PDA

View Full Version : Wish List for Next Year

TriGuy
03-27-2009, 01:43 PM
What are the one or two changes you think would help us the most next year?

Me? I'd like to see Kyle do a Jay Bilas and spend the summer in the weight room. I think he's the most complete player we'll have, but he looks so frail next to some of the big bodies he plays against. A gain of 15-20 pounds of muscle will give the team a shot at a go-to player down low. He'd be able to play with the 4s and still have the shooting stroke of a 2 or 3 . . . can you say 1st team All America?

Old timers will remember what I'm talking about . . . recall the huge difference in Jay Bilas' game between junior and senior years. And Kyle has much more game than Jay to begin with.

Just my $0.02 worth . . .

CDu
03-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm not too concerned with Singler. I'd put the development of Williams and Smith and the development of our post guys as bigger wishes.

BlueintheFace
03-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Billy Donovan takes the job at Kentucky, Florida releases Kenny Boynton, and KB comes to Duke

Classof06
03-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Solid production from Kelly, MP1, MP2 and Zoubek.

IMO, assuming Henderson and Singler return, that's all Duke needs to make a serious run next season.

It's hard to rely on freshman like that, but in a perfect world, Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly provide the frontline production we've been missing for a while now.

geraldsneighbor
03-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Billy Donovan takes the job at Kentucky, Florida releases Kenny Boynton, and KB comes to Duke

Word.

I would like Nolan to continue to develop. Elliot polish his jump shot and become a left handed G. Zoubek stay healthy for a summer and get his foot work together.

Ian
03-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Everyone needs to get stronger.

And the guards need to develop their handles, specifically, the ability to change directions and cross over. Against other athletic defenders, that is the only way to consistently get into the lane. Nobody on this team can do this. Which is why against Nova we were reduced to shooting jumpshots with a hand in the face.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Solid production from Kelly, MP1, MP2 and Zoubek.

IMO, assuming Henderson and Singler return, that's all Duke needs to make a serious run next season.

It's hard to rely on freshman like that, but in a perfect world, Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly provide the frontline production we've been missing for a while now.

We would still be likely to lose again next year against the same Nova team with Singler and Henderson 1 year older/improved. They aren't going to help create or stop any more dribble penetration - that would be our guards. We have to have someone who can create for themselves besides Henderson against elite athletes (when the other team knows he's the only threat to drive in on you, it makes it extremely tough to operate)... I agree the development of Williams and Smith this summer is bigger.

jv001
03-27-2009, 01:58 PM
Kyle was much stronger this year over last year. I would like to see Elliot, Nolan and Jon get stronger as well. Against Nova and Clemson we just got bumped around and that disrupted our offensive flow. How games are called meant alot to this squad. The ACC refs tend to call more of the bumps, but in the NCAAs that's not so. So our guards being stronger would help. Next I would like to see us use a different offense than the one we use now. It creates too much standing around. A good quick point guard would help in that regard. Can't wait till next year. Man that's a long time off. Go Duke!

NYDukie
03-27-2009, 02:02 PM
With G being the wildcard, I will make my wish list on who we know will be around:

1. Elliot to develop a respectable jumpshot. Once that is there for him, along with a his growing confidence, I can see him being similar to G.

2. For each and every player to gain a minimum of 10lbs extra muscle on them. I know they play hard but let's face it, when you look at them compared to some other teams, it looks like the JV verse the varsity. Even my wife comments on how young the teams looks compared to other teams they face. And she isn't commenting on their facial hair but rathe their builds...LOL

3. And for Coach K to let Kelly and teh Plumlee brothers develop through some trial and error. I find myself feeling weird even suggesting what a all time great Hall of Fame coach should consider doing but I just feel if by trying to develop some of the younger players earlier in the year at the sacrifice of potentially losing a game or two, it would balance itself out later in the year when they can contribute to the team with a win they may normally not get based on this pattern. Perfect example is Elliot. Though it was by necessity, it proved vital to the team the last 10 games or so prior to Nova.

CDu
03-27-2009, 02:03 PM

From what I've read about Plumlee and Kelly, they are perimeter-oriented big guys. If that's correct, I'm not sure they will be providing the frontline production we're looking for. But they could certainly provide some offensive depth.

If anyone has a better idea of this, feel free to correct me. But that's the impression I've gotten.

davekay1971
03-27-2009, 02:14 PM
1) That G takes a good long look at the rafters in Cameron and says to himself, "I ain't leavin' tell my number's up there".

2) That Scheyer, G, Nolan, and Elliot become the kind of terrifying, pick your poison, perimeter attack that we know they can be.

3) That Singler replaces Christian Laetter as the Dukie that everyone hates, because he coldheartedly killed their dreams with one backbreaking play after another.

4) That Zoubs looks in the mirror and says, "I'm 7-1, and I ain't skinny. That lane is mine"

5) That Plumlee, Plumlee, and Kelly show us why the next three years will showcase the best Duke frontcourt we've ever seen in Coach K's tenure.

6) That Calhoun, in a desperate attempt to save his hide, rolls and tells the NCAA that Roy Williams taught him everything he knows about circumventing those pesky NCAA recruiting rules.

OldSchool
03-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Someone introduces Zoubs to the squat rack and a copy of "The Vertical Jump Bible" and Z gains 6" on his hops.

The Jump Shot Fairy leaves a copy of JJ's "Better Basketball" dvd under E-Will's pillow.

Kfanarmy
03-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Perhaps Seth Curry?

CDu
03-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Perhaps Seth Curry?

Even if we did get Curry (and I figure that's a longshot), he wouldn't be a part of next year's team. He'd be sitting out for the year as required by the NCAA for D-1 transfers. I guess it can still be a wish, but it won't do much for next year's team.

Rudy
03-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Someone introduces Zoubs to the squat rack and a copy of "The Vertical Jump Bible" and Z gains 6" on his hops.

The Jump Shot Fairy leaves a copy of JJ's "Better Basketball" dvd under E-Will's pillow.

:) And Z learns how to dunk. The team needs more offensive production and more rebounding from him. He improved defensively this year and he was not expected to look for his own shot, so it's hard to criticize him. But his pass out to Jon when he received the ball 6 feet from the basket was a perfect example of his game this year and an example of what needs to change. He should take such a pass and go strong to the hoop, either scoring and/or getting fouled in the process.

I wish Nolan improves his game over the summer the same amount he did last summer, particularly looking to play point with more assurance.

EWill, obviously needs a leap forward, too, especially FT's and 3 pt. %.

With the five starters in the last several games, our point guard had a season average of 2.7 assists per game (not in the top 10 in the ACC). our shooting guard had a season 3 pt. shooting average of 26% and our center (Taylor Zoubek--i.e. combining their totals) had 7.2 rebounds per game (would have put him 12th on the ACC leader list). Considering that production from key spots, it's amazing the team did as well as it did.

Yeah, Jon wasn't at point the whole year, but combine Nolan and Greg's assists per game number and you still get just 3.4, tied for 8th on the ACC list. I watched the post-game presser with Coach K this morning and he made the point that they really needed more out of the front court and point. He said they almost got help there the last two years until the last minute, reference to PP I suppose and maybe Monroe too. He was happy with the effort of the guys this year, the pressing too much to make shots following a string of missed shots "coming from a good place" i.e. the desire to excel.

Some great team basketball from the guys this year and after the mid season slump they seemed to improve with each outing until the end.

See ya next season!

whereinthehellami
03-27-2009, 03:13 PM
We would still be likely to lose again next year against the same Nova team with Singler and Henderson 1 year older/improved. They aren't going to help create or stop any more dribble penetration - that would be our guards. We have to have someone who can create for themselves besides Henderson against elite athletes (when the other team knows he's the only threat to drive in on you, it makes it extremely tough to operate)... I agree the development of Williams and Smith this summer is bigger.

Nova loses Clark, Anderson, and Cunningham next year. Their whole frontcourt. So even without Henderson, I think Duke could take them next year. Those 3 had 29 points and 23 rebounds last night.

whereinthehellami
03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm hoping that Lance can become an Antonio Lang, clean up on the boards and be in poistion to dunk on putbacks and dumpoffs.

I'm hoping that one of the big guys can develop dependable hands, positioning, and finishing ability, so that guys like Singler can use their adroit passing ability to get some easy points down low.

jimsumner
03-27-2009, 03:23 PM
"recall the huge difference in Jay Bilas' game between junior and senior years."

Yes, I recall. Jay had knee surgery before his senior year, didn't regain his starting spot until mid-season and saw a significant drop-off in scoring and rebounding.

Jay bulked up past what his body could support because he knew he was going to be Duke's 5.

Kyle is not going to be Duke's 5. He doesn't need to be 250.

CDu
03-27-2009, 03:27 PM
I'm hoping that Lance can become an Antonio Lang, clean up on the boards and be in poistion to dunk on putbacks and dumpoffs.

I'm hoping that one of the big guys can develop dependable hands, positioning, and finishing ability, so that guys like Singler can use their adroit passing ability to get some easy points down low.

I know it's potentially asking for trouble, but I do have high hopes for our frontcourt next year. We'll have a senior in Thomas, who has shown substantive improvement this year. Hopefully he'll continue to progress a bit and be a productive role player next year. We'll have a senior in Zoubek who will be hopefully experiencng his first healthy off-season at Duke. Hopefully he can develop some lower-body strength and better balance and footwork and take advantage of his tremendous gifts to be a more consistent post presence. And we'll have three youngsters in the 6'9"-6'11" range. Hopefully at least one (if not more) will be able to contribute solid minutes in the post next year (and maybe even a bit of offense).

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-27-2009, 03:37 PM
1) John Wall comes to Duke with a great attitude and praises Duke as a place where he was comfortable and happy. He credits K and the staff (specifically mentioning Nate and C-Well) for helping him grow up and become a man. With that endorsement the anti-Duke perception takes a major hit among poorer African-American kids. Like Brand did for us a decade ago, Wall makes Duke cool again.

2) Our 3 man NC class opens up an in-state pipeline for years to come.

3) Plumlee puts it together on D and becomes a shotblocking presence in the post, allowing Kyle and Lance the opportunity to drift out and create mismatches. Kelly uses this to make himself into the new Dunleavy. Nolan's D brings tears to Billy King's eyes.

4) UNC's class bombs spectacularly, leaving the ACC wide open for Duke and IC calling for Roy's head. Czyz throws down 25 in the second half of each game with a series of monster dunks, in because Duke has an overwhelming lead at the half.

5) Our senior class, set up by Wall's dynamic drives and pinpoint passes, is finally able to play to their strengths. Z gets the ball in scoring position for easy baskets, Jon plays off his creative PG beautifully, and G's highlight's lead SC every game. Duke rolls to the Final Four and K's fourth title with swagger and toughness. The state of North Carolina designates the first Monday in April as "Krzyzewski Day", a statewide holiday in honor of the greatest coach in NC history.

I don't ask for much. :D

Greg_Newton
03-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Apologies in advance for the essay-type post and feel free to skip it, I've just been thinking about this since last night.

I'm glad someone started this thread - off-season improvements are something positive to ponder after last night. Anyone remember when Kyle was so weak he wore down come tourney time, when G was a one-dimensional dunker, when Lance Thomas was a scrawny combo forward who only played below the rim? Me either. Here's what I would most like to see everyone work on, starting with those who's progress will be most interesting to me.

G - I'm torn on whether I think he should stay or go, if I try to be objective. If he really is a top-10 pick, I can't fault him for leaving one year early. However, given his inconsistency and ballhandling issues, I could see him slipping to mid-late first round. In that scenario, IMO it would be best for him to come back on work on ballhandling, ballhandling, ballhandling (and win a NC!). He seems to have to think about his dribbling, which often makes his moves less effective and more cautious than they could be. If he can improve his handle to the point where he can get wherever he wants to and develop the Jason Williams type of get-into-the-lane-no-matter-what relentlessness (that another poster described in a previous thread), he's a 20+ ppg 1st-team AA and a lock for a top 5-10 pick.

Elliot - Shooting, shooting, shooting. Namely FTs and 3's. Secondary concern is ballhandling. From flashes earlier this year, I thought his strength was going to be his explosive scoring. Then he proved that he is able to be a major contributor on defense and rebounding alone. If he can learn to hit the open shot and get to the rim with both hands, he becomes a major offensive threat with his athleticism. Plus he's got that killer instinct that you just gotta love.

Brian - perhaps the most potential for improvement. I could see him being the same player he was this year, or I could see him being a 20+ minute, 10-12 point, 8-10 board, 3 block a game, shot-altering force. If he can use his first injury-free offseason to simply learn basic footwork and learn how to stand straight up on defense (and learn what level of body contact constitutes a foul), then all of a sudden you've got a broad-shouldered 7-1, 280 lb hulk that quite honestly moves pretty well for his frame (when he's not leaning on offensive players). He's shown flashes of potential that often ended in fouling sprees... he could be a major, major weapon for us if he can learn to play within himself for long stretches. I mean 7-1, 280lb, virtually no body fat... let's just say this last game was encouraging for HIM, at least.

Lance - muscle and vertical. He is MUCH stronger than he was last year, and if he can add a comparable amount of muscle this summer (and reach 235-240) along with an inch or two to his vert (and a healthy ankle), he becomes a true, physically punishing, hard-finishing POWER forward. Add a couple power post moves to that and he's our Jeff Adrien.

Kyle - I'm excited to just sit back and watch what direction he takes, because it sounds like he already has his own plan for improvement. Just think - this will be only his SECOND offseason here, and he's already very good at everything. He can now become GREAT at any number of things. Does he continue to add weight, work on his drop step, and add 'dominant post scorer' to his arsenal? Fifteen more lbs and he's a jacked 6-8, 250 lbs. Or does he work his handle and midrange game, become an Adam Morrison type of unguardable big wing? Become a Kyle Korver-type 3pt shooter, but with an all around game? Should be fun to watch.

Nolan - Like Kyle, he has no glaring weaknesses, but could improve on a lot of things. 3pt shot, midrange game, explosiveness drills, adding muscle for finishing... anything that helps him as a slasher is great. I say ditch the PG drills and let him grow into the dynamic weapon he can be. He's showed huge promise lately.

Jon - Let's not let this last game erase the memory of how outstanding he played in EVERY OTHER GAME post-midseason-switch to PG, a completely new position. I think people are jumping ship a little too early on him for next year... getting a Bledsoe/Wall would be awesome for a change of pace guy, but give Scheyer an entire offseason to work on being a point guard (rather than the 3 practices before the St John's game), and he becomes that much better. He could also use some muscle, as evidenced by last night.

Plumlees - Need major muscle and some beginnings of back-to-the-basket games before they can really contribute. From what I've seen Mason will be further along than Miles was coming in, but I really have no idea what to expect from either. They could be a big-time tandem for us during the next three years, or they could be Casey Sanders-ish energetic shot-blockers that only see sporadic minutes. Here's hoping for the former.

Ryan Kelly - I'm actually very excited about this kid. He's gangly as all heck, moves super herky-jerky and awkward, doesn't look like a basketball player whatsoever, but boy, can he flat out PLAY. I'm not sure what role he'll have next year, but I guarantee he will not be a bust when all is said and done. The most exciting clip I've seen of the 6-10 Kelly is when he spun off a guard 30 feet from the basket, froze another guard with a stutter-step-behind the back-dribble at the 3pt line, crossed over another guy into the lane and hit an open teammate with a no-look pass for a layup. He's not a post player, but he's sure a player.

Olek - I think it might be 2010-2011 before we see much out of him, but just keep faith in the long term plan you had coming in! Next year will only be year five or six of basketball, right? Add a little ballhandling and court sense you're right on track to be the explosive wing we hoped you'd be by Junior year. Keep up the hard work.

I also agree that as a team we need to bulk up and get stronger, which we will. Best of luck to Greg, Dave and Marty, and here's looking forward to next year! Go Duke!

jma4life
03-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Seconding the call for Zoubek to get the VJB and hit the squat rack.

TriGuy
03-27-2009, 05:34 PM
"recall the huge difference in Jay Bilas' game between junior and senior years."

Yes, I recall. Jay had knee surgery before his senior year, didn't regain his starting spot until mid-season and saw a significant drop-off in scoring and rebounding.

Jay bulked up past what his body could support because he knew he was going to be Duke's 5.

Kyle is not going to be Duke's 5. He doesn't need to be 250.

Hmmm . . . not quite what I remember, but age DOES tend to affect one's memory.

I recall that most of the weight training was prompted by rehabing after the knee surgery (i.e., the knee went out BEFORE the bulking) and that Jay was held out from starting for about a half-dozen games as a precaution. His vertical ability was indeed affected by the knee (not as many rebounds or blocks), but he gained a good deal of width that enabled him to mix it up more with the bigger guys . . . he had more "presence".

I clearly remember a sportswriter making some comment before the regional finals in '86 that Duke would need 5 Bilases and a good night to beat Navy's David Robinson . . . seems only one Jay was needed after all . . .

I agree Singler isn't going to or doesn't need to be Duke's 5 (whether K has EVER has a true consistent 5 starter, except for The Chief, is another debate). But Kyle at 250 would stay stronger through the game and through the season and be an outstanding true 4. With his existing skill set, a wider body, and two more years, he has the potential to be one of the jerseys hanging at Cameron.

Again, just my $0.02 worth. I may be wrong (and often am :D), but that's how I eventually get to "right".

quickgtp
03-27-2009, 06:04 PM
1) That G returns.

2) That we land Eric Bledsoe (he gets his ACT scores up!)

3) That MP2 comes in and fills the void at the 5 and MP1 gets better and then we have a sort of "Lopez Brothers" theme in the paint.

4) That Ryan Kelly comes in ready to play, allowing Duke to go big at the 3 like we did when we had Dunleavy.

5) That Nolan works as hard as he did last summer and gets even better.

6) That Email develops a long-range jumper to go with his driving ability.

7) We actually play a litte zone, and maybe even a little 1-3-1 from time to time to throw off opponents.

Man, am I asking for too much!?!?!

jimsumner
03-27-2009, 08:56 PM
RE: Jay Bilas.

Jay came to Duke at about 215. In 1983 he mainly played the 4 and fellow freshman Mark Alarie the 5. But it was pretty fluid.

He bulked up to about 240 by 1985, his junior year. This was his best season, 10.1 ppg, 6.0 rpg.

He had knee surgery prior to his senior year. He played at about 225 that year. He missed the first six games and came off the bench (behind freshman Danny Ferry) until late January. He averaged 6.8 ppg and 4.9 rpg, the lowest totals of his career.

Again, Jay bulked up because, at 6'8", he was guarding centers like Brad Daugherty, Chris Washburn, Cozell McQueen, and Yvon Joseph. He wasn't going to get any taller so he had to get wider.

Singler is stronger this year than he was last year and presumably will be stronger next year. But he's a 4 and if Henderson goes pro may well spend extensive time at the 3 next season. With Thomas, Zoubek, Plumlee1, Plumlee2, and Kelly in the program next year, I sincerely hope and seriously doubt that Singler will be playing a lot of 5. Note that the graduation of McClure eliminates the dilemma of how to play both at the same time.

So, I don't think Duke needs Kyle to go all Arnie on us and bulk up past what his body can sustain. I value the mobility he currently has too much to risk losing it in a quest to achieve excessive bulk.

Devilsfan
03-27-2009, 09:59 PM
R Kelly and Plumlee 2 are not back to the basket players nor super athletic guards. That still leaves us without a fast point or a banger on the inside next year. Alabama, Kentucky are open and whoever fills those jobs may have some disgruntled recruits that fill our very evident voids, making us a national champion candidate rather than a very well coached sweet sixteen over achieving team again.

FireOgilvie
03-27-2009, 11:41 PM
Singler is stronger this year than he was last year and presumably will be stronger next year. But he's a 4 and if Henderson goes pro may well spend extensive time at the 3 next season. With Thomas, Zoubek, Plumlee1, Plumlee2, and Kelly in the program next year, I sincerely hope and seriously doubt that Singler will be playing a lot of 5. Note that the graduation of McClure eliminates the dilemma of how to play both at the same time.

So, I don't think Duke needs Kyle to go all Arnie on us and bulk up past what his body can sustain. I value the mobility he currently has too much to risk losing it in a quest to achieve excessive bulk.

I totally agree about Singler. He doesn't need to add significant bulk. He's going to play SF in the NBA, and he's already very strong. I'm not sure if there's one main thing Kyle needs to work on, but I think it's important that he doesn't lose any quickness.

eddiehaskell
03-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Elton Brand's long lost twin is found and quickly enrolled at Duke. :D

mapei
03-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Elton Brand's long lost twin is found and quickly enrolled at Duke. :D

Add Jason Williams and Shane Battier's twins, too. Whoever said that we needed to regain street cred among elite African-American kids and become cool again is spot on, IMO. Right now we're at a recruiting disadvantage for a significant number of elite prospects. That may be an oversimplification but there is also truth to it.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-28-2009, 01:03 AM
Here my Wish List, some are far fetched but you said wish so I could ask for Jesus to suit up and play for Duke for 4 years if I want.

1) Billy Donavan takes the Kentucky job, Kenny Boynton decides he doesn't like Florida W/O Billy and then he doesn't like Kentucky with Billy, so he comes to Duke.

2.) Plumlee 1 and 2 are better when they are together, and Coach K sees this, they dominate as a DUO and for stretches when needed we let them do it... That would be sweet
Plumlee 3 decides he wants to join in the fun and we get a Plumlee trifecta thats even more dominate.

3.) Zoubek and Thomas continue to improve and can provide offense and putbacks consistently. 10-15 points a game between them.

4.) Nolan Smith continues to drive and attack and improves point play to back up Boynton

5.) G returns and becomes Grant Hill esqe..er.... He dominates off the dribble.

6.) Kyle continues what he is doing a year older and without so much pressure to be our only inside threat

7.) Scheyer continues what he is doing, only a year older and plays as good as he did downt he stretch from the 2 spot.

8.) Ewill becomes the player G was this year.

9.) Ryan Kelly is a good mid range big man option that can work fromt he high key set screens and pop for a good Jump shot.

10,) Coach K offers me a job as official game watcher for the rest of my life and pays me well for it.

A guy can dream can't he.

Airforcedukie

BlueintheFace
03-28-2009, 01:29 AM
G- Works on Handles (especially left hand) and a bit more on finishing around the basket

Kyle- develops one or two more sweet spots on the floor that he can run to

Jon- develops a consistent step back three off the dribble (he's done it once or twice and I think it can become one of his money shots)

Elliot- Three point shooting

LT- keep working on that midrange game. It looked a lot better this year.

Zoubek- Mentality. He needs to find some anger deep down inside and confidence to use it around the rim. He'll never be much of a jumper, but he can use what he has better. Also, a little flip shot/half hook in the lane. That one money shot would be unblockable due to his size if he could get it.

Nolan- Creating opportunities for himself and pushing the break.

Ryan Kelly and MP2- Learn the system and learn it quick.

Coach K- Coach to potential a bit more from the beginning of the season. IF you think MP2 could be our best option in March down low. Throw him into that fire. Although, I think it is clear that K learned that this season a bit. If anybody truly believes that Elliot happened to make such a jump from bench player with almost no minutes to starter with significant minutes at that exact point in the season.... I have some real estate investment opportunities you might be interested in.

Kfanarmy
03-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Even if we did get Curry (and I figure that's a longshot), he wouldn't be a part of next year's team. He'd be sitting out for the year as required by the NCAA for D-1 transfers. I guess it can still be a wish, but it won't do much for next year's team.
really challenge the starters in practice!!!!:D

speedevil2001
03-30-2009, 01:15 AM
What are the one or two changes you think would help us the most next year?

Me? I'd like to see Kyle do a Jay Bilas and spend the summer in the weight room. I think he's the most complete player we'll have, but he looks so frail next to some of the big bodies he plays against. A gain of 15-20 pounds of muscle will give the team a shot at a go-to player down low. He'd be able to play with the 4s and still have the shooting stroke of a 2 or 3 . . . can you say 1st team All America?

Old timers will remember what I'm talking about . . . recall the huge difference in Jay Bilas' game between junior and senior years. And Kyle has much more game than Jay to begin with.

Just my $0.02 worth . . .

John Wall....if he comes to Duke, i say the bluedevils will be the leaders for the national title. actually where ever he goes, that team will be in contention for the title.

heyman25
03-30-2009, 06:30 AM
Everyone needs to get stronger.

And the guards need to develop their handles, specifically, the ability to change directions and cross over. Against other athletic defenders, that is the only way to consistently get into the lane. Nobody on this team can do this. Which is why against Nova we were reduced to shooting jumpshots with a hand in the face.

1) John Wall comes to Duke with a great attitude and praises Duke as a place where he was comfortable and happy. He credits K and the staff (specifically mentioning Nate and C-Well) for helping him grow up and become a man. With that endorsement the anti-Duke perception takes a major hit among poorer African-American kids. Like Brand did for us a decade ago, Wall makes Duke cool again.
The Plumlees Zoubek Thomas and Kelly become good rebounders and scoring options.Czyz as well but he may be a Man Out of Time.to quote Elvis Costello

ItalianDevil
03-30-2009, 07:11 AM
1) John Wall
2) banish 3 pt shots from our game

elvis14
03-30-2009, 05:05 PM
1) G returns
2) MP1 makes that Fr-Soph leap and become our starting 5. He showed flashes of goodness this season (in between fouls), we need much more of that next year. He has the explosiveness that Z lacks.

pfrduke
03-30-2009, 05:50 PM
2) banish 3 pt shots from our game

Why? The average return on them is almost as good as it is on layups. We shot ~35% from 3 on the season, which is the equivalent of ~53% from 2.

An ideal offense is constructed of layups and threes, with as few 10-18 ft shots as possible. You could say this season we had far too few of the former (and you'd be right). But eschewing the 3 is wasting a chance at free points.

moonpie23
03-31-2009, 11:06 AM
1) we are not all still wretching from UNC winning the title
2) success and excitement for our team
3) no one gets hurt
4) world peace

SoCalDukeFan
03-31-2009, 11:19 AM
Somewhere somehow we develop/find a true drive and dish assist oriented point guard who can control the ball.

No knock on Jon who did great but he he is not a driver and he is that guy that should be dished to not dishing out.

SoCal

arnie
03-31-2009, 11:49 AM
1) we are not all still wretching from UNC winning the title
2) success and excitement for our team
3) no one gets hurt
4) world peace

Your list is perfect - and you have them in the correct order of importance!