PDA

View Full Version : NOW whom do you want to win it all?

eddiehaskell
03-27-2009, 12:45 AM
Sad to see Duke bounced, but one of the remaining 12 teams will cut down the nets. Who would you like see win it all? I'm pulling for Oklahoma because I think they actually have a chance.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-27-2009, 12:48 AM
A B c

moonpie23
03-27-2009, 12:49 AM
ABC baby, ABC....

Exiled_Devil
03-27-2009, 12:50 AM
A B c

A B C (or conn)

I'm rooting for Jeff.

1999ballboy
03-27-2009, 12:52 AM
It would be nice to see Jeff win it all. But I also really like Syracuse and Missouri. I for one would be shocked if we don't see at least one 3 seed in the final 4. They've all played really well, and I'll be rooting for Nova against Pitt. Though Duke certainly didn't play very well tonight, Nova's performance commanded a lot of respect. They just play damn good basketball.

jipops
03-27-2009, 01:00 AM
I don't see OU taking it. Have to have better guard play to actually advance to FF.

I'll probably be pulling for Nova or the Cuse.

kinghoops
03-27-2009, 01:01 AM
Im currently pulling for gonzaga, and if need be i will change my rooting interest on sunday

dukeballer2294
03-27-2009, 01:03 AM
1st what does abc stand for. second im pulling for Pitt but most importantly any team not named UNC

DukeCO2009
03-27-2009, 01:12 AM
ABC

If there is a basketball God, he won't let them win.

sue71, esq
03-27-2009, 01:13 AM
1. KU
2. ABc (well, except UCon... if it comes to UNC & UCon, maybe the game will be snowed out)

bjornolf
03-27-2009, 01:16 AM
Anybody
But
Carolina

I'll be pulling for Villanova, the winner of Oklahoma v. Syracuse, anybody with a shot against UConn, anybody with a shot against Carolina.

DUKIE V(A)
03-27-2009, 01:18 AM
1. Nova
1a. The Zags

11. UConn
12. Carolina

Carolina runs a much cleaner and more respectable program, but I want to see Ol' Roy cry.

eddiehaskell
03-27-2009, 01:20 AM
1. KU
2. ABc (well, except UCon... if it comes to UNC & UCon, maybe the game will be snowed out)It would be a dark day in basketball history if it came down to convicts vs holes. :(

I'd volunteer for an induced coma. Let us pray.

dukediv2013
03-27-2009, 01:25 AM
I am pulling for Louisville, they are so athletic and fun to watch.

If they don't win, I would love to see Nova, Syracuse, Pitt, Mizzou, Oklahoma, Arizona, Michigan State, Kansas, or Gonzaga win it all!

GTHC(arolina and onvicts)!

Greg_Newton
03-27-2009, 01:52 AM
Too soon. Too soon.

But... once my depression subsides, I will simply be rooting against Carolina and the Big East. If the Big East gets 3+ teams in the final four and wins the championship, it would just be such a dominant display of superiority and I would absolutely hate to see that. Call me crazy, but my brain (if not my heart) will even be pulling for a Carolina victory if they face Syracuse in the quarters and maybe even against Pitt in the semis. I would hate to have them actually win it all, but it's so hard to watch the ACC get completely humiliated, almost down to the team. Only 2 out of our 7 have managed to "hold seed" thus far, and it could easily be 1 of 7 when all is said and done. This has been a bad, bad March for our extended family, and I just hope it doesn't have any lasting implications.

marinbobbyduhon
03-27-2009, 01:54 AM
Gonzaga.

I live in the Pacific Northwest, so this is a no-brainer now that my beloved Duke team is heading home for the season. I was pulling hard for Xavier tonight against Pitt. I just love the mid-majors when they are not playing against us.

But I agree with ABC - the C being the ConVicts. I really despise that program. Duke stands for everything that is good in College basketball, and UConn is the antithesis of that IMO.

Ian
03-27-2009, 02:15 AM
Villanova. Watched the Jay Wright post game press conference and he was very classy in victory.

weezie
03-27-2009, 02:40 AM
sooners uber alles

KenTankerous
03-27-2009, 02:41 AM
With as weak as the NBA draft is projected to be this year, three Big East teams in the Final Four could decimate that league next year.

So GO T WILL!

And take 2/3rds of the league with ya!

Ben63
03-27-2009, 07:25 AM
I'll be rooting for Pitt and Oklahoma, but as long as it's not unc, it really doesn't matter.

heyman25
03-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Anybody
But
Carolina

I'll be pulling for Villanova, the winner of Oklahoma v. Syracuse, anybody with a shot against UConn, anybody with a shot against Carolina.

Jeff Capel would be great if he won
Syracuse since I nearly transferred there and have family members that are Syracuse alums.
Villanova beat us so thoroughly I respect them. They were not gloating or showboating like recent teams that ended our NCAA run.

RelativeWays
03-27-2009, 07:39 AM
I don't care really. I'd prefer UNC to go home empty handed more because I don't want to deal with their insufferable fans bleeting and baa-ing for the next few months. I will never want UConn to win anything, even the holes are preferable to them. Outside of those two, I really don't care who does win.

GoingFor#5
03-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Lakers

davekay1971
03-27-2009, 08:49 AM
ABC...

Ranking top to bottom from most want to please shoot me if this happens:
Oklahoma (Go, Jeff!)
Villanova
Pitt
Missou
Anybody in Louisville's bracket
UConnvicts
Tarholes

All that being said, I have a ugly feeling we're looking at a UConnvict-UNC final.

hurleyfor3
03-27-2009, 08:58 AM
What would be the least desirable outcome for unc fans? Not Gonzaga going all the way, because then they can say they lost to the eventual national champ. Probably either Oprahoma or Kansas.

longtimefan
03-27-2009, 09:00 AM
I have to stick with the acc.unc then Oklahoma.

CathyCA
03-27-2009, 09:11 AM
I'm so numb from last night's loss that I don't care who wins now.

I love Duke.

whereinthehellami
03-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Pitt or ABC. I enjoy watching Young play. Kid is tough and savy. I love the shot fake. Best I have ever seen. You don't get that without alot of work. Blair is fun to watch to. Pitt is showing some toughness. They didn't look sharp early in the tourney but they might have been a little rusty after a pretty good layoff (early big east tourney exit). They seem to be getting tougher and tougher as the tourney continues.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-27-2009, 09:24 AM
http://www.vintage-retro-70s.com/images/jackson5_7.jpg

dyedwab
03-27-2009, 09:28 AM
I thought the tourney ended when Duke lost;)

BoC
03-27-2009, 09:56 AM
First, anybody but UNC or UConn. Next, 'nova (take some of the sting away from our loss).

Then, OK (for Jeff Capel).

Next would be Louisville, to drive Kentucky's fans berserk.

Then anybody else.

UConnJack
03-27-2009, 10:00 AM
This is like throwing rocks at a hornets nest, but........UConn. Or anyone form the Big East. Or maybe the Zags.

UrinalCake
03-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Call me crazy, but my brain (if not my heart) will even be pulling for a Carolina victory if they face Syracuse in the quarters and maybe even against Pitt in the semis. I would hate to have them actually win it all, but it's so hard to watch the ACC get completely humiliated, almost down to the team.

I can't bring myself to want that... the ACC will be seen as a bust this year whether Carolina loses today or wins the title. ABC for me.

CTDukeFan
03-27-2009, 10:13 AM
Gotta pull for OK and Nova now (though I like the idea of Louisville winning to get the Kentucky fans in a tizzy). It would be great to see Capel win one.

But, if my nightmare scenario plays out and UNC and Ucon play for the title, I think I'll have to pull for Ucon and then hope they have to vacate the title once the NCAA gets through with their investigation.

BlueDevilBaby
03-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Ooooooklahoma!, then ABC (Carolina or UConn).

hurleyfor3
03-27-2009, 10:28 AM
This is like throwing rocks at a hornets nest, but........UConn. Or anyone form the Big East. Or maybe the Zags.

UConn winning > unc winning. No uconntest. Of course UConn no longer has a prayer now that there's no Duke around for you to beat. :)

should_be_working
03-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Seriously, i couldn't care less. When Duke looses, its over for me. I don't look at my bracket again, i don't watch another game. Deep depression sets in and all is wrong with the world. The only thing left remotely worth cheering for, is the loss of UNC. Other than that, college basketball could end right now without a winner and I wouldn't care. :(

Tjenkins
03-27-2009, 10:45 AM
In this order:
1.Gonzaga
2.Oklahoma
3.ABC

I won't watch the final if it's UNC/UConn, but a win by the holes is worse than a win by Ucon. I live in the south and encounter hole fans & alumni every day(I never run into any huskie fans).

Devilsfan
03-27-2009, 10:46 AM
I am hard pressed to decide if I get more enjoyment out of a Duke win or rooting against the college of chapel hill. It's a Duke win of course but not by much.

UrinalCake
03-27-2009, 10:47 AM
But, if my nightmare scenario plays out and UNC and Ucon play for the title, I think I'll have to pull for Ucon and then hope they have to vacate the title once the NCAA gets through with their investigation.

Wouldn't that mean that UNC then gets the title?

phillyheel
03-27-2009, 10:59 AM
Wouldn't that mean that UNC then gets the title?

No it's just vacated, but I'm sure we'd hang a banner anyway :D

I felt myself pulling for you guys last night. I guess it was ACC pride or I'm just getting old.

DU82
03-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Gotta pull for OK and Nova now (though I like the idea of Louisville winning to get the Kentucky fans in a tizzy). It would be great to see Capel win one.

Unfortunately, it would be doubtful that the Cons would have to vacate the championship, unless one of the current team is found to be ineligible. Of course, according to Calhoun, there's nothing wrong at UCon, since the kid in question never actually played for them.

feldspar
03-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Jeff Capel
Gonzaga
Kansas

In that order.

CameronBornAndBred
03-27-2009, 11:33 AM
ABC, I really don't care. I'll stick with the family and hope that Capel gets to cut down the nets.

miramar
03-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Gonzaga, I'm sure it's not hard to figure out why.

DukieBoy
03-27-2009, 11:59 AM
In order....

0. ABC
1. OU
2. 'Cuse
3. Louisville
4. Pitt
5. Gonzaga
6. Zona
7. Missouri
8. Kansas
9. Mich. St
10. Nova
11. UConn
12. UNC

Magnolia888
03-27-2009, 12:48 PM
ABC. Of course!

I also do not want UConn to win. Ugh.

But . . . if I had to choose, I'd go with Oklahoma because of Jeff. That would be great to see him win. I'd be fine with Missouri or Gonzaga because they aren't Big East.

The Gordog
03-27-2009, 01:02 PM
I am hard pressed to decide if I get more enjoyment out of a Duke win or rooting against the college of chapel hill. It's a Duke win of course but not by much.

My 4 year old daughter has dubbed the 'holes Carolina Tech.:D

OK (for Jeff)
Mizzu,
Zags,
'Nova (takes off some of the sting),
'Cuse (grew up upstate),
Any remaining non big east team,
Pitt,
L'ville,
UConv,
Carolina Tech

shadowfax336
03-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Let's Go Pitt!!

(and I've been saying since they were ranked 1/2 towards the beginning of the season that if it came down to a UNC/UConn final I'd be cheering for a meteor)

eddiehaskell
03-27-2009, 09:09 PM
OU playing great!!! If the Zags can't get UNC, hopefully Jeff can!

TriGuy
03-27-2009, 09:19 PM
I guess I'm a bit old-school . . . you always hope that a team that beat you takes it all, it makes your team look better. So that means 'Nova and if that fails, then (unfortunately) the Tarholes.

We had a great run along those lines 1986-94 . . . except for '89 and '93, we either won the NC or lost to the team that DID win the NC . . . hard to do better than that.

A-Tex Devil
03-27-2009, 09:23 PM
1. Any Big XII team (OU favorable)
2. Gonzaga
3. Any Big East team besides Uconn
4. UNC/UCONN

I hope UConn and UNC don't play next Monday cause I won't watch.

Blake Griffin just slammed his head on the backboard. :p

captmojo
03-27-2009, 09:31 PM

How about that "Let me show ya how it's done" dunk? WOW! If that isn't monster, I don't think I could pick Frankenstein out in a lineup.

I'm echoing others, rooting for Capel.

FireOgilvie
03-27-2009, 09:33 PM
1. Any Big XII team (OU favorable)
2. Gonzaga
3. Any Big East team besides Uconn
4. UNC/UCONN

I hope UConn and UNC don't play next Monday cause I won't watch.

I am rooting hard for OU.

Griffin can really get up there. It was actually amazing haha. I don't remember seeing anyone else actually bang their head on the backboard. He has the most rebounds in a season since Hakeem Olajuwon in '84. He's completely dominant. 30 points, 14 reb, and he did it on 12-15 shooting. Amazing. That's a standard stat line for him in this tournament. Anyone that thinks someone else is NPOY is out of their mind/totally biased.

eddiehaskell
03-27-2009, 09:44 PM
As a ABCer, I definitely want to see UNC lose tonight, but as a basketball fan, it would be nice to see Griffin vs Hansbrough (with Griffin dominating and making Hansbrough cry of course).

NYC Duke Fan
03-27-2009, 11:07 PM
I am a huge Met fan so I rooted for the Phillies in last years World Series

I am a huge Giant fan so I rooted for the Cardinals in this years Super Bowl

I am a Knick fan so I rooted for the Celtics in last years NBA finals

I am a Ranger fan so I rooted for the Penguins in last years Stanley Cup

I am a huge Duke fan so I guess you know who I am rooting for

kmspeaks
03-27-2009, 11:37 PM
Oklahoma- for Capel
Villanova- cause my bf will win big money in an office pool if this happens
ABC
If the title game is UConn-Carolina then I'm not watching . . . and I'm not watching ESPN for at least 3 days after that

A-Tex Devil
03-27-2009, 11:38 PM
I swear -- if they win this game and run into refs that actually call fouls when guys crash over the other teams backs on rebounds, they'll all foul out in the first half. My god, they are basically piggy backing KU on every offensive possession. Not sure I've seen anything like it.

eddiehaskell
03-27-2009, 11:40 PM
MY GOD....I hate these UNC explosions. 3 pointer....3 pointer....3 point play....3 point play....12 unanswered points in about 1 minute. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

When UNC is drilling 3s, they are VERY hard to beat. Play tight and they can drive by you - if they miss the 3, they've got the size to rebound. Just for fun they can dump in down to Hansbrough, Thompson or Davis

dukeman28428
03-28-2009, 08:53 AM
I am pulling for Jeff Capel and Oklahoma.
Under no circumstances will I pull for the light blue.
After our loss to Villanova, every Carolina fan in our area has taken the opportunity to rub it in my face so GTH UNC :eek:

Buckeye Devil
03-28-2009, 09:04 AM
If not Oklahoma, I am hoping Michigan State, even though it is an extreme longshot. I don't want a Big East team and in no way could I stomach a UNC N/C.

grossbus
03-28-2009, 09:46 AM
1. not carolina
2. not uconnvict

Lauderdevil
03-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Sometimes I think this board is, like Gaul, divided into three parts:

1. Proclamations about the superiority of the Duke program: consistent excellence, scandal-free approach with great kids and coaches. Deep alarm about the unfair "Duke haters" that for unfathomable reasons root for Duke to lose.

2. Proclamations about the horrid nature of the UNC program: wacko players, disingenuous (and worse) coaches, detail about any conceivable misstep. Passionate antagonism for anything light blue.

3. Game analysis, etc., plus proclamations about the superiority of the ACC.

Now, I'm as down as anyone about the end of the season, and frankly, I don't care all that much about who wins now that Duke is out. But doesn't it occur to anyone that UNC is the last hope of restoring the tattered reputation of the ACC? That Carolina runs a clean, consistently strong program, with outstanding (yes, if occasionally annoying) coaching? That they are a model for us just as we are a model for them? That Carolina hating is just a variant on Duke hating? That just as we high-five Kyle's decision to stay and hold our breath for G, we have an example just down the road of kids who could be making millions but decided to forego that for their buddies and for college basketball? That UNC is our neighbor, and that we're unbelievably fortunate to have two -- I would argue three -- world class universities within a few miles, something that could have an unbelievable impact on the region and even the country if people could just get along?

Guys, Carolina players and fans are not bad people. They root for the wrong school, sure, but that doesn't make them evil.

Would we really rather see UConn win this thing than UNC?

Not to get too political, but did anyone else get pissed off when Rush Limbaugh said he hopes Obama fails -- even though the way things work, Obama's failure would mean our country's failure? If you did, do you wonder about our own ABC obsession?

Now, any Dukie would have to root for Jeff Capel. I'm totally in alignment there. But if Carolina wins that one, I'm looking for them to hold the line against the Big East onslaught. And you know what? Hiding behind all the ABC braggadocio, I suspect a lot of the rest of you quietly feel the same way.

I'll be rooting for Carolina. There, I've said it.

Get out the torches and pitchforks.

Neals384
03-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Missouri or Louisville. To be a true national champion, you should at least be able to win your conference.

_Gary
03-28-2009, 11:51 AM
My thoughts on this are well known. Like many others, I'm subscribing to the ABC plan (both "C"s).

I've never been able to comprehend any Duke fan rooting for UNC to win it all. Maybe if I ever meet a Carolina fan who genuinely roots for Duke I'll change my mind. But I've yet to encounter such an animal, so I'm sticking with ABC.

A-Tex Devil
03-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Missouri or Louisville. To be a true national champion, you should at least be able to win your conference.

Missouri didn't win its conference. Big XII determined by regular season. Autobid is tourney champ, and they are the TOURNEY champ, but in Big XII, unlike ACC, regular season champ is conference champ.

NYC Duke Fan
03-28-2009, 01:25 PM
That if you are a big Duke fan and live in North Carolina it would be hard to root for UNC, and if you went to Duke it would also be hard.

But for me who lives in NYC and has only sent my children to Duke, I can easily root for UNC and cannot understand why others similar to me, or those who neither live in NC or went to Duke, but are Duke fans cannot root for UNC. It would seem to me that you root for those schools in your conference if your team is out of it.

CDu
03-28-2009, 04:53 PM
At the beginning of the year, people were searching for teams that could keep UNC from winning the title. Among those listed? UConn, Pitt, Oklahoma, and even Gonzaga. Well, it's very interesting that, in order for UNC to win the title, they may well have to go through EACH of those teams in the next 10 days to get it done.

kmspeaks
03-28-2009, 07:39 PM
Now, I'm as down as anyone about the end of the season, and frankly, I don't care all that much about who wins now that Duke is out. But doesn't it occur to anyone that UNC is the last hope of restoring the tattered reputation of the ACC? That Carolina runs a clean, consistently strong program, with outstanding (yes, if occasionally annoying) coaching? That they are a model for us just as we are a model for them? That Carolina hating is just a variant on Duke hating? That just as we high-five Kyle's decision to stay and hold our breath for G, we have an example just down the road of kids who could be making millions but decided to forego that for their buddies and for college basketball? That UNC is our neighbor, and that we're unbelievably fortunate to have two -- I would argue three -- world class universities within a few miles, something that could have an unbelievable impact on the region and even the country if people could just get along?

Guys, Carolina players and fans are not bad people. They root for the wrong school, sure, but that doesn't make them evil.

That's why it's called a rivalry. It doesn't have to always make sense. Part of the reason we hate them so much is we're so alike.

I don't care how many rational reasons anyone can give for rooting for Carolina, I still want them to lose, lose often, and lose badly. I can promise you that will never change.

1999ballboy
03-28-2009, 07:39 PM
[redacted deleted post quote]

Anyway, many people have been taking things a bit too seriously in this thread IMHO. I agree with those who have pointed out that it is probably more difficult to root for UNC for those who live in North Carolina. I'm not rooting for UNC, but I don't care if other Duke fans are. I'm just enjoying some good basketball for the time.

calltheobvious
03-28-2009, 10:16 PM
snip...

Now, any Dukie would have to root for Jeff Capel. I'm totally in alignment there. But if Carolina wins that one, I'm looking for them to hold the line against the Big East onslaught. And you know what? Hiding behind all the ABC braggadocio, I suspect a lot of the rest of you quietly feel the same way.

I'll be rooting for Carolina. There, I've said it.

Get out the torches and pitchforks.

Yeah, um, no. As much as it would pain me if the worst were to happen and UConn and UNC meet nine days from now, I'd root for uCon with absolutely zero equivocation. And I suspect that far more in these parts would be with me than against me. Sure, it would stink for Calhoun to get #3, but he's getting ready to suffer a very ignominious end to his career regardless of the finish, so I'm not that worried about any comparisons to K.

As for my most preferred outcome, it's certainly for Capel to do what Bob Stoops can't anymore, which is not flame out under the spotlight.

But if that doesn't happen, I could easily live with what I think will happen, which is that Villanova will continue their outstanding play and cut 'em down.

A-Tex Devil
03-28-2009, 11:52 PM
I can say unequivocally, that I will root for UNC over UConn. I hope things don't come to it and I just threw up in my mouth a bit. But the fact that a cheater (yeah I said it, UConn fans reading this, step the f up if you'd like) and a jackass like Jim Calhoun might get 3 titles sickens me. As much as I dislike Carolina, Roy Williams has a modicum of class and has earned what he has gotten.

So yeah -- nuclear option, I'm rooting for UNC. Now time to go watch the SXSW leftovers.

eddiehaskell
03-29-2009, 12:31 AM
For those of us in NC, we have to see the t-shirts and hear about it for the rest of our lives (as if don't already hear enough about UNC). In UConn wins, it's basically forgotten about except on internet message boards.

heyman25
03-29-2009, 02:21 AM
Now that UCONN and Villanova are in, my latest list will
be
1.Oklahoma
2.Villanova
3.Louisville

The head Coaches are class acts. The teams seem to be honorable sportsmen.
UNC fans are horrible to Duke fans. F*#" them. Will Blythe can kiss my A#@.