are to have such a great program. It doesn't mean we can't discuss the season-ending losses of late.

Troublemaker
03-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Umm, there's a postgame thread for the 'Nova game that is still open. Our policy is that postgame threads always remain open. So you can even talk about the loss to Michigan in December if you wanted to.

Bottom line is the loss happened on Thursday. It's Sunday. Most people have moved on with their lives, I suspect.