PDA

View Full Version : Mascots

DukeDevil
03-25-2009, 03:10 PM
I found this entertaining. Thought of the off topic board but it's still tourney related...mods if this is more OT board feel free to move.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-college-basketball-mascots-pg,0,806461.photogallery
A slideshow of all the mascots in the tournament. Am I alone in thinking the UCONN mascot is a little...weak? It looks like a guy going to a furry convention...(see number 25)
edit: upon further review they're not all in the tournament...it's just mascots across the country.

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I found this entertaining. Thought of the off topic board but it's still tourney related...mods if this is more OT board feel free to move.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-college-basketball-mascots-pg,0,806461.photogallery
A slideshow of all the mascots in the tournament. Am I alone in thinking the UCONN mascot is a little...weak? It looks like a guy going to a furry convention...(see number 25)
edit: upon further review they're not all in the tournament...it's just mascots across the country.

"Jonathan, the UConn Huskies mascot"??? That's too funny.

TheRose77
03-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Jonathan, the UConn mascot was named after Jonathan Trumbull, a governor during the Revolutionary War. I'm willing to bet he would think it looks a little "weak" too.

Jim3k
03-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Historical note: Aside from mascot silliness, Gov. Trumbull was the American spy known as 'Brother Jonathan' during the Revolution. His contributions to the Revolution were game-changing. Not surprising that UConn honors him.

DukeFencer
03-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Rameses looks ripped, like he could kick the Blue Devil's butt in a fight. Anyone remember a couple years ago when the Blue Devil and "Rameses" came into Cameron during Duke-UNC and the Blue Devil beat him up?

The new devil would lose :( They should at least make his head bigger! A mascot is nothing without a big head.

boyce
03-28-2009, 10:17 PM
Here's the video of Scheyer saving that lost ball at the end of the Texas game. There's one thing my son noticed in the background that's just priceless though. At about 1:29, where Scheyer saves the ball, on the sidelines you see the Texas mascot fall to his knees and cover his head:

http://tinyurl.com/c4epwn
-------------------------------------------------

-Boyce

Capn Poptart
03-28-2009, 10:48 PM
You see one feline mascot, you seen 'em all!

And the Boilermaker looks kind of possessed or something, like an empty-eyed zombie soldier of the undead.

I disagree about the Blue Devil - the new one has attitude; the old giant-headed guy was a major goofball doofus.

Devil in the Blue Dress
03-28-2009, 11:29 PM
You see one feline mascot, you seen 'em all!

And the Boilermaker looks kind of possessed or something, like an empty-eyed zombie soldier of the undead.

I disagree about the Blue Devil - the new one has attitude; the old giant-headed guy was a major goofball doofus.

I have to agree with you about the updated Blue Devil!

When I saw the photos of Mike the Tiger (LSU) and Bevo the Longhorn (Texas), I had to laugh at how comical the indoor versions look.

Mike VI is a beautiful Bengal/Siberian mix that will weigh 600 - 700 pounds when he reaches five years of age some time next year. In the old days, the resident Mike's cage was placed so that the visiting football team had to pass very close by it to get into the stadium. One of the Mikes was trained to roar on command, a scary experience for the visitors. Mike VI lives in a beautiful habitat on campus and can be seen day or night on his web page's web cams.

Bevo XIII is the real thing..... a Texas Longhorn. One of the fraternities attired in chaps manages him with a cattle prod at the home football games. He has his own trailer for travel to and from games.

DukeFencer
03-28-2009, 11:32 PM
It's not the expression on his face that's bad, it's the size of his head - it's almost normal sized, which just makes him look ridiculous. Besides, big heads are one of the staples of mascots. And yes, maybe it's ridiculous looking, but the mascot's sole purpose is to pump up the crowds at various sporting events, and without a big head it's just some kid in a mask looking ridiculous. Much better that it's the head itself that is ridiculous.

It is considerably less impressive to see the mascot do the kinds of stunts he does with a small head - surfing over the trombones, doing flips and such - that's not so impressive. Doing those things WITH a large head, now that takes talent.

The commercial about the Nike shoes with Coach K and the mascot - that would have been an amazing commercial... if the mascot had a bigger head. Coach K talking to someone in a mask, not funny. Coach K talking to someone with a ginormous Devil's head... that's funny.

OldSchool
03-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Some funny mascots in there...

The Oklahoma State Cowboy looks like he needs to lay off the Marlboros

For some reason, to me a fight between Otto the Orange and Mr. Met would be hilarious

Rameses looks a little TOO jacked, has someone checked his locker for needles?

Yes, Blue Devil needs a bigger head

San Diego State needs a serious mascot upgrade, that looks like someone's bad Halloween costume

Goldy the Gopher doing the "Exorcist"-head-spinning-around trick seems a little creepy

Were the W Ky Hilltoppers a little too literal with the mascot costume? I mean, the top of a hill?

Capn Poptart
03-29-2009, 01:11 AM
It's not the expression on his face that's bad, it's the size of his head - it's almost normal sized, which just makes him look ridiculous. Besides, big heads are one of the staples of mascots. And yes, maybe it's ridiculous looking, but the mascot's sole purpose is to pump up the crowds at various sporting events, and without a big head it's just some kid in a mask looking ridiculous. Much better that it's the head itself that is ridiculous.

It is considerably less impressive to see the mascot do the kinds of stunts he does with a small head - surfing over the trombones, doing flips and such - that's not so impressive. Doing those things WITH a large head, now that takes talent.

The commercial about the Nike shoes with Coach K and the mascot - that would have been an amazing commercial... if the mascot had a bigger head. Coach K talking to someone in a mask, not funny. Coach K talking to someone with a ginormous Devil's head... that's funny.

You really liked the movie The Elephant Man, didn't you?

weezie
03-29-2009, 12:41 PM
The Radford Highlander with the kilt and war braids was pretty cool.