PDA

View Full Version : John Hope Franklin - James B. Duke Professor Emeritus of History (1915-2009)

SharkD
03-25-2009, 04:08 PM
This may not be the appropriate sub-board, but I just thought I'd let the board know that a veritable institution at Duke, an incredibly brilliant historian and jovial man, Dr. John Hope Franklin, passed away this morning, at DUMC. Dr. Franklin was 94.

I had the pleasure of knowing him for just under 2 years -- I work at the Center for International Studies, which is housed within the John Hope Franklin Center for Interdisciplinary and International Studies.

Godspeed, Dr. Franklin.

heyman25
03-25-2009, 04:12 PM
He did seem like a brilliant man. I saw his interviews on Charlie Rose.

SharkD
03-25-2009, 04:29 PM
Duke has posted a memorial website:

http://www.duke.edu/johnhopefranklin/

bird
03-25-2009, 04:35 PM
One of my highlights at Duke was taking a course co-taught by Franklin. He had a very serious alternative view of American history; to this day I hear his voice in the back of my head as a counterpoint when I encounter sweetened versions of our history.

cruxer
03-25-2009, 05:16 PM
I never went to Duke, but my Dad did in the early 70s, and so I was born at Duke's hospital. My Dad was in the history department doing post-grad work in Afro-American history, so Franklin was a great inspiration to him.

Ironically, Professor Franklin spoke at my graduation from Furman in 1995. My father and I were both thrilled! What a graduation treat.

Rest In Peace....

-c

FreezingDevil
03-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Dr. Franklin was a truly great man who inspired -- and will continue to inspire -- generations old and new. Duke University, not to mention the entire nation, owes him a debt of gratitude, for without him Duke would not be the institution we all know and love.

Thank you, Dr. Franklin, for a beautiful life and may you rest in peace.

jdj4duke
03-25-2009, 05:32 PM
He needed the 94 years to cram everything in. While the alums who frequent this site clearly love the basketball team, I venture to say that it was, and is, primarily the academic quality of the University that drives our tangible affection and allegiance for all of Duke. The membership of Dr. Franklin in the Duke community is just one more visible example of the breadth and vitality of intellect and curiosity that inhabit the place.

The conduct and accomplishment of the basketball team and coaches always reflects Duke well on a very wide and visible stage. Those other members of the university, like Franklin, who represent academic achievement and intellectual vigor, bridge those qualities to a wider audience, and contribute insight and stimulus to the entire planet.

That said, Go Devils and beat the hell out of 'Nova. I would venture to say that Dr. Franklin will be wearing some Duke garb on Thursday night.