PDA

View Full Version : WBB: (6) Purdue 85, (3) UNC 70

DukePA
03-23-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm being mean, but am thrilled that the Hatch and team went down to Purdue tonight 85-70.

GTHC, GTH

dukelifer
03-23-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm being mean, but am thrilled that the Hatch and team went down to Purdue tonight 85-70.

GTHC, GTH

Wow- that is a bit of a shocker. They were an early favorite for the final four.

Duvall
03-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Wow- that is a bit of a shocker. They were an early favorite for the final four.

How early, like January? It's been obvious for some time that they weren't serious contenders. Mostly because they kept losing games.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-23-2009, 10:11 PM

GTHC, GTH
Well this certainly brightens my evening! :D:D

Stray Gator
03-23-2009, 10:11 PM
#3 seed UNC lost to #6 seed Purdue.

#3 seed FSU lost to #6 seed Arizona State.

Not a particularly impressive weekend for the ACC in either NCAA tourney.

dyedwab
03-23-2009, 10:19 PM

GTHC, GTH

I don't think it is ever mean to be pleased with a Carolina loss. I believe that is a reason for celebration.

Devilsfan
03-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Congrats to all unc fans for a great, better than expected season.

dukelifer
03-23-2009, 10:37 PM
How early, like January? It's been obvious for some time that they weren't serious contenders. Mostly because they kept losing games.
They went 17-0 and then got killed by UConn that set them back. But up until then they were definitely considered among the top few teams in the country. They certainly had all the elements to be good.

Newton_14
03-23-2009, 10:50 PM

GTHC, GTH

Great News! Thanks for sharing DukePA!

This is an excellent start to the week. Now if we can get Gonzaga to take out the men's version we can start the real celebration!

Go Zag's and GTHC!
9F 9F 9F

Duke Blue Devils 2009 ACC Champions

gadzooks
03-23-2009, 11:12 PM
Aw man, I'm so sorry I missed this game! 9F 9F 9F!

MHTorringjan
03-23-2009, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I'm just glad that we never ever have to see Rashad's sister ever again. And no, it's not at all unjustified to be mean when Carolina loses early in the tournament. But it's generally better to wait until we know we're going further than they are. ;-)

Still, I'm disappointed that FSU lost its game. They looked so good in the ACC tourney, but took a long time to put A&T away in the first round. I was hoping they'd break out of their first-round slump, but no such luck. I'm going to miss Mara Freshour whenever we're not playing against them, since she was a really great shooter.

miramar
03-23-2009, 11:44 PM
I know it's not the same since Ivory Latta left, but it's still worth celebrating.

It's also a good lesson when you see a #3 lose to a #6. Because of the talent differentials in WBB, sometimes people come to expect NCAA victories and so the teams and coaches don't get much credit when it happens. Although the first game is often an easy one, they get much harder very quickly.

devildeac
03-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Boo-BWAHAHAHAHA-hoo

I just hope our women get their job done tomorrow night on the MSU home court.

heyman25
03-24-2009, 12:30 AM
Boo-BWAHAHAHAHA-hoo

I just hope our women get their job done tomorrow night on the MSU home court.
Tarbabies are cryin tonight. Their tacky dressed Coach would provide some comic relief on the post game press conference. Hope to see that at ESPN on TV or web.

This team if it does not go ice cold they will be in the Final 4 . We would lose to UCONN but if we make it to the Final 4 it would be great for the team and the Women's basketball program for the future. They are deep enough to handle the temporary loss of Abby Waner.They will need her eventually but Christmas Hopkins Selby and Jackson can all fill in her 2 guard spot. Hopkins can relieve Jasmine Thomas at pg and Thomas can cover SG if need be.;)

CameronBornAndBred
03-24-2009, 08:17 AM
The carolina women were bounced from the tourney last night by Perdue in a rout. Not too suprising, after they lost to Duke in the regular season, their play went downhill. Hatchell scheduled a game for them after the ACC tourney so they would stay in game form against some podunk team at home, and they only won that one by 5. They barely got out of the first round playing podunk team #2, and then of course last night they lost. Hard to believe it's the same team that stayed at #2 for a good bit of the season. Anyways, have a nice summer ladies.
http://msn.foxsports.com/wcbk/story/9367788/Purdue-finally-gets-best-of-third-seeded-UNC

GT, Md. and Duke remain in the tournament. Virgina, FSU, Wake and UNC have lost.

I just woke up and noticed the post game thread, so mods, have at it and move me.