PDA

View Full Version : Which Would Be The Premier Coaching Job In College Basketball ?

NYC Duke Fan
03-24-2009, 02:42 AM
Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana, Kansas ? Probably considered the premier coaching jobs in college basketball.

Not who has the best basketball program but if a coach had his choice of any of the above schools which one do you think is considered the top job ?

Please rank them in order.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-24-2009, 03:24 AM
Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana, Kansas ? Probably considered the premier coaching jobs in college basketball.

Not who has the best basketball program but if a coach had his choice of any of the above schools which one do you think is considered the top job ?

Since I will be persuing a job in the coaching profession (High School Level) when I am done with my military commitment I will take a crack at this. I typed this and then started thinking about it and this is way harder than I thought It would be. I will do this unbiased and not think about my fan obligations.

1. UNC- I am basing this on the fact that they have a huge fanbase and optimal regional support. Also They have had success with multiple coaches Roy/Dean/Guthridge have all done well with this program. Can play with academic standards a bit

2. Duke- I don't know what will happen to this program when K retires, there is no telling. If you are not a Duke guy you would not have a chance here even if regularly made the tournament, but kept losing for 5 years straight in the 1st or second round. National fanbase a plus, but regional support is pro UNC also academic standards will play a role in recruiting.

3. Kansas- Regional support is awesome. We've seen mutiple coaches do well there. Fanbase is a bit more forgiving than others. Will have a better chance to prove yourself

4. Indiana- Excellent recruiting area, fanbase is forgiving such as this year when they were terrible, go to the IU boards and there is a sense of pride and hope there even after a terrible season after the Sampson years.

5. UCLA- West Coasts premiere team, if you can keep the california kids and the other west coast kids in the area you are good to go. Great fan support in the area and even a bit nationally.

6. Kentucky- most unforgiving fanbase in the US as I can tell, maybe NCSU is a close second or tied. They expect to be good every year and are unapologetic about it. Boosters have a lot of say in coaching situation as we are seeing with Tubby and Gillespie. However the tradition is amazing, and if you can get the fans/boosters on your side you could be in a great situation.

Theres my list now just so you know If offered I would definatly take any of these jobs along with the salaries that go with them.

also I realize Coach K was not a Duke guy when he was hired but who really thinks that would happen now.
now everyone disagree or ignore whatevers best for you.

Airforcedukie

devildownunder
03-24-2009, 06:15 AM
Since I will be persuing a job in the coaching profession (High School Level) when I am done with my military commitment I will take a crack at this. I typed this and then started thinking about it and this is way harder than I thought It would be. I will do this unbiased and not think about my fan obligations.

1. UNC- I am basing this on the fact that they have a huge fanbase and optimal regional support. Also They have had success with multiple coaches Roy/Dean/Guthridge have all done well with this program. Can play with academic standards a bit

2. Duke- I don't know what will happen to this program when K retires, there is no telling. If you are not a Duke guy you would not have a chance here even if regularly made the tournament, but kept losing for 5 years straight in the 1st or second round. National fanbase a plus, but regional support is pro UNC also academic standards will play a role in recruiting.

3. Kansas- Regional support is awesome. We've seen mutiple coaches do well there. Fanbase is a bit more forgiving than others. Will have a better chance to prove yourself

4. Indiana- Excellent recruiting area, fanbase is forgiving such as this year when they were terrible, go to the IU boards and there is a sense of pride and hope there even after a terrible season after the Sampson years.

5. UCLA- West Coasts premiere team, if you can keep the california kids and the other west coast kids in the area you are good to go. Great fan support in the area and even a bit nationally.

6. Kentucky- most unforgiving fanbase in the US as I can tell, maybe NCSU is a close second or tied. They expect to be good every year and are unapologetic about it. Boosters have a lot of say in coaching situation as we are seeing with Tubby and Gillespie. However the tradition is amazing, and if you can get the fans/boosters on your side you could be in a great situation.

Theres my list now just so you know If offered I would definatly take any of these jobs along with the salaries that go with them.

also I realize Coach K was not a Duke guy when he was hired but who really thinks that would happen now.

Airforcedukie

I agree with this list, for the most part. I would actually put Kansas above Duke, for the reasons you mention. It's tempting to say the Duke job is the best job but, really, the fact that so much regional support goes the way of the coach/program/school 8 miles away would be a major detraction, I would think, for someone not already established. Duke is the best job for K. One day (hopefully later than sooner) we'll find out how good it is for anyone else.

One question, why do think the Duke job has to go to an insider?

dukelifer
03-24-2009, 07:03 AM

Is it the tradition that makes it premier? Is it how much you get paid? Is it the loyalty of the fans? Is it the ease to get in the NCAA tourney given the competition in the conference? Is it because basketball is King at the given school? The fact that Duke is likely on that list with big public institutions tell you something.

loran16
03-24-2009, 09:22 AM

Airforcedukie

Mostly agree, but I'd put UCLA and Kansas above Duke.

Honestly when K leaves, the program will have to be careful not to miss a beat. Fortunately i don't think it'll be an issue for a while, and i imagine we wont have a "coaching search" but rather will have one of a few former players/disciples taking over (Dawkins perhaps?)

Reddevil
03-24-2009, 10:04 AM
I was pleased to see these 6 listed as I have long regarded these as the flagship programs of college bb as well. Places like Louisville, NC State, Georgetown, Arizona, etc. come and go, but these 6 have set themselves apart historically. I also think ranking the top shelf is a matter of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. A coach at one of these programs has made it to the highest level. Does that equate with happiness? Some one should ask Rick and Tubby. As far as Coach K not originally being a Duke guy, well that brings up an interesting concept. When a program achieves amazing success, and the coach retires, there is a natural tendency to want to keep things the same as much as possible. Usually, that results in the "keeping it in the family" approach. Usually, that fails. When you look back at what made the program successful, it was always a coach who came in with his own vision. Even so, emotion will win out almost every time, and some one from the family tree will be hired. Following a legend is tough. Success in that regard is very rare. The smart thing to do is to bring in a fresh outsider with his own vision. That said, when the time comes (10 years from now) I wish Coach Wojo all the best!:D

Indoor66
03-24-2009, 10:15 AM
I was pleased to see these 6 listed as I have long regarded these as the flagship programs of college bb as well. Places like Louisville, NC State, Georgetown, Arizona, etc. come and go, but these 6 have set themselves apart historically. I also think ranking the top shelf is a matter of beauty being in the eye of the beholder. A coach at one of these programs has made it to the highest level. Does that equate with happiness? Some one should ask Rick and Tubby. As far as Coach K not originally being a Duke guy, well that brings up an interesting concept. When a program achieves amazing success, and the coach retires, there is a natural tendency to want to keep things the same as much as possible. Usually, that results in the "keeping it in the family" approach. Usually, that fails. When you look back at what made the program successful, it was always a coach who came in with his own vision. Even so, emotion will win out almost every time, and some one from the family tree will be hired. Following a legend is tough. Success in that regard is very rare. The smart thing to do is to bring in a fresh outsider with his own vision. That said, when the time comes (10 years from now) I wish Coach Wojo all the best!:D

Duke has never had a coach who was, originally, a Duke guy. Bubas came from State, Waters from State, Foster from Rutgers & Utah, K from Army. I truly question the wisdom of requiring a Duke tie to the next coach. Maybe good and maybe flawed thinking.

camion
03-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Duke has never had a coach who was, originally, a Duke guy. Bubas came from State, Waters from State, Foster from Rutgers & Utah, K from Army. I truly question the wisdom of requiring a Duke tie to the next coach. Maybe good and maybe flawed thinking.

I wouldn't require the next coach to be a Duke guy,... unless it's Shane.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-24-2009, 10:43 AM
I agree with this list, for the most part. I would actually put Kansas above Duke, for the reasons you mention. It's tempting to say the Duke job is the best job but, really, the fact that so much regional support goes the way of the coach/program/school 8 miles away would be a major detraction, I would think, for someone not already established. Duke is the best job for K. One day (hopefully later than sooner) we'll find out how good it is for anyone else.

One question, why do think the Duke job has to go to an insider?

I just think initially Duke will look for the best available Duke guy. It's probably not a requirement but I think the fans and the boosters would all want a Duke guy now. Even though we have never had a Duke guy, but we have never had a tradition like the one Coack K had made either. I don't know if this is a fact just my opinion

PumpkinFunk
03-24-2009, 10:58 AM
I'd place Indiana a lot higher. Looking at the reception and fan (student and non-student) support that Tom Crean is getting when his team is terrible and in recovery, I think that job is really an amazing one. Indiana has a long tradition and the fans are incredibly forgiving because they've been through slumps and are willing to go through them. Indiana and Kansas are by far the two best. I'd rank Carolina lower because I think the fans are less forgiving. I also think Duke fans (especially students... who are already not filling the Crazies section) would be less forgiving than we think of whoever follows Coach K because of his success.

cruxer
03-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I just think initially Duke will look for the best available Duke guy. It's probably not a requirement but I think the fans and the boosters would all want a Duke guy now. Even though we have never had a Duke guy, but we have never had a tradition like the one Coack K had made either. I don't know if this is a fact just my opinion

Given how the timelines seem likely to turn out, I'd bet Capel is at the top of Duke's list when K retires. He'd likely want the job, he's a great coach, and he's an insider while coming from outside of the coaching family. He's made his own way to the top of the coaching game!

-c

JimBD
03-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Duke would probably be sixth on the list in the minds of most coaches. First of all, as mentioned earlier, it's hard to follow a legend. Also, all the other schools mentioned are state schools with a much larger local fan base. Coach K has often said his greatest competition in recruiting is the state school of whereever the recruit is from. Also, unfortunately, many of the best high school players today are mainly interested in preparing for the NBA and they have little interest in going to class--Duke's high academic requirements make it very difficult to recruit those kids. However, for the right coach who values academics and integrity, Duke might be #1.

loran16
03-24-2009, 11:41 AM
I'm not saying Duke will have to look at Duke people, but duke is fortunate to have several good coaches out there or former players who could be coaches who are Dukies. We no longer have to look outside, I'm sure a Capel or Dawkins or god-willing Shane (If he wanted to break into coaching...i suspect he'd rather try politics) would love to come back and coach Duke.

Kedsy
03-24-2009, 11:43 AM

You don't think K will hand-pick his successor? I assume he will which is why I expect it to be an "insider." The good news is the succession is (hopefully) still a long way off.

BD80
03-24-2009, 12:49 PM
... Usually, that results in the "keeping it in the family" approach. Usually, that fails. ... Following a legend is tough. Success in that regard is very rare. ...

The family approach has worked pretty well for Izzo at Michigan State and Dixon at Pitt. It has also worked for Ol Roy at unc, although not a direct promotion from assistant, much like if Duke were to bring Johnny or Jeff back.

A huge factor in rating the programs is facilities. Duke's are at the top, but several other schools are right up there. Michigan State has quietly kept pace. Schools like Michigan have fallen WAY behind in facilities.

4decadedukie
03-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Pure speculation, with many years of collegiate hoops experiences before any changes are made: K will decide and it will be Dawkins.