PDA

View Full Version : Saint Mary's 80-68 over Davidson

Jim3k
03-24-2009, 02:18 AM
Continuing to fire up the controversy over whether Arizona or Saint Mary's should have been chosen for the NCAAT, I note first that Arizona has performed beyond expectations and is in the Sweet 16,

On the other side of the issue, SMC had been without Aussie Olympian, soph Patty Mills, due to a broken finger for 10 games, which saw SMC slide to the bubble and beyond.

SMC was sent to the NIT, where it won its first game easily with a healthy Mills. Tonight (Monday), in the second round late ESPN2 viewers got to see the Gaels host Davidson, with Steph Curry in a sold-out gym that seats about 3500, so small it has no end zones. I don't know how many TV games have been seen from there, but it was so close the camera angles were unfamiliar.

The game itself was a lot of fun. Both teams feature quick guards and Curry and Mills put on their own shows. Curry won the point battle, 28 to Mills's 23, but Mills had 10 assists, some of which were remarkable. Mills was the more effective player. Certainly, the Gaels were more balanced, having four players in double figures, to only two for Davidson.

The game was close for 35 minutes, but the Gaels big men, 6-11 Omar Samhan and 6-8 demon rebounder Diamon Simpson, 10 and 14 rebounds respectively, just wore down the Wildcats. SMC out-rebounded them 44-37.

At one point, Davidson began trying to get in a 3-pt shooting match, but that turned into a draw and eventually SMC's rebounders ended that. Too many one and dones.

Plus, at the end it was great to see Mills call the students from the Gael Force section to the floor. The SMC kids are so polite, they didn't know they could, despite being so close to the action (probably a rule against walking on the floor). They came at his invitation. I doubt there has been a bigger game on that campus.

Anyway, it seems to me that SMC has a very good case for the Arizona NCAA slot. Unfortunately, Arizona has a very good case as well. Maybe somebody else should have been bounced. Not sure who, since the automatic bids are writ in stone, even though sometimes undeserved.

Fun way to spend the evening (at home).

FireOgilvie
03-24-2009, 03:09 AM
It was a fun game to watch. I try and watch every time Stephen Curry is on TV. The only other individual I go out of my way to see is Blake Griffin. Given that, I have seen Davidson several times this season... and there just really isn't much to work with for Stephen on that team. It was obvious that Saint Mary's had a lot more talented athletes out there.

As far as both Mills' and Curry's potential pro careers go, Mills is only 6'0", so he's an obvious PG, but he averages 3 assists per game... he's clearly capable of nights like tonight (10 assists), but he's not quite there yet. As far as Curry goes, I think he's being underrated by a lot of draft services right now... and they all have him as a mid-late lottery pick. I think he would be starting for about a third of the NBA teams right now as a PG (the teams that draft first...). His ball-handling has become sensational (he can dribble circles around people with both hands), he can shoot it from anywhere, and he has great court vision. His real problem is that he forces things too much right now, which doesn't work with a lot of the guys he's out there with now. Once he's out there with pros, I really think he's going to be great. If he can improve on his first-step quickness, he could be an All-Star at the next level.

JStuart
03-24-2009, 07:29 AM
To my view, early in the game, Samhan looked as if he had taken a correspondence course from Hansbrough in how to take 5 steps before shooting underneath. DC had their chances late, but could not keep from turning the ball over, and had a chance to cut the lead down to 5 with 4 minutes to go, but the coach's son couldn't hit 2 free throws, and things went south from there. St Mary's was impressive, and Mills did a better job than Curry in setting up his teammates with assists.
JStuart, DC, '72

The game was close for 35 minutes, but the Gaels big men, 6-11 Omar Samhan and 6-8 demon rebounder Diamon Simpson, 10 and 14 rebounds respectively, just wore down the Wildcats. SMC out-rebounded them 44-37.

Fun way to spend the evening (at home).