PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck

MADXSTER
03-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Just wanted to stop by and say good luck against Nova.

Many Xavier fans visit other team sites and it's the consensus on the Xavier board that Duke fans are

- the most knowledgable
- the most courteous
- the most intelligent
- the most well spoken

Once again good luck.

calltheobvious
03-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words, and don't be a stranger.

It's just one guy, but I thoroughly enjoyed my interaction with the Xavier fans in the Atlanta regional in '04. It would have been much more enjoyable for Duke's victory to have come at the expense of Texas fans rather than your fantastic group.

bulldog44
03-24-2009, 07:12 PM

Many Xavier fans visit other team sites and it's the consensus on the Xavier board that Duke fans are

- the most knowledgable
- the most courteous
- the most intelligent
- the most well spoken

Once again good luck.

Thank you and welcome back anytime.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Always great to have fans of other programs visit the board. Like calltheobvious, I've had almost uniformly good experiences with Xavier fans and tend to cheer for the team unless they're playing Duke. Good luck in your own game, I hope we can bump into each other in the tournament. Either way, I hope you won't be a stranger on the boards. It's great to have other (thoughtful, good-humored) perspectives on basketball and on the OT and Public Policy boards.

geraldsneighbor
03-24-2009, 07:36 PM
I really enjoyed the Xavier fans in how they support their team this year in the Meadowlands and last year in DC. They always have been a classy group and I'm glad to have a Xavier fan on our side Thursday night.

Best of luck to Xavier.

brevity
03-24-2009, 07:39 PM
It's been my experience, from both living in Cincinnati and visiting Xavier-oriented sites, that the Musketeers and many of their fans aren't too shabby either. Right now I'd rank their cross-town rivalry with the Bearcats the 2nd most intense in the nation, slightly ahead of Kentucky-Louisville.

Thank you, and come again. Even if Duke and Xavier meet in the regional final.

SMO
03-24-2009, 08:19 PM

- the most knowledgable
- the most courteous
- the most intelligent
- the most well spoken

Once again good luck.

What a classy post! I may have found a 2nd favorite Sweet 16 team.

juise
03-24-2009, 08:26 PM
It's just one guy, but I thoroughly enjoyed my interaction with the Xavier fans in the Atlanta regional in '04.

I was in the student section for those games. I remember that the Duke fans, as a whole, were cheering for Xavier during that first game against Texas. We did the "X" with our arms and everything. And then the Xavier fans were very anti-Duke when we faced Illinois. Oh, well... comes with territory, I suppose. ;)

I agree that the post was very classy and I certainly wish the Musketeers the best against Pitt. I love the genuine discourse with other schools' fans on this site. It is part of what makes the DBR great.

Newton_14
03-24-2009, 08:29 PM

- the most knowledgable
- the most courteous
- the most intelligent
- the most well spoken

Once again good luck.

Thanks and good luck to Xavier as well! I have enjoyed watching them in past NCAA tourney's and I do pull for you guys when you are not playing Duke or one of our ACC teams. Except of course for unc. Please feel free to beat them down any time you wish!

Sean Miller has done an excellent job with the program and I hope to see it continue. It is good for NCAA basketball.

Best of luck in your game against Pitt!

gumbomoop
03-24-2009, 08:57 PM
Glad you joined the conversation. Taking just a few moments away from our 'Nova-concentration is probably acceptable and healthy. I definitely remember several very well-informed X-perts providing the detailed scoop on X before our Dec. game.

Everybody here, excepting the several UNC posters who join us, obviously hopes the Devils win it all. That means, equally obviously, we intend our guys to whip 'Nova, then X or Pitt. As for me, should this not, somehow and quite inexplicably and utterly-heartbreakingly, be our year, I'll look for X to play Missouri for NC.

We both got our work cut out for us, and soon.

Masterofreality
03-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Hey, folks, I'm back too.

I was the guy who posted on the Xavier Board, and was quoted here, that Duke was the example that Xavier aspired to be, not just in basketball, but in many respects. We're not there yet, but getting closer. We're not going away, but keep moving forward step, by step.

I'll be in Boston and at the games, just like I was in Atlanta. I'll be cheering for Duke in the second game. Sorry, but it'll be a different story when we play you guys again on Saturday.

Good luck against Villanova

killerleft
03-25-2009, 11:07 AM
You are just and fair, Madxster! Is your screen name pronounceable?

hurleyfor3
03-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I'd love to see Xavier make a Final Four some time. Some other year, of course. It's Gonzaga's turn this year. :D

MADXSTER
03-25-2009, 05:19 PM
MAD-X-TER

This year was and is actually considered a down year. We lost three seniors starters from the NCAA last year and picked up 7 new faces this year. 2 of those are sitting out this year. One is Jordan Crawford who started at PG for Indiana last year.

Next year we have everyone back except for 2 guys who really both played the 3 position last year in CJ Anderson and BJ Raymond. BJ moved to the 2 position this year. Crawford will take that position next year and is already considered the best player on the team. Our present PG Jackson will move to the 3 next year.

We should have very good ball handlers at the 1, 2, and 3 with loads of experience down low.

This year is simply icing on the cake that no one really expected. Except for Miller.

BlueDvl817
03-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the support. I don't have any personal experience with Xavier fans, but you make a good first impression. I'll be pulling for y'all against Pitt, good luck, and I think your team has a definite chance to win.

snowdenscold
03-25-2009, 09:24 PM
I was in the student section for those games. I remember that the Duke fans, as a whole, were cheering for Xavier during that first game against Texas. We did the "X" with our arms and everything. And then the Xavier fans were very anti-Duke when we faced Illinois. Oh, well... comes with territory, I suppose. ;)

But at least the Xavier fans were nice enough to not throw full beer cans at us from 10th story hotel balconies. Though I guess their team hadn't lost at that point...

MADXSTER
03-25-2009, 10:19 PM
But at least the Xavier fans were nice enough to not throw full beer cans at us from 10th story hotel balconies. Though I guess their team hadn't lost at that point...

You've got to be kidding me. I'm not sure I really want to know what school those yahoos would be supporting.

snowdenscold
03-25-2009, 11:10 PM
You've got to be kidding me. I'm not sure I really want to know what school those yahoos would be supporting.

Well, it was either Illinois or Texas - I think the former, but I can't remember. But yeah, if it had landed about 18 inches closer one of us would have been in the hospital or dead - the can completely shattered on impact.

Xman95
03-26-2009, 10:54 AM
We did the "X" with our arms and everything. And then the Xavier fans were very anti-Duke when we faced Illinois. Oh, well... comes with territory, I suppose. ;)

Juise, you guys, as well as teams like UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, etc., have been viewed much like the Lakers and Celtics were when they owned the NBA. You have been the teams to hate. And, honestly, that hatred stems from jealousy. I can admit that I have cheered against Duke, despite being a longtime fan of the ACC, and it stems from the fact that they have been in a place where I would love to see Xavier. It's that simple.

That being said, I have always had tremendous respect for your program. Coach K does it the right way, genuinely cares about his players and the school, the entire institution carries itself with class (players, fans, etc.), and the support the team gets at home is at the top of the list. Duke has the total package.

Over the years, Xavier has been lucky enough to keep improving its status and it has recently been living in your neighborhood. And X isn't satisfied with that so it's looking to get a place on your street. So that hatred I once had for the Blue Devils has slowly been fading. Childish? Immature? Silly? Yeah, it is. I've never really been one to be envious of what someone else has...except when it comes to Xavier. It's a great university and a great family. It deserves the success it is currently enjoying and I can now admit that Duke has deserved everything it has enjoyed over the years.

Know that, when the second game starts tonight, Duke will have yet another fan parked in front of his TV in Ohio and wearing blue (ok, because I'll probably still be wearing blue from the X game, but hey...). And, as long as the Blue Devils continue to do it the right way, I'll be pulling for them when they aren't playing X (or GaTech, my 2nd favorite team).

elvis14
03-26-2009, 05:03 PM
I was the guy who posted on the Xavier Board, and was quoted here, that Duke was the example that Xavier aspired to be, not just in basketball, but in many respects. We're not there yet, but getting closer. We're not going away, but keep moving forward step, by step.

I made the mistake of reading the Xavier board (including your posts). Man did you get ripped for your opinions about X and Duke, almost as much as Duke did. Between the anit-Duke pictures in one forum and some of the posts in response to MasterOR, I ended up wishing I didn't visit their board at all. Note, that's not a generic statement about their board, I just didn't like a lot of the comments about Duke. I will say, however, that I enjoyed the posts from the X-men that came here and discussed the game and it's nice to see some of you guys back. Good luck against Pitt tonight.

Xman95
03-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Elvis, first let me say it's good to know you are alive and well in Duke-ville! Too many reports of you hanging out in K-Marts in Kalamazoo, MI.

Second, I think you'll find the feelings toward Duke are mostly negative no matter where you go. I touched on it in my earlier post. You guys are the hunted. People are jealous of your program and what you have. They want something for their program and you already have it. Sure, there are great programs like UNC that hate you, but that's a genuine rivalry. Other programs might hate you because they see you as a threat. But, ultimately, most of the negative feelings can be traced back to the fact that Duke is a national power. You should almost embrace it.

I think back to when Reggie Jackson was playing baseball and he was booed everywhere he went. Reggie's approach wasn't to get upset. No, he took a different approach. He welcomed it. He loved it. His theory was that the only reason people booed was because he was a great player and they didn't like the fact that he did damage to their team. In an odd way, the hatred was a sign of respect.

Duke is in a similar position. If you were a non-factor on the national scene, people wouldn't hate you. In fact, they wouldn't care about you. I'm not trying to make excuses for people who cross the line - and fans of every program will cross the line. I'm just pointing out that being disliked by fans of other teams across the country is not necessarily a bad thing. Heck, Xavier is starting to be the object of hatred across the country and, truthfully, I'm starting to like it. It's a true sign that you've made it!

(By the way, my negative feelings toward Duke might resurface if you drop more games to Big East teams in the tourney. That league is full of nothing but whiners and thugs.)

elvis14
03-30-2009, 10:37 PM
Elvis, first let me say it's good to know you are alive and well in Duke-ville! Too many reports of you hanging out in K-Marts in Kalamazoo, MI.

Second, I think you'll find the feelings toward Duke are mostly negative no matter where you go.

That was a Walmart, not a K-mart....then I left the building.

Good point about the anti-Duke feelings at other sites. I think that particular day I probably expected something different based on the good natured X-men that had posted here. Meaning it was as much my issue as anything else. At least there were some positive Duke posts which is more than I can say for some other sites. I don't mean to give you guys a bad name.