PDA

View Full Version : Reason To Be Optimistic

taiw93
03-27-2009, 06:18 PM
I think Duke fans are in need of a little perspective following such a crushing loss. Think of your expectations coming into this year. I can't speak for the entire fan base, but to me this team seemed capable of reaching the Sweet Sixteen and maybe the Elite Eight, and in that regard the team met my expectations, even though the loss last night was jarring. My point here is that this team acheived what many of us viewed it to be capable of coming into the season - it did not have the talent to be a Final Four team.
Now, I did not make this post to bash the talent of the team. My point is this: we have some very, very good recruits coming in the next few years, and with the increase in talent, we should see an improved result. Consider this team (2010-11), assuming that we get Barnes and no other recruits, and Kyle leaves:
PG: Nolan (Sr), Thornton (Fr)
SG: Elliot (Jr), Andre (Fr)
SF: Barnes (Fr)?
PF: Kelly (So), Hairston (Fr)
C: Plumlee (So), Plumlee (Sr)
Now that is close to the worst case scenario (everything went "wrong" except for us landing Barnes), and the team still looks to have an elite core. While the team is young, the pieces needed for an NC team are there: lights out shooter (Andre), go-to wing (Barnes), athletic front court depth (Plumlees and Josh). So pick your heads up - this team was a good team, not a great team, and therefore had a good but not great season. Elite talent is coming in 2010, and that is assuming that Kyle leaves, and that G leaves before next year. Duke will be back in the Final Four soon.

CameronCrazy'11
03-27-2009, 06:21 PM
I think you forgot to check your Email today. Check it again. Email will be there.

taiw93
03-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Oh yes, I completely forgot! We will look even better with Elliot in the fold - I am really feeling optimistic now!
Oh, and mods, can you please change the spelling of optimistic in the title - the blatant misspelling is kind of embarrassing :o