PDA

View Full Version : Elliot Williams facial

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-27-2009, 05:01 PM
I saw this posted in another board and def. agreed it was worth a posting here.

It might very well have been the brightest moment of the game last night.

Was that facial (referring to his dunk/slam/inyourface/fall) up there with the best we've seen this decade from a Duke player? I certainly think that tops Gerald's from the Maryland game only because he wasn't challenged as hard. If we had been winning and he had done it - it may have been a little more historical - however I just want to make sure that this gets some talk because it was pretty darned incredible.

DukieBoy
03-27-2009, 05:04 PM
I don't know about one of the greatest because he nearly didn't get it down. He got the ball stuck on the rim but had just enough momentum to get it down. G's dunk in the earlier round, either Texas or Binghamton I forget, was just as nice, IMO. Actually, many of G's dunks this year have been just as impressive.

Jeffrey
03-27-2009, 05:13 PM
I'll always remember Grant having to reach completely behind himself, while moving a mile a minute towards the basket, and successfully completely a beautiful, mile high, dunk. In your face? Not really Grant's style. Amazing skill? Without a doubt.

CameronCrazy'11
03-27-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't know if it was historically good, but it was awesome nonetheless. With the athleticism and tools Email has, I don't even know where his ceiling is. I don't think anyone would be surprised if he makes a huge improvement over the summer and becomes a 2nd or 3rd team All-ACC type guy.

DukieInBrasil
03-27-2009, 05:56 PM
Grant Hillīs dunk v Kansas in the Championship game was by far the best dunk i have ever seen a Duke player have. His head was even with the rim, and he reached back behind him and windmilled the ball throught he rim while twisting in the air. Electrifying.

RainingThrees
03-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Grant Hillīs dunk v Kansas in the Championship game was by far the best dunk i have ever seen a Duke player have. His head was even with the rim, and he reached back behind him and windmilled the ball throught he rim while twisting in the air. Electrifying.

Windmill is when you palm the ball and completely rotate your arm all the way around.

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIDdXsrSF0Q

The best duke dunk was probably this one by Dahntay Jones imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOisVIE5NR8

Virginian
03-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Windmill is when you palm the ball and completely rotate your arm all the way around.

example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIDdXsrSF0Q

The best duke dunk was probably this one by Dahntay Jones imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOisVIE5NR8

I think most people would agree the Grant Hill slam was light years ahead of the one by Jones in terms of athleticism and was totally unexpected given the situation and how much it looked like Grant would not be able to even get to the ball. Both were great of course. Again, just my opinion.

BlueDevilBaby
03-27-2009, 06:17 PM
^agreed. Didn't G have one similar to Grant's but perhaps not quite as amazing?

Stray Gator
03-27-2009, 06:28 PM
I think most people would agree the Grant Hill slam was light years ahead of the one by Jones in terms of athleticism and was totally unexpected given the situation and how much it looked like Grant would not be able to even get to the ball. Both were great of course. Again, just my opinion.

I was at that '91 title game in Indy, sitting about 10 rows above floor level in the corner at the opposite end of the court, and I can tell you that when Hurley released the pass, I groaned because it appeared it would sail way over Grant's reach. After the slam, the whole Hoosier Dome was buzzing for a couple of minutes as people simply couldn't believe what they had seen. Remember that Grant was just a freshman at the time...

RainingThrees
03-27-2009, 06:45 PM
^agreed. Didn't G have one similar to Grant's but perhaps not quite as amazing?

The one against FSU in Florida was very impressive. Thats probably the one you are thinking of.

SilkyJ
03-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Does anyone have a picture or video of Elliot's dunk? I can't seem to find one...

Orange&BlackSheep
03-27-2009, 06:55 PM
You have to see it to believe the athleticism ...

Hancock 4 Duke
03-27-2009, 07:02 PM
http://www.yougotdunkedon.com/2009/03/2009-ncaa-tournament-dukes-elliot.html

The video is small and hard to see, but awesome nonetheless. I am glad he isn't hurt.

MChambers
03-27-2009, 09:30 PM
I was at that '91 title game in Indy, sitting about 10 rows above floor level in the corner at the opposite end of the court, and I can tell you that when Hurley released the pass, I groaned because it appeared it would sail way over Grant's reach. After the slam, the whole Hoosier Dome was buzzing for a couple of minutes as people simply couldn't believe what they had seen. Remember that Grant was just a freshman at the time...

The next day, a friend told me that no more than 5 NBA players could have made that play.

RainingThrees
03-28-2009, 05:06 AM
Here's his dunk on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GDh9qfHZ5E

grossbus
03-28-2009, 09:51 AM
that foul looked borderline flagrant to me. didn't seem to be going for the ball. maybe he just couldn't get to it.

how long before people start sitting on his left hand? has he gone right once this year?

gofurman
03-28-2009, 10:10 AM
is there youtube of grant hill dunk v kansas?

RainingThrees
03-28-2009, 10:20 AM
is there youtube of grant hill dunk v kansas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLqqWQXQmjM

captmojo
03-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Williams' dunk is impressive not simply because he scored and was fouled but due to the fact it was something Duke had to get from it's offense...a drive to attack the basket. Villanova's perimeter defense was not allowing for interior penetration and the "take charge" attitude was much overdue.

The foul didn't look good but I don't think you could make the case for intent

Duke4life92
03-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Anyone remember the grant hill dunk in the 94 ncaa tourney(i think)over that 7 footer from marquette(or was it purdue?).He nearly jumped over the guy straddling him as he finished the dunk-one of the more awesome dunks i've ever seen :D

BlueHeaven
03-28-2009, 11:10 PM
What's up with Grant's fade in this game? I don't remember this hair! Also, who was the Kansas coach? I wasn't as into it as I am now...is that Roy Williams, without gray hair?? Last question...who were teh Duke assistant coaches hugging Coach K?

proelitedota
03-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Roy Williams was the head coach of KU before he bolted for UNC after a loss at a championship game, not the 1992 one though.

Lord Ash
03-29-2009, 11:18 AM
Honestly, I think Nolan's dunk at the start of the year over two guys was a real highlight dunk of the year... and it isn't getting enough love!:)

dgoore97
03-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Phil Henderson over Alonzo Mourning in 1989 is one i remember most because Mourning was a freshman and there was so much hype around him and phil just dunked it on him. it was a crazy moment, the Chronicle even had a cartoon about it the next day. any body else remember that one?

Verga3
03-29-2009, 04:58 PM
Phil Henderson over Alonzo Mourning in 1989 is one i remember most because Mourning was a freshman and there was so much hype around him and phil just dunked it on him. it was a crazy moment, the Chronicle even had a cartoon about it the next day. any body else remember that one?

You're right.....one of the best ever.

Here you go. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbIxFvMmcmc&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fvideosear ch%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3D%2522phil%2520henderson%2522%25 20dunk%2520%2522alonzo%2520mourning%2522%26&feature=player_embedded

Newton_14
03-29-2009, 10:22 PM
You young guys will not remember this one, but back in the day Gene Banks had a very nasty dunk over the great Ralph Sampson from Virginia. Sorry, I do not have a link, maybe someone else does.

One of the great dunks in Duke history...

trey
03-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Anyone remember the grant hill dunk in the 94 ncaa tourney(i think)over that 7 footer from marquette(or was it purdue?).He nearly jumped over the guy straddling him as he finished the dunk-one of the more awesome dunks i've ever seen :D

I remember this like it was yesterday. I remember him barking at the guy after the play. It ended up on One Shining Moment that year, along with his nasty spill in the title game. This is definitely one of my favorite Grant Hill dunks.

JBDuke
03-30-2009, 09:31 AM
You have to see it to believe the athleticism ...

Lots of folks get this wrong. JD didn't dunk on The Admiral - it was another Navy big man, and a white one, IIRC. Evans knows, if he reads this - he's posted about the details before.

NashvilleDevil
03-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Lots of folks get this wrong. JD didn't dunk on The Admiral - it was another Navy big man, and a white one, IIRC. Evans knows, if he reads this - he's posted about the details before.

There were two big plays Dawkins made in that Regional final against Navy. Right before the half he had a reverse dunk over Kyler Whittaker I believe. It was pretty nasty!

In the 2nd half with Duke pulling away Amaker threw a lob to Dawkins after he got behind the defense that he laid in. Robinson was in the vicinity but he did not make a play on the ball.