PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Coaching Carousel

BlueintheFace
03-27-2009, 03:47 PM
First up is reports that Donovan is leaving Florida to Kentucky

http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/032709source_donovan_leaving_UCF

Oh boy...

Kenny Boynton COULD still be in play... never say never (though stay pessimistic because the basketball gods aren't high on us right now)

Shammrog
03-27-2009, 04:07 PM
I have a very good word (but, not defiinite) that Billy Donovan is the new Kentucky coach. Possible announcement as early as today.

Take it for what it's worth, but I am not kidding.

novablue4
03-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Some conferences have rules that make it so a kid like Boynton can't transfer to another SEC school w/o suffering some major stab wound.

I just wish we'd somehow get Darrius Smith.

Bluedog
03-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Some conferences have rules that make it so a kid like Boynton can't transfer to another SEC school w/o suffering some major stab wound.

I just wish we'd somehow get Darrius Smith.

Boynton isn't a Florida student yet. He's graduating high school this year. So, as long as Florida lets him get out of his letter of intent (I don't think they're obligated to do that, right?), it is my understanding that he can go wherever he wants, just like Miles Plumlee did for us last year after getting the go ahead from Stanford.

DukieBoy
03-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Maybe the basketball Gods are still with us.

But what would that do with other offered scholarships.

BlueintheFace
03-27-2009, 04:53 PM
INTERESTING TWIST: ESPNews reports that Donovan has put out a statement reaffirming his commitment to the university and to the program.

DBFAN
03-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Wouldn't Boynton just got to UK with Donovan. It is not like Kentucky is that much farther away than NC, from Florida. Now I obviously do not know the Scholarship situation at UK right now, does anybody have any perspective on that?

BlueintheFace
03-27-2009, 04:57 PM
CBS Sports and Gary Parrish have confirmed. Billy Donovan isn't going anywhere. Looks like a certain Orlando Tv station just lost some credibility.

DukieBoy
03-27-2009, 05:01 PM
CBS Sports and Gary Parrish have confirmed. Billy Donovan isn't going anywhere. Looks like a certain Orlando Tv station just lost some credibility.

I'm glad I almost got my hopes up for them to be crushed for a second day in a row :mad::)

tbyers11
03-27-2009, 05:06 PM

It's pretty hard to lose credibility when you don't have any to start with :).

I live in Orlando and can assure you that no one in Florida outside of Gainesville gives 2 hoots about college hoops and Gator fans only really care about the games where Tim Tebow comes to the game to announce that he is coming back for another year at halftime.

The whole Donovan to UK thing struck me as a wet dream of some Kentucky booster and I am not shocked at all that the Orlando media got it all wrong.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-28-2009, 01:41 AM
Bob Knight is officially taking the Job at Kentucky according to my sources. They are very good sources, look where I live... Las Vegas and you know who is in Vegas chilling at the Wynn right now...;)

Airforce "Bob Knight is my source, I swear he is" Dukie

dukeballer2294
03-28-2009, 02:27 AM
I am not sure if this is a kentucky only thread but word from espn is Anthony Grant of VCU has accepted the job at Alabama. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4022289

duketaylor
03-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Grant did accept the 'Bama job, VCU will sorely miss him.

miramar
03-28-2009, 10:52 AM
All of a sudden VCU has become a hotbed of young coaches. How did that happen?

dukieinaz
03-28-2009, 11:45 AM
I have heard that Rick Pitino may be coming to Arizona

BlueintheFace
03-28-2009, 01:23 PM
How weird is it that the Arizona and Kentucky jobs are open and that the Arizona job is actually more desirable to prospective coaches.

Two coaches to watch for the Arizona Job; Pitino and Izzo. Both are about to finish a peak in the 2-4 year ebb and flow that occurs with top tier schools and neither has a big-time recruiting class coming in that would really make them want to stay too badly.

dukemsu
03-28-2009, 02:03 PM
How weird is it that the Arizona and Kentucky jobs are open and that the Arizona job is actually more desirable to prospective coaches.

Two coaches to watch for the Arizona Job; Pitino and Izzo. Both are about to finish a peak in the 2-4 year ebb and flow that occurs with top tier schools and neither has a big-time recruiting class coming in that would really make them want to stay too badly.

While I am not one of the Spartans who think Izzo will never leave, I don't see him leaving this year. However, I agree that Arizona is a more likely move than UK. Izzo is a bad fit at UK. He thinks that MSU fans have high expectations. He would have major problems with the UK fanbase. Throw in the fact that one of his best friends happens to be Tubby, and he plays a similar styles, it just is not a good fit. They could pay him a ton, though.

Arizona makes a bit more sense, but throw in the factors that they are likely headed for probation and that they can't match his compensation package (outside of his salary and Nike stuff, he gets $4 million if he's in East Lansing in April 2010), and it's still not a likely move. He also has a pretty good team coming back next year and his family is extremely comfy in EL.

Izzo will eventually go, but it will be to the NBA in my opinion.

dukemsu

msdukie
03-28-2009, 10:59 PM
It's pretty hard to lose credibility when you don't have any to start with :).

I live in Orlando and can assure you that no one in Florida outside of Gainesville gives 2 hoots about college hoops and Gator fans only really care about the games where Tim Tebow comes to the game to announce that he is coming back for another year at halftime.

The whole Donovan to UK thing struck me as a wet dream of some Kentucky booster and I am not shocked at all that the Orlando media got it all wrong.

Seriously, living in Tampa, I've never gotten the impression that anyone in Gainesville gave 2 hoots about college hoops either.....

DukieBoy
03-29-2009, 10:43 PM
Looks like UK has a potential prospect (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026035).

Wouldn't that be so nice.

Duvall
03-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Looks like UK has a potential prospect (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026035).

Wouldn't that be so nice.

I guess UK would have to switch its official package delivery service from Emery Air Freight to FedEx. A big step.

Jarhead
03-30-2009, 10:41 AM
According to ESPN Sport Center, today's 10 AM version. Calipari is leaving Memphis State and taking on a huge contract at Kentucky. The ESPN site online has not brought it up yet. It's an Andy Katz story, they said.

Oriole Way
03-30-2009, 10:45 AM
WOW. Huge ramifications for college basketball, including Duke. If Henderson comes back, I considered Memphis our main competitor for a national title.

I have a boatload of questions.

Will Wall consider Kentucky?

Is Duke now more attractive for Wall?

Which recruits will follow Cal to UK?

Will Cal leaving cause any current Memphis players to transfer, or bolt to the NBA faster?

Did UK consider Billy Donovan, and would he have been a better choice given his Kentucky connections and a resume which includes two championships?

Very interesting.

BlueintheFace
03-30-2009, 10:46 AM
According to ESPN Sport Center, today's 10 AM version. Calipari is leaving Memphis State and taking on a huge contract at Kentucky. The ESPN site online has not brought it up yet. It's an Andy Katz story, they said.

Wow, this has huge implications.

Memphis Job is open

John Wall's recruitment

Kentucky could start Jodie Meeks, Patrick Patterson, Demarcus Cousins, and (please no) John Wall

If Cousins doesn't go with Calipari, he will go somewhere new. Xavier Henry might also be asking for a release. A lot of 5 star recruits will be floating around this drama.

roywhite
03-30-2009, 10:46 AM
Seems like the marriage of a win at all costs coach and we-don't-care-what-you-do, just win fanbase

BlueintheFace
03-30-2009, 10:47 AM
haha Oriole Way and I also coordinated our outfits today.... jk

RainingThrees
03-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Calipari going to a real league? WHAT!!!

OldSchool
03-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Not a done deal, according to the article posted by Andy Katz this morning.

Reporting that Cal is meeting with Kentucky today. Could still be a ploy to get more money and love out of Memphis.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026848

KyDevilinIL
03-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah, this isn't a done deal yet.

Cal's banking on both Memphis and UK emptying the coffers, which I'm sure both will attempt to do.

Gillispie's firing is essentially two winning lottery tickets for Cal. He's just got to pick which one to cash in.

Duvall
03-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Calipari going to a real league? WHAT!!!

Well, the SEC anyway.

Jarhead
03-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Not a done deal, according to the article posted by Andy Katz this morning.

Reporting that Cal is meeting with Kentucky today. Could still be a ploy to get more money and love out of Memphis.

I have been looking for that link. ESPN lead the 10 o'clock hour with the story, but implied it was a done deal. Here is another look from Sunday's Memphis Commercial Appeal (http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/mar/29/calipari-may-meet-kentucky-officials/).

KenTankerous
03-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Please NOOOOO! I love my wildcats but roywhite is right, Calipari's lack of ethics can only spell disaster down the road for Kentucky.

Why can't the BBall gods smile on My Old Kentucky Home and bring Pat Riley with Trevor Ford as his assistant to Lexington? Pat could lead the way for a few years and then hand the program to a Kentucky native to really nurture a long term successful program. We could borrow a page from K's book and hire ex-Cats as assistants to groom a lifetime of coaching consistency.

OK, I'll come down from my cloud now...

loran16
03-30-2009, 11:03 AM
The eleven o clock sports center is still using the "contemplating" language.

So, not a done deal. I still think he's basically extorting Memphis for money and then leaving Kentucky out in the cold.

Kewlswim
03-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Hi,

If Calipari really has no interest in going to Kentucky and is just using them for more money out of Memphis he is both hurting Memphis and Kentucky at the same time. What a jerk.

GO DUKE!

Oriole Way
03-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi,

If Calipari really has no interest in going to Kentucky and is just using them for more money out of Memphis he is both hurting Memphis and Kentucky at the same time. What a jerk.

GO DUKE!

I'm not going to blame Calipari for looking out for himself and his family. And I'm definitely not going to feel sorry for either UK or Memphis. They are big time programs that have money to throw around, and Calipari will generate millions of dollars for whichever school he's at.

KyDevilinIL
03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/mar/30/source-calipari-meets-players-hints-departure/

Well, the Memphis Commercial Appeal now says Cal met with Memphis players today. While not specifically saying he was going to UK, he apparently compared the UK job to the Notre Dame football job. The paper said the players seem convinced he's gone.

So...certainly sounds like Calipari's moving to the stone walls and white fences of horse country.

As others have said, my primary interest in this is John Wall. Kentucky is perhaps even more desperate for a PG than Duke, considering UK still has Michael Porter. Cal seems like the sort of guy who would guarantee Wall a starting job from Day 1, whereas K doesn't do that sort of thing.

If Wall's interested in both UK and Calipari, then the melding of the two certainly seems to give UK a leg up, at least on paper. Here's hoping Wall's been floored by Duke to the point that he forgets about everything else.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-30-2009, 11:27 AM
To the best of my (very limited) knowledge Wall has never expressed any particular interest in Kentucky. Neither Scout (http://hsgeorgia.scout.com/a.z?s=37&p=8&c=1&nid=3060204) nor Rivals (http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=68235&sport=2) lists Wall as interested. Obviously if he really wants to play with Cal that makes them a major option, but there's nothing I'm aware of that makes Cal at UK any more attractive than Cal at UM. I'll be curious to see how that affects guys like Patterson who signed on to play with Gillespie and are considering a jump to the NBA. Are they more likely to go since their coach is gone? Are they excited run with a guy like Cal and the players he bring? Lots of things up in the air right now.

Oriole Way
03-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Well, the Memphis Commercial Appeal now says Cal met with Memphis players today. While not specifically saying he was going to UK, he apparently compared the UK job to the Notre Dame football job. The paper said the players seem convinced he's gone.

So...certainly sounds like Calipari's moving to the stone walls and white fences of horse country.

As others have said, my primary interest in this is John Wall. Kentucky is perhaps even more desperate for a PG than Duke, considering UK still has Michael Porter. Cal seems like the sort of guy who would guarantee Wall a starting job from Day 1, whereas K doesn't do that sort of thing.

If Wall's interested in both UK and Calipari, then the melding of the two certainly seems to give UK a leg up, at least on paper. Here's hoping Wall's been floored by Duke to the point that he forgets about everything else.

I think Kentucky would be attractive for Wall, but only if guys like Xavier Henry don't follow Calipari to UK.

I don't think having both Henry and Meeks to compete with for shots would be ideal, but then again, there would have been some talent at Memphis as well, especially if Tyreke Evans stays another year.

BD80
03-30-2009, 11:31 AM
When did Ky get permission to talk to Calipari?

Negotiations seem fairly far along considering that Billy Clyde was set free late Friday afternoon. One report stated Ky had discussed the general money terms with Cal last night.

This bodes well for Billy's case for the $6 mil buyout and for Memphis' tampering case.

KyDevilinIL
03-30-2009, 11:36 AM
When did Ky get permission to talk to Calipari?

Negotiations seem fairly far along considering that Billy Clyde was set free late Friday afternoon. One report stated Ky had discussed the general money terms with Cal last night.

This bodes well for Billy's case for the $6 mil buyout and for Memphis' tampering case.

Exactly. There's an air of sleaze wafting over both Gillispie's ouster and the apparent rapid-fire hiring of Calipari.

Which is par for the course for both halves of this marriage. That's why Forde came out and said having Calipari at the helm might not be the best move for the ol' Cats.

NYDukie
03-30-2009, 12:01 PM
As this was discussed a bit on Friday on one of the threads, even if not done or if it falls apart, this is a match made in heaven as you have a institution and a individual who either are desperate to regain the attention and status it once had (i.e. Kentucky) and one who craves the media attention and wants to prove to everyone he can win and win big but who needs a championship to show off to everyone. I know Cal has a nice thing going at Memphis and everyone says how can he walk away from 30+ wins a year and a top recruiting class, but remember he is the big fish in a small pond and will never get the recognition as Coach K, Roy or Pitino until he is the big fish in the big pond. He seems to have a ego the size of the three coaches I just mentioned. Just watch how he talks to go along with his actions during an interview. On top of that, he can bring in the same players, develop the team in a BCS league, suffer a few more loses but in the end it will prep them better for a national championship run to get over the hump. And finally, as for the recruits, correct me if I'm wrong but I think most of them only gave verbals and the committed to the COACH not the school. So if he bolts, they will go with him pending available scholarships and that goes for Wall too.

BlueintheFace
03-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Gary Parrish expects it to be done soon from info he has received

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11569528

NYDukie
03-30-2009, 12:05 PM
As this was discussed a bit on Friday on one of the threads, even if not done or if it falls apart, this is a match made in heaven as you have a institution and a individual who either are desperate to regain the attention and status it once had (i.e. Kentucky) and one who craves the media attention and wants to prove to everyone he can win and win big but who needs a championship to show off to everyone. I know Cal has a nice thing going at Memphis and everyone says how can he walk away from 30+ wins a year and a top recruiting class, but remember he is the big fish in a small pond and will never get the recognition as Coach K, Roy or Pitino until he is the big fish in the big pond. He seems to have a ego the size of the three coaches I just mentioned. Just watch how he talks to go along with his actions during an interview. On top of that, he can bring in the same players, develop the team in a BCS league, suffer a few more loses but in the end it will prep them better for a national championship run to get over the hump. And finally, as for the recruits, correct me if I'm wrong but I think most of them only gave verbals and the committed to the COACH not the school. So if he bolts, they will go with him pending available scholarships and that goes for Wall too.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying Coach K, Roy or Pitino have excessive egos, though I do think you do need some type of to be a top level coach, but that Cal's ego exceeds the combined ego of them and probably a many other top coaches COMBINDED.

throatybeard
03-30-2009, 12:06 PM
While not specifically saying he was going to UK, he apparently compared the UK job to the Notre Dame football job.

Last week, Colin Cowherd said something like "taking the Kentucky basketball job is like dating a woman who's an eight-and-a-half but thinks she's a ten-plus. She's got a lot going for her, but there's absolutely no way you'll ever make her happy."

Memphis Devil
03-30-2009, 12:14 PM
The one who will really be left with the short end of the stick is Xavier Henry. Cousins will most likely decommit (or deverbal?) to Memphis. If Cal goes to Ky, I think Evans leaves early as well as Taggart. There will still be some talent at Memphis, but would they let Henry out of his commitment? Although it may be the right thing to do, I don't think it would be smart. Henry is considered to be a one year guy. Whether Cal is at Memphis or not, Henry will still have to prove himself as NBA ready with his one year. It would be to his detriment to sulk if Memphis doesn't release him. Plus, having someone the caliber of Henry coming in makes Memphis a much more attractive job for any new coach.

KyDevilinIL
03-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Last week, Colin Cowherd said something like "taking the Kentucky basketball job is like dating a woman who's an eight-and-a-half but thinks she's a ten-plus. She's got a lot going for her, but there's absolutely no way you'll ever make her happy."

Absolutely. The state is abuzz right now because it looks like UK is close to making a huge splash.

But the message board folks over here are already chatting about an Elite Eight and a Final Four next season under Calipari. Nevermind they didn't even make the tournament this season.

Everything is sunshine and roses in Lexington at the moment, but if Cal doesn't get the Cats really deep into the postseason in 2010, the masses will begin grumbling anew.

mgtr
03-30-2009, 12:33 PM
There is an old maxim which UK needs to consider - Be careful what you wish for, you might get it!

mr. synellinden
03-30-2009, 12:38 PM
The one who will really be left with the short end of the stick is Xavier Henry. Cousins will most likely decommit (or deverbal?) to Memphis. If Cal goes to Ky, I think Evans leaves early as well as Taggart. There will still be some talent at Memphis, but would they let Henry out of his commitment? Although it may be the right thing to do, I don't think it would be smart. Henry is considered to be a one year guy. Whether Cal is at Memphis or not, Henry will still have to prove himself as NBA ready with his one year. It would be to his detriment to sulk if Memphis doesn't release him. Plus, having someone the caliber of Henry coming in makes Memphis a much more attractive job for any new coach.

Maybe in that scenario, Henry takes the Brandon Jennings route and spends a year making a million bucks in Italy. Or threatens to do so if Memphis doesn't let him out of his LOI.

BD80
03-30-2009, 12:40 PM
Calipari sounds desperate to make this move; makes one wonder if there are some skeletons arising at Memphis.

Ky may be making a big mistake. Calipari has always played close to the edge with respect to rules, and has attracted the "star" recruits who are most prone to attracting improper benefits. I admit that SO FAR Camby is the only one that was caught, but the one-and-done athlete deserves extra diligence that may not interest Calipari.

Ky has a truly fanatic following that ratchets up the danger of improper benefits. Tubby kept this element at bay for years. These boosters may be chafing at the bit to re exert their influence and get Ky back to its winning ways.

Ky also has fanatic haters that will be scrutinizing every move, every coveted recruit. SEC competitors will also relish the opportunity to bring down Ky.

This could be a exciting ride.

Lavabe
03-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Absolutely. The state is abuzz right now because it looks like UK is close to making a huge splash.

But the message board folks over here are already chatting about an Elite Eight and a Final Four next season under Calipari. Nevermind they didn't even make the tournament this season.

Everything is sunshine and roses in Lexington at the moment, but if Cal doesn't get the Cats really deep into the postseason in 2010, the masses will begin grumbling anew.

Today, we have sunshine here in Lexington, and Keenland starts its spring meet this Friday!

The radio folks are talking things up, and have been for the last two weeks. Frankly, I won't believe Calipari is going to UK unless it's official. I'm also troubled by a purported multi-year, multi-million dollar deal at a time when all universities in the state are on hiring freezes, budget slashes, and more.

To us, now that Duke has a Curry, everything is indeed sunshine and roses here in Bluegrass Country!:D
Cheers,
Lavabe

jipops
03-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Over/Under on number of seasons it takes for UK to be hit with a serious NCAA infraction?

Duvall
03-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Over/Under on number of seasons it takes for UK to be hit with a serious NCAA infraction?

I dunno, but Cleveland State is in serious trouble.

calltheobvious
03-30-2009, 01:07 PM
I dunno, but Cleveland State is in serious trouble.

POTM.

miramar
03-30-2009, 01:12 PM

but I think the only thing they are looking at right now is the fact that at a dump like Memphis, Cal has been to one championship game, two Final Fours, five Elite Eights, and seven Sweet 16s in (I believe) 9 years.

It seems that their fans are entirely results oriented, so perhaps this will be a marriage made in heaven. If it happens, they will certainly become a recruiting powerhouse, at least until the problems start.

miramar
03-30-2009, 01:24 PM
BTW, Rivals already has UK as the #14 recruiting class in the country (Memphis is #1), just ahead of Duke. If Cousins comes over, they would easily crack the the top ten. And since John Wall has Memphis as a possibility, this could get interesting.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=925402#rank

Saratoga2
03-30-2009, 01:37 PM
BTW, Rivals already has UK as the #14 recruiting class in the country (Memphis is #1), just ahead of Duke. If Cousins comes over, they would easily crack the the top ten. And since John Wall has Memphis as a possibility, this could get interesting.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=925402#rank

Maybe Calipari leaving would allow us to be in a better position with Wall and possibly we could get Cousins. Wouldn't that change the equation?

roywhite
03-30-2009, 01:41 PM
Maybe Calipari leaving would allow us to be in a better position with Wall and possibly we could get Cousins. Wouldn't that change the equation?

We are involved with Wall, but have seen no indication of Duke being involved with Cousins.

sleepybear
03-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Livestream from Memphis State
http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/generic/video/streaming_1/Live_Stream_1

BlueintheFace
03-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Here is something to chew on. If the Ky recruits for next year decide they want to stay. Calipari would have to CUT two players to make room for both Cousins AND Wall.

Oriole Way
03-30-2009, 02:30 PM
Here is something to chew on. If the Ky recruits for next year decide they want to stay. Calipari would have to CUT two players to make room for both Cousins AND Wall.

3 if Xavier Henry is released by Memphis and also wants to follow Calipari.

I would think most, if not all, of Kentucky's recruits would still want to enroll at Kentucky. But I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of older guys on the team who don't get much PT suddenly transfer out.

pratt '04
03-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Livestream from Memphis State

Wait, is that a live stream of a door that Coach Cal could potentially walk out of? Hilarious.

Kewlswim
03-30-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm not going to blame Calipari for looking out for himself and his family. And I'm definitely not going to feel sorry for either UK or Memphis. They are big time programs that have money to throw around, and Calipari will generate millions of dollars for whichever school he's at.

Hi,

It sounds more and more like his talking to Kentucky was legit. This is probably a post for the "off topic" boards, but given what I am reading in Oriole Way's post at what point is the argument "just taking care of my family" a bit cloudy or is there ever such a ceiling? Does re-negotiating one's multiple million dollar contract at the first possible sign of getting more out of a team/school "ok" because one is doing everything possible to grab every last nickel? The one with the most toys does win, right?

GO DUKE!

sleepybear
03-30-2009, 03:40 PM
Wait, is that a live stream of a door that Coach Cal could potentially walk out of? Hilarious.

:) Yes

They are reporting updates also.:p

BD80
03-30-2009, 03:48 PM

Permission given by Missouri

Looks like Cal is gone

Bluedog
03-30-2009, 03:50 PM
They're saying Memphis is looking to talk to Mike Anderson, coach of Mizzou. Then who does Mizzou get? Gillespie? ;) This certainly is a coaching carousel.

Edit: Just found this article:

"It's close, but it's not quite done," one source on the Memphis side told CBSSports.com. "Kentucky is pretty sure it's done, but you know Cal, he could change his mind at the last minute."

A separate source said the Memphis assistants are already touching base with recruits to make sure they'd jump to the SEC with them

Duvall
03-30-2009, 03:51 PM
They're saying Memphis is looking to talk to Mike Anderson, coach of Mizzou. Then who does Mizzou get?

Wojo, obviously.

throatybeard
03-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Anderson certainly has experience cleaning up after an ethically-challenged predecessor.

Bernie's got a column up on this quick-like.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemiklasz/story/5B88282E96BCCA9E862575890010A205?OpenDocument

Bluedog
03-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Is Memphis really a step up from Mizzou? I guess they'd probably give him more $$$, but besides that, doesn't seem any better than Mizzou to me. Basketball is the #1 sport at Mizzou and it's the Big XII....But I guess money talks. Perhaps it's easier to recruit big time players to go to Memphis, but I'm not so sure.

crimsonandblue
03-30-2009, 04:10 PM
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/berniemiklasz/story/5B88282E96BCCA9E862575890010A205?OpenDocument

From the link: "He has another nice recruiting class on the way."

He does? He's got Keith Dewitt and Michael Dixon. (http://missouri.scout.com/a.z?s=19&p=9&c=8&cfg=bb&yr=2009) Both 3 stars. One at power forward and one a guard. And he's losing Carroll and Lyons, along with his most dangerous outside shooter in Matt Lawrence.

I know he's trying to get some JUCO big as well.

I don't know who Mizzou goes after if he leaves, but it's always a dangerous balancing act in judging when to extend a coach. Mizzou is probably on the tourney borderline next year. If you extend Anderson and he falters for a couple of years (Good Lord willing) . . .

Not sure Mizzou has any better options though, at this point. Still, it would be nice for Mizzou if Anderson had shown he could recruit well to this point. Not sure he's shown that.

BD80
03-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Interesting development, Fox13 of Memphis and Goodman of FoxSports are reporting that Calipari is trying to convince Memphis to hire former assistant Tony Barbee for the job, indicating that Barbee would be able to keep the current recruiting class in place. This would indicate Cal would then not raid the recruiting class.

Ths could affect the Wall recruitment, since he wouldn't have a relationship with Barbee and Calipari wouldn't have much talent at UK next year. I think we root for Barbee!

Ignatius07
03-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Wall isn't a Memphis commitment, so Calipari would presumably continue to recruit him (now to Kentucky).

MADevil30
03-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Maybe in that scenario, Henry takes the Brandon Jennings route and spends a year making a million bucks in Italy. Or threatens to do so if Memphis doesn't let him out of his LOI.

Isn't it pretty standard procedure that recruits get let out of commitments when the coach who signed them leaves? I didn't even think of it being an issue.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Please NOOOOO! I love my wildcats but roywhite is right, Calipari's lack of ethics can only spell disaster down the road for Kentucky.

Why can't the BBall gods smile on My Old Kentucky Home and bring Pat Riley with Trevor Ford as his assistant to Lexington? Pat could lead the way for a few years and then hand the program to a Kentucky native to really nurture a long term successful program. We could borrow a page from K's book and hire ex-Cats as assistants to groom a lifetime of coaching consistency.

OK, I'll come down from my cloud now...
You have my sympathy, KenTankerous. Let the fireworks begin!

BD80
03-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Isn't it pretty standard procedure that recruits get let out of commitments when the coach who signed them leaves? I didn't even think of it being an issue.

I believe that the school can make the release conditional. Typical conditions are no release to schools in conference or to a specified school where tampering is suspected.

weezie
03-30-2009, 05:09 PM
In the meantime, why is UVA so quiet? Doesn't anybody want that job? Would Gillespie be considered a good candidate? Few?
How about Russ Pennell for VCU? Give him some time to get his bearings on the east coast and he's probably a pretty good fit for the job.

shadowfax336
03-30-2009, 05:09 PM
http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/local/story/University-of-Kentucky-Players-Now-in-Closed-Door/qtdFq0VSP0-yjT7mDBcH7Q.cspx

crimsonandblue
03-30-2009, 05:21 PM
In the meantime, why is UVA so quiet? Doesn't anybody want that job? Would Gillespie be considered a good candidate? Few?
How about Russ Pennell for VCU? Give him some time to get his bearings on the east coast and he's probably a pretty good fit for the job.

Maybe not all quiet: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2008950172_bennett31.html

Virginia hires Tony Bennett.

FireOgilvie
03-30-2009, 05:23 PM
http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/news/local/story/University-of-Kentucky-Players-Now-in-Closed-Door/qtdFq0VSP0-yjT7mDBcH7Q.cspx

6 years, $40+ million.... WOW.

Jim3k
03-30-2009, 05:31 PM
Wazzu coach Tony Bennett to UVa

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9398370/Sources:-Bennett-leaving-Wazzu-for-Virginia

h/t tom.b

shadowfax336
03-30-2009, 05:39 PM
http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/mostpopular/story/Calipari-Gone-Accepts-University-of-Kentucky-Job/jYafFy1xWkWXHqHZTKi6Ig.cspx

ok so a little questionable credibility, but this is the first claim to officialness

pfrduke
03-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Interesting hire for UVA. Good coach, but let's just say his style makes Herb Sendek look like a run-and-gun coach.

Also of note, since this is the general info thread, Anthony Grant was hired by Alabama.

crimsonandblue
03-30-2009, 05:41 PM
http://www.myeyewitnessnews.com/mostpopular/story/Calipari-Gone-Accepts-University-of-Kentucky-Job/jYafFy1xWkWXHqHZTKi6Ig.cspx

ok so a little questionable credibility, but this is the first claim to officialness

That's fantastic. Quoting a student newspaper quoting a Rivals story?

BlueintheFace
03-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Wazzu coach Tony Bennett to UVa

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9398370/Sources:-Bennett-leaving-Wazzu-for-Virginia

h/t tom.b

...and that carousel just keeps spinning

-bdbd
03-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Yes, what a crazy "carousel."
But 'am only interested in so far as it could impact our recruitment of Mr. John Wall from NEARBY Raleigh, who reportedly had a terrific visit Sunday.

I think we've all heard that Wall may have been a "lean" for Memphis, at least up until his visit Sunday to the Gothic Wonderland. Now, who knows?!? But I gotta think that a move of Calipari to KY would (1) Pretty much eliminate Memphis from consideration, and (2) Add KY to the list. Who really knows except Mr. Wall? But, I gotta think, after a long recruiting process and a kid mentally getting ready to resolve things finally in the next couple of weeks, well that almost has to be good news for us. (Calipari newly at KY has not as good a chance as Calipari at Memphis.) :confused:

Come 'on John -- Duke needs ya! Imagine the impact of stepping into a veteran lineup in clear need of a big-time PG!! Can you say "Pre-season number one???" :D

-BDBD

P.S. Interesting comments from KY fans about Calipari's "ethical challenges."
Wasn't aware that he was in the same vein as Tark, Calhoun, et al. (but I loved the post about KY switching from Emery to Fedex for its cash shipments!) 'might be a good fit after all... ;)

dcarp23
03-30-2009, 06:10 PM
It could be interesting to see what goes on at Kentucky this offseason. They had 17 players on the roster this year but only one senior (though no idea how many guys left are actually on scholarship) plus three guys signed and one committed. Then you've got word that Calipari is looking to bring a couple of Memphis guys and some of his recruits, four of whom signed a LOIs. Add Demarcus Cousins and Wall into that mix, plus Pilgrim and you've got like 29 potentially seeking a scholarship at UK next year.

jimsumner
03-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Looks like Tony Bennett

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4028642

captmojo
03-30-2009, 06:23 PM
An up and coming coach given an offer he couldn't refuse. Winning pick for both parties.

roywhite
03-30-2009, 06:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6d03gbmAzc&feature=related

About time we got a decent singer in this conference.

DukieInKansas
03-30-2009, 06:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6d03gbmAzc&feature=related

About time we got a decent singer in this conference.

Thank you - I was thinking the same thing. Did he leave his heart in San Francisco?

CameronBornAndBred
03-30-2009, 06:44 PM
His first season at Washington was 2006-7. So they went to the NCAA's twice in a row, then they went 17-16 this year. That's not too much progress. Best of luck to UVA, but I'd be cautious.

Oh yeah, they lost in the NIT first round, too.

gw67
03-30-2009, 07:13 PM
I like their choice. Trying to recruit in Pullman had to be very difficult for a member of a major conference. I have watched a few PAC Ten games in recent years and his players show improvement from year-to-year. Low and Weaver were not highly recruited and became top flight players under Bennett's coaching.

He is like his father and teaches a slow down game with lots of screening and passing (not too unlike Terry Holland). It will be an interesting contrast to many of the teams in the ACC and his ability to attract good assistants and players will tell the tale. I would like for him to get Bryant Stith on his staff. Stith has been a successful high school coach in his hometown and would put a Virginia stamp on the coaching staff, as well as be a second NBA player (Bennett played for a few years).

I recently read an article about a 2009 recruit from North Carolina, David Chadwick, who had a family relationship with Bennett and committed to Washington State. I wonder whether they will let him out of his commitment and whether he would follow Bennett to Virginia.

gw67

Newton_14
03-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Looks like Tony Bennett

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4028642

First I will admit that I have no idea if this guy can coach or not. That said, I was really hoping that UVA got either Tubby Smith or Sean Miller. I really think part of the problem with our ACC Brethren is we have a heck of alot of bad coaches in our league. That is one reason the Big East handed us our lunches in this years tourney.

Hopefully Bennett turns out to be one of those great finds and becomes a great coach that leads UVA back to glory. The ACC could sure use another good/great coach.

BlueintheFace
03-30-2009, 09:07 PM
Bennet is a decent, not great coach IMO. His teams are very solid on defense, but they also make Big10 teams look like offensive juggernauts. I think he might be in over his head at UVA. He will need to do a great job recruiting to compete.

Time will tell.

dukemsu
03-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Nice hire by UVA. It will be interesting to see if Bennett modifies his style at all.

It's not done yet, but think of the following scenario:

Calipari+Kentucky+World Wide Wes

Oh, think of the potential for ethical meandering.

But seriously, UK would be back in the Final Four within 3 years. Kentucky is about to become Kentucky all over again. Unless Cal is using the whole thing as a means to get more FedEx$ out of Memphis. Wouldn't shock me.

dukemsu

Double DD
03-30-2009, 09:35 PM
Bennet is a decent, not great coach IMO. His teams are very solid on defense, but they also make Big10 teams look like offensive juggernauts. I think he might be in over his head at UVA. He will need to do a great job recruiting to compete.

Time will tell.

His teams have definitely been better defensively, but when he had some solid veterans like in '08, they were fine offensively but just played very slow. The biggest roadblock will be getting people and recruits to see past that tempo like Ben Howland and Jamie Dixon have had to do.

burnspbesq
03-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Bennett is a great hire.

Jeez, the guy won in Pullman. And the winning brought recruiting success. He got Klay Thompson (son of ex-Laker Mychal) out of SoCal last year. That's the first time in living memory that Wazzu got a player that everybody in the Pac-10 wanted.

Ultrarunner
03-30-2009, 11:16 PM
Bennett is a great hire.

Jeez, the guy won in Pullman. And the winning brought recruiting success. He got Klay Thompson (son of ex-Laker Mychal) out of SoCal last year. That's the first time in living memory that Wazzu got a player that everybody in the Pac-10 wanted.

As someone who lives a few minutes down the road from Pullman and works there most days, I can guarantee you two things:

1. Pullman is one of the last places on earth legit Pac-10 bball players want to come to.
2. Bennett has managed to do amazing things with little to no major talent. The dude can coach and he might work out very well for VA.

Just my $.02 worth from the Palouse.

roywhite
03-31-2009, 12:14 AM
As someone who lives a few minutes down the road from Pullman and works there most days, I can guarantee you two things:

1. Pullman is one of the last places on earth legit Pac-10 bball players want to come to.
2. Bennett has managed to do amazing things with little to no major talent. The dude can coach and he might work out very well for VA.

Just my $.02 worth from the Palouse.

There's definitely an opportunity in the ACC for a good young coach, and Bennett might be the guy.

1. The current lineup of coaches is not perceived to be very strong, once you get past Coach K and Roy. Sweaty is probably 3rd.

2. The top 3 guys are in their late 50's and early 60's; they'll likely retire in the next 10-15 years, or sooner.

3. Virginia has a lot in place---very nice arena and facilities, good tradition, good natural recruiting area. No reason they can't be good.

BlueintheFace
03-31-2009, 01:13 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/14296128

35-40 million 6 year deal for a coach who has never won a national championship... oh man

dukeballer2294
03-31-2009, 01:33 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/14296128

35-40 million 6 year deal for a coach who has never won a national championship... oh man

ESPN has reported 35 mil for 8 years... I think the kink was already posted but here it is anyway

Lavabe
03-31-2009, 01:25 PM
They're saying Memphis is looking to talk to Mike Anderson, coach of Mizzou. Then who does Mizzou get? Gillespie? ;) This certainly is a coaching carousel.

Edit: Just found this article:

The AJC is reporting that Anderson has been talking with UGA about its available coaching position:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2009/03/31/uga_anderson.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

The wheels of the bus go round and round...
:D

KenTankerous
03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Lunching at my favorite local pub, I overheard that Memphis has offered Calipari the same $35 million for 8 years, plus a FedEx private jet and a lucrative pension plan.

Good.

Stay John Stay.

dougc33
03-31-2009, 02:48 PM
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090331/SPT0104/303310074/1097

http://www.lex18.com/Global/story.asp?S=10103407&nav=menu203_2

allenmurray
03-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Wow. He will be the highest paid college Basketball coach ever. Just think what a coach with an actual national championship might make. :rolleyes:

Bluedog
03-31-2009, 03:05 PM
Wow. He will be the highest paid college Basketball coach ever. Just think what a coach with an actual national championship might make. :rolleyes:

AFAIK, Coach K's salary isn't public since Duke is private and thus doesn't have to disclose it. Right? Although, as of 2005, it was supposedly around $1.5/million. In 2004, he had a base salary of a "measly" $800,000 (and total comp at $875k). Obviously, he could get a lot more somewhere else...shows his loyalty!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/acc/2005-05-20-duke-krzyzewski-salary_x.htm

dougc33
03-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Salary isn't that big a deal when you've got endorsements like Nike, AMEX, Guitar Hero, etc...

johaad
03-31-2009, 03:16 PM
ESPN still won't confirm this. They keep playing it safe.

mgtr
03-31-2009, 03:16 PM
I don't know that he made so much on the Guitar Hero ad, but he did get some fine white boxers out of it.

Greg_Newton
03-31-2009, 03:43 PM
ESPN still won't confirm this. They keep playing it safe.

I think that's because the only first-hand reports that it's a done deal have been from "a Memphis TV station" and "a friend of Calipari's"... all the rest of the articles are just reporting on this information secondhand. Let's not forget how a Florida TV station reported Donovan was heading to UK just last week...

BD80
03-31-2009, 03:47 PM
Cal is meeting with his staff right now:

http://gary-parrish.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/14303578

Marty10
03-31-2009, 04:53 PM
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=930392

on the laters rivals article in which they interview Cousins and Xavier Henry. The interesting part is Henry says that it is written in his letter of intent that if Calipari leaves he can go anywhere.

"In my Letter of Intent it is written that if Coach Calipari leaves, I can go anywhere,"

Chitowndevil
03-31-2009, 05:10 PM
Interesting. Seth Davis at SI.com actually had a column back in November about Cousins insisting on such a clause in a potential LoI at UAB:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/seth_davis/11/18/hoop.thoughts/?cnn=yes

This is the first instance I can recall of a top tier recruit who signed a LoI actually having such a clause. I wonder whether the NCAA will have anything to say about this.

roywhite
03-31-2009, 05:21 PM
Interesting. Seth Davis at SI.com actually had a column back in November about Cousins insisting on such a clause in a potential LoI at UAB:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/seth_davis/11/18/hoop.thoughts/?cnn=yes

This is the first instance I can recall of a top tier recruit who signed a LoI actually having such a clause. I wonder whether the NCAA will have anything to say about this.

I heard a reporter from Memphis this morning on Dan Patrick's show.

1. In addition to the LOI, each Memphis recruit signs another document that says they will be unconditionally released by Memphis in the result of Coach Calipari leaving.

2. This policy has been in effect for years now; Memphis goes along with it because of Calipari's power and success.

3. This is, in effect, a pre-authorized release by the University from the terms of the LOI.

Now, whether this whole thing hangs together if you've got 4 Memphis recruits looking to get out from signed LOI's, don't know, but that's been the approach.

In Lexington, there are major scholarship numbers problems that further complicate this. Katz claims that current KY players and LOI's put them 2 over already.

So for this all to come together, new UK Coach Cal would have to:
Chop off some existing UK scholarship and encourage UK LOI's to go elsewhere.
Prioritize his Memphis LOI's and potential recruits (Wall and Cousins) to see who he could squeeze in at UK.

A major mess. Good news for Duke, a stable port in the storm for John Wall.

DukieBoy
03-31-2009, 06:51 PM
ESPN just reported Cal to UK at 8 years for 35 million during the 6 o'clock Sportscenter. It's officially official I guess. However, espn.com still hasn't reported it. Whatever the case is, bring on Wall!!!

Skitzle
03-31-2009, 07:09 PM
ESPN just reported Cal to UK at 8 years for 35 million during the 6 o'clock Sportscenter. It's officially official I guess. However, espn.com still hasn't reported it. Whatever the case is, bring on Wall!!!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4031573

link

Kewlswim
03-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi,

I am still not convinced there are going to be problems with recruits at UK. Cal will find players who somehow become football recruits or who knows what and that are then walk-ons for basketball. Maybe he will find debate scholarships for some basketball players if that's what it takes. I don't trust this guy and think he is a major manipulator. He will find a way to get the players he wants in and on his bench.

As a Sophomore I remember traveling to Louisville for Thanksgiving (this was in 1986--well before the Philadelphia tournament game that we all remember). I had spent a lot of time there as a youth. Everyone I spoke with was convinced Duke cheated--not even a little mind you, but a LOT--for they were sure everyone involved with college hoops cheated. After all, their beloved Cats cheated and they were the model everyone aspired to. These are not bad people, this is just what they were accustomed to and what they believed everyone did. After having some problems UK seemed on its way to cleaning up its act. I have severe trepidation for what is about to come down in Lexington.

GO DUKE!

socaldukie
03-31-2009, 08:21 PM

dubayuw
03-31-2009, 08:25 PM
Yeah, just heard it on sportscenter. Maybe we will get Wall now...

socaldukie
03-31-2009, 08:25 PM
who knows what effect this will have on many programs and recruits, including Wall.

grossbus
03-31-2009, 09:02 PM
how fast will memphis fall from powerhouse status? could be really fast.

slower
03-31-2009, 09:04 PM
how fast will memphis fall from powerhouse status? could be really fast.

what's Worldwide Wes gonna do?

miramar
03-31-2009, 09:05 PM
Memphis should fall quickly, but Kentucky will be bigger and badder, in more ways than one.

Kewlswim
03-31-2009, 09:10 PM
He will find a way to get the players he wants in and on his bench.

GO DUKE!

That would be pretty impressive if he can get them to go "in" his bench, right out of Disney. :-)

GO DUKE!

brsett
03-31-2009, 09:16 PM
I wonder how this will turn out. I think Kentucky will win games, possibly a whole, whole lot of games (probably even). But national championships will still be hard fought, and require a little luck. And I just wonder how they'll like the rent a player aspects of Coach Cal. A single player to push you over the top makes sense to me. But a team of 3 one and dones, and several early entrants. Well, I just think it would be hard to care about the team much after 5 or so years of that. Of course, no one really knows.

I actually think he may have a harder time recruiting to Lexington than he did to Memphis, but I have no way of knowing that for certain.

Of course I also think its funny when people talk about the history of the SEC, and superiority of it over conference USA. I mean better? Yes. Much? Not really. Hasn't Kentucky won over 80% of the conference titles. And most of their losses came after they got in so much trouble I thought.

But I don't care about kentucky, so as long as they don't dominate the NCAA, I guess I don't really care how much they win. I would like to see some better coaching in the ACC, the tourney was very disappointing to me this year.

dukelifer
03-31-2009, 09:16 PM
who knows what effect this will have on many programs and recruits, including Wall.

Most of the Memphis recruits were planning to show their stuff and leave for the NBA- assuming there is an NBA to leave to. But if Kentucky takes them- they may be battling for some PT, assuming there are scholarships available. Could be interesting.

johaad
03-31-2009, 09:18 PM
Who do you think will fill Cal's job? I don't know the chances of it but the first name I thought of was Tubby Smith. Probably not, but if it happens I want to be the first to say it.

arydolphin
03-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Mike Anderson of Mizzou isn't going anywhere, Andy Katz was just on ESPN2 saying that he signed a new 7-year contract. He was the #1 choice at Georgia, and Katz says that Georgia may now go after Frank Haith from Miami.

ESPN link about Anderson: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4031846

KenTankerous
03-31-2009, 09:23 PM
I have severe trepidation for what is about to come down in Lexington.

As a loyal Kentucky fan I see Calipari as the second coming.

The second coming of Eddie Sutton-esque sanctions...

Duvall
03-31-2009, 09:26 PM
what's Worldwide Wes gonna do?

Learn to love mint juleps, probably.

dbd4ever
03-31-2009, 09:28 PM
Mike Anderson is one name that is being thrown around at this point, along with Adam Kennedy and also Bruce Pearl....

captmojo
03-31-2009, 09:52 PM
I have severe trepidation for what is about to come down in Lexington.

As a loyal Kentucky fan I see Calipari as the second coming.

The second coming of Eddie Sutton-esque sanctions...

Do you really think it could be allowed to let things go that far astray for a second time? I get the feeling Cal would be heavily watchdogged. I know having been burned is tough, so I understand why you feel the way you do.

KenTankerous
03-31-2009, 09:59 PM
I know my fellow Kentucky fans. And winning will feel soooo good for a change. I like to think that Pres Todd will keep a tight rein but I just don't trust that Coach Cal is clean.

Please please please let me be wrong. But I'm not embracing this at all.

If Kentucky wanted to be really above boards, they would have waited until Izzo was available for discussion before moving so quickly. It's a little tacky that they didn't wait another week or so, don't you think?

grossbus
03-31-2009, 10:01 PM
how fast will memphis fall? has started; evans to go pro. says calipari leaving decided it for him.

mgtr
03-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Mike Anderson of Mizzou isn't going anywhere, Andy Katz was just on ESPN2 saying that he signed a new 7-year contract. He was the #1 choice at Georgia, and Katz says that Georgia may now go after Frank Haith from Miami.

ESPN link about Anderson: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4031846

Maybe Georgia could entice the Herricks to come back!:D

moonpie23
03-31-2009, 10:17 PM

KenTankerous
03-31-2009, 10:26 PM
What's the DBR record for most threads moved to a single unified thread?

This Calipari thing must really worry you Blue Devil fans.

It suddenly ain't all barbecue and VMI anymore, huh?

alteran
03-31-2009, 10:43 PM

BBQ? Why would we feel threatened in the realm of BBQ when virtually everyone else in the world hides their BBQ inferiority behind close equivalents of ketchup?

To me, the Calipari thing just confirms my biases. The biggest thing to me is the Wall factor.

Kewlswim
03-31-2009, 10:47 PM

Hi,

I beg to differ, I neither have anything against the Cats nor worry much about Coach Cal. I just hope he keeps things clean and does things above board. I doubt it though. Now, since I spent my undergraduate days at Duke, I don't give a rats hiney about Kentucky hoops. That being said, I do have friends I was raised with who bleed Kentucky basketball and I hope they aren't hurt again--by some clod hopper slick snake oil salesman who could care less about doing things the "right way." I think a strong Kentucky team is good for basketball. I look forward to the Devils matching up with them going into the future.

GO DUKE!

moonpie23
03-31-2009, 11:08 PM
BBQ? Why would we feel threatened in the realm of BBQ when virtually everyone else in the world hides their BBQ inferiority behind close equivalents of ketchup?

i beg to differ also..... puhlEEEEze.....this will surely put me on the outs with many here, but seriously, that vinegar soaked pig they call BBQ here in NC is a poor excuse for one of the worlds most delectable delicacies...

i love NC....i've lived here most of my life, but that ketchup based stuff puts vinegar soaked swine to shame...

-jk
03-31-2009, 11:15 PM

Way more than this one! ;) Check out some of the recruiting threads...

We do this because any thread on one coaching move inevitably turns into speculation on his replacement. And so forth. We'd rather keep it together.

-jk

dukemsu
03-31-2009, 11:53 PM

Whatever. Enjoy your incoming satellite branch of the NCAA, sure to move in right down the street from Rupp. Oops. Hasn't there always been one there?

dukemsu

LSanders
04-01-2009, 12:35 AM
This column from Pat Forde on KY's new hire is too funny:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4032093&sportCat=ncb

Lulu
04-01-2009, 01:16 AM
When are Kentucky fans going to realize we couldn't care less about them? Just because they are obsessed doesn't mean the feelings are reciprocated. It's almost creepy, like when that weird little guy in the corner of the cafeteria knows every item the pretty girl has ever brought for lunch, but she's never even noticed him, and certainly wouldn't know his name.
(Sadly, I have an even better analogy, where Duke isn't necessarily a pretty girl, but am afraid overzealous PC-police might take offense.)

I mean, I think they've beaten us maybe one time since the '60s. A lot of teams have done that. A lot have done worse, and that's really who we care about.

If you asked me a week ago which I cared about more, Calipari or Kentucky, the answer would have been Calipari in a 50-fold landslide. Of course, I don't even care that much about Calipari, just the normal dislike due to him for being a huge blight on the landscape of college basketball. So now Kentucky has Calipari, and I'll continue to dislike him wherever he goes, but the fact he's at Kentucky is barely more than an afterthought. If I ever thought about them recently it was just to recall what an intolerant, foolish fanbase they have nowadays, and then my thoughts would move on to the 50 or so more relevant teams that are around. Sorry Laettner had to hit that shot against you UK, buy you could have been anyone.

mgtr
04-01-2009, 03:01 AM
Some people have to spend their time dreaming about the past, because their future appears not good. Sometimes Dukies are also guilty of this phenomenon. Personally, I would rather look forward, and our forward looks pretty good!

throatybeard
04-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Unfortunately, we have a lot of posters who think every single thought they have and every single thing they ever see on the web deserves a new thread.

This article says that Mike Anderson may not have actually gotten that $2.1M offer from Georgia.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/mizzou/story/55C19833BA791BA28625758B000BF223?OpenDocument

Either way, Mizzou AD Mike Alden is really doing his job, nailing both Pinkel and Anderson down long term in the same year.

roywhite
04-01-2009, 01:17 PM
Well, the UK folks certainly are happy about getting Coach Calipari; wall-to-wall (no pun intended) news coverage and the message boards are humming.

Had to laugh---currently at catspause.com---there is a topic about whether the 2010 UK team would be as good or better than the 1996 UK team (34-2 record, NCAA champions, 9 players later played in NBA).

Fortunately, most posters think they won't be quite that good next year.

KyDevilinIL
04-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Had to laugh---currently at catspause.com---there is a topic about whether the 2010 UK team would be as good or better than the 1996 UK team (34-2 record, NCAA champions, 9 players later played in NBA).

Fortunately, most posters think they won't be quite that good next year.

Calipari is a great hire for UK. He'll win plenty of games, he'll bring in stud recruits. But mainly he will charm the pants off the large segment of the UK fanbase who, in the years since Pitino left, has simply craved a coach with such a tremendous ego.

Cal wants all eyes on him at all times. That's what he's got.

Meanwhile, I understand why the UK message boards are so buzzy. It's the most important development for that program since they won the title in 1998. But the expectations already being placed on the 2009-10 team by some of these folks - wow, it's almost approaching mental disease.

Lavabe
04-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Unfortunately, we have a lot of posters who think every single thought they have and every single thing they ever see on the web deserves a new thread.

This article says that Mike Anderson may not have actually gotten that $2.1M offer from Georgia.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/mizzou/story/55C19833BA791BA28625758B000BF223?OpenDocument

Either way, Mizzou AD Mike Alden is really doing his job, nailing both Pinkel and Anderson down long term in the same year.

Technically, that article actually cites the AJC report that I posted yesterday. Glad to see that Alden seems to be doing VERY well.

Monday's AJC had the coaching search at UGA directed towards Anderson and ... JEFF CAPEL. There still seems to be some discussion about Capel:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2009/03/31/georgia_mike_anderson.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_ne wstab

Then again, the UGA article in the AJC lists a lot of others who might fit the bill. Also, take a look at the Jeff Capel poll with the newer AJC link.:)

The wheels on the bus go round and round...

crimsonandblue
04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Few turned down Arizona. Capel is now likely the main target out in the desert.

geraldsneighbor
04-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Word is Capel is the leader at Arizona now...

roywhite
04-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Word is Capel is the leader at Arizona now...

Is that a better job than Oklahoma? or marginally better, perhaps?

Has Jeff given some indication he's looking for another gig?

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-01-2009, 03:11 PM

At least his wardrobe already includes some of the right colors should such a change occur..........

NYDukie
04-01-2009, 03:22 PM

Whether or not Oklahoma is currently a better job than Arizona is not really the issue. The bigger issue is that Oklahoma is a football school first, whereas Arizona is a basketball shool. Zona basketball has been considered among the best programs for as long as I can remember since I started being a college basketball fan as a kid in the mid 80s. I forget when Lute came on board but he made it a national brand. Oklahoma has had its moments, such with Mookie Blaylock and Stacey King in the late 80s but its not the same national program as Zona. That said, whether Capel was to go there or not, he at least owes it to himself to look at Zona as if he was to go there and get that program rolling similar to what he has now at Oklahoma, players would be knocking on the doors to go there.

Wheat/"/"/"
04-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Here's a heads up that you guys should find interesting from The Sporting News.... (http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=533864)

Cameron
04-01-2009, 07:02 PM
ESPNews has been talking about this most of the day, and, from what I have heard, this has serious legs.

It would certainly be a great gig for Jeff. A big time basketball power with tremendous tradition, and the weather and recruiting climate out west is pretty amazing.

I hope he takes it.

Wheat/"/"/"
04-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Yea, I thought that could be a nice step up for him when I first read about it, but then Oklahoma might step up too. Would be a nice time to be jogging with Capel on the career path.

yancem
04-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm not sure how much I like the move. I know that Arizona has a better basketball tradition then Oklahoma but really it's not like its a huge step up. Recruiting might be a little easier because of the climate but Capel seems to be doing pretty well in the recruiting department and is well on his way to making Oklahoma a big time program.

I guess if it came down to it, I would rather live in Arizona then Oklahoma so I wouldn't fault him for the move but I'm not a big fan of jumping from position to position. It's one thing to move from a small mid major to a program in a major conference but if he's not careful he might get a reputation for not sticking around like Larry Brown.

Franzez
04-01-2009, 07:31 PM
I have some friends who went to Memphis and are familiar with some of the current Memphis boosters.

Well, supposedly Memphis is considering Chris Collins as a candidate for their vacant Head Coaching job due to his coaching ability and familiarity with the recruiting in the southeast.

No this is not an April Fools Joke.

When I started thinking about it Chris would be a great hire to help establish a new era in Memphis basketball, it would be hard to see him leave after how long he has been here but I think he deserves it.

BlueintheFace
04-01-2009, 07:36 PM
If I had to bet on a school for Collins' first head coaching job, I would go with Northwestern.

Franzez
04-01-2009, 07:38 PM
If I had to bet on a school for Collins' first head coaching job, I would go with Northwestern.
For some reason Northwestern has never seemed like an appealing job from a basketball standpoint.

I've never understood how its possible that Northwestern has never been to a NCAA Tournament.

Wheat/"/"/"
04-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Oklahoma is a nice job, no doubt.
But for him as a young coach to get an offer (?) to coach a program like AZ in the Pac-10 is a big step up, IMO.

His pay scale just went up to even be considered for a job like that. It's got to be in everybody's top ten coaching position job list, right?

Oklahoma will have to pay up to keep him with all the job openings out there.

Nobody can fault him for making this move if it happens, IMO.

geraldsneighbor
04-01-2009, 08:22 PM
I have some friends who went to Memphis and are familiar with some of the current Memphis boosters.

Well, supposedly Memphis is considering Chris Collins as a candidate for their vacant Head Coaching job due to his coaching ability and familiarity with the recruiting in the southeast.

No this is not an April Fools Joke.

When I started thinking about it Chris would be a great hire to help establish a new era in Memphis basketball, it would be hard to see him leave after how long he has been here but I think he deserves it.

Memphis won't take a risk on an assistant coach when other higher profile names are interested. (I.E. Tim Floyd)

Kewlswim
04-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Memphis won't take a risk on an assistant coach when other higher profile names are interested. (I.E. Tim Floyd)

Hi,

Tim Floyd has a good thing started at USC. The Galen Center is a good facility. I think Coach Floyd is from the South, but I would think it would take more than that to get him to go to Memphis. The Pac-10 is a good conference. I just don't see it. Then again football is king at SC so maybe that is why he would consider it.

GO DUKE!

mgtr
04-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Memphis might be OK as a stepping stone. You can use their history as a recruiting tool, and with a couple of good players you can pile up a bunch of wins (meaningless wins, but wins). The downside is that the fan base may turn into UK, expecting the final four every year. Lots of pluses and minuses. Tough call for a young coach.

bwi2
04-01-2009, 09:49 PM
Hi,

Tim Floyd has a good thing started at USC. The Galen Center is a good facility. I think Coach Floyd is from the South, but I would think it would take more than that to get him to go to Memphis. The Pac-10 is a good conference. I just don't see it. Then again football is king at SC so maybe that is why he would consider it.

GO DUKE!

For what it's worth, Tim Floyd is likely taking the Arizona job (at least likely enough that he flew down to Tucson today).

tbyers11
04-01-2009, 11:05 PM
For what it's worth, Tim Floyd is likely taking the Arizona job (at least likely enough that he flew down to Tucson today).

Yeah, ESPN is now reporting Tim Floyd to Arizona (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4035206). Doesn't it seem really odd to move to another head coaching job within the same conference and face the kids that you recruited twice a year.

Is the Arizona job even "better" than the USC job anymore? Assuming the majority of the Wise-Budinger-Hill trio go pro, aren't you pretty much starting from scratch at Arizona?

geraldsneighbor
04-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Yeah, ESPN is now reporting Tim Floyd to Arizona (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4035206). Doesn't it seem really odd to move to another head coaching job within the same conference and face the kids that you recruited twice a year.

Is the Arizona job even "better" than the USC job anymore? Assuming the majority of the Wise-Budinger-Hill trio go pro, aren't you pretty much starting from scratch at Arizona?

I would guess Capel had second thoughts on leaving OU. I can't believe USC would let him go to Arizona inside the conference. I'd have a bird if I was a USC fan. Not to mention Floyd will get a hell of a reception at the Galen Center now in the future.

FireOgilvie
04-01-2009, 11:15 PM

Yeah, this is very strange to me. I think it would be just as easy to recruit to USC than Arizona (maybe easier to USC). Also, this isn't exactly a "wow" hire by Arizona. Floyd has never really impressed me. He went 21-12 with OJ Mayo and a ton of talent last year. He only made the NCAA Tournament this year because his team pulled it together for a few games to win the PAC-10 Tournament... and there was still a lot of talent on that team. I would be pretty mad right now if I was an Arizona alum.

burnspbesq
04-01-2009, 11:26 PM
I'm heavily biased because I went to SC (law school) and live and work in SoCal, but IMO if either Wojo or Chris have a lick of sense they campaign like hell for the USC job. Great facility, good school, massive alumni support, really solid nucleus coming back if you can convince Gibson and Hackett to stay, potentially the best freshman post player of next year signed up if you can keep him, and no pressure whatsoever (thanks to Pete Carroll).

FireOgilvie
04-01-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm heavily biased because I went to SC (law school) and live and work in SoCal, but IMO if either Wojo or Chris have a lick of sense they campaign like hell for the USC job. Great facility, good school, massive alumni support, really solid nucleus coming back if you can convince Gibson and Hackett to stay, potentially the best freshman post player of next year signed up if you can keep him, and no pressure whatsoever (thanks to Pete Carroll).

You bring up a good point about Renardo Sidney. I guarantee that he immediately withdraws his commitment to USC. He never signed a LOI. It's amazing how many top 10 players are uncommitted at this point in time.

Xavier Henry
John Wall
DeMarcus Cousins
Lance Stephenson
Renardo Sidney

Including Sidney, that's 5 of the top 7 players (according to Scout). Wow.

CameronBornAndBred
04-01-2009, 11:38 PM
Here's a good point from Jeff Goodman regarding Arizona and Floyd.

"The Arizona job isn't nearly as attractive the aforementioned schools — especially in the short-term because of the lack of talent in Tucson. Juniors Chase Budinger and Jordan Hill — the team's top two players — are both likely to leave early for the NBA and starting point guard Nic Wise, also a junior, is contemplating a transfer"

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9407198/Sources:-USC's-Floyd-visiting-with-Arizona-AD?MSNHPHMA

It does seem like a strange lateral move.

dukeballer2294
04-02-2009, 12:54 AM
You bring up a good point about Renardo Sidney. I guarantee that he immediately withdraws his commitment to USC. He never signed a LOI. It's amazing how many top 10 players are uncommitted at this point in time.

Xavier Henry
John Wall
DeMarcus Cousins
Lance Stephenson
Renardo Sidney

Including Sidney, that's 5 of the top 7 players (according to Scout). Wow.

I know and as of last week they were akk suppose to have a team this week or sometime soon. COusins Henry and Sidney already commited Stephenson was suppose to announce tuesday and Wall was a so called "lock" for Memphis and was looking to announce at the Jordan game

Jim3k
04-02-2009, 01:35 AM
The Arizona Daily Star (http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/blogs/pascoe/14123), citing the Eugene Register-Guard, says that Arizona assistant, Mike Dunlap has taken a lateral transfer to Ernie Kent's Oregon Ducks. For big bucks, too. ($300,000 signing bonus plus $400,000 per annum on a 2-year contract.)

Dunlap was UofA temporary coach Russ Pennell's right hand. Dunlap is head coach material and could (still) be in someone's sights, though the UofO bucks make that unlikely.

sue71, esq
04-02-2009, 02:00 AM

The idea of Floyd leaving makes me very, very, very sad. However, IF Wojo or Collins were to come here, I might have to do cartwheels across campus.

The challenge, though, as mentioned above, would be to keep Gibson & Hackett, plus the recruits including Sydney. IF Floyd goes, AND there is a mass exodus, it'll be slim pickins here.

But again, as mentioned above, USC is a football school, at least by reputation. (I'm still sad we couldn't pull it out against Michigan State. :( )

That being said, Floyd's not gone yet. I hope he stays.

FireOgilvie
04-02-2009, 02:08 AM
The idea of Floyd leaving makes me very, very, very sad. However, IF Wojo or Collins were to come here, I might have to do cartwheels across campus.

The challenge, though, as mentioned above, would be to keep Gibson & Hackett, plus the recruits including Sydney. IF Floyd goes, AND there is a mass exodus, it'll be slim pickins here.

But again, as mentioned above, USC is a football school, at least by reputation. (I'm still sad we couldn't pull it out against Michigan State. :( )

That being said, Floyd's not gone yet. I hope he stays.

According to ESPN.com, Floyd is gone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4035206

SoCalDukeFan
04-02-2009, 10:31 AM
One reason why Floyd might leave is possible sanctions at USC over OJ Mayo et al. His perceived value is higher before the sanctions.

If he does go then I suspect USC will seek someone with HC experience. If you want to consider a former Duke player then I would think Quin Snyder would be on the list before any current assistant.

Randy Bennett of St. Mary's is a very logical choice for them.

SoCal

dcarp23
04-02-2009, 10:57 AM
And then there's this scoop: http://www.wmctv.com/global/story.asp?s=10117238

sue71, esq
04-02-2009, 11:00 AM

Wow on both fronts. I'm surprised.

Also, I happen to like Knight as an analyst and hope he sticks with ESPN.

BD80
04-02-2009, 11:04 AM

Which? That Pearl is interviewing or that Bobby Knight just interviewed?

Can you see Knight dealing with the recruits that are expecting the special Fed Ex deliveries? With the boosters that expect special access to the program? With Worldwide Wes?

Snort.

Lavabe
04-02-2009, 04:34 PM
And the AJC/UGA SID floats another couple of names, from the ACC:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2009/04/02/uga_coaches.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

Haith and Purnell.:eek:

And the wheels on the bus go round and round...

At what point does the bus crash?:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

Indoor66
04-02-2009, 04:42 PM
And the AJC/UGA SID floats another couple of names, from the ACC:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/2009/04/02/uga_coaches.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

Haith and Purnell.:eek:

And the wheels on the bus go round and round...

At what point does the bus crash?:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

Possibly a furor over the salaries (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,512227,00.html)?

Lavabe
04-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Possibly a furor over the salaries (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,512227,00.html)?

What do you mean, "POSSIBLY?";)

Good link. Sorry Arkie, but I really wish they had gone with Pelphrey.:D

BlueintheFace
04-02-2009, 06:22 PM
CBSsports says:

A) Floyd turned down Arizona and spurned heavy interest from Memphis

B) Memphis is definitely targeting Bruce Pearl now

sue71, esq
04-02-2009, 06:40 PM
CBSsports says:

A) Floyd turned down Arizona and spurned heavy interest from Memphis

B) Memphis is definitely targeting Bruce Pearl now

Floyd is staying. :D:D:D:D

Article (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-usc-basketball-floyd3-2009apr03,0,7268957.story)

Note that he spoke to Memphis, too.

weezie
04-02-2009, 09:21 PM
So, back to offering Capel at AZ? Or is that box of eggs shattered now?
Geez, that AZ AD Livengood is a dope...who would want to work for him?

dukemsu
04-02-2009, 09:46 PM
If you're into seeing other people's misery, check out the Arizona boards. They can't give that job away. Everyone other than Santa Claus has turned the job down.

Hard to believe the condition that program is in right now.

dukemsu

Newton_14
04-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Gets Paid!

Gotta love how this process works. To "Just Say No" ol Bruce gets a new 6 year deal from UT....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4037958

sue71, esq
04-02-2009, 09:57 PM
If you're into seeing other people's misery, check out the Arizona boards. They can't give that job away. Everyone other than Santa Claus has turned the job down.

dukemsu

Gets Paid!

Gotta love how this process works. To "Just Say No" ol Bruce gets a new 6 year deal from UT....

Wow. You really can't give that job away. I think Reggie Theus might be the next candidate. After that, it might be my cat.

BlueintheFace
04-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Gets Paid!

If I am a coach, I am hoping a thousand schools call me about jobs every off season. What a sweet deal.

grossbus
04-02-2009, 10:36 PM
"If I am a coach, I am hoping a thousand schools call me about jobs every off season. What a sweet deal."

i think you gotta be a coach with some success to get the reaction you want.

ArkieDukie
04-02-2009, 10:48 PM

dukemsu

Maybe they could get Matt Doherty. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

ArkieDukie
04-02-2009, 10:51 PM
What do you mean, "POSSIBLY?";)

Good link. Sorry Arkie, but I really wish they had gone with Pelphrey.:D

I think the Hogs' record this season kept Kentucky's interest in Pelphrey down. I'm a bit surprised they didn't look more seriously at Travis Ford, though. OK St had a decent season.

tbyers11
04-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Gary Parrish says that Nevada's Mark Fox (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11583382) will be the new coach at Georgia.

Not exactly the big flashy hire that Georgia wanted, but at least they have a coach unlike some Pac-10 teams, cough...Arizona...cough, that I could mention.

BlueintheFace
04-03-2009, 12:10 AM
Gary Parrish says that Nevada's Mark Fox (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/11583382) will be the new coach at Georgia.

Not exactly the big flashy hire that Georgia wanted, but at least they have a coach unlike some Pac-10 teams, cough...Arizona...cough, that I could mention.

The new Arizona coach is sly....

burnspbesq
04-03-2009, 03:42 AM
Fox's move to Georgia, after Trent Johnson went from Nevada to Stanford to LSU, puts Nevada almost in Western Kentucky's league as a primo first head coaching job that is a stepping stone to the bigs. Yo, Woj, you getting this?

Jim Livengood, the Zona AD, is an idiot. He's not going to get a big-name coach, because the program is in a shambles. He could get a solid coach like Randy Bennett (St. Mary's), Bill Grier (USD), or Stew Morrill (Utah State), or maybe even Dana Altman from Creighton, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ... Wazzu will get one of those guys, Budinger and Hill will declare for the draft, all of Zona's recruits will de-commit, and they will go 3-15 in the Pac-10 next year. And there will be much rejoicing throughout the land.

ArkieDukie
04-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Fox's move to Georgia, after Trent Johnson went from Nevada to Stanford to LSU, puts Nevada almost in Western Kentucky's league as a primo first head coaching job that is a stepping stone to the bigs. Yo, Woj, you getting this?

Jim Livengood, the Zona AD, is an idiot. He's not going to get a big-name coach, because the program is in a shambles. He could get a solid coach like Randy Bennett (St. Mary's), Bill Grier (USD), or Stew Morrill (Utah State), or maybe even Dana Altman from Creighton, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ... Wazzu will get one of those guys, Budinger and Hill will declare for the draft, all of Zona's recruits will de-commit, and they will go 3-15 in the Pac-10 next year. And there will be much rejoicing throughout the land.

Dana Altman isn't going anywhere. Just ask Arkansas. (He was coach there for maybe a day and decided to go back to Creighton. Arkansas ultimately hired John Pelphrey.)

CameronBornAndBred
04-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Floyd is staying.

Article (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-usc-basketball-floyd3-2009apr03,0,7268957.story)

Note that he spoke to Memphis, too.
I knew you'd be happy :). Still, strange to see him even ponder moving within the conference. Wonder if Az. will look at anybody on K's bench.

sue71, esq
04-03-2009, 10:50 AM
I knew you'd be happy :). Still, strange to see him even ponder moving within the conference. Wonder if Az. will look at anybody on K's bench.

I heard Reggie Theus might be their next target, but who knows. Yes, yes an "I heard" but I actually read it somewhere yesterday, but as it's 7:49am and I'm in bed, I don't remember where so I can't post a link. If I come across it today, I'll post it.

Again, who knows what they'll do at this point.

fisheyes
04-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Looks like Jeff is staying put....7 year extension.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/mens-tournament/04/03/capel/index.html

geraldsneighbor
04-03-2009, 12:31 PM
Looks like Jeff is staying put....7 year extension.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/mens-tournament/04/03/capel/index.html

For another year...contract extensions rarely mean that much.

BD80
04-03-2009, 01:04 PM
...Budinger and Hill will declare for the draft, all of Zona's recruits will de-commit, and they will go 3-15 in the Pac-10 next year. And there will be much rejoicing throughout the land.

Ummm, Nic Wise is also likely to leave to avoid the carnage, and Zona has no recruits. All of last year's recruits bailed, and none are coming this year. That is no freshman or sophomore class for the new coach. Any talent in the rising junior and senior classes is leaving.

I think 3-15 is quite optimistic. Depending on how many patsies they can schedule, Zona might have trouble winning three games all season. The season could be worse than Indiana's.

If the coaching search gets too bad, I wonder if Lute tries to make a comeback?

Kewlswim
04-03-2009, 03:06 PM

Hi,

Silly me, Arizona always makes the tournament.

GO DUKE!

mgtr
04-03-2009, 03:11 PM
If the coaching search gets too bad, I wonder if Lute tries to make a comeback?

I think that may be the 800 pound gorilla which keeps some coaches away.

slower
04-03-2009, 04:16 PM
Can you see Knight dealing with the recruits that are expecting the special Fed Ex deliveries? With the boosters that expect special access to the program? With Worldwide Wes?

Snort.

Please, God. This HAS to happen! It would be the greatest theater ever.

BlueintheFace
04-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Arizona and Seth Greenberg.... oh my. Hokies seem to think it is going down.

FireOgilvie
04-03-2009, 09:17 PM

That would be a huge mistake for Arizona. I know they can do better than that.

sue71, esq
04-04-2009, 12:05 AM

Here's a blog from azcentral.com (http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaolaBoivin/50014) - the writer's not in love with the idea of Greenberg. Also rules out Seth Miller & Lon Kruger. But... we know how accurate the AZ media has been so far.

Edit: 1988 ACC Champs!

BD80
04-04-2009, 10:05 AM

A coach as snakebitten as Seth moving to the desert?

Why, that's ... BRILLIANT!!

Lute must be on the selection committe. He is protecting his legacy.

Cormac
04-05-2009, 10:08 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4043820

Please Sean, say it aint so!! I really, really hope he stays at X. My alma mater really needs him! I was hoping he would be the Mark Few of the midwest. Supposedly he loves the area and the university, but money is money, so we shall see. X just cannot win a bidding war with Zona. Ugh.

dukeballer2294
04-06-2009, 12:57 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4043820

Please Sean, say it aint so!! I really, really hope he stays at X. My alma mater really needs him! I was hoping he would be the Mark Few of the midwest. Supposedly he loves the area and the university, but money is money, so we shall see. X just cannot win a bidding war with Zona. Ugh.

Xavier did say they were willing to match Arizona's offer if they do offer, but to what extent would be the question.

dukeballer2294
04-06-2009, 01:42 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4045199

Report has it that Miller declined. Wow this has been one of the most premier jobs in all of college basketball in the last decade or so and it unbelievable what is happening. I do not think they are in the top tier of college programs but they are in at least the second or third. Indiana got Crean even though they were on pace to a horrific season, its astonishing that Arizona cannot get anybody. Their interim, Russ Prennil, might be forced to take the job. I am pretty sure they are on their 4th option.
1 Capel
2 Floyd
3 Miller

Cormac
04-06-2009, 07:26 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4045199

Report has it that Miller declined. Wow this has been one of the most premier jobs in all of college basketball in the last decade or so and it unbelievable what is happening. I do not think they are in the top tier of college programs but they are in at least the second or third. Indiana got Crean even though they were on pace to a horrific season, its astonishing that Arizona cannot get anybody. Their interim, Russ Prennil, might be forced to take the job. I am pretty sure they are on their 4th option.
1 Capel
2 Floyd
3 Miller

And there was much rejoicing! Miller may just be the guy who is willing to stay at X and keep it rolling. But if Pitt ever opens up and they come calling, I think that would be hard for him to turn down.

BD80
04-06-2009, 12:03 PM
Arizona's AD Livengood is single-handedly raising the average coaching salary with each phone call he makes. How many D1 coaches are there? So far several have received big bucks for talking to or just being mentioned in association with UA. A few more calls, with each coach getting a $500,000 / yr raise when contacted (Zona is said to be offering $2 mil plus), the average coaching salary could rise by over $50,000 this year.

flyingdutchdevil
04-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Is Zona becoming the new NCSU? How many coaches did NCSU ask before settling on Lowe? Was it 5? 6?

geraldsneighbor
04-06-2009, 01:10 PM
And there was much rejoicing! Miller may just be the guy who is willing to stay at X and keep it rolling. But if Pitt ever opens up and they come calling, I think that would be hard for him to turn down.

Apparently not. Yahoo Sports is reporting Miller has accepted the deal to become Arizona's next Head Coach.

Cormac
04-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Apparently not. Yahoo Sports is reporting Miller has accepted the deal to become Arizona's next Head Coach.

Ahhh crap!!

I hope its not true, but if it is I guess its not that much of a surprise. Although, I'm not sure he's inheriting much at Zona considering no one has been recruiting the last three years and their best players may (probably?) jump to the Association. One day my alma mater won't be a stepping stone for a bigger gig, one day. A boy can dream right?

BD80
04-06-2009, 01:24 PM

So he did a reverse Cremins with a half twist?

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9423060/Miller-changes-mind,-will-leave-Xavier-for-Arizona

How about Chris Collins at Xavier?

Cormac
04-06-2009, 01:40 PM
So he did a reverse Cremins with a half twist?

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9423060/Miller-changes-mind,-will-leave-Xavier-for-Arizona

How about Chris Collins at Xavier?

I would love it, but I don't know if Xavier can get a high profile assistant to take the gig. Miller was an assistant under Matta, so they may promote from within. But I think most of his assistants are fairly young guys (not that Miller is exactly old) so who knows. X will have some talent next year, although they do lose Raymond and CJ Anderson. Everyone else can be back (if Derrick Brown stays out of the draft) and the Crawford kid that played as a freshman at Indiana will be eligible. So the cupboard isn't bare and won't require rebuilding right away. Hopefully that attracts some good candidates. As for Miller, X paid him 800k/year and Zona is giving him 2mil per for 7 years. Hard to fault the guy, but I really, really wish he would have stayed. Great coach and a good recruiter.

geraldsneighbor
04-06-2009, 01:59 PM
I would love it, but I don't know if Xavier can get a high profile assistant to take the gig. Miller was an assistant under Matta, so they may promote from within. But I think most of his assistants are fairly young guys (not that Miller is exactly old) so who knows. X will have some talent next year, although they do lose Raymond and CJ Anderson. Everyone else can be back (if Derrick Brown stays out of the draft) and the Crawford kid that played as a freshman at Indiana will be eligible. So the cupboard isn't bare and won't require rebuilding right away. Hopefully that attracts some good candidates. As for Miller, X paid him 800k/year and Zona is giving him 2mil per for 7 years. Hard to fault the guy, but I really, really wish he would have stayed. Great coach and a good recruiter.

I agree, but Xavier has made the right moves in the past. I wouldn't be too concerned. They have a great arena and following that has elevated them into the high-major category. I think whoever they'll bring in will be able to keep things rolling but I'm not sure they can do it to the success that Miller had. I followed their big man Jason Love throughout his career at Abington Friends outside of Philly and really pull for Xavier because of that and there great fans I have met. Best of Luck Xavier.

Greg_Newton
04-06-2009, 05:41 PM
A CBSsports.com "Breaking News" banner is reading that Josh Pastner has accepted the head coaching job at Memphis (reports Gary Parrish). Can't find any full articles to link to yet, but it sounds legit.

geraldsneighbor
04-06-2009, 06:00 PM
A CBSsports.com "Breaking News" banner is reading that Josh Pastner has accepted the head coaching job at Memphis (reports Gary Parrish). Can't find any full articles to link to yet, but it sounds legit.

Who?

Duvall
04-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Who?

Former Arizona walk-on/scrub/assistant turned Calipari assistant with extensive AAU connections, including his father.

fisheyes
04-06-2009, 07:10 PM
Who?

Here's the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4047664

Newton_14
04-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Here's the link: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4047664

That is a heck of a risk. Big Big Risk. If this backfires they could go from the penthouse to the outhouse really quick. I am stunned. Even if the thinking is they keep some of the current players and recruits, it is still a huge risk. 31 years old?

Very surprising..

geraldsneighbor
04-06-2009, 07:56 PM
That is a heck of a risk. Big Big Risk. If this backfires they could go from the penthouse to the outhouse really quick. I am stunned. Even if the thinking is they keep some of the current players and recruits, it is still a huge risk. 31 years old?

Very surprising..

The Josh McDaniels of NCAA Basketball coaches. Just Kidding. I can't believe that they didn't have other options out there. I am completely stunned.

Newton_14
04-06-2009, 08:03 PM
The Josh McDaniels of NCAA Basketball coaches. Just Kidding. I can't believe that they didn't have other options out there. I am completely stunned.

On another note, what happened with Sean Miller? This morning I read where he turned Arizona down, and this afternoon I heard on the radio he took the job. What happened there?

Memphis Devil
04-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I really don't understand why Memphis didn't talk to Andy Kennedy of Ole Miss. If you think AZ is creating its own coaching stimulus package, check out what RC Johnson and Memphis have done. I am certainly not surpised to see them unable to land a big name, but Pastner? No head coaching experience and only one year as an assistant to Cal!?

I guess the reality of trying to replicate what Cal did and having to live with a delusional fan base that believes their team is one of the best programs in the country was more than enough for many to turn down the opportunity. But, Josh Pastner? Wow!

geraldsneighbor
04-06-2009, 08:31 PM
I really don't understand why Memphis didn't talk to Andy Kennedy of Ole Miss. If you think AZ is creating its own coaching stimulus package, check out what RC Johnson and Memphis have done. I am certainly not surpised to see them unable to land a big name, but Pastner? No head coaching experience and only one year as an assistant to Cal!?

I guess the reality of trying to replicate what Cal did and having to live with a delusional fan base that believes their team is one of the best programs in the country was more than enough for many to turn down the opportunity. But, Josh Pastner? Wow!

I respectfully disagree. What has Andy Kennedy done? He really hasn't done anything there and has gotten in trouble there to boot. Unless he has a history in the Memphis area I don't see that being a better hire.

CameronBornAndBred
04-06-2009, 10:50 PM
I know as much about Pastner as anybody, which equals squat. There are a couple things that make sense about the decision thought. One, it will give Memphis some semblance of conitinuity, which the team needs, and two, apparently he is an impressive recruiter, which the program will desperately need. Plus I like seeing schools take chances on young coaches, it worked out well for us. I don't think K was our bottom of the barrel choice as it appears is the situation with Memphis, but it might work out for them in the long run.

Duvall
04-06-2009, 11:57 PM
I respectfully disagree. What has Andy Kennedy done? He really hasn't done anything there and has gotten in trouble there to boot. Unless he has a history in the Memphis area I don't see that being a better hire.

Yeah, I'm not sure the bigoted alcoholic theme would play well at Memphis State. Maybe it would.

BD80
04-07-2009, 01:23 AM
Pastner has been considered a future head coach since his playing (sitting?) days at Az. He is considered very bright, aggressive and a GREAT recruiter. It is interesting that Memphis pulled the trigger to hire him when there was a LOT of boosters that wanted Josh at Az. I think there was some fallout between Lute and Josh, and Lute guided the search away from Josh (just speculation on my part).

Memphis will be a good spot for Josh. Open recruiting, easy schedule for him to build confidence and a solid record. He may have trouble in the tourney for a few years.

This hire will really hurt UK's recruiting. I wonder how it will impact John Wall's decision?

fisheyes
04-09-2009, 06:15 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4056533

geraldsneighbor
04-09-2009, 06:25 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4056533

At least he will be the man having to deal with the sanctions that most likely lie ahead and not the successor.

-jk
04-09-2009, 06:26 PM
I think Calhoun probably stays a little longer. But I give about as much credence to coaches staying as players.

It's always a personal thing, and things change. cf. Dean E. Smith, suddenly retiring on October, a week before practice started:

My only guilt, if there is such a word, as I said, is some team, some day would be my last team, and so, yes, there's guilt, and I look in their faces, and I just couldn't handle that yesterday, and I couldn't if I turned right now, but I still believe it's best for them, unless I could give them what I want, but I'm going to work for them. (linky (http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/sports/july-dec97/dean_10-9.html))

Sometimes it just hits you that it's time. I hope K's time is a long ways away, and he doesn't feel too much pressure to be the best, but feels that he's doing his best.

-jk

Jim3k
04-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Pastner has been considered a future head coach since his playing (sitting?) days at Az. He is considered very bright, aggressive and a GREAT recruiter. It is interesting that Memphis pulled the trigger to hire him when there was a LOT of boosters that wanted Josh at Az.

And a lot of boosters thought he was a. trouble; b. a basketball lightweight; and c. too full of himself to be a good teacher.

I was certainly not in his camp.

I think there was some fallout between Lute and Josh, and Lute guided the search away from Josh (just speculation on my part).

I can confirm that, to the extent it is confirmable.

Memphis will be a good spot for Josh. Open recruiting, easy schedule for him to build confidence and a solid record. He may have trouble in the tourney for a few years.

This hire will really hurt UK's recruiting. I wonder how it will impact John Wall's decision?

Those predictions warrant a clear 'wait and see,' as far as I can tell.

DUKIE V(A)
04-10-2009, 09:05 AM
Andy Kennedy does not seem like too nice of a guy...Wouldn't even give my three and five year old sons (at the time) a high five after a victory in a holiday tournamnet played in San Juan, PR. My kids and I were amongst a crowd of only 6 people. Everyone else appparently saw my kids because they were willing to give them some love (even the Clemson Tigers who lost a tight game and had reason to be in a bad mood). His antics of the sidelines and negative treatment of players during the game were equally unimpressive.

Also, I do not remember the exact percentage of Mississippi players who were actually recruited there and stayed from the beginning but I recall it being something like only 3 or maybe 4. The rest were JUCO and Division I transfers. I am not sure this is the best way for major college teams to build. Sure bring in a few transfers every now and again, but this reminded me of the shady high school programs that turn over their rosters every season or so. In fairness, I guess if he got a bigger name job he may not have to do this and perhaps he needed to clean house when he got in but still...I was not impressed.

blueprofessor
04-10-2009, 03:10 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090410/COLUMNIST0202/904100365

A unique clause that provides releases upon request for Memphis commitments!

Best--Blueprofessor :)