PDA

View Full Version : (Alleged) Recruiting violation at UConn

hc5duke
03-25-2009, 04:11 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ys-uconnphone032509

Probe: UConn violated NCAA rules
The University of Connecticut violated NCAA rules in the recruitment of former guard Nate Miles, a six-month investigation by Yahoo! Sports has found.
Miles was provided with lodging, transportation, restaurant meals and representation by Josh Nochimson – a professional sports agent and former UConn student manager – between 2006 and 2008, according to multiple sources. A UConn assistant coach said he made Nochimson aware of the Huskies' recruitment of Miles. Later, the assistant coach said he knew that Nochimson and Miles had talked... The relationship and UConn’s knowledge of the situation are potential major NCAA violations.

and on top of that:

In December of 2006, for instance, former UConn assistant coach Tom Moore made 27 calls to Miles's guardian
Miles was expelled from the university in October 2008 for violating a restraining order brought by a female student
[former UConn student manager and the man in the middle of all this] Nochimson filed paperwork with the NBA Players Association to decertify himself as an agent in June 2008 after UConn All-American and Detroit Pistons star Richard Hamilton fired him as his business manager and accused him of stealing more than $1 million.

I'm still reading the rest of the article (it's very long), but everyone involved comes off as very shady, and Calhoun is no exception. This seems like a pretty serious violation if the allegations hold up.

FireOgilvie
03-25-2009, 04:24 AM
Wow... and right in the middle of a potential championship run. Even if the allegations don't amount to anything, which is unlikely, it still really hurts.

Lulu
03-25-2009, 05:15 AM
Have to wonder if, when, or ever this will break on the likes of ESPN.

So I guess we've got NBA agents out there recruiting kids to schools, and in return signing those players when they embark on their NBA career. That assumes there are no blatant payoffs.

bdh21
03-25-2009, 08:14 AM
More D1 schools blatantly cheat today than baseball players used steroids 5 years ago. It's a real shame that Yahoo is the only organization making any attempt to expose the situation. Hello NCAA? Where are you?

rthomas
03-25-2009, 08:27 AM
a six-month investigation by Yahoo! Sports has found.

Say what?

davekay1971
03-25-2009, 09:11 AM

Sorry, ESPN's running the top headline that UNC's Lawson (toe) will play against Gonzaga. They're staying away from fluffy UConn recruiting violation pieces to keep bringing us the hard, incisive news reporting we've come to expect from the Worldwide Leader...

Duvall
03-25-2009, 09:17 AM

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on ESPN to report on any possible wrongdoing from Connecticut's only professional sports franchise.

BlueDevilBaby
03-25-2009, 09:31 AM
Why is Thabeet shady?

BlueintheFace
03-25-2009, 09:40 AM
ESPN is on it... now the question is, how big will this get during the NCAA tourney weekly news cycles?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4014188

rthomas
03-25-2009, 09:47 AM
yea, Gottlieb says no biggy, every school does it.

wilson
03-25-2009, 11:41 AM
It's been in regular rotation all morning on both ESPN and ESPN2. Seems like it's got some legs, and there is of course more of the story to be told.

I just can't wait until some reporter asks Calhoun about it during postgame...

Devilsfan
03-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Maybe that's why he was in the hospital during their opening round game.

Tjenkins
03-25-2009, 11:53 AM
Connecticut's local paper picked up the story:
http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/men/hc-web-uconn-miles-0326mar26,0,3720833.story

Some of the comments are interesting.

Tjenkins
03-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Just turned on Jim Rome, this is his lead story.

RelativeWays
03-25-2009, 12:10 PM
Remeber when Chris Collins going to that holiday tourney during a no visitation time was the lead story a few month back and it was nothing? Now we have some possible serious violations, it gets kicked to the back page with Doug the dweeb Gottlieb saying its no biggie. All because its UConn the new sacred cow.
Its just like the media made such a huge deal about Duke's supposed decline, ye the new sacred cow also hasn't been to a sweet 16 since 06, didn't make the field in 07 and was bounced in the 2nd round last year when a lot of people expected them to upset UCLA. This is why I hate UConn, far more than I will ever hate UNC. If UConn lost its basketball program, I would not miss it at all.

-bdbd
03-25-2009, 12:54 PM
And here it is on CNN/SI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/mens-tournament/03/25/miles/index.html

I love the part where it mentions that Miles left the school AFTER VIOLATING A RESTRAINING ORDER.... Ugh! Good grief! This from the school that brought you players who steal laptops from fellow students and are caught selling the out in town. (And after insisting that only HE could deal appropriately with dicipling the kid, he ends up suspending him from just a handful of meaningless early season games...) And so-on, and so-on. "UCON(victs)" sounds about right.

Gotta say, though, this is not the first time stories of UCONN recruiting infractions have surfaced in recent years. Poor Calhoun -- he's just so misunderstood... NOT! Anybody want to ask him again about what he makes ($$)? (reporter a couple months ago then got torn a new one my Calhoun in mid-Press Conference) These guys may take the crown in terms of teams to root against!!

In Connecticut, the beat just goes on, and on, and on.

-BDBD :mad:

geraldsneighbor
03-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Well ESPN has certainly ran with this...

blueprofessor
03-25-2009, 01:03 PM
And here it is on CNN/SI:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/mens-tournament/03/25/miles/index.html

Gotta say, though, this is not the first time stories of UCONN recruiting infractions have surfaced in recent years. Poor Calhoun -- he's just so misunderstood.

In Connecticut, the beat just goes on, and on, and on.

-BDBD :mad:

http://www.realclearsports.com/blog/2009/03/uconn-recruiting-violations.html

Best--Blueprof:D

BD80
03-25-2009, 01:47 PM
There was speculation earlier in the week that Calhoun might resign at the end of this year, potentially like Al McQuire - with a championship. He has health issues and is losing key seniors Adrian, Austrie and Price. He is also likely to lose Thabeet.

I dislike Calhoun for many reasons, including the big money payments to AAU clubs for exhibition games that had recruits on the squad. Not illegal then, but soooo shady. Paying an AAU team via exhibition games to deliver recruits has now been prohibited.

RelativeWays
03-25-2009, 01:49 PM
As Cajun Man would say:

SuspiSHON

InvestigaSHON

AccusaSHON

ProbaSHON

Post season suspenSHON

Scholarship revocaSHON

possible terminaSHON

much jubilaSHON

roywhite
03-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Since I've felt that Calhoun and UConn push the envelope on various aspects of recruiting and player discipline (or lack of), I don't mind seeing them squirm under the bright lights of a scandal investigation.

But what I'd really like to see....is for Duke to beat the Huskies on the court. We owe these guys big time!

BD80
03-25-2009, 01:57 PM
NO HARM NO FOUL!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9378414/UConn-responds-to-report-of-recruiting-violations

Since Miles never played at uConn, there is no issue here. Cough (BS) Cough.

Hate. Red-hot seething hate.

Rich
03-25-2009, 02:00 PM
yea, Gottlieb says no biggy, every school does it.

As heard on ESPN a few minutes ago, Bilas said the same thing.

allenmurray
03-25-2009, 02:05 PM
"Standards? We ain't got no standardss. We don't need no standards! I don't have to show you any stinkin' standards!"

blueprofessor
03-25-2009, 03:08 PM
"Standards? We ain't got no standardss. We don't need no standards! I don't have to show you any stinkin' standards!"

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/If-you-were-Jim-Calhoun-would-you-retire-?urn=ncaab,150452

Refers to breaking scandal...no word of ESPN lackeys' (you know who)
attempts to muffle the scandal.:D

Best--Blueprof :)

blueprofessor
03-25-2009, 03:20 PM
UConv statement on scandal issued from San Quentin , San Rafael,CA:
http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/men/hc-uconn-nate-miles-ncaa-statement-0325,0,6035056.story

Rapid response team with a whole lot of experience!:D

UConnJack
03-25-2009, 03:54 PM
The only difference between UConn and 90% of other Division I football and basketball teams regarding this type of NCAA violation, is that UConn got caught. I'm not saying its right or that I condone it, and I am obviously disappointed with my program because it does look like they broke some rules, but its kind of hard for me to get too judgmental considering the entire NCAA system of rules is broken and hypocritical, and that these kind of infractions are commonplace and even expected in Division I basketball and football.

I'm sure the flame throwers are lighting up to torch me right now, but I fear (and I'm sure most here hope) that UConn is going to made an example of by the NCAA for this. Fairly from the standpoint that it does look like they broke the rules, but unfairly from the standpoint that it IS a widespread type of infraction for which they are going to be singled out. My guess is the only reason UConn specifically is getting nailed on this right now is because someone in the Nate Mile's camp is PO'ed at UConn for expelling him over his legal issues earlier in the year and tipped off and is helping reporters.

BD80
03-25-2009, 05:16 PM
The only difference between UConn and 90% of other Division I football and basketball teams regarding this type of NCAA violation, is that UConn got caught. ... the entire NCAA system of rules is broken and hypocritical, and that these kind of infractions are commonplace and even expected in Division I basketball and football.

... My guess is the only reason UConn specifically is getting nailed on this right now is because someone in the Nate Mile's camp is PO'ed at UConn for expelling him over his legal issues earlier in the year and tipped off and is helping reporters.

I seriously doubt that boosters providing benefits such as travel expenses, meals and lodging to players is widespread. I guess the distinction is that if "many" schools are regularly in contact with agent-types who are providing such benefits to players, uCon's mistake was getting involved with one such scum that had ties to uCon.

What I think is being swept under the rug is that uCon KNEW the middleman was an agent! This guy was uCon alum Rip Hamilton's agent, who made news by ripping off Rip! How do you deal with a kid that already has a relationship with an agent?!?

Frankly, uCon invited this problem by operating on the edge and dealing with kids (and posses) of questionable character. Calhoun long ago used up his good will with the parade of criminals and the tens of thousands of dollars to AAU coaches. I am frankly surprised that Calhoun is getting so much of a pass on this, with reactions such as "if this is happening at uConn, it must be widespread." Horsecrap. Calhoun is just slimey.

The excessive phonecalls is a searate issue that has a precedent for punishment. That is just stupid on his staff's part, and perhaps an indication that there is widespread cheating within the program or a lack of institutional control.

SoCalDukeFan
03-25-2009, 08:36 PM
Calhoun was just trying to get the kid a chance. Sure he had been to 5 high schools band had a troubled upbringing. Jim C was hoping he would straighten out and was giving him the opportunity like he has to so many others.

Something like this is hard to explain to a kid. So it took thousands of emails, phone calls, text messages etc. The NCAA needs to look at their rules. The Duke coaches recruit kids who are good citizens and are good students. One visit or two and the program can be explained to those kids. Its harder for the players Jim seems to want.

We should be more understanding. Jim C has tried to help others. Sure it does not always work out. It is also a little tough on the other students who get their laptops stolen and even assaulted, but that is the price that University students have to pay to be part of a great program.

Obviously someone who was close to the program, like a former manager, will understand it and be able to explain it to recruit. So it was natural for the staff to introduce them to each other. Only trying to help the kid. The pesky detail that he was an agent should not be a big issue. And how was Calhoun supposed to know the agent was giving the kid and his friends/family favors or whatever.

Lastly, the kid never even played a minute for the UConnvicts so whats the big deal?

SoCal

dukemsu
03-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Funny that Gottlieb says it's no big deal. If anyone knows about illegal phone calls, it's Gottlieb from his nonsense at Notre Dame.

I found it interesting that ESPN talked about this at all, given their propensity for sweeping anything negative about the Connvicts under the rug. Really wasn't expecting Forde's follow-up. I seriously doubt that this will distract them from the task at hand, though. If anything, it gives Calhoun fodder for Us Against The World motivation. I wouldn't want to be Purdue tomorrow. Actually, I wouldn't want to be Purdue any day.

It also sets up an easy exit for Calhoun, which was probably coming anyway, given the massive losses awaiting the Connvicts due to eligibility running out or NBA defections, and Calhoun's health problems (wish him the best). Paging Mr. Leitao....

dukemsu

Devilsfan
03-25-2009, 10:20 PM
No! I think they need Sampson if Galey would only write a resume for him.

Devilhawks
03-25-2009, 11:02 PM
Connecticut's local paper picked up the story:
http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/men/hc-web-uconn-miles-0326mar26,0,3720833.story

Some of the comments are interesting.

Agreed about the comments... it looks like we aren't the only major basketball program that operates "behind enemy lines" to some extent

dukebluelemur
03-25-2009, 11:26 PM
Is there any chance this could have an impact on the outcome of this season.. if, god forbid, the University of Corrupticut manages to win it all, would they possibly forfeit it?

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-26-2009, 12:45 AM
Is there any chance this could have an impact on the outcome of this season.. if, god forbid, the University of Corrupticut manages to win it all, would they possibly forfeit it?

Simple answer is no, that would look terrible for the NCAA. Imagine they talk up this tournament and market it all year and put it on this month. It is a major money maker to do all of that and then strip the team that just won it of the title would be horrible for them, and could possibly have lasting effects on the sport itself as far as the casual fanbase who just tunes in during march goes.

Airforcedukie

Greg_Newton
03-26-2009, 01:30 AM
I seriously doubt that this will distract them from the task at hand, though. If anything, it gives Calhoun fodder for Us Against The World motivation.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus... however, the one (perhaps somewhat taboo) point I haven't heard anyone raise is the possibility that this was not an isolated incident. I am by no means assuming that this is the case, BUT:

In the scenario that I am a current UConn player who received similar treatment during my recruitment (even if it was just an extra text from Calhoun here and there) it's got to enter my mind that the program is going to be investigated by the NCAA, and I'm going to be wondering whether I'll find myself in any trouble down the road. In that scenario (and again, I'm not saying this is the case, but...) if I'm a 19-20 year old kid with the weight of the world on my shoulders and my long-term earnings potential depending partly on my image, this development would certainly stress me out if I was even a little iffy bit on the legality of my own recruiting. Probably much more so than any by of the other reasons being discussed by analysts (dealing with reporters, potentially questioning my coaching staff), to be honest.

Just a thought.

davekay1971
03-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Simple answer is no, that would look terrible for the NCAA. Imagine they talk up this tournament and market it all year and put it on this month. It is a major money maker to do all of that and then strip the team that just won it of the title would be horrible for them, and could possibly have lasting effects on the sport itself as far as the casual fanbase who just tunes in during march goes.

Airforcedukie

I think you're right. The fact that Miles never played a game won't protect Calhoun and UConn from sanctions for recruiting violations, but it will protect them from having games/titles forfeited. The NCAA will be more than happy to slap sanctions on the school (Calhoun will exit stage left, letting someone else clean up his mess, because that's how he rolls), but the NCAA won't won't want to get into the morass of taking away wins or titles.

Of course, they SHOULD be taking a hard look at the recruiting of players currently on the team AND the recruiting practices of the Calhoun regime which currently holds the 1999 and 2004 championship titles...won by players whos recruitment was **possibly** aided by circumvention of rules.

As a Duke fan, if you're counting, those would be two more banners that would be hanging from the Cameron rafters right now (okay, technically we still had to face Ga Tech in 2004, but still...).

blueprofessor
03-26-2009, 08:38 AM
Mike Vaccaro's strong NY Post article: 1565 calls or texts between Nochimson and UCon coaches ,including (16) Calhoun himself.
Other new info.

blueprofessor
03-26-2009, 08:46 AM
http://jay-mariotti.fanhouse.com/2009/03/25/uconn-legacy-in-doubt-after-scandal/

Questions what will become of UCon's legacy.
How far back did this pattern begin?

blueprofessor
03-26-2009, 09:10 AM
:

In the scenario that I am a current UConn player who received similar treatment during my recruitment (even if it was just an extra text from Calhoun here and there) it's got to enter my mind that the program is going to be investigated by the NCAA, and I'm going to be wondering whether I'll find myself in any trouble down the road. In that scenario (and again, I'm not saying this is the case, but...) if I'm a 19-20 year old kid with the weight of the world on my shoulders and my long-term earnings potential depending partly on my image, this development would certainly stress me out if I was even a little iffy bit on the legality of my own recruiting. Probably much more so than any by of the other reasons being discussed by analysts (dealing with reporters, potentially questioning my coaching staff), to be honest.

Just a thought.

While this article suggests UCon won't be distracted, I seriously doubt it.
This behavior was within an egregious pattern that begs for an accurate finding as to when this alleged misconduct began.5 years ago? 10 years ago?
Even if a player may not have been aware of any misconduct in his particular case, would it not be natural for him to consider how the team's stars came to UCon?
No matter what nonsense Calhoun is using to control their minds, the players are exposed to 24/7 media coverage.
The coaches and players are worrying about these matters.

See this article:http://www.courant.com/sports/college/basketball/hc-webucmen0326mar26,0,3362176.story

TravisMcGee
03-26-2009, 10:27 AM
NO HARM NO FOUL!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9378414/UConn-responds-to-report-of-recruiting-violations

Since Miles never played at uConn, there is no issue here. Cough (BS) Cough.

Hate. Red-hot seething hate.

Hey Gang,

I don't post often -- Maryland guy -- but I thought I'd chime in.

Calhoun has picked the Turtles pockets on several occasions, most notably Rudy Gay and to a lesser degree Jerome Dyson and a few others, so I've got a bit of an ax to grind......

I'm no insider and this is definitely third hand but I have two friends that give big bucks to the athletic department and they "hear things." The whispers I get are that the NCAA has started looking into the recruitment of Ater Majok, a kid that Maryland was very interested in. Supposedly, the they are going to find a very similar situation to the Miles recruitment but the difference is Ater is actually on the team (although not currently eligible to play). Many of the same names and "M.O." were at play. So, take it with a grain of salt but I would expect there will be other "shoes to fall" before this is all over.

I'll get back to lurking.........

Saratoga2
03-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Hey Gang,

Calhoun has picked the Turtles pockets on several occasions, most notably Rudy Gay and to a lesser degree Jerome Dyson and a few others, so I've got a bit of an ax to grind......

I'm no insider and this is definitely third hand but I have two friends that give big bucks to the athletic department and they "hear things." The whispers I get are that the NCAA has started looking into the recruitment of Ater Majok, a kid that Maryland was very interested in. Supposedly, the they are going to find a very similar situation to the Miles recruitment but the difference is Ater is actually on the team (although not currently eligible to play). Many of the same names and "M.O." were at play. So, take it with a grain of salt but I would expect there will be other "shoes to fall" before this is all over.

Yesterday Forde was on ESPN reporting that there were other recruiting violations that were aimed at Majok. This story and Miles together really shed a dim light on UCONN recruiting. Time will tell if UCONN is the prime example of an NCAA violator or just trying to help some kids. My guess is the former.

CTDukeFan
03-26-2009, 01:50 PM
I found it interesting that the UCon response that was headlined everywhere mentioned only mentioned that they had cleared Miles' recruitment with the NCAA. Nothing about the extra contacts (I doubt they cleared that with the NCAA first ;) ).

Tjenkins
03-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Here's another column from the Hartford Courant about the Yahoo investigation:

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/men/hc-jeffcol0326.artmar26,0,6280232.column

blueprofessor
03-26-2009, 03:29 PM
I found it interesting that the UCon response that was headlined everywhere mentioned only mentioned that they had cleared Miles' recruitment with the NCAA. Nothing about the extra contacts (I doubt they cleared that with the NCAA first ;) ).

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9380510/NCAA-wants-no-part-of-ending-the-corruption?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=99

Refers to UCon.

Best-Blueprof :)

NYDukie
03-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Doesn't UCONN remind you a bit of UNLV? Kind of the east coast version or lil brother type of those old Jerry Tarkanian teams? Maybe not quite to that level but close w/ the coach always getting cranky with the media defending his ways. Always seems to be something shady coming out of Storrs the past 3-5 years!

hurleyfor3
03-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Doesn't UCONN remind you a bit of UNLV?

I've called them UConNLV for quite some time.

That said, all this vitriol towards its program (of which I am guilty at times) pretty much establishes they're our rival.

NYDukie
03-26-2009, 03:59 PM
And Calhoun is making Calipari look like a choir boy rather than a used car salesman down at Memphis, too!

BD80
03-26-2009, 04:18 PM

No, they cleared Miles' ELIGIBILITY with the NCAA. Meaning his grades and courses at the five or so high schools he attended. I seriously doubt there was any communication with the NCAA regarding his recruitment.

The investigation could get ugly. The NCAA will investigate:

1) Contacts with recruits - including current players. I have wondered if the NCAA has the ability to compel private phone records of the coaching staff. Given the Sampson fiasco, this will be a high profile issue.

2) Benefits to recruits - including current players. I don't think the NCAA has much power to compel info from the recruits, but there could be some willing to talk. This could be a problem if for the eligibility of the players. Knowledge by uCon is relevant to the sanctions.

3) Activities by Josh Nochimson as a booster for uCon. He should not be having ANY contacts with recruits. They will be looking into ALL benefits given and contacts by Nochimson. This will be interesting, I don't think Nochimson can be compelled to cooperate, but they will be able to track his history of contacts with the program (tickets for games and the like). Nochimson was an agent for Rip Hamilton sinceat lseat 2006 (and his personal assistant since 1999), so there could be a wide range of issues with recruits or players receiving improper benefits (even things like tickets to NBA games). It sounds like Nochimson was actively recruiting "talent." This could get really ugly.

diesel
03-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Hey Gang,

Lurk away, Turtle guy. But I must say this. This makes Gary Williams look good. He refuses to have anything to do with the slime in the AAU (?) (network). And we can now contrast his upstanding behavior with that of Calhoun--coach of Laptop Price and the other UConnvicts.

Go Gary!

blueprofessor
03-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Jeff Jacobs: Hartford Courant: "Greed, Arrogance...."

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/husky/men/hc-jeffcol0326.artmar26,0,6280232.column

Turning against Calhoun...

blueprofessor
03-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Ian O'Connor of The Record: spill,Calhoun!
http://www.northjersey.com/sports/OConnor_Mt_Calhoun_should_spill_his_guts.html

Greg_Newton
03-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Jeff Jacobs: Hartford Courant: "Greed, Arrogance...."

Turning against Calhoun...

Interesting to read all of the comments on this story. I would say by a 10-to-1 ratio they are UConn supporters hurling personal insults at the author and completely ignoring the issues with the program.

UConnJack
03-27-2009, 09:49 AM
As I said before, I am not proud of what is happening at UConn. I have always assumed that UConn may have used some questionable recruiting practices, just as I am quite sure that questionable activities have been employed in nearly EVERY Division I basketball and football program. But these allegations are potentially more egregious than your usual run-of-the-mill infractions.

That said, although Duke does have a "squeaky clean" reputation, I wouldn't be so quick to mount my high horse as it seems most here are. Duke hasn't been nailed with any serious infractions yet, but there have been enough questionable situations that convince me (and many others, including the authors of the Yahoo UConn piece for that matter) that Duke has their share of skeletons as well. Duke is probably cleaner than most, but I highly doubt they are innocent by any stretch of the imagination.

The Corey Magette/Pigge situation, the Jay Williams/Kevin Love relationship (true, this isn't directly Duke, but he learned the real "ways" of college recruiting somewhere), and especially the Duke booster help in getting jobs for Duhon and Boozer's parents. Serious issues? No. But enough to convince me that Duke plays the game like every other school out there. They are just better at keeping it in the shadows. The windows in Duke’s house may have better tinting, but it’s still a glass house.

And BTW, congrats on a good season. I would have loved yet another UConn vs. Duke matchup in the finals this year (or at least another UNC-Duke battle), but as you found out, there are some tough teams in the BE this year. While a Big East Final Four is possible and would be pretty cool from my perspective, it scares me. I don't want to play any of them again.

davekay1971
03-27-2009, 11:19 AM
That said, although Duke does have a "squeaky clean" reputation, I wouldn't be so quick to mount my high horse as it seems most here are. Duke hasn't been nailed with any serious infractions yet, but there have been enough questionable situations that convince me (and many others, including the authors of the Yahoo UConn piece for that matter) that Duke has their share of skeletons as well. Duke is probably cleaner than most, but I highly doubt they are innocent by any stretch of the imagination.

The Corey Magette/Pigge situation, the Jay Williams/Kevin Love relationship (true, this isn't directly Duke, but he learned the real "ways" of college recruiting somewhere), and especially the Duke booster help in getting jobs for Duhon and Boozer's parents. Serious issues? No. But enough to convince me that Duke plays the game like every other school out there. They are just better at keeping it in the shadows. The windows in Duke’s house may have better tinting, but it’s still a glass house.

You're assuming a bunch. The Magette situation has been pretty well investigated and the ultimate finding was that Coach K and his staff weren't knowingly involved in any rules violations. The JWill situation has nothing to do with Duke recruiting and, if you read JWill's statements, reveal, if anything, his naivete about the "real ways" of college recruiting. As for the parents, you may look at that as a "you scratch my back..." deal, but it doesn't come close to violating any NCAA rule.

I'm sure Duke recruits as aggressively as anybody, and I hope they do everything they can within the rules to land good recruits. If the rules need to be changed, that's another matter entirely.

All major college basketball programs live in glass houses. There are a ton of sportswriters who would love to make a name by breaking a story about seedy/illegal recruiting by Duke, UNC, or any of the other basketball blue bloods. The fact that, despite ever increasing media scrutiny, the Magette situation is the most questionable situation that has come up in close to 25 years of Duke being a top basketball program implies strongly that the Duke program actually stays within the rules. As Calhoun is finding out, keeping your dirty program "in the shadows" only works for so long.

TravisMcGee
03-27-2009, 12:04 PM
As I said before, I am not proud of what is happening at UConn. I have always assumed that UConn may have used some questionable recruiting practices, just as I am quite sure that questionable activities have been employed in nearly EVERY Division I basketball and football program. But these allegations are potentially more egregious than your usual run-of-the-mill infractions.

And BTW, congrats on a good season. I would have loved yet another UConn vs. Duke matchup in the finals this year (or at least another UNC-Duke battle), but as you found out, there are some tough teams in the BE this year. While a Big East Final Four is possible and would be pretty cool from my perspective, it scares me. I don't want to play any of them again.

"But DAAAaaaAAADDy, Mikey was running too!" Sounds like one of my 4 year old's excuses. Face it, Jiimmy C-note has had his hand in the cookie jar for a loooong time and his little rant about his salary may have tracked in a little more dirt than he can sweep under the rug. I wonder how his endearing personality is going to hold up under the microscope?

As a Terp, I just want to say that if Gary is, "play(ing) the game like every other school out there," then he certainly has proven that he isn't very good at it! It doesn't take a bag man to land a 6'5" overweight center! :D

BD80
03-27-2009, 02:08 PM
... The Magette situation has been pretty well investigated and the ultimate finding was that Coach K and his staff weren't knowingly involved in any rules violations...

It was shown that Coach K was ignorant of Magette receiving benefits. Any benefits Magette did receive occurred prior to Duke actively recruiting Magette.

This is why Calhoun is a better CEO of a major college basketball brand. He gets one of his people inside to MAKE SURE the recruit is getting benefits. He cares enough to personally call his inside guy every other day or so to make sure the recruit is happy with his benefits. He cares enough to have an assistant coach call the recruit every day or better to make sure the kid is happy. That is the effort that ensures final four talent!

I feel a bit like I did when Bonds was closing in on Aaron's homerun record. Calhoun is a cheater (exorbitantly paying the AAU programs that deliver key recruits for "exhibitions") and doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Coach K. I forget which writer compared the current incident to a husband being accused of going to a strip club when he has been sleeping with all of the other women in the neighborhood.

dukemsu
03-28-2009, 02:09 AM
The only thing more embarassing than fans saying "everyone does this" is the performance of Calhoun at his press conference today in which he blamed the NCAA and their 508 page rule book for what appears to be an appalling pattern of violation. For his arrogance and bullying tactics, I hope the NCAA throws its 508 page book directly at Calhoun.

People called Bob Knight a bully, justifiably so. He has nothing on Calhoun.

I hope Mizzou beats 'em by 15 and then Calhoun has to either face the music or run to retirement. I would be ashamed of my coach for that sort of arrogrance if Calhoun were my team's coach. And I am thankful that he is not.

dukemsu

devildeac
03-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Hey Gang,

Stop lurking-keep posting:D

grossbus
03-28-2009, 11:34 AM
this seems to get worse and more involved with each passing day.

BobbyFan
03-28-2009, 12:01 PM

Wow...this is your logic? Really? That's a heck of an assumption to make. I'm afraid the only tinting is on your glasses.

grossbus
03-28-2009, 01:10 PM
"Nochimson was known as quite the facilitator. Khalid El-Amin and his wife lived with him at UConn. Think about the absurdity of that arrangement for a moment. He got close to Hamilton, eventually becoming his personal assistant and business manager. He later became an agent for Luol Deng, former UConn player Ajou Deng's brother."

oh great, he helped "facilitate" luol away. guess we got hammered by uconnvict and their "facilitators" twice in 2004.

BD80
03-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Dennis Dodd at CBS sports screws up his facts:

Nochimson reportedly had improper contact with Miles while still a student manager. ...

Since Nochimson left uCon with Rip in '99, this probably isn't accurate. The issue is whether a former manager, given his specific contacts with the program since his tenure with the program, qualifies as "a representative of the university's athletic interests."

Dodd does get this right:

In perhaps the most revealing statement since Wednesday, Calhoun said: "It's not my job to know what every human being who graduated from UConn is doing every single moment of the day, 24 hours a day."

OK coach, you don't have to know what every single grad was doing, but how about your former manager you who talked to on a regular basis, and who your top assistant introduced to the key recruit in question?

This isn't a question of interpreting some obscure, inane rule out of the 400+ page book, this is one of those "Top Ten Things Not to Do as a Coach" rules.

Don't go away mad Coach, just go away.

-jk
03-28-2009, 04:21 PM
I find it astonishing that a coach who's (infamously) paid $1.5 million can't take the time to learn a 500 page book that's part of the job description.

-jk

grossbus
03-28-2009, 04:52 PM
I find it astonishing that a coach who's (infamously) paid $1.5 million can't take the time to learn a 500 page book that's part of the job description.

-jk

or assign that task to someone.

ignorance ain't gonna be a legit excuse.

Saratoga2
03-28-2009, 11:03 PM
or assign that task to someone.

ignorance ain't gonna be a legit excuse.

When you find one violation, you might say it is an oversight and practice forgiveness. When you find a number of serious violations, it is time to investigate the entire program, including all of the players on the team. Where there is disregard for the rules, they may have been bent over and over again over a period of years. UCONN appears to be in that position and at the same time may be going to the national title game. Imagine how the NCAA will look if sometime in the future it is determined that UCONN operated with disregard for the rules which other teams have been following.

Owen Meany
03-29-2009, 10:45 AM
The Corey Magette/Pigge situation, the Jay Williams/Kevin Love relationship (true, this isn't directly Duke, but he learned the real "ways" of college recruiting somewhere), and especially the Duke booster help in getting jobs for Duhon and Boozer's parents.

Corey Maggette was never considered a "questionable", and Indiana and Stanford were the other finalists for his services. UNC recruited him as well. Clearly, no one anticipated problems with Corey.

I realize you aren't a UNC fan, but it blows my mind that UNC fans love to bring this up, given the fact that Myron Piggie was funded by Kansas booster Tom Grant. The same booster who "admits he gave JaRon Rush tens of thousands of dollars in cash, gifts, including a Geo Tracker, and tuition to attend a Kansas City prep school." This is the same Jaron Rush who verbally committed to Kansas, but whose mother refused to sign the binding letter of intent.

I think Jason Williams showed poor judgment and clearly was in over his head and didn't know exactly what he was getting into. To his credit, he removed himself from this situation, and did so before anyone was questioning him. As far as learning "the real 'ways' of college recruiting somewhere" - I have no idea what this is supposed to mean. First of all, Williams was recruited by dozens upon dozens of schools, so Duke would in no way be more responsible for his "learning" than anyone else. Secondly, not only was he not recruiting a kid to a school, he was doing the exact opposite -he was working at an agency that was attempting to lure kids AWAY from school. These guys are the schools biggest threat. I think its a safe bet that no one and Duke taught him that.

The "Duhon's mom/Boozer's dad got jobs from boosters" claim has become something of an urban legend. First of all, there is not one scintilla of evidence that either parent obtained their job from a booster. To your credit, you're the first person I've seen repeat these claims without referring to them as "cushy" jobs - but that is a central part of the claim. After all, you don't lure away top 10 ball players with promises of average paying jobs (particularly one living deep in L$U country).

An ex-employee who worked with Duhon's mom claimed that she earned "more than $35,000". One source for the article was a disgruntled ex-employee who was suing the company for sexual harassment. Her own supervisor said for the record that Mrs. Harper was "more than qualified". Incidentally, the company's founder is not a Duke graduate. (He received his JD from NCCU.) He does, however, "own an autographed basketball signed by the 1991 Duke championship team".

Boozer's dad had originally claimed he earned $120,000, which the original article accepted as fact. A followup in another paper discovered he earned less than 1/3 that and lost his job when his division relocated to another facility. Had this job been a "pay off", I'm pretty sure the company would have retained Mr. Boozer. Interestingly, critics leave out these "corrections" when they quote the original article.

They also fail to note that "GSK is one of the largest private employers in the Raleigh-Durham area, with operations in RTP and Zebulon that employ 6000 workers" (bizjournal, in 2008 after layoffs, etc of previous years). The CEO of GSK explained that Boozer approached him at a game and asked if GSK was hiring. Oh yeah, this was 3 months after Mr. Boozer had moved to Durham - so it obviously wasn't done to entice his son to come to Duke. He, in turn, gave him contact info for Human Resources. Boozer went on to work for Michael Jordan Nissan (perhaps due to Jordan's close Duke ties).

Is it possible a parent used connections to land a job? Sure, its possible and I'm sure it happens. Most everyone uses their connections when trying to find a job. I would imagine that parents following their children to a new town often make many connections through people they meet who work with and around a school. Tyler Hansbrough's mon just received a job at UNC dental school. But that's a far cry from the university giving jobs to parents as fans like to claim.

Duke's "glass house" isn't as you have portrayed it.