PDA

View Full Version : Singler Draft status

BlueintheFace
03-26-2009, 12:18 PM
I hate to bring this up on the day of a big game, but this piece has a few comforting facts and quotes regarding Singler sticking around to develop more at Duke. So, for those who are worried.... here you go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4016281&name=marchmadness

Also interesting: Singler is taking Plumlee under his wing a bit

geraldsneighbor
03-26-2009, 12:25 PM
I hate to bring this up on the day of a big game, but this piece has a few comforting facts and quotes regarding Singler sticking around to develop more at Duke. So, for those who are worried.... here you go.

Ahhhhhhh....deep breath. Thank you BlueintheFace! Let's get it done tonight boys!

DukeDevilDeb
03-26-2009, 12:40 PM

Why do it!? We are on the eve of our first Sweet Sixteen game in a while. Let's savor it and enjoy~! We can worry about the rest once we finish the tournament.

GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DUKIECB
03-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Don't you just love Kyle's attitude and mindset? It's great to hear someone in college say those types of things if they play for Duke or not. I think a lot of college players would have and still could benefit from that type of attitude.

Is it wishful thinking to hope he has this same outlook this time next year?:)

InSpades
03-26-2009, 01:13 PM
That is great news and welcome to hear at any time. I've said it before, but I really think Kyle is our Ty Lawson. He's the guy we can't replace. He does so many things so well and really no one can come close to filling his role on this team. Maybe next year we will get guys that can try to fill his role, but it will be very nice to have them learn under Kyle instead of being thrown to the wolves from day 1 (though w/ Kyle it seems he played more the part of the wolf from the start).

BlueintheFace
03-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Why do it!? We are on the eve of our first Sweet Sixteen game in a while. Let's savor it and enjoy~! We can worry about the rest once we finish the tournament.

GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because;

1) It came out today

2) It is relevant to the board

3) It is positive news rather than negative news

4) It is literally straight off of ESPN's March Madness blog

miramar
03-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Because;

1) It came out today

5) You knew we'd want to read it.

Thanks!

juise
03-26-2009, 01:45 PM
5) You knew we'd want to read it.

Thanks!

6) When Kyle is giving Villanova fits tonight, we'll smile just a little bigger as we remember how lucky we are to have a kid like him at Duke.

Xman95
03-26-2009, 02:10 PM
I haven't seen Duke play as much as you guys have, so your opinions will carry more weight than mine. But, from what I have seen of Singler, he could benefit greatly from another year (not sure he'll need that last one though).

He has been more assertive and it seems as if he's becoming more of a leader for Duke. And, most importantly, it seems like the light went on for him...and stayed on. Some guys show flashes, like the switch has finally been flipped. But then the ability seems to disappear, as if someone decided to sneak by during the night and turn it off again. What I have seen from Singler lately is a kid who is learning how to play his game and how to translate that into the flow of what Duke does.

If he comes back for another year of seasoning and shows he can bring his A game every night, he'll be ready for the league and should drastically improve his stock.

In a way, he kind of reminds me of D.Brown with Xavier. He's another kid that brings some great talents to the table but is still learning how to fully utilize those tools.

SushiChef
03-26-2009, 02:42 PM
6) When Kyle is giving Villanova fits tonight, we'll smile just a little bigger as we remember how lucky we are to have a kid like him at Duke.

7. Who cares about the timing? It's not like we're playing in the game and this is going to be a huge distraction. It certainly isn't going to adversely effect the way I'm cheering for Duke tonight. If anything it makes me that much more excited to know that Kyle is possibly staying another year!

CameronBlue
03-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Read the post this morning when I woke up...like White Fish and Bagels, hmmm.... good way to start the day!

DukeCO2009
03-26-2009, 05:31 PM
Because;

1) It came out today

Bingo.

Thanks for the link. I wish people would be more open to discussing things like this. If it's not distracting the players, I see no harm in bringing up NBA discussions. Doing so doesn't mean we aren't focusing on the game. A lot of us are Duke students or alums--we're smart enough to multitask ;).

feldspar
03-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Not to poo poo the sentiment, but things are ALWAYS different after the season is over and players' focus is no longer on practice every day and the next upcoming game.

I'm not counting on anything either way at this point.

Newton_14
03-26-2009, 09:33 PM
This is really great to see. I loved the line about not wanting anything in his life to be based on potential. Very refreshing in this age where the only thing that matters to alot of kids is to simply take the money and run as soon as possible.

I love Gerald Henderson and his game, and I love all of our players, but Kyle Singler is the most complete basketball player to play at Duke since Shane Battier. He is just so good in so many facets of the game. If you have a chance once the season ends go back and watch the first two games of the ACC tournament from this year and focus only on Kyle. He played amazing. And I think we have only seen a glimpse of what's to come. Just a special player with a great basketball mind.

jv001
03-26-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the link/info. Good to hear this just b4 our bigt game coming in a few mins. I like that Kyle knows he has room to improve and wants to be ready when he leaves. It was good to hear that he gives Coach K for helping him get to where he needs to be. That should be good for our potential recruits to hear. Now let's take out Nova. Go Duke!

DownEastDevil
04-12-2009, 09:17 AM
The News and Observer reported Singler as undecided on decision to enter draft. I had not heard that, has anyone else seen or heard from any differnent sources?

DukieBoy
04-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Until he announces one way or another, he will be listed as undecided. I don't see him going to the draft, but he hasn't technically announced he's coming back.

CDu
04-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Until he announces one way or another, he will be listed as undecided. I don't see him going to the draft, but he hasn't technically announced he's coming back.

Technically, Singler has announced he's coming back. He said so in the final post-game press conference. Of course, stated decisions to say can be reversed. So even when you say you're staying, people will often doubt it right up until the deadline.

arnie
04-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Technically, Singler has announced he's coming back. He said so in the final post-game press conference. Of course, stated decisions to say can be reversed. So even when you say you're staying, people will often doubt it right up until the deadline.

Typical N&O reporting, they list Ed Davis as saying he will stay. I think they just didn't bother acknowleding Singler's statement either due to ignorance or the lust for the Heels. Today's paper includes the 6th straight day of long praise articles on the Heels success.

NYC Duke Fan
04-12-2009, 10:44 AM
We all assumed that he was coming back based on his post tournament statement. If by some chance both he and Henderson do leave, Duke basketball will be in serious trouble next year.

Icarus09
04-12-2009, 11:20 AM
We all assumed that he was coming back based on his post tournament statement. If by some chance both he and Henderson do leave, Duke basketball will be in serious trouble next year.

I think we're also expecting him to come back because he's not NBA-ready yet, by which I mean, he would not be able to make the transition as easily as some players. He's still has a lot to work on, especially because since he is not as athletic as some SFs who go the the NBA, so he will need to be exceedingly skilled.

captmojo
04-12-2009, 11:42 AM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=26984

I refer to an answer given some time ago.

4decadedukie
04-12-2009, 03:10 PM
I take Kyle at his word; he unambiguously indicated that he would retrun and I believe he will.

gofurman
04-12-2009, 03:44 PM

what is the deadline to declare

shadowfax336
04-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Typical N&O reporting, they list Ed Davis as saying he will stay. I think they just didn't bother acknowleding Singler's statement either due to ignorance or the lust for the Heels. Today's paper includes the 6th straight day of long praise articles on the Heels success.

In fairness they did just win a national championship...

geraldsneighbor
04-12-2009, 09:14 PM
what is the deadline to declare

4/26.

johaad
04-17-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm Just curious, in some of the other threads people seem to think Singler will leave after next season. Has he ever said anything that would lead people to believe this or is it just a gut feeling by many on the Boards? I feel like his skill will be close to NBA ready by the end of next season but I don't know how he feels about getting a degree.

geraldsneighbor
04-17-2009, 01:23 PM
I'm Just curious, in some of the other threads people seem to think Singler will leave after next season. Has he ever said anything that would lead people to believe this or is it just a gut feeling by many on the Boards? I feel like his skill will be close to NBA ready by the end of next season but I don't know how he feels about getting a degree.

If he has the season I expect he will have (19 pts 9 rpg, ACC 1st team) I think he will leave.

Mike Corey
04-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Barring unforeseen events--like Duke disbanding its basketball team--Kyle Singler will be playing at Duke come November.

Lord Ash
04-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Barring unforeseen events--like Duke disbanding its basketball team--Kyle Singler will be playing at Duke come November.

Now that you mentioned it, does it become a foreseen event?

Mike Corey just sent Kyle Singler to the NBA. Thanks man.

Duvall
04-17-2009, 01:53 PM

But playing what? Now that he's a junior, he's eligible to show off his quarterbacking skills.

SilkyJ
04-17-2009, 05:30 PM
If he has the season I expect he will have (19 pts 9 rpg, ACC 1st team) I think he will leave.

Man, 9 boards per game is tough. Kyle has a nose for the ball and is very good rebounder for his size and athleticism, but not even Battier got 9rpg in a season, and boozer barely got there his last year at Duke (8.7rpg). Kyle is average athletically, and I just dont know he can rip 9 boards a game playing in the ACC. That's TOUGH.

I'd take 20 and 8 though :) (and heck if we get some REAL help from someone else down low, then I'd take 17 and 7 if it meant someone else was getting 10 and 6)

Saratoga2
04-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Looking at last years minutes for Singler and the other bigs over 37 games (1OT), makes one wonder how the minutes will be distributed in the 2009/2010 season.

Singler 1193
Thomas 669
Zoubek 427
McClure 568
Plumlee 165
Czyz 51

Total 3073 Minutes for the 4 & 5 2970

I think the discrepancy is in McClures minutes where he subbed for Henderson or another guard. If that is true, we are only losing about 468 minutes and we have two players coming in.

I assume Singler will maintain his minutes if healthy, leaving about 1790 minutes for the rest, assuming a similar number of games. My guess is that Mason Plumlee will pick up a substantial fraction of those and Ryan Kelly a smaller but meaningful fraction. That will leave Zoubek, Thomas Plumlee 1 struggling for PT. Only if the 3 position opens up a bit due to a shortage of guards will the bigs get to share more PT.

RelativeWays
04-19-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm betting you'll see Zoub and the Plums play the 5 exclusively barring injury or foul trouble. Thomas and hopefully Kelly play the 4 with Singler in some spots. The general feeling is that G is gone meaning Kyle can play 3, as can Scheyer and Ewill depending if we get Wall, Bledsoe or someone else. It also depends if Czyz has any remarkable improvement because size and athletic-wise he'd be a good back up 3.

COYS
04-20-2009, 12:40 AM
I'm betting you'll see Zoub and the Plums play the 5 exclusively barring injury or foul trouble. Thomas and hopefully Kelly play the 4 with Singler in some spots. The general feeling is that G is gone meaning Kyle can play 3, as can Scheyer and Ewill depending if we get Wall, Bledsoe or someone else. It also depends if Czyz has any remarkable improvement because size and athletic-wise he'd be a good back up 3.

I could also see Thomas play similar role next year as McClure played this year, at least potentially. They are different players in many ways, of course, but Thomas does possess the quickness to guard opposing 3's in certain situations. It will be very interesting to see how the minutes in the post shakeout. It would become extremely crowded if Olek shows marked improvement. I don't think that's a bad thing, though. I just hope that someone jumps out and demands some minutes in the post next year.

heyman25
04-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Forget about Bledsoe. He won't qualify. I think we still have a chance with John Wall.

geraldsneighbor
04-20-2009, 01:40 AM
Forget about Bledsoe. He won't qualify. I think we still have a chance with John Wall.

Did you grade his ACT?

zingit
04-20-2009, 02:15 AM

But Mike, we all know he's coming back this November; I think the first poster was talking about the season after next--i.e., will Singler leave in 2010, after his junior year? Am I reading you guys right? Anyway, I don't think any of us know what will happen after next season--heck, we still don't even know what will happen in this off-season. I think anyone talking about Singler leaving is just guessing.

johaad
04-20-2009, 09:59 AM
But Mike, we all know he's coming back this November; I think the first poster was talking about the season after next--i.e., will Singler leave in 2010, after his junior year? Am I reading you guys right? Anyway, I don't think any of us know what will happen after next season--heck, we still don't even know what will happen in this off-season. I think anyone talking about Singler leaving is just guessing.

Thank you. That is what I meant. My guess was that everyone talking about Singler leaving after 2009/2010 had gut feelings, but no facts to support the idea. I, along with most others here, feel Singler will have an excellent season this year. I just keep hoping that he will be one of those old fashioned guys that wants to play in his senior year and get a degree.

JBDuke
04-20-2009, 10:31 AM

Thank you. That is what I meant. My guess was that everyone talking about Singler leaving after 2009/2010 had gut feelings, but no facts to support the idea. I, along with most others here, feel Singler will have an excellent season this year. I just keep hoping that he will be one of those old fashioned guys that wants to play in his senior year and get a degree.

If you read this thread from the start, it's clear that not everyone KNEW that Kyle was coming back for next year. Johaad may have been making that assumption, and asking his question about the year after next, but others in this thread were not sharing that assumption.