PDA

View Full Version : Seth Curry discussion

Pages : [1] 2

BlueintheFace
03-24-2009, 05:22 PM
http://www.libertyflames.com/index.cfm?PID=10869&newsID=3750&TeamID=

Above is his statement.

Rumors abound that he will be joining an ACC school....

Interesting stuff

Oriole Way
03-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Wow... any good guesses on which ACC school? I would guess Virginia, but they have no coach in place, so I don't think he'll go there.

pfrduke
03-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Wow... any good guesses on which ACC school? I would guess Virginia, but they have no coach in place, so I don't think he'll go there.

That or Virginia Tech (unless the family has washed their hands of the place after Steph and Seth went essentially unrecruited).

geraldsneighbor
03-24-2009, 05:40 PM
He must have had his mind made up considering their season ended less then 24 hours ago. He played 38 minutes last night in the CIT tournament for Liberty.

CameronBornAndBred
03-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Rumors abound that he will be joining an ACC school....

Anything besides rumors?

mph
03-24-2009, 06:14 PM
He must have had his mind made up considering their season ended less then 24 hours ago. He played 38 minutes last night in the CIT tournament for Liberty.

I attended the second half of last night's game against James Madison. Seth really struggled to get his shot off and seemed flat. I'm sure television exposure played the largest role in his decision, but it probably didn't help that the Vine's Center was usually more than half-empty. It's too bad because this Liberty team recorded some big wins (UVA and George Mason), competed for the Big South title, and was a lot of fun to watch. Liberty has a solid recruiting class coming in next year and they would have almost certainly competed for the Big South title had Curry returned.

It's hard to see him go, but I wish him the best at his new school--as long as that school doesn't wear powder blue. ;)

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Come to duke bro

BlueintheFace
03-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Anything besides rumors?

Not that I know of, but considering the family's involvement and interest in attending all of the games, the ACC makes a lot of sense.

BlueintheFace
03-24-2009, 06:59 PM
We could use a SG in 2010 when Jon is gone...

mph
03-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Anything besides rumors?

FWIW, Seth is openly telling his Liberty friends that he wants to transfer to an ACC school. Earlier today he said he has a "couple in mind, but nothing firm."

We could use a SG in 2010 when Jon is gone...

If he's transferring to increase his NBA stock, I'd guess he's looking for a place where he can develop as a PG.

BlueintheFace
03-24-2009, 07:24 PM
If he's transferring to increase his NBA stock, I'd guess he's looking for a place where he can develop as a PG.

Okay. We could use another pg in 2010. Whatever. We could use a curry. Smart kids, good family, athletic pedigree, great talent. Sounds like a few kids we have had before. That being said, I know K is not big on transfers coming in. Oh well.

geraldsneighbor
03-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Okay. We could use another pg in 2010. Whatever. We could use a curry. Smart kids, good family, athletic pedigree, great talent. Sounds like a few kids we have had before. That being said, I know K is not big on transfers coming in. Oh well.

A certain transfer from Rutgers wasn't too bad...

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-24-2009, 07:36 PM
A certain transfer from Rutgers wasn't too bad...

Both of our transfers have been very, very successful in college and gone on to multiple seasons in the NBA.

BlueintheFace
03-24-2009, 07:41 PM
How many players have transferred in to Duke during the K era. Only two come to mind immediately... Mcleod and Jones. Surely there are more....?

Lord Ash
03-24-2009, 07:43 PM
How many players have transferred in to Duke during the K era. Only two come to mind immediately... Mcleod and Jones. Surely there are more....?

Nope. Methinks that is it.

jjasper0729
03-24-2009, 08:15 PM
that's it... the only other one in the last 30 or so years was bender from IU

Jim3k
03-24-2009, 08:30 PM
You are correct concerning transfers under Krzyzewksi; shortly before K arrived, however, Bob Bender transferred to Duke from Indiana to play for Bill Foster. Bender played on Knight's 1976 undefeated IU team and for Foster's 1978 NCAA runner-up team. He's the only person to have ever played in two NCAA championship games for different schools. He was later one of K's assistant coaches (and after that, the HC at Illinois State and UDub -- 9yrs).

Bender is an interesting dude. Now with the Hawks, I think.

Aside from the war years (where there were several), I don't think there have been any other transfers to Duke basketball. If so, I can't think of them.

Newton_14
03-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Count me in! I have no issue at all taking a transfer with Curry's talent. From what little I have seen of him, he appears to be like his brother in that the kid has game. Sign him up!

Devilsfan
03-24-2009, 08:37 PM
If this was his brother it would be something of interest

SupaDave
03-24-2009, 09:10 PM
If this was his brother it would be something of interest

Obviously you haven't seen the kid play...

juise
03-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Obviously you haven't seen the kid play...

I haven't either, but I can read box scores. He scored 26 at UVA (9-17 FG, 4-8 3FG) and 24 at Clemson (9-16 FG, 6-9 3FG), and lead all freshmen is scoring average. That's pretty money if you ask me.

gofurman
03-24-2009, 09:24 PM
I haven't either, but I can read box scores. He scored 26 at UVA (9-17 FG, 4-8 3FG) and 24 at Clemson (9-16 FG, 6-9 3FG), and lead all freshmen is scoring average. That's pretty money if you ask me.

I think he is the nation's leading freshman scorer?

wilko
03-24-2009, 09:48 PM
If so, I can't think of them.

Rowshown McLeod
Dahntay Jones

BlueintheFace
03-24-2009, 09:59 PM
I think he is the nation's leading freshman scorer?

The kid is a scorer. No doubt about it.

Cameron
03-24-2009, 10:32 PM
I doubt we are one of the ACC schools Curry is considering -- I would assume Va Tech or maybe even NC State, because of all the instant time and focus he'd receive, to be the most plausible -- but anyone here think we might be one of those "two schools" he is floating around in his head?

That'd be sweet, knowing that Gerald and Jon will both be gone by the time Curry would be available to suit up.

Atldukie79
03-24-2009, 11:09 PM
My memory does not provide all the details, but we had a player in the mid 70s called George Moses who seemed rather old at the time...maybe in his mid 20s. I think he played Juco and transferred in when we were short handed. He was around 6'5" and couldn't shoot, but played D and rebounded.

CBDUKE
03-24-2009, 11:11 PM
His transferring has been announced on the news here in Richmond. John Harrell also transferred to Duke at about the same time as Bender.

Cameron
03-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Come to Duke, baby. Come to Duke.

geraldsneighbor
03-24-2009, 11:24 PM
I think there would be plenty of time available for him that year. He would be able to run the point beside Nolan who would be able to play the off guard as a senior. I know Stephen said growing up he was a Duke fan and how it was a highlight of his playing in CIS. Maybe his brother feels the same? One can hope at least.

Cameron
03-24-2009, 11:27 PM
It's probably a long shot (I know it is), but I'm excited to think what could be. Once Jon and Gerald leave, we will need some shooters and slashers anyhow. What better a person to help fill that void than a player that might very well develop into a better version of Steph Curry?

Jim3k
03-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Rowshown McLeod
Dahntay Jones

Those were already included as K's transfers. I raised Bender because I could think of him. Another poster has added John Harrell.

So far we have four modern era transfers. Anyone else?

yancem
03-24-2009, 11:46 PM
It's probably a long shot (I know it is), but I'm excited to think what could be. Once Jon and Gerald leave, we will need some shooters and slashers anyhow. What better a person to help fill that void than a player that might very well develop into a better version of Steph Curry?

Yeah but the problem is, if he doesn't come to Duke, then we will have to face him and his deadly shot for 2-3 years.

RoyalBlue08
03-25-2009, 12:03 AM
This feels right to me. I think he is coming our way. I would love to watch Seth play his final three years of college ball at Duke!

DukeCO2009
03-25-2009, 12:07 AM
This feels right to me. I think he is coming our way. I would love to watch Seth play his final three years of college ball at Duke!

I, too, am cautiously optimistic. I think he's going to be a Blue Devil.

COYS
03-25-2009, 12:23 AM
I, too, am cautiously optimistic. I think he's going to be a Blue Devil.

Do you have any other info besides a feeling? I'm not trying to be snarky at all, I just think this would be a very interesting development and want to know if this is your own personal suspicion or is based on information to which you are privy.

BlueintheFace
03-25-2009, 01:01 AM
1) History would seem to indicate that it is EXTREMELY unlikely that Seth Curry come to Duke.

2) Recruiting strategy (that we know of) would seem to indicate that it is unlikely that he come to Duke. By my count, we have now offered scholarships to 3 pgs in the class of 2010

3) I won't even sort of kind of believe a little bit that he might come to Duke until one of the big hitters on the board steps in and provides some info that might not be privy to most outside the program

... in other words... Just assume it aint happenin'

BlueintheFace
03-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Here are some links filled with good old fashioned speculation with a few tenuous facts (like, he is looking to join the ACC)

http://rushthecourt.net/2009/03/24/breaking-news-curry-to-transfer/

http://ballinisahabit.blogspot.com/2009/03/seth-curry-to-transfer-from-liberty.html

jimsumner
03-25-2009, 10:58 AM
Roshown McLeod essentially took Joey Beard's scholarship/role.
Dahntay Jones essentially took Corey Maggette's scholarship/role.

John Harrell transferred to Duke from North Carolina Central about the same time that Bender came from IU.

Moses played juco ball in Texas. Not the same thing.

Larry Saunders transferred from Northwestern to Duke late in the Bubas tenure. Sat out 1969,played at Duke in 1970 and 1971 under Waters. 6'9" power forward.

Not sure about pre-Bubas.

But clearly, Duke is a school that hasn't built or sustained its program on transfers.

Curry at Duke?

Let's go to the scorecard.

Curry would be a sophomore in 2011. Duke's backcourt also would include senior Nolan Smith, junior Elliott Williams, freshman Andre Dawkins, and freshman Tyler Thornton, plus anyone that Duke might sign this spring plus any of Knight/Irving/McCallum from the class of '10. Or would Duke not recruit any more guards from 2010? Is a Curry in the hand worth a Knight or an Irving in the bush? Not a simple answer.

That said, I'm pretty sure Krzyzewski would accept a phone call from the Curry family.

Jeffrey
03-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Curry would be a sophomore in 2011. Duke's backcourt also would include senior Nolan Smith, junior Elliott Williams.....

Jim,

NBA? Should one reconsider their views on accepting transfers based upon the substantial increase (as compared to 15+ years ago) in the number of players going pro early/earlier in their college career?

jimsumner
03-25-2009, 11:12 AM
NBA? good question. Inasmuch as transfers have to sit out a year, the more common solution to the problem of unexpected attrition to the NBA is to ramp up high-school recruitment.

At this point (no pun intended :)) I would very much expect Smith and Williams to be on the Duke roster in 2010-11. But stranger things have happened.

InSpades
03-25-2009, 11:17 AM
How well do people think his talent would translate into the ACC? I've never seen him play, but obviously he put up great #s (against ACC teams even). Pretty obviously he could play just about anywhere, but would he be a star?

It seems very difficult to compare #s put up at Liberty (or even Davidson) to #s put up at power conferences. How many points would some of the current Duke stars put up playing at a lower-tier conference?

If he does turn out to be a top-flight talent (like his brother) it will be very interesting. How do major colleges miss out on another Curry? Did he not have better scholarship offers out of high school? You'd think his obvious talent plus his brother's success would lead atleast some team to take a chance on him. At the worst you get a good kid from a good family, at best you get Stephen part 2.

Jeffrey
03-25-2009, 11:19 AM
Inasmuch as transfers have to sit out a year, the more common solution to the problem of unexpected attrition to the NBA is to ramp up high-school recruitment.

True.

OTOH, it might be nice to have a very talented transfer pushing the level of practice play and adding relative stability (you'll have them for at least two years) during periods of transition. Agree?

Truth
03-25-2009, 11:35 AM
Curry at Duke?

Let's go to the scorecard.

Curry would be a sophomore in 2011. Duke's backcourt also would include senior Nolan Smith, junior Elliott Williams, freshman Andre Dawkins, and freshman Tyler Thornton, plus anyone that Duke might sign this spring plus any of Knight/Irving/McCallum from the class of '10. Or would Duke not recruit any more guards from 2010? Is a Curry in the hand worth a Knight or an Irving in the bush? Not a simple answer.

That said, I'm pretty sure Krzyzewski would accept a phone call from the Curry family.

Great synopsis as usual, Jim! As (greedy?) fans, I think we're prone to believe that a Curry "in the hand" in worth a Knight/Irving "in the bush." We are prone to this belief for several reasons: 1) infatuation with what Stephen did during his time at Davidson, 2) a(n un)reasonable belief that we could still effectively recruit/land a Knight/Irving even with Curry on the roster, and 3) a natural tendency to prefer "in the hand" than "in the bush", particulary given a few recent recruiting misses.

Now, having said all that, I think the bigger question here is whether Curry would even want to play at Duke. Obviously, we fans all like to think of ourselves as the ultimate basketball oasis, but different players look for different scenarios. Is Curry looking to be THE MAN or is looking to faciliate the growth of a team? Would he want to enter team without PT guarantees? His Dad has ties with VT, etc, etc.

SupaDave
03-25-2009, 04:24 PM
This should shed some light...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=smith_stephen&id=3922534

kmspeaks
03-25-2009, 04:37 PM
While I'm sure a lot of Seth Curry's decision to transfer has to do with basketball I think the school he is at now may also play a factor.

I'm not sure how many on these boards are familiar with Liberty University but it is a bit of a different environment than a typical college campus. It is an very conservative Christian school that places a lot of requirements on students not found elsewhere. Perhaps in addition to wanting to play against better competition Seth also wanted a different campus culture.

InSpades
03-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Andy Katz on ESPN took the Curry to the ACC talk 1 step further and said he wants to play in the state of North Carolina and in the ACC (which limits his choices to 1 of 4 schools...).

OZZIE4DUKE
03-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Moses played juco ball in Texas. Not the same thing.
We discussed George Moses in a transfer thread a few months ago. His most "interesting" factoid was that he flunked out and then came back after sitting out the requisite semester or two. People were amazed that a juco transfer would bother to do that. George as an effective power forward, in an era when we didn't have as much talent as we do now (to say the least!)

geraldsneighbor
03-25-2009, 04:53 PM
Andy Katz on ESPN took the Curry to the ACC talk 1 step further and said he wants to play in the state of North Carolina and in the ACC (which limits his choices to 1 of 4 schools...).

Well, UNC has their backcourt pretty well recruited. Duke has some openings. NC State has openings but that is about it. Wake is going to need to reload with most likely Teague, Johnson, and Aminu all gone and Williams and McFarland graduating by the time Curry would be eligible. Maybe Duke?

Indoor66
03-25-2009, 04:54 PM
We discussed George Moses in a transfer thread a few months ago. His most "interesting" factoid was that he flunked out and then came back after sitting out the requisite semester or two. People were amazed that a juco transfer would bother to do that. George as an effective power forward, in an era when we didn't have as much talent as we do now (to say the least!)

IRRC, Moses was an army vet and was about 26 years old when he played at Duke.

FireOgilvie
03-25-2009, 05:07 PM
Well, UNC has their backcourt pretty well recruited. Duke has some openings. NC State has openings but that is about it. Wake is going to need to reload with most likely Teague, Johnson, and Aminu all gone and Williams and McFarland graduating by the time Curry would be eligible. Maybe Duke?

I bet he ends up at Wake. No way he goes to State. I would be shocked.

Tim1515
03-25-2009, 05:17 PM
I bet he ends up at Wake. No way he goes to State. I would be shocked.

Wake seems a little odd to me. I say NC State is out because that program is in so much flux right now...they could be at the bottom of the ACC for while. UNC almost has to be a no with the guards they have coming.

I guess if Katz is correct Duke has a really good chance...but yeah i could very well be Wake

BlueintheFace
03-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Katz says that he probably wants to be at an ACC school in North Carolina.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4015186&name=katz_andy

Wake is a small Liberal Arts school with an up and coming team that will need shooters since they don't have many and don't have many coming in next year either. Perfect situation.

After that, I think Duke would be the next choice because of all the reasons we know and because of how Duke is portrayed as a shooting team where guards succeed. Plus it is small, premiere, etc...

Then UNC, and then NC State (no way this happens unless Curry really wants to run the show on a losing team. That team is falling apart so such a situation would have to appeal to him and my guess is that his brother will explain little fun it is to be "the man" on a decently high-profile team with little support.

Frankly, I won't believe for a second that he is going anywhere but Wake until I hear that Duke has contacted Liberty.

houstondukie
03-25-2009, 05:53 PM

I agree, but Wake Forest is also a great fit....and they need him worse than we do.

Owen Meany
03-25-2009, 06:59 PM
Forgetting for a moment whether Curry would be interested in Duke, or vice versa - would Curry , in fact, have to sit out if he paid his own way? If not, this could really change things, it seems to me.

Assume for a minute that Curry wants to go to Duke and Duke wants Curry (and everything else this entails - the same vision for his role, etc). Duke seems to really need someone for next year (judging by Nate James' comment that Duke was in a "tough spot" (paraphrase), recruiting guards not considered before (who haven't qualified yet), etc. It would seem, at least on the surface, that Curry could provide as much to the Duke team as a couple of other guards being looked at. He would also "even out" Duke's recruiting, by adding another player to this year's recruiting class, now and when they graduate.

Now what would Curry gain? If he does want to play for Duke, it could get him an offer (with a scholarship his remaining years). That is, Duke may feel an immediate need for next year, but not be inclined to offer Curry a spot if he isn't eligible until the Dawkins class comes in as freshmen. He would be able to play immediately (most players don't want to sit), and gain a year of experience over the other players coming in, with whom he would eventually compete for playing time.

Curry's parents have the resources that would enable them to pay a year's tuition without sacrificing other things. If it could get their son into the program he wants, when he wants, etc.,it would certainly be worth it. Given the family's resources, and their experiences at Davidson and Liberty, they may put a considerable premium on playing ACC basketball, for a hall of fame coach, etc. The Curry family also seems to really value education. They probably are not counting on Seth earning a pro paycheck (given his size if nothing else) - so they may place GREAT value on a Duke education.

Anyway, I am very skeptical that Curry can step in and be an All Conference player at the ACC level. But if he and Coach K see a role for him on Duke's team, it would be very advantageous if they could circumvent the 1 year sitting out (like they did with Melchionni).

BD80
03-25-2009, 07:22 PM
... would Curry , in fact, have to sit out if he paid his own way? If not, this could really change things, it seems to me. ...

How about if some school were to hire his Dad Dell? He is WAY more qualified than others hired to get a prospect to commit, if only for his 16 year NBA playing career.

chrisheery
03-25-2009, 07:26 PM
if you transfer but pay your own way, you don't have to sit out a year? Is that true? Where did you find that rule?

RPS
03-25-2009, 07:49 PM
if you transfer but pay your own way, you don't have to sit out a year? Is that true? Where did you find that rule?In most NCAA sports a player can get one "free" transfer without having to sit out. In D1 basketball, men's ice hockey and football a transfering player always has to sit out a year, no matter who pays.

Transfer 101 (http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/2007-08_transfer_guidec7590eb0-e93f-402f-9451-84976b622c7e.pdf)

Owen Meany
03-25-2009, 07:51 PM
if you transfer but pay your own way, you don't have to sit out a year? Is that true? Where did you find that rule?

I am asking if this is true, not stating it as a fact. Given that Curry would not be on scholarship it would seem possible that it would limit the NCAA's ability to make him sit out. (Just as Melchionni was able to come in when we already had 5 scholarship players). But it may not make any difference. It just seems to be one of those unlikely scenarios that may not have been anticipated/ covered by NCAA rules.

SupaDave
03-25-2009, 07:53 PM
FWIW, this sounds VERY good for NC State. Lowe should have picked up the phone immediately.

InSpades
03-25-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't think paying your own way gets around the sitting out 1 year. There's a pretty big difference between what Melchionni did and what you are trying to suggest Seth Curry might do. There's nothing wrong with a player paying his own way, he doesn't count as a scholarship player, it's as simple as that.

If you transfer and want to play right away you have to apply for a hardship waiver. It doesn't seem like Seth would qualify.

CameronBornAndBred
03-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Wake seems a little odd to me. I say NC State is out because that program is in so much flux right now...they could be at the bottom of the ACC for while. UNC almost has to be a no with the guards they have coming.

I disagree with the NCSU comment. Even NC State is a huge step up from Liberty, and if he wants immediate playing time and national exposure, what better program fits his desire to be in North Carolina? I think it would be great if he went to State, they need him as much as he needs them. Whether Lowe is there is in two years is of little consequence. If he is there, it means they will do better next year, and Seth can look forward to playing for an improving program.

Owen Meany
03-25-2009, 08:19 PM
In most NCAA sports a player can get one "free" transfer without having to sit out. In D1 basketball, men's ice hockey and football a transfering player always has to sit out a year, no matter who pays.

Transfer 101 (http://www.ncaapublications.com/Uploads/PDF/2007-08_transfer_guidec7590eb0-e93f-402f-9451-84976b622c7e.pdf)

If you transfer and want to play right away you have to apply for a hardship waiver. It doesn't seem like Seth would qualify.

Thanks for the clarification. I was wondering if their might be a loophole there somewhere.

Newton_14
03-25-2009, 08:48 PM
If what Katz said is true, then to me it has to be Duke or unc. Too much turmoil going on at State right now, and with Wake I think everyone is starting to catch on that Gaudio is in over his head and possibly will not even be there when Seth becomes eligible..

And per Jim's comments, I will take the bird in the hand....

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-25-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say Duke would much rather have Curry than any other guard out there who has a scholarship offered to him (except maybe for bknight and jwall both of whom its very unlikely we land). In fact, I don't think anyone would be all that upset if we got him and one of our verbals dropped. Its a bold statement but I'm sticking by it. This kid could very well be a better player than his brother.

sagegrouse
03-25-2009, 10:32 PM
How about if some school were to hire his Dad Dell? He is WAY more qualified than others hired to get a prospect to commit, if only for his 16 year NBA playing career.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but how many NBA players who have made more than $20 million dollars in salary (plus other income) want to spend their days sitting as an assistant on the bench of a college team? Or, chasing boorish HS prospects on the recruiting trail?

sagegrouse

MulletMan
03-26-2009, 09:48 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0220/ncb_i_curry1_sw_200.jpg

What? Me palm the ball? Never!!!!!!!!!!!

(Resume speculation.)

Tommac
03-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Not to put too fine a point on it, but how many NBA players who have made more than $20 million dollars in salary (plus other income) want to spend their days sitting as an assistant on the bench of a college team? Or, chasing boorish HS prospects on the recruiting trail?

sagegrouse

Johnny Dawkins?

rsvman
03-26-2009, 10:18 AM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0220/ncb_i_curry1_sw_200.jpg

What? Me palm the ball? Never!!!!!!!!!!!

(Resume speculation.)

LOL. That's the first thing I thought when I saw the picture, too; this palming is way worse than what they called on Nolan Smith in the Texas game.

CMS2478
03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
FWIW, there are numerous VA Tech people who supposedly have info saying that the relationship between the Curry's and Greenburg is fine and that he is almost considered a lock to go to VA Tech??? One again TIFWIW.

pamtar
03-26-2009, 12:11 PM
and with Wake I think everyone is starting to catch on that Gaudio is in over his head

Not that I disagree, I just dont understand what you mean. He seems to be doing fine to me, but then again I'm usually out of the loop. Please clarify.

Even NC State is a huge step up from Liberty, and if he wants immediate playing time and national exposure, what better program fits his desire to be in North Carolina?

I'd say I would agree with CBAB here. I dont think Sid is going anywhere in the near future. He's a great coach (usually) and recruiter (Simmons, Hickson). I think Curry would fit right in on a team that needs a point/shooting guard worse than most.

CDu
03-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Not that I disagree, I just dont understand what you mean. He seems to be doing fine to me, but then again I'm usually out of the loop. Please clarify.

Gaudio took a team with arguably the second-most talent in the ACC and couldn't coach them out of the first round of the ACC or NCAA tournament, losing to greatly inferior teams both times. Another red flag about his coaching is the .500 record in ACC road games, despite not having to play at FSU, UNC, or VT. And finishing the season 8-7 with the talent that team had is a very disappointing finish.

Possibly just as importantly, there are many who feel that Gaudio never got the Deacons on the same page offensively, and that they looked like five guys playing separate games. The team was arguably as talented as any team in the ACC this year, yet they never figured out how to maximize their talents. That's a coaching issue.

I'm not saying that Gaudio is definitely going to be gone soon. But for a guy without much of a pedigree, it will be very interesting to see how he does next year (especially if Johnson and Teague go pro).

Cameron
03-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Any truth to the rumor that Curry will be on Duke's campus this weekend? Doubtful, but I thought I'd ask.

FireOgilvie
03-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Any truth to the rumor that Curry will be on Duke's campus this weekend? Doubtful, but I thought I'd ask.

I sure hope so. Stephen Curry was on PTI today and said that even he doesn't know where Seth will end up. He says that he's being kept out of the loop. BTW, Stephen is such a well-spoken and likeable guy, I wish he would have played for us.

Devilsfan
03-27-2009, 09:47 PM
Yeah, he looked so classy sucking on his mouth piece and talking trash in Cameron.

eddiehaskell
03-27-2009, 09:54 PM
LOL. That's the first thing I thought when I saw the picture, too; this palming is way worse than what they called on Nolan Smith in the Texas game.I'm surprised how infrequently this is called. Every time Gerald or Ewill dribble, I'm scared the refs are going to call carrying.

FireOgilvie
03-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Yeah, he looked so classy sucking on his mouth piece and talking trash in Cameron.

You couldn't be more off... and what does his mouth guard have to do with anything? Also, Paulus and Singler talk trash ALL THE TIME. JJ never stopped talking, either. I watch every game Curry is on TV, and I don't ever remember him talking trash to anyone. I'm sure Seth is just as classy as his brother.

RoyalBlue08
03-27-2009, 10:04 PM
You couldn't be more off... and what does his mouth guard have to do with anything? Also, Paulus and Singler talk trash ALL THE TIME. JJ never stopped talking, either. I watch every game Curry is on TV, and I don't ever remember him talking trash to anyone. I'm sure Seth is just as classy as his brother.

I couldn't agree with this more. By all accounts, Curry has carried himself with class everywhere he has been and has been great for college basketball as a whole. I don't know much about Seth other than the numbers he put up, but if he is anything like his brother he would be a great fit and a great addition to the Duke family.

CameronCrazy'11
03-27-2009, 10:17 PM
I was at the Davidson game. Unless he whispered it, Curry wasn't talking trash. I think it'd be great if we signed Seth Curry.

Cameron
03-27-2009, 10:33 PM
I'm in. This talk has got me somewhat excited, after the last miserable 20 hours or so.

What a long off-season.

DukieBoy
03-27-2009, 10:37 PM
I sure hope so. Stephen Curry was on PTI today and said that even he doesn't know where Seth will end up. He says that he's being kept out of the loop. BTW, Stephen is such a well-spoken and likeable guy, I wish he would have played for us.

He also said that he was doing his best to talk him into coming to Davidson, which is somewhere that no one has brought up. But Steph did say he has a list but is not telling him anything about his decision.

Diddy
03-27-2009, 10:54 PM
FWIW, there are numerous VA Tech people who supposedly have info saying that the relationship between the Curry's and Greenburg is fine and that he is almost considered a lock to go to VA Tech??? One again TIFWIW.

Per ESPN, VT's pg commit, Momo Jones (iirc re: name) just decommitted from VT. He plays, and plays well, for Oak Hill. I wondered at the sudden decommit. If he got wind of Curry to VT, I get it. Their games are very similiar, and Momo projects as a 4 year kid.

Newton_14
03-27-2009, 10:56 PM

CDu summed it up nicely. Nothing more really to add to that other than Gaudio got the job in an awkward situation. Most think he was given the job to insure the 3 key recruits they had coming in this year stayed on board. Wake had a ton of talent with two really good point guards which are key in college basketball, plus lots of size and athletic ability and just did not get it done. He will get another year to show something, but if they under achieve again next year, his job may well be on the line..

It would be high risk for Curry to walk into that situation.. But stranger things have happened, so who knows...

jimsumner
03-27-2009, 11:09 PM
"Their games are very similiar, and Momo projects as a 4 year kid."

LaMont Jones is a 5'11" point guard. Seth Curry is a 6'2" shooting guard who might be able to play point down the line.

Some overlap perhaps but I think you're reading too much into this.

langdonfan
03-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Apparently a Roanoke sports radio host named Greg Roberts is reporting that Curry is visiting Duke this weekend. Is anyone elsing hearing that this is the case??

CDu
03-28-2009, 09:42 AM
Apparently a Roanoke sports radio host named Greg Roberts is reporting that Curry is visiting Duke this weekend. Is anyone elsing hearing that this is the case??

Dave Glenn stated on radio that Curry had interest in three ACC schools, one of which is in the triangle, and that he might be visiting said triangle school this weekend. Nothing specific about Duke.

wolfpackdevil
03-28-2009, 09:50 AM
Dave Glenn stated on radio that Curry had interest in three ACC schools, one of which is in the triangle, and that he might be visiting said triangle school this weekend. Nothing specific about Duke.

Just thinking about it, I would be very suprised if Curry was visiting Duke or UNC.

For one thing he wouldn't be visiting UNC since right now they are all in Memphis.

Duke is just getting back from Boston and I would be suprised if he would went to Duke anyways with all of Duke's guards coming back, (scheyer, smith, williams,)

So I am guessing he is visiting NC State. The wolfpack just lost 2 scholarships because of Costner and Ferguson transfering. So he is most likely traveling to Raleigh this weekend.

CDu
03-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Just thinking about it, I would be very suprised if Curry was visiting Duke or UNC.

For one thing he wouldn't be visiting UNC since right now they are all in Memphis.

Duke is just getting back from Boston and I would be suprised if he would went to Duke anyways with all of Duke's guards coming back, (scheyer, smith, williams,)

So I am guessing he is visiting NC State. The wolfpack just lost 2 scholarships because of Costner and Ferguson transfering. So he is most likely traveling to Raleigh this weekend.

That would be my guess too, both from the timing perspective and the fact that Curry seems a better fit at NC State (better spot for him to showcase himself).

wolfpackdevil
03-28-2009, 09:55 AM
That would be my guess too, both from the timing perspective and the fact that Curry seems a better fit at NC State (better spot for him to showcase himself).

Yea. That would be a big addition for the Pack, and maybe a job saver for Sidney Lowe.

If he doesn't make the NCAA next season, I cannot see him coming back to NCSU.

Cameron
03-28-2009, 09:56 AM

Jon will be gone by the time Curry would be eligible to suit up, so that eliminates Jon. And, if Seth blossoms into three quarters the player his brother is, he would have no problem playing at Duke and taking time from our guards. Nothing against our guys, but Curry could probably play with them.

That said, I could see NC State. Number one, Curry would step right in and probably be THE guard. Number two, State has some talent and could be successful, even in the ACC. The boys in red and white proved that at times this season. They just need their coach to pick it up.

sagegrouse
03-28-2009, 10:11 AM

Heard nothing. But what else is the team and coaching staff doing this weekend?

"Visitng" covers a lot of territory, includig a walk through the quad and a visit to the Chapel. Because a full-fledged recruiting visit is highly orchestrated, I would think the only such visits in NC this weekend would be at NC State or Wake.

sagegrouse

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Saw this over on Wolf Pack Hoops...

http://wolfpackhoops.blogspot.com/2009/03/could-seth-curry-land-at-nc-state.html

I don't know how credible this info is or where it came from, but...

"Curry announced his top 3 choices...

Clemson, Wake Forest and Duke...

We can move on..."

Cameron
03-28-2009, 12:33 PM
I really hope that's true. If so, you can rule out Clemson, because, as long as Oliver's there, I don't see them going anywhere in the NCAA Tournament. He is not a big game coach. And I don't see Curry wanting to play in that type of futile atmosphere, unless, of course, he wants that challenge to make them into a winner.

Wake's situation, as others have pointed out, is unique. Lots of talent, but also lots of uncertainty. Does Gaudio have things under control in Winston-Salem? Will he be there in two years? Will Teague leave? Will Williams leave? On and on and on. Wake, as it stands, has tons of talent and certainly the potential to advance to a Final Four and win a national title. But, those goals are far off right now, especially after the nightmare finish to the Deacs season this year.

If Curry's final three schools are truly Duke, Wake, and Clemson, I like Coach K's and Duke's chances, especially considering how much respect and love Seth's brother, Stephen, has for our program and school. The Curry's seem like a family that is not only concerned about sports, but also the education factor. And, while a great education can also be had at Wake and Clemson, Duke is Duke.

This would be a great present in such a depressing and long off season.

jimsumner
03-28-2009, 12:40 PM
"If he doesn't make the NCAA next season, I cannot see him [Lowe] coming back to NCSU. "

Which is all the more reason for Curry to be very cautious towards NCSU. Curry couldn't help them next year and who knows about 2011. Why transfer into a situation with coaching instability?

BlueintheFace
03-28-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm telling you guys... If it's the ACC, it'll be Wake.

CDu
03-28-2009, 01:30 PM

Wake has the same coaching concerns as NC State. This is especially true if they lose a couple of guys to the league this year.

Mike Corey
03-28-2009, 01:47 PM

We shall see.

RelativeWays
03-28-2009, 01:51 PM

Scheyer will be gone when Seth is elligible to play, Smith and Williams will be a senior and a junior respectively. Right now we have NO pg commits, another SG/combo in Hairston who would be a freshman, Williams is tall enogh to play 3 especially if he plays as an athletic slasher. Curry would fit nicely. If we learned anything this year is that you can never have too many guards with a pg grade handle. If Seth has the ability to run point, I say we go for it. He seems like he could be a versatile player and that fits Duke's MO quite well.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-28-2009, 01:57 PM
If it's true Seth is interested, it doesn't matter if we just got knocked out of the NCAA's. Our staff will be head over heels all over this and they should be.

As far as I'm concerned if he is interested, he should be our entire staffs #1 priority until he commits somewhere else.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-28-2009, 01:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2xcMfdRsBc

small video of the younger curry - already better offensively than any guard we have.

grossbus
03-28-2009, 01:59 PM
the older curry was on PTI yesterday and said that the physical exams/x-rays after his ankle injury caused doctors to tell him he had a couple more inches of growth left.

wonder if that is the same for his brother.

how do their games compare? on the surface (which is all i have been exposed to) they seem close.

Cameron
03-28-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm going to be optimistic -- for once in my life, which ain't easy for this glass half-full guy -- and say that, if he goes to the ACC, Seth will come to Coach K and our gothic basketball forest, where threes rain and legacies are etched in stone.

jimsumner
03-28-2009, 02:11 PM
"respectively. Right now we have NO pg commits, another SG/combo in Hairston who would be a freshman"

Josh Hairston is a 6'8" power forward. Tyler Thornton is a PG commit, Andre Dawkins a WG commit. All from the class of 2010.

DUKIE V(A)
03-28-2009, 02:33 PM
Great family. Obvious Talent. Hope Seth becomes a Blue Devil. He would be beloved.

BD80
03-28-2009, 02:44 PM
... I would be suprised if he would went to Duke anyways with all of Duke's guards coming back, (scheyer, smith, williams,)...

If his intention is to improve by playing against better competition, what better way to spend his transfer year than running the point for the practice squad against Duke's first team? I think the mandatory year of sitting out also favors the school with the best coaching staff and the best training facilities.

I have no reason to expect he will come to Duke, but plenty of reason to hope. :D

RelativeWays
03-28-2009, 03:03 PM
"respectively. Right now we have NO pg commits, another SG/combo in Hairston who would be a freshman"

Josh Hairston is a 6'8" power forward. Tyler Thornton is a PG commit, Andre Dawkins a WG commit. All from the class of 2010.

Thornton then, but either way, I thought he was more a combo than straight pg, thats why we were trying to get Brandon Knight and one for this coming class. We get Curry, we won't need Knight, though we will still need a PG for next season. I don't see where having Seth Curry come to Duke is bad for either, if he's good as people think, K has a place for him. If he's a bust, then we run the same risk as with anyone we recruit. Besides, Coach K is 2 for 2 for great transfers

Cameron
03-28-2009, 03:06 PM
I'd really love to hear what some of the more informed posters here have to say on the issue -- ahem, Jumbo... Where's he at?

CDu
03-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Thornton then, but either way, I thought he was more a combo than straight pg, thats why we were trying to get Brandon Knight and one for this coming class. We get Curry, we won't need Knight, though we will still need a PG for next season. I don't see where having Seth Curry come to Duke is bad for either, if he's good as people think, K has a place for him. If he's a bust, then we run the same risk as with anyone we recruit. Besides, Coach K is 2 for 2 for great transfers

There's nothing wrong with having three guards to join Smith and Williams in 2010 instead of just two. That gives an increased probability that we'll have three quality wing players to work with. And getting a guy like Curry (who is more of a known commodity) is never a bad thing.

However, it doesn't consider the possibility that we won't have a 4th guard for next year's team. Next year is a more pressing need than 2010, though it's not like having another guard in the 2010 team would be a bad thing.

All that being said, I'm not holding my breath that we get Curry.

turnandburn55
03-28-2009, 04:13 PM
If his intention is to improve by playing against better competition, what better way to spend his transfer year than running the point for the practice squad against Duke's first team? I think the mandatory year of sitting out also favors the school with the best coaching staff and the best training facilities.

I remember K saying part of the reason the 2001 season was so good was because Dahntay Jones was able to bring it all-out in practice against the first team. Interesting food for thought...

mph
03-28-2009, 05:27 PM
The Roanoke Times (http://www.roanoke.com/sports/vtbasketball/wb/199270) reports that Duke is one of 5 ACC schools that have asked for permission to talk to Curry.

Virginia Tech is one of five ACC schools that have requested and been granted permission to speak to Liberty University basketball standout Seth Curry.

[snip]

The ACC schools that have inquired about the younger Curry are Tech, Clemson, Wake Forest, Duke and North Carolina State.

geraldsneighbor
03-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Good stuff. Hopefully this happens. It'd be great to have something like this to look forward to.

JDev
03-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Things are very interesting with Duke still evaluating and in the mix for guys like Curry, Bledsoe, Wall, Barnes and others that would arrive in the next two years. Is seems that in the next month or so Duke will know something from several of those guys. Any and all would be good additions. I am very anxious and excited to see how it shakes out.

killerleft
03-28-2009, 08:39 PM
I'd really love to hear what some of the more informed posters here have to say on the issue -- ahem, Jumbo... Where's he at?

You aren't listening closely enough. I think we're in the mix.

Cameron
03-28-2009, 08:46 PM
No, I am listening closely. Really, I was just wondering what Jumbo's take was.

jv001
03-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Thornton then, but either way, I thought he was more a combo than straight pg, thats why we were trying to get Brandon Knight and one for this coming class. We get Curry, we won't need Knight, though we will still need a PG for next season.

We need Knight no matter who we get. He's a talent just like Wall. Maybe a one year player like Wall, but he's the real deal. Go Duke!

MADevil30
03-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Maybe I am missing something and someone can fill me in, but people seem to be treating Seth as a huge addition to our team. Leading all freshmen is scoring is definitely impressive, and I know there are the the Steph Currys and Eric Maynors who slip through the cracks, but in today's day and age of intense recruiting and hype, could a guy who ended up at Liberty (and he committed in November so its not like he was entertaining other offers from better schools until being forced out at the last minute) be that spectacular? Again, not trying to knock on Seth, just wondering where all the hype is coming from and if we could reasonably expect him to live up to it.

FireOgilvie
03-29-2009, 12:37 AM
Maybe I am missing something and someone can fill me in, but people seem to be treating Seth as a huge addition to our team. Leading all freshmen is scoring is definitely impressive, and I know there are the the Steph Currys and Eric Maynors who slip through the cracks, but in today's day and age of intense recruiting and hype, could a guy who ended up at Liberty (and he committed in November so its not like he was entertaining other offers from better schools until being forced out at the last minute) be that spectacular? Again, not trying to knock on Seth, just wondering where all the hype is coming from and if we could reasonably expect him to live up to it.

Short answer: Yes, he possibly could "be that spectacular."

Longer answer: I don't think Seth is going to come in and immediately average 20 points/game in the ACC at Duke. But, we know that he could. Look at what he did in his two games against ACC teams this year:

@Virginia (where Liberty WON) - 26 points, 9-17 fg, 4-8 3 pt
@Clemson (Liberty lost by 5) - 24 pts, 9-16 fg, 6-9 3pt

The kid can straight up score... and it doesn't matter who he is playing against. He put up 30 points 4 times this year. He's a freshman, and he's only going to improve his game.

Strange fact: Duke had the same record as Liberty against those two ACC teams... except Duke lost to Clemson by 27 and Liberty lost by 5.

Scheyer:
Virginia - 11 points
@Clemson - 3 points

loran16
03-29-2009, 12:44 AM

Short Answer- Yes.

Long Answer- Seth's scoring might drop at Duke. On the other hand, it might not. Seth would immediately either start or get major minutes at shooting guard and with a better team around him will get far better looks than he was getting at Liberty. His shot attempts will decrease, but his shooting percentage should increase. In addition, he'd give us another quick player who can drive or take the 3 and help drive defense nuts, and if he is willing to pass (which i suspect, given his family, that he'd be willing to do so) then he'd help this entire team massively.

gotham devil
03-29-2009, 12:55 AM
Short Answer- Yes.

Long Answer- Seth's scoring might drop at Duke. On the other hand, it might not. Seth would immediately either start or get major minutes at shooting guard and with a better team around him will get far better looks than he was getting at Liberty. His shot attempts will decrease, but his shooting percentage should increase. In addition, he'd give us another quick player who can drive or take the 3 and help drive defense nuts, and if he is willing to pass (which i suspect, given his family, that he'd be willing to do so) then he'd help this entire team massively.

Gerald Henderson is an all-ACC first team selection, a physical marvel, and a walking lottery pick, but even he didn't average close to twenty points per game...so I think its best to temper expectations.

FireOgilvie
03-29-2009, 01:00 AM
Gerald Henderson is an all-ACC first team selection, a physical marvel, and a walking lottery pick, but even he didn't average close to twenty points per game...so I think its best to temper expectations.

I love Henderson, but he isn't the shooter that Curry is. JJ couldn't do 3/4 of the things Henderson can do, but he still averaged 27 a game... it's all about the shooting.

PS - Henderson averaged very close to 20 points per game... I think he was averaging 20 pts/gm in the ACC.

BlueintheFace
03-29-2009, 01:07 AM
I said earlier in this thread that I wouldn't believe that Duke had a shot at all until I heard that Duke got in contact with Liberty.

Now that they have.... http://www.roanoke.com/sports/vtbasketball/wb/199270

I feel a little more confident in saying, we could make a run at him. I still think this will end up being Wake's race to lose, but now I have hope.... stupid hope.... always kicking me in the butt

gotham devil
03-29-2009, 02:35 AM
I love Henderson, but he isn't the shooter that Curry is. JJ couldn't do 3/4 of the things Henderson can do, but he still averaged 27 a game... it's all about the shooting.

PS - Henderson averaged very close to 20 points per game... I think he was averaging 20 pts/gm in the ACC.

1)
Henderson shot 45% from the field and 33.6% from beyond the arc.
Curry, a 6' recruit listed by Liberty as 6'3," shot 41% from the field and 34.7% from beyond the arc.

2)
Henderson averaged 16.5 ppg.

FireOgilvie
03-29-2009, 03:00 AM
1)
Henderson shot 45% from the field and 33.6% from beyond the arc.
Curry, a 6' recruit listed by Liberty as 6'3," shot 41% from the field and 34.7% from beyond the arc.

2)
Henderson averaged 16.5 ppg.

Great, but they have completely different games. That's what I was trying to say earlier. Curry shot 294 3 pointers last year. Henderson shot 122. Henderson generally took 3s only when he was open, Curry had to take the JJ Redick approach (running around screens, etc)... and still shot 1% higher. JJ Redick made 41% of his FGs his freshman year, 42% sophomore, 40% junior, and 47% senior. Jon Scheyer shot 39% from the field this year. It's tough to have a high percentage when the majority of your points are from 3s. Also, Curry grew. There's no arguing that he is a great scorer. The question is whether or not he will fit into Duke's system (particularly on defense, IMO).

yancem
03-29-2009, 09:10 AM

Can I infer from your post that you recognize that Steph Curry would have been a very good player even at a school like Duke? Do you know that Seth is Steph's younger brother? If you do then I am unsure why you would not think that he is capable of being a similar talent as Steph. They both are sons of Dell Curry, are around 6'3', have solid if not great athleticism, have incredible out side shooting touch and have spectacular freshman seasons for small division 1, mid major teams. I see a lot of parallels. There are no guarantees but I think that the possibility of Seth being a great player for Duke is strong should he decides to join the team.

loran16
03-29-2009, 09:19 AM

G might have come a lot closer had he not had a much poorer non-conference season than conference season. I wouldn't be surprised to see G rack up 20/game next year if he stays.

Still, you're probably correct, but even 16-18/game for Seth in the ACC would be huge.

chrisheery
03-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Can I infer from your post that you recognize that Steph Curry would have been a very good player even at a school like Duke? Do you know that Seth is Steph's younger brother? If you do then I am unsure why you would not think that he is capable of being a similar talent as Steph. They both are sons of Dell Curry, are around 6'3', have solid if not great athleticism, have incredible out side shooting touch and have spectacular freshman seasons for small division 1, mid major teams. I see a lot of parallels. There are no guarantees but I think that the possibility of Seth being a great player for Duke is strong should he decides to join the team.

Liberty is no mid-major. Have you ever seen the place? And their competition is nowhere close to what Davidson plays against. So, the jump to the ACC will be a big step.

All that said, talent is talent. Its good he will have a year of practice with ACC level talent before he starts playing. I hope he does well, I certainly loved watching Steph play. If Seth can be anywhere near as entertaining, CBS would be really pleased.

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-29-2009, 11:48 AM
I think the Trajan Langdon comp for Curry is pretty fair at this point...

His Duke numbers are at the bottom of the following page linked below...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/langdtr01.html

I think it is pretty fair to say it is a pretty safe bet that Seth will be a great shooter, but it is up in the air exactly how much he would be able to create off of the dribble...

Granted, I have never seen Seth play and I am assuming traits based off what I have seen of his brother...

If I am way off base here with my assumptions, let me know...

davidson
03-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Seth was at Duke this weekend. Good luck in landing him - great kid, great talent, unbelievably wonderful family.

And number 30 should be available for him to wear right when he becomes eligible.

Travi_K
03-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Long time reader but seldom Poster but wanted to chime in on this one. Lets pretend we know nothing about Curry's highschool career (Curry has grown about 3 inches approx since Hschool) b/c in this scenario he is in a good highschool league in VA full of division one athletes that is considered good competition (Liberty's Conference) Let's also suppose that Duke is recruiting Curry. We know Curry is scoring 20 ppg and all the defenses in his very competitive high school league are geared at stopping him. We also know that Curry's highschool team, Liberty scrimmaged 2 ACC teams and he scored 24 and 26 pts against them and his team pulled off an upset against one of these teams. If all of the above were true in highschool we would be dead set on this kid. I think he is being undersold here big time and if he ends up somewhere else, we will have to pay by playing against him once or twice a year. Curry would be a soph going into a season with a big time veteran's experience. Doctors have already told Steph Curry that he is probably going to grow some more after his injury and Seth has followed his bro's growth patterns to a T so far. I would take him just the way he is, but imagine him in 2 years if he happened to grow another 2 inches. I definitely hope he ends up here. Like a poster above said his scoring avg will come down but his efficiency is almost guaranteed to go up. He will not be the center of other defenses and will be 2 years older. I think he could be great and IMO their is no question that he can play in the ACC.

gotham devil
03-29-2009, 02:49 PM
For those that have observed him, how is his perimeter defense?

How does it compare to elite Big East guards?

JDev
03-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Long time reader but seldom Poster but wanted to chime in on this one. Lets pretend we know nothing about Curry's highschool career b/c in this scenario he is in a good highschool league in VA full of division one athletes that is considered good competition (Liberty's Conference) Let's also suppose that Duke is recruiting Curry. We know Curry is scoring 20 ppg and all the defenses in his very competitive high school league are geared at stopping him. We also know that Curry's highschool team, Liberty scrimmaged 2 ACC teams and he scored 24 and 26 pts against them and his team pulled off an upset against one of these teams. If all of the above were true in highschool we would be dead set on this kid. I think he is being undersold here big time and if he ends up somewhere else, we will have to pay by playing against him once or twice a year. Curry would be a soph going into a season with a big time veteran's experience. Doctors have already told Steph Curry that he is probably going to grow some more after his injury and Seth has followed his bro's growth patterns to a T so far. I would take him just the way he is, but imagine him in 2 years if he happened to grow another 2 inches. I definitely hope he ends up here. Like a poster above said his scoring avg will come down but his efficiency is almost guaranteed to go up. He will not be the center of other defenses and will be 2 years older. I think he could be great.

That is a really good post and an interesting way to look at the Curry recruitment. I agree completely and think he could be a quality player at Duke, and I would be thrilled if they get him. To a certain extent he is a proven scorer, and a potential combo guard who is still growing. He could be a great secondary ball handler and primary shooter. Duke would be lucky to land him.

geraldsneighbor
03-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Long time reader but seldom Poster but wanted to chime in on this one. Lets pretend we know nothing about Curry's highschool career b/c in this scenario he is in a good highschool league in VA full of division one athletes that is considered good competition (Liberty's Conference) Let's also suppose that Duke is recruiting Curry. We know Curry is scoring 20 ppg and all the defenses in his very competitive high school league are geared at stopping him. We also know that Curry's highschool team, Liberty scrimmaged 2 ACC teams and he scored 24 and 26 pts against them and his team pulled off an upset against one of these teams. If all of the above were true in highschool we would be dead set on this kid. I think he is being undersold here big time and if he ends up somewhere else, we will have to pay by playing against him once or twice a year. Curry would be a soph going into a season with a big time veteran's experience. Doctors have already told Steph Curry that he is probably going to grow some more after his injury and Seth has followed his bro's growth patterns to a T so far. I would take him just the way he is, but imagine him in 2 years if he happened to grow another 2 inches. I definitely hope he ends up here. Like a poster above said his scoring avg will come down but his efficiency is almost guaranteed to go up. He will not be the center of other defenses and will be 2 years older. I think he could be great.

Really well said and a great perspective I think you took to look at this. If Duke can land him, there is no question the Devils would be better because of it. A year to develop from what he already is and that could make him even better. Plus he would be learning from a very veteran laden cast that Duke has next year.

chrisheery
03-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Long time reader but seldom Poster but wanted to chime in on this one. Lets pretend we know nothing about Curry's highschool career (Curry has grown about 3 inches approx since Hschool) b/c in this scenario he is in a good highschool league in VA full of division one athletes that is considered good competition (Liberty's Conference) Let's also suppose that Duke is recruiting Curry. We know Curry is scoring 20 ppg and all the defenses in his very competitive high school league are geared at stopping him. We also know that Curry's highschool team, Liberty scrimmaged 2 ACC teams and he scored 24 and 26 pts against them and his team pulled off an upset against one of these teams. If all of the above were true in highschool we would be dead set on this kid. I think he is being undersold here big time and if he ends up somewhere else, we will have to pay by playing against him once or twice a year. Curry would be a soph going into a season with a big time veteran's experience. Doctors have already told Steph Curry that he is probably going to grow some more after his injury and Seth has followed his bro's growth patterns to a T so far. I would take him just the way he is, but imagine him in 2 years if he happened to grow another 2 inches. I definitely hope he ends up here. Like a poster above said his scoring avg will come down but his efficiency is almost guaranteed to go up. He will not be the center of other defenses and will be 2 years older. I think he could be great.

Well, I guess you should post more often. That was nice. Great point.

Travi_K
03-29-2009, 03:35 PM

mph
03-29-2009, 03:56 PM

Liberty, as a whole, played mediocre defense. The games I watched were largely man to man with some 2-3 and 1-3-1 trap sprinkled in. Seth did a good job pressuring the ball and creating turnovers with his quick hands. However, Liberty did a poor job hedging and switching screens, resulting in easy dribble penetration. I don't know if this was a strategic problem or a communication problem, but Curry was screened off of his man repeatedly in the CIT game against JMU, leading to several easy layups. I think Curry has the talent and desire to play Duke's aggressive style of man to man, but it will be a big adjustment. Fortunately, he'd have a year to learn the defense.

LaettnerWannabe
03-29-2009, 03:59 PM

Good question. I have never seen him play and would also like to know about his defense. I think we have all seen plenty of scorers come to Duke and sit on the bench because of their defense.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-29-2009, 07:24 PM
FWIW, Tom Sorensen is reporting Curry to Duke (http://blogs.charlotte.com/tom_talks/2009/03/seth-curry-will-transfer-to-duke.html).

Not sure what this means for other recruits.

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-29-2009, 07:28 PM
That quick?

Wow.....I am not taking that as set in stone, but it still has my pulse going...

chrisheery
03-29-2009, 07:29 PM
So fast. Amazing. Is Watzone around to confirm/deny?

Travi_K
03-29-2009, 07:30 PM
http://www.mynewsadvance.com/index.php/chris_lang/comments/curry_lands_at_duke/

calltheobvious
03-29-2009, 07:32 PM
My head is spinning. I hesitate to say woohoo, but holy cow.

Let's press: come on, point guard!

killerleft
03-29-2009, 07:38 PM
I thought we might be getting him. One of the posters in this thread made a comment that, coupled with his past history here, led me to believe this. If it is indeed true, maybe he'll give us the details.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-29-2009, 07:39 PM
If this holds up, I'm very excited. Curry was off to a strong start and will have the advantage of a year to learn the system and mature physically and in terms of his game. It sounds like the staff was on their game today. Here's hoping they made such a positive impression on everyone they met with today. :)

accfanfrom1970
03-29-2009, 07:45 PM
They just announced it on ESPN - Digger says "what?" "what?"

loran16
03-29-2009, 07:46 PM
ESPN just reported it as well, so its a done deal. Well that ought to help our guard situation in the long term. Also he gets a year to learn the system completely, so it's not like he'll require some time...he can jump right into the rotation in 2 years.

EDIT: I think Digger's reaction was because it wasn't on their desk and they were there to discuss the F4...hehe.

Adjust
03-29-2009, 07:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026095

There's the link it's official we got Seth.

accfanfrom1970
03-29-2009, 07:50 PM
When he is eligible in 2010-11, what other recruits come in that year? (Dawkins, Thorton?) Aren't there 2 other guards coming in that year? Does this help with any other bigger guys? Does this mean other guards won't be coming?

tysi1521
03-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Yessssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!:):)

loran16
03-29-2009, 07:55 PM
When he is eligible in 2010-11, what other recruits come in that year? (Dawkins, Thorton?) Aren't there 2 other guards coming in that year? Does this help with any other bigger guys? Does this mean other guards won't be coming?

Probably not a concern.

Current Scholarship Roster:
G
Scheyer
Lance
Zou
--------
Singler
Smith
-------
Elliot
Miles
Czyz

Next year we gain Kelly&Mason.....if we gain Wall, we lose him after one year anyhow so no problem. Then we lose the 4 seniors (assuming G stays) and perhaps Kyle Singler. If Kyle stays we'll have 7 scholarships before Curry, Thornton etc come on...and this is assuming no one transfers out (Possibility for Czyz).

So I'm pretty sure we can still add to the 2010 class (Harrison Barnes) and perhaps one more player perhaps and still not be overburdened by scholarships.

weezie
03-29-2009, 07:55 PM
A silver lining to what was a pretty dreary, cloud filled weekend!

Welcome Mr. Curry!!

RainingThrees
03-29-2009, 07:58 PM
YES!!!! Just heard the news. If he is 3/4 the player his brother is I will be more than satisfied.

JDev
03-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Good stuff! A skilled scoring guard with great pedigree that will have a year long opportunity to grow and learn the system. I look forward to seeing him in Duke blue!

bgibbs1001
03-29-2009, 07:59 PM

Now if we can get Barnes and Irving we are back in the FF.

Adjust
03-29-2009, 08:00 PM
YES!!!! Just heard the news. If he is 3/4 the player his brother is I will be more than satisfied.

I read a couple articles on ESPN where they are saying he is better than his brother.

dukebsbll14
03-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Someone UNC fan just texted me saying "final four tastes pretty good."
Now I can text them back without using any obscene language:)

Thank You Mr. Curry:)

RainingThrees
I read a couple articles on ESPN where they are saying he is better than his brother.

His brother played better competition also. We will eventually see.

DukePA
Welcome, Seth!!

DevilCastDownfromDurham
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026095

There's the link it's official we got Seth.

From the article:

"Dell Curry said the family was wowed by the new Duke practice facility, which Dell said is on par with NBA facilities."

This is a very good thing.

Welcome to Duke, Seth. We're all very, very excited to have you. :)

CDu
03-29-2009, 08:02 PM

We have two freshman guards in that class. I believe we are recruiting others. Smith would be a senior, and Williams would be a junior. So we'd have at least five guards in the rotation - that's a good number assuming a three-guard backcourt. It remains to be seen whether we get a guy for next year who is still around. It may or may not affect the recruiting for another guard in the Thornton/Dawkins/Hairston class - I really don't know.

We'd have a number of bigger guys, too. Two Plumlees, Kelly, and Hairston at least. Maybe a senior Singler (though I'm not holding my breath). Maybe another freshman.

Among the tweeners, we'd have a junior Czyz, and maybe Barnes. The 2010-2011 team is shaping up to potentially be quite interesting. Now if we could just land Wall for next year and be fortunate enough to have Henderson stick around, we'll have an unbelievable 2009-2010 team as well. :)

BD80
03-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Seth was at Duke this weekend. Good luck in landing him - great kid, great talent, unbelievably wonderful family. ...

That would mean we got the first visit? Methinks that would be a good sign.

CDu
03-29-2009, 08:09 PM
This is pretty exciting news. It's always nice to get a kid who you know can compete against ACC competition (average 25ppg on 60.6% fg% in 2 games against ACC competition this year). He'll have a year to get accustomed to the system and develop physically, and then join the team as a third-year sophomore. Just terrific news for Duke. Looks like Coach K's recruiting ability isn't dead yet!

Cameron
03-29-2009, 08:14 PM
I am glowing.

Thank you Seth, and Welcome!

We Are Duke.

BlueintheFace
03-29-2009, 08:15 PM
YES!!! I told myself over and over again that it would be wake and not us in order to not get my hopes up, but not now baby! Hopes are sky high!!!!

CameronBornAndBred
03-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Wow and woohooo! That was fast!

dukeman28428
03-29-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks for choosing the Blue Devils.

Can't wait to see you in in Cameron!!

Cameron
03-29-2009, 08:20 PM
I feel like dancing.

I'm really excited. I've been smiling for 10 minutes.

As another poster stated yesterday, just like Dahntay Jones in 2000-01, we are going to have an amazing practice star next season who will really push Jon, Gerald, Elliot, and Nolan. Then, in 2010-11, Seth will be ready to can triples in Cameron.

This is beautiful, folks.

(GERALD!)

OZZIE4DUKE
03-29-2009, 08:22 PM
Congratulations to Seth and a big welcome to the family! :D We look forward to seeing you on the court in the fall of 2010! :cool:

mgtr
03-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Great news to help soften the blow of being destroyed by Villanova! Go Duke!

Dr. Tina
03-29-2009, 08:25 PM
Welcome Seth Curry! I can't wait to watch you in action in a few seasons! Sweetness!

sandinmyshoes
03-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Never hurts to have a shooter. And his stats indicate he's a good free throw shooter as well. Guys like that are great to have when you're trying to hold on to a lead down the stretch.

Kim*
03-29-2009, 08:29 PM
I feel like dancing.

I'm really excited. I've been smiling for 10 minutes.

As another poster stated yesterday, just like Dahntay Jones in 2000-01, we are going to have an amazing practice star next season who will really push Jon, Gerald, Elliot, and Nolan. Then, in 2010-11, Seth will be ready to can triples in Cameron.

This is beautiful, folks.

(GERALD!)
Agree, agree, agree, agree! I've been beaming ever since I heard the news.
2010 better watch it's back because the Devils are comin' out like gangbusters.

moonpie23
03-29-2009, 08:30 PM
wlecome Seth Curry.....looking forward to you playing for the devils..

:)

RainingThrees
03-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Him and Andre Dawkins. Both sharpshooters Duke needs. This will free up the post for Kelly, or the Plumlees. Andre can drive to, not sure about Seth.

Newton_14
03-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Awesome news! I am stoked! The tide is changing folks, I feel it, I really do. We are starting to get key recruits now verses losing them. If we can seal the deal with Barnes and get either one of Wall or Bledsoe, we can take that final step back to strong final four/national title contenders.

I just had a great feeling when it was reported he wanted to come to the ACC and a North Carolina school. I just felt there was too much turmoil at both Wake and State and too crowded at unc.

What a great start to the off season!!!

sandinmyshoes
03-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Looking at his stats. He appears to have had good games against UVA and Clemson, which helps to ease any worry about the competition he faced while at Liberty. And he did it without many (if any) ACC level players around him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=41546

FireOgilvie
03-29-2009, 08:39 PM
In the games I watched this year, Seth showed flashes of being a good, maybe potentially great passer... he's very crafty... and I think he could develop this part of his game just as his brother did. I want to see us get a PG for 2010 (either Bledsoe now, or Irving/Knight/?), and we can have the potential to run a 2 PG system a lot like what 'Nova did this year. I think we would be very effective with that along with our mobile big guys.

Welcome Seth!

RelativeWays
03-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Great news, but I think its important to remember that we really want Seth to be the best Duke player he can be, not Duke savior, not Steph Curry part 2. There are no guarantees, but if he has the game, he will be needed. If he just averages 8-12 pts a game but is able to pass and drive well, thats just as good to me

VaDukie
03-29-2009, 08:43 PM
If he works out anywhere near as well as our other 2 transfers under K then I think we're going to be very happy about the Seth Curry era.

DUKIE V(A)
03-29-2009, 08:43 PM
YES!!! A shooter with plenty of quicks. Great kid. Great family. Much needed good news today.

captmojo
03-29-2009, 08:45 PM
See how I'm all happy and giggly and stuff. :):D

BlueintheFace
03-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Looking at the year in which he becomes eligible, the roster will most likely look a bit like this:

1) Nolan Smith (Sr)/ Tyler Thornton (Fr)/ Eric Bledsoe (So)** or Kyrie Irving** (Fr) or Brandon Knight (Fr)**

2) Elliot Williams (Jr)/ Andre Dawkins (Fr.)

3) Seth Curry (So)/ Harrison Barnes (Fr.)**

4) Kyle Singler (Sr)/ Ryan Kelly (So)

5) Miles Plumlee (Jr.)/ Mason Plumlee (So)

** Player pursued but not signed

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Great news, but I think its important to remember that we really want Seth to be the best Duke player he can be, not Duke savior, not Steph Curry part 2. There are no guarantees, but if he has the game, he will be needed. If he just averages 8-12 pts a game but is able to pass and drive well, thats just as good to me

That's a really, really great point. Seth will play an important role for us, and I'm very excited to have him. But if his name wasn't "Curry" we'd be talking about an unranked 2-star recruit (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2929420) who struggles with "ballhandling" and "finishing." Let's all welcome Seth and be excited, bit let's not weigh him down with unfair and unrealistic expectations.

loran16
03-29-2009, 08:52 PM
That's a really, really great point. Seth will play an important role for us, and I'm very excited to have him. But if his name wasn't "Curry" we'd be talking about an unranked 2-star recruit (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2929420) who struggles with "ballhandling" and "finishing." Let's all welcome Seth and be excited, bit let's not weigh him down with unfair and unrealistic expectations.

Errr, what? You do know that ratings cease to be that important since they don't....adjust themselves for actual college performance? The dude led all frosh scorers, did really well vs two acc teams (one of whom was clemson before they had their slump) and has a true FG& of around 55%.

Uh...yeah he's worth more than 2 stars.

EDIT: By that measure, Stephen Curry would be a mediocre 3 star recruit.

roywhite
03-29-2009, 08:52 PM

His high school prep profile is not very descriptive of the kind of player he is now, a 20 ppg scorer as a college freshman. One thing the profile from 2008 indicates is that he is a late bloomer, and should be evaluated every few months.

He performed well this year in college and got a terrific endorsement in the form of a quick scholarship offer from Coach K. He'll be a player.

Welcome, Seth.

RainingThrees
03-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Looking at the year in which he becomes eligible, the roster will most likely look a bit like this:

1) Nolan Smith (Sr)/ Tyler Thornton (Fr)/ Eric Bledsoe (So)** or Kyrie Irving** (Fr) or Brandon Knight (Fr)**

I think Elliot Williams will be more of a wing and Curry will be a 2 guard. Remember Curry is only 6"3'. And Olek might still be on the team and playing the 4 if Kyle isn't there. Actually in front of Olek will be Josh Hairston he's a 5 star recruit.

RelativeWays
03-29-2009, 08:54 PM
You know....I thinks this helps us with Barnes. We have to look more attractive right now to him. I think signs are good for Harrison coming to Duke but this may put it over. He'd be playing with a good talented core

jimsumner
03-29-2009, 08:57 PM
I think relying on an old scout.com scouting report to evaluate a player who since then has played a season of D-1 basketball makes absolutely zero sense.

And for the folks who think that this somehow marks a turning point in Krzyzewski's ability to recruit, exactly where were you when he signed or received committments from Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Andre Dawkins, Josh Hairston, and Tyler Thornton?

I'm delighted with this news. Curry is a significant pickup. And if you doubt the ability of a player to come in from a second-tier conference and play at a high level in the ACC, I have two words. Jack McClinton.

robed deity
03-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Steph Curry was also not highly reguarded (3 stars ) and also struggled with "strength" and "finishing." We all know how good he is now.

That being said, I agree-let's not saddle him with ridiculous expectations.

Travi_K
03-29-2009, 08:59 PM
In the games I watched this year, Seth showed flashes of being a good, maybe potentially great passer... he's very crafty... and I think he could develop this part of his game just as his brother did. I want to see us get a PG for 2010 (either Bledsoe now, or Irving/Knight/?), and we can have the potential to run a 2 PG system a lot like what 'Nova did this year. I think we would be very effective with that along with our mobile big guys.

Welcome Seth!

Yes, definitely looks pretty crafty in this you tube video and also makes a couple players fall down with some juke moves. However, I haven't seen too many players not look good in a highlight video.

bfree
So in 2010, assuming no more additions and no early departures, we'd have a roster of:

PG: Smith (Sr); Thornton (Fr)
SG: Williams (Jr); Curry (So*); Dawkins (Fr)
SF: Singler (Sr);
PF: Kelly (So); Czyk (Jr); Hairston (Fr);
C: Plumlee (So); Plumlee (Jr)

Looking at that group, the only hole is really at the SF spot. Knowing that K doesn't really play a 1-5 and a lineup of Smith, Curry, Williams, Singler, Plumlee is probably more likely doesn't really change that we really could use one more versatile 6-6 to 6-9 player who can attack off the wing and still bang a little and guard bigger players. I know we can all think of one.

And if we happen to have a departure (most likely being Singler as a 3 year graduate/pro or Czyk as a transfer I would guess, and that's total speculation), we'd have one more spot assuming we add the above need. Before the Curry signing I was a big fan of Irving (admittedly based on a few flashes of brilliance on ESPN), but I just can't see that happening with five quality players at the 1-2 positions. So if Singler or Czyk leave, I think we would really need another 6-6 to 6-9 wing more than we need another guard. Not a lot of backup plans to Barnes have come up, but I'd guess we'd go to one of them....

Is that at all close to correct?

Edit: Didn't notice someone did this same thing above, my bad!

DevilCastDownfromDurham
Again, I'm elated to have Seth on board. All I'm saying is let's let him become his own player. I've seen too many cases where "this kid will be amazing" becomes "this kid stinks" when he someone doesn't live up to unfair fan expectations. Seth will be a valuable member of our team next season and will have an impact on the court in 2010-11.

captmojo
03-29-2009, 09:00 PM
I think relying on an old scout.com scouting report to evaluate a player who since then has played a season of D-1 basketball makes absolutely zero sense.

And for the folks who think that this somehow marks a turning point in Krzyzewski's ability to recruit, exactly where were you when he signed or received committments from Mason Plumlee, Ryan Kelly, Andre Dawkins, Josh Hairston, and Tyler Thornton?

I'm delighted with this news. Curry is a significant pickup. And if you doubt the ability of a player to come in from a second-tier conference and play at a high level in the ACC, I have two words. Jack McClinton.

'Nuff said!

If you look who's online, everyone is reading this thread. You know it's a big deal.

RainingThrees
03-29-2009, 09:01 PM

I see it as...

2) Seth Curry (So)/ Andre Dawkins (Fr.)

3) Elliot Williams (Jr)/ Harrison Barnes (Fr.)**

4) Ryan Kelly (So)/ Josh Hairston (Fr.)

If Singler sticks around it will be a big bonus.

DukieBoy
03-29-2009, 09:08 PM
This makes losing Saturday so less painful. Giving Seth a full year to develop after a very successful rookie year is very optimistic. Hopefully he can turn out to have the type of shot his brother has, because with as many weapons as we could have, he could be a HUGE asset.

Newton_14
03-29-2009, 09:10 PM

Jim, I agree with you 100%. That is why I said the tide is turning and K is back to signing really good prospects. The last 10 months or so has been amazing with the number of quality pick ups. I for one am a believer that both Mason and R Kelly are going to be immediate impact players, as well as all of the 2010 kids. And I have a great feeling Barnes will soon commit as well.

As for Curry, I think you throw away and dismiss the High School profiles on Scout and Rivals and simply go to the tapes of his games at Liberty. To me this is a really good pickup. He gets a year to practice and learn the Duke system and grow his game. He then has a 3 year career with a year of college play and a year of practicing with Duke under his belt. You have to believe when he steps on the floor for the first time as a Blue Devil he will be more than ready to contribute. Very unique situation. I can't wait to see it.

BlueintheFace
03-29-2009, 09:12 PM
I see it as...

2) Seth Curry (So)/ Andre Dawkins (Fr.)

3) Elliot Williams (Jr)/ Harrison Barnes (Fr.)**

4) Ryan Kelly (So)/ Josh Hairston (Fr.)

If Singler sticks around it will be a big bonus.

Yah, that looks better. I think Singler will be a four-year player myself

CDu
03-29-2009, 09:13 PM

I'm not sure why you'd have Curry at the 3 and Williams at the 2, when Williams is taller and a better leaper. I realize that the 2 and 3 in college are largely interchangeable, but I'd suspect Williams would get the assignment of the bigger player there. I'd see Curry as a 2.

Also, you've left Josh Hairston (a "4") off this list.

BD80
03-29-2009, 09:13 PM
Can you imagine the trash talking between G and Seth in practice?

My Dad won an NBA championship;
your Dad was a third round pic;
your Dad was the sixth man for an expansion team;
your Dad only played 13 years in the League... :D

G Sr and Dell overlapped for six years in the NBA, so I am certain they faced off on a few occasions. Wonder if we could get them in some basketball shoes and shorts together on practice court?

Travi_K
03-29-2009, 09:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3CXon8Ve0

Okay sorry about that this link is much better and longer without cutting you off and also without the hard core rap.

roywhite
03-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Seth just turned 18 in August; a redshirt year is likely to help him physically, and to adjust to the level of competition by playing against current Duke players in practice.

MrBisonDevil
03-29-2009, 09:20 PM
This is the happiest I've ever been 1wk after a Duke tourney loss.

Glass Half Full:
+ Seth has an entire year to practice and learn our system.
+ Seth has an entire year to improve ball handling and learn from Jon Scheyer & Nolan Smith on how to be a shooting guard who plays the point.
+ Seth has an entire year to get stronger.
+ Duke has a guard position locked up with a proven college player.

Seth is not a basketball savior but he is the kind of kid I want at Duke and on our basketball team.

GO DUKE!

RainingThrees
03-29-2009, 09:21 PM
This is the happiest I've ever been 1wk after a Duke tourney loss.

Glass Half Full:
+ Seth has an entire year to practice and learn our system.
+ Seth has an entire year to improve ball handling and learn from Jon Scheyer & Nolan Smith on how to be a shooting guard who plays the point.
+ Seth has an entire year to get stronger.
+ Duke has a guard position locked up with a proven college player.

Seth is not a basketball savior but he is the kind of kid I want at Duke and on our basketball team.

GO DUKE!

I think Jon and Nolan still need to learn how to become a point after being a 2.

DukieBoy
03-29-2009, 09:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3CXon8Ve0

Okay sorry about that this link is much better and longer without cutting you off and also without the hard core rap.

After watching this, it seems to me that

He has very good court vision, like his brother
He doesn't nearly as quick of a release, but still a very smooth shot
He is a solid ball handler with a nasty crossover
He still has some growing to do

Give him a full year with Duke's coaches and let him mature, and he could be a force to reckon with.

roywhite
03-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Seth Greenberg at VaTech will not be happy to see Seth Curry playing for Duke against the Hokies. :)

sue71, esq
03-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Can you imagine the trash talking between G and Seth in practice?

My Dad won an NBA championship;
your Dad was a third round pic;
your Dad was the sixth man for an expansion team;
your Dad only played 13 years in the League... :D

G Sr and Dell overlapped for six years in the NBA, so I am certain they faced off on a few occasions. Wonder if we could get them in some basketball shoes and shorts together on practice court?

POTW! This was great... love to be fly on the wall for that one!

NSDukeFan
03-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Wow! What great news! Too bad K is out of touch and can't get players anymore.

RainingThrees
03-29-2009, 09:30 PM
Wow! What great news! Too bad K is out of touch and can't get players anymore.

I know right? I think its time he retire, lets talk about a successor. :D

SupaDave
03-29-2009, 09:32 PM
YES!!! I told myself over and over again that it would be wake and not us in order to not get my hopes up, but not now baby! Hopes are sky high!!!!

Hmmmm... I remember your posts. You sure about that?

mgtr
03-29-2009, 09:39 PM

I will gladly second that (and third and fourth if I can!). Welcome aboard, young man, we are happy to have you.

JDev
03-29-2009, 09:41 PM
If Duke (hopefully) adds Harrison Barnes to the group that becomes eligible in 2010, that is a tremendous group:
Seth Curry
Andre Dawkins
Josh Hairston
Tyler Thornton
Harrison Barnes*

BlueintheFace
03-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Hmmmm... I remember your posts. You sure about that?

Yes (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=279712&postcount=94)

I am very sure (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=279955&postcount=120)

I couldn't be more sure (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=277687&postcount=52) about it.

Boom Roasted. haha

DukieBoy
03-29-2009, 09:45 PM
If Duke (hopefully) adds Harrison Barnes to the group that becomes eligible in 2010, that is a tremendous group:
Seth Curry
Andre Dawkins
Josh Hairston
Tyler Thornton
Harrison Barnes*

Sure looks like Coach K should just stop recruiting :D

RainingThrees
03-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Seth Curry
Andre Dawkins
Josh Hairston
Tyler Thornton
Harrison Barnes*

And possibly another guard like Kyrie Irving, Rascoe Smith, Mychael Parker, or Brandon Knight. Only one of those if any. And there is a long shot with big man Josh Smith.

BlueintheFace
03-29-2009, 09:49 PM
Sure looks like Coach K should just stop recruiting :D

That is a lot of guards... guess we are going to need them.

DukieBoy
03-29-2009, 09:50 PM
And possibly another guard like Kyrie Irving, Rascoe Smith, Mychael Parker, or Brandon Knight. Only one of those if any. And there is a long shot with big man Josh Smith.

How many scholarships do we have for 09-10? That's alot of people if Any of those guards and/or Smith comes.

DUKIE V(A)
03-29-2009, 09:54 PM
I know...Another soft, suburban kid! Coach K and the staff are losing it.

Lulu
03-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Wow, I can't even keep up with the thread. Finally got to the end. This is fantastic news. Cannot believe this seemed like nothing more than a vague, unsubstantiated rumor a week ago. When did Duke get permission to talk to him? This is crazy, awesome, and crazy awesome.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-29-2009, 10:08 PM

Agreed. We have the foundation for a really special class. Dawkins and Barnes (fingers crossed) should be immediate impact guys, while Thornton, Hairston, and Curry give us security and solid play for 3-4 seasons. If we can add a PG like Knight to run the show (to say nothing of Smith) this could be a program-changing class like the Killer B's or the JWill/Boozer/Dun class. Hopefully Seth's buzz is the tipping point.

xblade
03-29-2009, 10:09 PM

What did he do against High Point, Presbyterian, Gardner-Webb and VMI?

DukieBoy
03-29-2009, 10:22 PM
What did he do against High Point, Presbyterian, Gardner-Webb and VMI?

High Point - 25 (in two games)
Presbyterian - 37 (2 games)
Gardner Webb - 66 (3 games)
VMI - 59 (3 games)

Here's is stats (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=41546) for each game this year

nicktonyg22
03-29-2009, 10:22 PM
@VMI (Liberty won)- 35 points, 6 boards, 3 steals
@Presbyterian (Liberty lost by 1) - 15 points
@High Point (Liberty won) -9 points
@Gardner-Webb (Liberty lost by 5)- 21 points, 7 boards, 4 assists
vs Pres (Liberty won) - 22 points, 5 boards, 3 assists
vs VMI (Liberty got smashed)- 14 points, 7 turnovers, 0 assists (yikes!)
vs High Point (Liberty won) - 14 points, 10 boards, 4 assists
vs Gardner-Webb (Liberty won)- 30 points, 4 boards, 6 assists

He looks amazing from his numbers... needs to work on not turning the ball over, but he was probably double teamed or at least keyed on bigtime in each game. Played 36.5 min/game

RelativeWays
03-29-2009, 10:24 PM
scored 9 in the 1st game against HP, 18 in the second, 35 in the 1st game against VMI, 10 in the second, 15 and 22 in the two games against the blue hose, 21 and 30 in two games with GWU. Its okay but he's clearly no Larry Drew part 2.

RainingThrees
03-29-2009, 10:40 PM
From what I have read he is a scorer and not quite the shooter that his brother is. Duke needs somebody besides Henderson that can score something besides layups and 3's. Did I ever mention I have a brother named Seth?

FerryFor50
03-29-2009, 10:45 PM
From what I have read he is a scorer and not quite the shooter that his brother is. Duke needs somebody besides Henderson that can score something besides layups and 3's. Did I ever mention I have a brother named Seth?

A buddy of mine said that Liberty won't miss him - that he has a very different demeanor than his brother. More of a sense of entitlement and such. Who knows... I think Coach K knows what he's doing in bringing him in. Sometimes people are in situations that just aren't right for them.

RainingThrees
03-29-2009, 10:50 PM
A buddy of mine said that Liberty won't miss him - that he has a very different demeanor than his brother. More of a sense of entitlement and such. Who knows... I think Coach K knows what he's doing in bringing him in. Sometimes people are in situations that just aren't right for them.

Could just be sour grapes. We will see.

FerryFor50
03-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Could just be sour grapes. We will see.

Agreed. Could be a lot of things - like, playing at Liberty. :p

Hopefully, coming to a school that's bigger than he is will level him off.

jv001
It's great that we're talking about someone transferring in rather than discussing someone transferring out this year. While it may still happen I'm glad to get some good news after the Nova game. Now let's get Wall and Harrison soon. Go Duke!

BlueintheFace

No offense to any Liberty grads on the board, but Liberty is a very very VERY different place from your usual university.

FerryFor50
03-29-2009, 10:53 PM
No offense to any Liberty grads on the board, but Liberty is a very very VERY different place from your usual university.

Yea, I'm sure it is. It's probably partly being said because my buddy is a UNC grad and wants to spread the negativity early.

I can't imagine Seth being much different than his brother.

loran16
03-29-2009, 10:54 PM

I suspect this isn't totally false...part of the reason why Seth appears to be transferring is unlike his brother he's frustrated by constantly facing defenses solely geared to face him. That said i believe its probably an exaggeration.

Stephen is incredibly....i don't know, uber-competitive in that when he sees defenses geared totally to stop him, he's not discouraged or annoyed but just feels that he is facing a challenge. Yet at the same time he's willing to give the ball up to his teammates when appropriate, which is terrific. Of course, his teammates are far better than Seth's were at Liberty and last year Jason Richards allowed for Stephen to compete at his best every game. Still, Stephen's willingness to put up with defenses geared to stop him and not be frustrated is the exception id think.

Most players....aren't like that. I'm not saying Seth is completely selfish. He's certainly competitive. But most players facing seth's problems every game would be endless frustrated and want to play in a game where teams weren't geared up totally to stop him. Is it a bit selfish to say that...as it certainly implies a lack of faith in his teammates...but his teammates aren't as good as his brother's. Seth feels, like most players, that he should be able to show his skills without having the pressure he has at liberty. Does that make him feel more entitled than Stephen? More selfish? Sure. Is it wrong or inappropriate in a Dukie? I dont think so.

turnandburn55
03-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Again, I think this is absolutely huge for next year....

Having a redshirt player of his pedigree and with a hunger to succeed will pay big dividends even while he doesn't play

I was a sophomore in 2000-2001 when K would say repeatedly that having Dahntay Jones in practice pushed all the starters to a whole new level of excellence.

Plus it gives him a year to develop his game without the pressure of "doing too much" in real-time situations.

K is awesome!

RelativeWays
03-29-2009, 10:56 PM
Isn't Liberty Falwell U? If so, yeah I would want out at the first opportunity.

COYS
03-29-2009, 11:03 PM

This is just excellent news. The 2010 class not only has some really talented players, but they all do different things. Dawkins is a great athlete with outside touch. Thornton is a pure point with good defensive skills. Hairston is a versatile 4. Curry is a 2 who can slide over to the 1 if necessary and can really light up the scoreboard. Man, adding Barnes or anyone else to that class would make it outstanding. All we'll have on the perimeter besides the freshmen and redshirt sophomore are Smith and Williams, so depth at the guard spot is important for that class.

Lord Ash
03-29-2009, 11:09 PM

It is indeed, and I couldn't agree more. Among the other activities not allowed at Liberty are...

... drinking.
... going to a dance.
... smoking.
... going to an R rated movie.
... entering the bedroom of a member of the opposite sex.
... wearing shorts in a classroom.

Yikes. Welcome to Duke, where all of those horrible things are certainly permissible!

RainingThrees
03-29-2009, 11:19 PM
It is indeed, and I couldn't agree more. Among the other activities not allowed at Liberty are...

... drinking.
... going to a dance.
... smoking.
... going to an R rated movie.
... entering the bedroom of a member of the opposite sex.
... wearing shorts in a classroom.

Yikes. Welcome to Duke, where all of those horrible things are certainly permissible!

Oh wow!! And people wonder why he transferred. Liberty is now off my college list.

365Duke
03-29-2009, 11:26 PM
dont turn this happy thread into a Liberty or religious bashing thread!

Lord Ash
03-29-2009, 11:30 PM
dont turn this happy thread into a Liberty or religious bashing thread!

I am pretty sure we can poke a little fun at a college that doesn't allow you to wear shorts or go to dances or see R rated films :) And religion never really entered the picture here, as I am relatively sure that the Bible doesn't mention shorts... in fact, did shorts even exist in those days? :)

Anyway... maybe it is all beside the point:) Glad to have the younger Curry on board!

RainingThrees
03-29-2009, 11:32 PM
I am pretty sure we can poke a little fun at a college that doesn't allow you to wear shorts or go to dances or see R rated films :) And religion never really entered the picture here, as I am relatively sure that the Bible doesn't mention shorts... in fact, did shorts even exist in those days? :)

Anyway... maybe it is all beside the point:) Glad to have the younger Curry on board!

So they wouldn't let students go see "The Passion of the Christ?"

BD80
03-29-2009, 11:48 PM

OK, the Dad is famous for being one of the top sixth men in the history of the NBA, and the son chooses to play for Duke, where a three year starter was just relegated to the bench and ended up playing very few minutes. Yeah, his attitude is a real concern. I'll bet Dell will be in contact will Coach K on a regular basis, and will help with and support any attitude adjustment or maintenance efforts.

geraldsneighbor
03-29-2009, 11:51 PM
OK, the Dad is famous for being one of the top sixth men in the history of the NBA, and the son chooses to play for Duke, where a three year starter was just relegated to the bench and ended up playing very few minutes. Yeah, his attitude is a real concern. I'll bet Dell will be in contact will Coach K on a regular basis, and will help with and support any attitude adjustment or maintenance efforts.

A friend of mine is involved with the team there and said he is not short on confidence. He think he is going to be a great player but he needs to develop obviously.

mph
03-29-2009, 11:54 PM

I think this is wishful thinking from your UNC friend. I work at Liberty and coach a good friend of his from Charlotte Christian. Seth is a good kid and I've never heard anything consistent with your friend's take. I'll be shocked if he comes to Duke with a "me first" attitude. I'm sad to see him leave Liberty but thrilled he's headed to Duke.

No offense taken. It's a fact that Liberty's not for everybody and, speaking from the perspective of a coach, it's hard to recruit students who want to attend a school with Liberty's unique set of rules. That said, the rules tend to be a lot easier to live with than it might appear at first glance (especially for athletes and other traveling teams). In any case, I believe him when he says this was strictly a basketball decision.

So as to not lead this thread further afield, I'll limit myself to saying that listing all of the things students can't do at Liberty without context is misleading and paints a distorted picture of campus life at LU.

BulldogDancer81
03-29-2009, 11:56 PM
So I just got home and saw the great news. I'm soooo excited!!! Seriously, I'm doing little happy dances sitting here on my coach. Best news I've gotten all day.

speedevil2001
03-30-2009, 12:20 AM
I think Elliot Williams will be more of a wing and Curry will be a 2 guard. Remember Curry is only 6"3'. And Olek might still be on the team and playing the 4 if Kyle isn't there. Actually in front of Olek will be Josh Hairston he's a 5 star recruit.

i wouldnt be surprised if elliot and singler are gone after next year.

FireOgilvie
03-30-2009, 12:23 AM

I would be totally shocked if Elliot left after next year. Unless he suddenly develops a deadly shot and starts averaging 18 pts, 6 reb, 5 assists a game, there's no way he's going after next year... unless he wants to go undrafted.

RainingThrees
03-30-2009, 12:24 AM

Singler yes, but Elliot? He might not even start next year.

gotham devil
03-30-2009, 01:21 AM
Liberty, as a whole, played mediocre defense. The games I watched were largely man to man with some 2-3 and 1-3-1 trap sprinkled in. Seth did a good job pressuring the ball and creating turnovers with his quick hands. However, Liberty did a poor job hedging and switching screens, resulting in easy dribble penetration. I don't know if this was a strategic problem or a communication problem, but Curry was screened off of his man repeatedly in the CIT game against JMU, leading to several easy layups. I think Curry has the talent and desire to play Duke's aggressive style of man to man, but it will be a big adjustment. Fortunately, he'd have a year to learn the defense.

Thank you for the answer. I only had the patience to watch one game of Liberty's, but I found the team defense to be, um, underwhelming. For a lot of reasons, the adjustment year will be beneficial, but particularly to work on his man-to-man defense, which is generally how you get on the court at Duke.

This is just excellent news. The 2010 class not only has some really talented players, but they all do different things. Dawkins is a great athlete with outside touch. Thornton is a pure point with good defensive skills. Hairston is a versatile 4. Curry is a 2 who can slide over to the 1 if necessary and can really light up the scoreboard. Man, adding Barnes or anyone else to that class would make it outstanding. All we'll have on the perimeter besides the freshmen and redshirt sophomore are Smith and Williams, so depth at the guard spot is important for that class.

If Thornton is a pure point, why did he play off the ball during this season for his hs team, Gonzaga?

CameronCrazy'11
03-30-2009, 02:22 AM
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we win the National Championship the last time we had a transfer student sitting out.

-bdbd
03-30-2009, 02:34 AM
Short answer: Yes, he possibly could "be that spectacular."

Longer answer: I don't think Seth is going to come in and immediately average 20 points/game in the ACC at Duke. But, we know that he could. Look at what he did in his two games against ACC teams this year:

@Virginia (where Liberty WON) - 26 points, 9-17 fg, 4-8 3 pt
@Clemson (Liberty lost by 5) - 24 pts, 9-16 fg, 6-9 3pt

The kid can straight up score... and it doesn't matter who he is playing against. He put up 30 points 4 times this year. He's a freshman, and he's only going to improve his game.

Strange fact: Duke had the same record as Liberty against those two ACC teams... except Duke lost to Clemson by 27 and Liberty lost by 5.

Scheyer:
Virginia - 11 points
@Clemson - 3 points

This is great news, and certainly takes MY mind out of the doldrums of a NCAAT loss. (BTW, doesn't that Nova win over Pitt help validate us a little?? Now just gotta see them win the next one...)

Welcome to Duke Seth! You're going to love it here - a really special place. :-)

I was wondering if any of our recruiting gurus here could comment on how highly recruited Seth was coming out of HS in the 08 class? (If really highly rated, how'd he end up at Liberty? There's many possible reasons.) No doubt his offense fills a need we've been anticipating in 2010-2011. Great timing.

I just want to remind everyone, though, that our biggest needs remian: (1) Pure (speed) PG - yes that's you Msrs. Wall and Irving/Bledsoe, and (2) Post presence (come on east Mr. Smith!). Also, by the time of that season ('10-'11) we'll be needing a swing/penetrator -- come on down Mr. Barnes!

Can't you just feel the mo swingin' our way???

-BDBD :D

brevity
03-30-2009, 02:43 AM
Exciting news. Transfer situations in the K era have been both rare and special.

Memo to Cameron Crazies: maybe it's time to dust off the old "One More Kid" chant you used on Calvin and Janet Hill.

After all, Dell and Sonya Curry do have a teenage daughter. Don't know if she's concentrating on basketball, but we could use the inside track.

proelitedota
03-30-2009, 02:45 AM
When we play Davidson again next year, it'll be something special. :D

flyingdutchdevil
03-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Is Seth a natural 2? Can he play like the 1 like his brother, or is he so much more effective as a 2?