PDA

View Full Version : Next Step for Greg Paulus

BlueintheFace
03-27-2009, 12:05 PM
This, from an Andy Katz article:

The Blue Devils did exceed expectations this season, winning 30 games, claiming the ACC tournament title and earning a No. 2 seed in the NCAAs. The season was a success.

One player who ended his career with class was senior guard Greg Paulus. In the locker room after the game, Paulus didn't sulk. Instead, he sat freshman guard Elliot Williams down and told him how much the summer will mean to his career. He encouraged him to work hard. He was ensuring that Williams will carry on the Duke legacy of excellent point guards.

Paulus said he hopes to play professionally for a few seasons and then wants to coach. He already made his first move as a coach in that locker room at the TD Banknorth Garden. Paulus was a K disciple. He handled a reduction in minutes without a complaint and was a leader even after the season ended Thursday night.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4020100&name=katz_andy

Also, remember that Andre Dawkins specifically pointed to Greg Paulus recruiting him while he was on campus as a significant reason why he decided to come to Duke.

My guess is that we see Greg on the waiting list for a position at Duke pretty quick.

drksuh
03-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Greg's shortcomings have been overemphasized here at DBR and the TDD. But I submit for your consideration that his strengths have not been touted well enough, which Katz points out in the article. Loyalty, consistency, resiliency, buoyancy, indefatigability are traits which do not even supersede his three and one half years of experience. Not questioning coach K, but I wonder if continuing to use Greg all season this year as in his three previous years would not have given him confidence and intangible assets which would have proved invaluable in situations like last night when our big three went cold in their shooting. I am simply wondering if we could have reached another round and maybe even the Final Four if Greg had maintained his role as in the past. Elliott and Nolan had some good games but Greg Paulus contributed immensely in winning many games for us in three and a half years. I salute you, Greg Paulus, and I will always wonder.

Madrasdukie
03-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Nice piece by Katz on Greg. Thanks for the link. Can't remember the number of times I've felt invigorated just seeing Greg's hustle and heart - will definetly miss him.

Wish him the very best.

Mr Blue Devil
03-27-2009, 12:33 PM
GP will go down as one of my favorite all time players. The more articles I see like this, the more of an inspiration he becomes. He sets an example on the court with his attitude and demeanor that you rarely find in players. He was never legendary statistically, but certain was in personality.

He is the type of player that if I coached kids basketball, I would constantly refer to. He sets such a great example and I cannot wait to see him on the duke bench one day in a suit and tie.

BlueDvl817
03-27-2009, 12:56 PM
I was born in the late 80's and grew up watching Duke basketball in the 90's and 2000's. One thing I always admired about the players on our teams was that even when shots weren't going down or they were going through a losing streak, they always exuded toughness, class, and a willingness to work together as a team. I think this probably stemmed from Coach K's attitude and a handful of players who made sure everyone else on the team knew they had to act the part if they wanted to play at Duke; guys like Wojo, Battier, and Duhon come to mind.

I don't think any Duke player's behavior in recent memory embodied the theme of sacrificing for the greater good of the team any more than Greg Paulus' this year. Nothing about his attitude was fake; he not only accepted his vastly diminished playing time and new role on the bench as cheerleader and mentor to the younger guys, he embraced it. I know his playing career didn't pan out quite like we all hoped, but for me, he will go down as one of those guys who was simply classic Duke. His actions after last nights game proved that to me beyond a shadow of a doubt.

DevilDad
03-27-2009, 03:06 PM
My son , a senior and classmate of Greg's tells me this is one the most approachable guys on campus, a true "student" athlete.:)

geraldsneighbor
03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
How can you not love GP? That was what hurt the most to me last night. We won't ever get to see him in a Duke uniform again. That hurts, but he did have a great career. I'll never forget what Greg did for us. Thanks Greg.

dukebsbll14
03-27-2009, 04:14 PM
http://media.charlotteobserver.com/smedia/2009/03/27/03/732-NCAA_Villanova_Duke_Basketb_07.embedded.prod_affil iate.138.JPG

In the short time I've been following Duke basketball, Greg's been without a doubt my favorite player. The hardest part about last night was knowing that that was the last time I would see Greg play; his quick three was the last basket I would see him make. I love his heart, I love his intensity, and I look forward to seeing him on the Duke bench sometime in the future.

taiw93
03-27-2009, 05:37 PM
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Greg's college career has striking similarities to that of Jeff Capel. They both started at point guard as freshmen, were never completely "accepted" by Duke fans, and were Academic All-Americans. Greg, as has previously been noted, also has many similarities to Wojo, in his hustle, competitiveness, and chippy play. Wojo is now an associate head coach at Duke, and Capel is arguably the best young coach in the country at OU, and possibly the future head coach of Duke. Hopefully Greg can emulate the success of Capel and Wojo. I wish the best for him - he's a great kid and a class act.

jma4life
03-27-2009, 11:48 PM
Gotta love this kind of thing. Honestly, I'm more certain Paulus will succeed in whatever he does than I am in most former Duke guys who have made it to the NBA, that's just the kind of guy he is.

geraldsneighbor
03-28-2009, 03:05 AM
I'm certain Paulus would succeed in taking this program over when K steps down. His intensity is amazing. I love GP3. I think goodbye is that much harder to say say when it is someone like himself.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-28-2009, 03:35 AM
I hear there is a job open at Kentucky maybe they should take a chance on the kid.:D Nobody else wants the job.

Airforcedukie

dukeman28428
03-28-2009, 08:46 AM
Greg Paulus:

You are a class act and thanks for all that you have done for Duke basketball. Your future is bright and stay just the way you are. Keep that positive team attitude!!

Come back to Duke as often as you can as we love you. :)

Houston
03-28-2009, 09:46 AM
GP3:

Thank you for everything that you have contributed to the University and the basketball team. You are an amazing ambassador of the University and epitomized what a student-athlete should be. You deserve a tremendous amount of credit for the way you handled adversity and rose above it. Thank you!

miramar
03-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Perhaps the best thing about Greg was that he was here during some of the tough times and that he never stopped working and contributing to the team. Even this year, when he did not make as great a contribution as before, he was instrumental in the Miami victory. Considering that we had just been blown out by Wake and went on to lose the next two, he really came through at a low point in the season. He was the Player of the Game that time, plus five times last year, and eight times the year before that (just click on Schedules above). DBR doesn't seem to have the info for 2005-06 readily available, but he was Player of the Game at least 14 times. That's impressive.

duke45k
03-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Here is a video i made of his highlights at Duke. its not great but i tried. I love this kid and i hate to see him go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeI7zXpYHDk

Devilsfan
03-28-2009, 12:47 PM
There must be a lot of good in Greg. Look how much the heels hate him.

fitimi1
03-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Just simply a class act.

Several times I have seen or heard quotes from him that go something like this, "At Duke one is a part of something bigger than one's self." The vast majority of the people who have attended Duke can readily understand and appreciate that.

He has always been a favorite of mine since I "met" him his freshman year at the first football game. As we passed I welcomed him and wished him the best for a great year. With a big smile and eye to eye contact, his response was, "Thank you, sir."

I agree with the other posters who say that he will be successful in whatever endeavor he pursues and I add my best wishes.

Thanks for what you have given all who love this University.

Son of Mojo
03-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Next step--starting quarterback for the Panthers. I would LOVE to see that happen. I know, obviously, that it won't occur but that would certainly be a story. Top rated QB out of HS, hasn't played competitively in years (that we know), goes to an open Panthers camp and works his way onto the team. You have to admit, you'd fall in love with him all over again if that scenario would ever happen. Then after years of this he could get into coaching. Regardless, Greg will be missed for many reasons.

YmoBeThere
03-28-2009, 02:38 PM
were never completely "accepted" by Duke fans,

Huh, what the heck does this mean re: Capel and Paulus? Was Christian accepted or Bobby Hurley?

taiw93
03-28-2009, 04:14 PM
Huh, what the heck does this mean re: Capel and Paulus? Was Christian accepted or Bobby Hurley?

All I mean to point out here is that both players received a lot a criticism from Duke fans, more so than any of their teammates. Sorry for the confusion.

formerdukeathlete
03-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Next step--starting quarterback for the Panthers. I would LOVE to see that happen. I know, obviously, that it won't occur but that would certainly be a story. Top rated QB out of HS, hasn't played competitively in years (that we know), goes to an open Panthers camp and works his way onto the team. You have to admit, you'd fall in love with him all over again if that scenario would ever happen. Then after years of this he could get into coaching. Regardless, Greg will be missed for many reasons.

As Carlos pointed out, Greg has one more year to play a varsity sport (other than basketball). He would have to be enrolled in school, of course. This can be at Duke or somewhere else, even d-1a. I know of one BCS program which is interested in talking with Greg about playing Football in the fall. Their hoops team also is still in the tourney. Greg has to be interested, but if he is interested, his Football career does not have to be over.

Virginian
03-28-2009, 05:42 PM
I've been a big fan of Greg for four years for all the reasons cited above. And all the Duke fans I know personally feel the same way. I know he's going to be really successful no matter what he does from here. I look forward to hearing much more from him in the coming years.

YmoBeThere
03-29-2009, 07:55 AM
All I mean to point out here is that both players received a lot a criticism from Duke fans, more so than any of their teammates.

Which is really kind of dumb if you ask me, the criticism that is. Its sort of like going to a student and saying, "Well, with your SAT scores, HS GPA and given the quality of your high school, you should have a 3.65 GPA. So, your 3.35 is a disappointment." The only person who has a right to judge to that extent, IMHO, is the player/student themselves. Any fan that thinks they have the right to do so, has an inflated sense of self-worth.

ArkieDukie
03-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Count me among the people who are huge fans of Greg Paulus and will miss seeing him in a Duke uniform. I would love to see him on the sidelines in a suit in the future.

GP, if you're reading this, thanks for all your many contributions to Duke basketball over the past 4 years. You have represented our program well. Best wishes for a long, successful, and fulfilling career.

KrazyKfan
03-29-2009, 08:41 PM
I will never forget Greg Paulus lighting up UNC last year.

Good times.

Cameron
03-29-2009, 08:48 PM
Good call, KrazyKfan.

Greg's torching in the Dean Dome last February went down in the annals of Duke Basketball. It was the greatest game #3 ever played.

For that one night, he was the best player in college basketball. Every trip down the floor, Greg was special that evening. Our team rallied behind his leadership and behind his unconscious lofting. Shot after shot, take after take, swish. Stop and pop from 20'? Sure. Transition chuck from 28'? Absolutely. Curl and torch from the left wing? Yes.

Thank you, Greg, for one of the most satisfying wins in the rivalry's history.

taiw93
03-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Which is really kind of dumb if you ask me, the criticism that is. Its sort of like going to a student and saying, "Well, with your SAT scores, HS GPA and given the quality of your high school, you should have a 3.65 GPA. So, your 3.35 is a disappointment." The only person who has a right to judge to that extent, IMHO, is the player/student themselves. Any fan that thinks they have the right to do so, has an inflated sense of self-worth.

I agree with you that the criticism was very much unwarranted, but it has been there nonetheless. Although Greg has not lived up to some people's expectations, he has been an excellent representative of Duke University and student-athletes everywhere.

DukieBoy
03-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Good call, KrazyKfan.

Greg's torching in the Dean Dome last February went down in the annals of Duke Basketball. It was the greatest game #3 ever played.

For that one night, he was the best player in college basketball. Every trip down the floor, Greg was special that evening. Our team rallied behind his leadership and behind his unconscious lofting. Shot after shot, take after take, swish. Stop and pop from 20'? Sure. Transition chuck from 28'? Absolutely. Curl and torch from the left wing? Yes.

Thank you, Greg, for one of the most satisfying wins in the rivalry's history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UNp2lhs6hs

Silence, I tell you!

GP, you will be missed.

Another link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlHdIDFZzXc&feature=related) for the whole game

Cameron
03-29-2009, 09:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UNp2lhs6hs

Silence, I tell you!

GP, you will be missed.

Aha, one of those curl and torches from the left wing:)

God, I loved him. Still do.

geraldsneighbor
03-29-2009, 11:24 PM
"It's raining threes in Chapel Hill!"

Kewlswim
03-30-2009, 12:14 AM
Hi,

I just got back on the left coast from a short stay in Boston. Though the Devils lost it was awesome to see a game at the Garden. Among the people I spoke with were two of Greg's friends. They came to watch him play and were very nice. Obviously ball players, but not arrogant jocks--just nice kids. They reminded me a lot of my nephew's friends with whom he plays high school ball with.

I asked how he was doing after the game. They said he was disappointed in losing, but relieved he could go and enjoy being a student again for these very last few weeks of college.

GO DUKE!