PDA

View Full Version : NCAA tourney potpourri (with apologies to Alex Trebek)

House G
03-23-2009, 06:06 PM
I thought I would try to have some fun and start a thread where people could discuss any topic that is on their mind related to the tournament. In a brief period of time, I came up with the following:
1) When did Duke's cheerleaders start wearing black uniforms? Do we really want this?
2) Is there a limit to how long a player's shorts can be? I noticed that some of the Texas players' were so long that you could hardly see their legs. I don't want to revert back to the days of G-man, but come on.
3) What is it with the tattoos these days? That guy Devendorf is hard enough to look at as it is!
4) I thought coaches were supposed to stay in a restricted area on the sideline. They now look like third base coaches in baseball--they wander out on the court at will and there are no repercussions. Yesterday Buzz Williams and Tim Floyd practically tackled referees on the court and never got T'ed up. (I am not saying their teams were not getting hosed).
5) Isn't it time that the college game instituted the semicircle under the goal that they have in the NBA that prevents defenders from drawing a charge under the basket? (This might work against Duke).
6) In conjunction with #5, is the block-charge the hardest call to get right in basketball? I think if I were a ref, I would call them all blocks because the defender seems to be moving almost every time.
7) Can someone tell me when a guard is carrying or palming the ball--it seems like this could be called a lot more than it is?
8) It seems fairly common for teams in the NBA to try to get "two-for-one" near the end of a quarter. However, college teams don't seem to capitalize on this as much. Is this related to the difference in talent or is there some other reason?

weezie
03-23-2009, 08:56 PM
As to #5: semi-circle under the basket, it's definitely time to implement this change....but look how much not having the semi has meant to TbangsHansb's career points! They should name the zone for him.

#2: I seriously doubt that the "shorts" can get much longer before they start calling them gaucho pants, a sad reminder of alarming fashion trends from the mid-seventies. :eek:

RainingThrees
03-23-2009, 09:04 PM
As to #5: semi-circle under the basket, it's definitely time to implement this change....but look how much not having the semi has meant to TbangsHansb's career points! They should name the zone for him.

#2: I seriously doubt that the "shorts" can get much longer before they start calling them gaucho pants, a sad reminder of alarming fashion trends from the mid-seventies. :eek:

I just hope to God that short shorts don't ever come back. If they do people will laugh at me for being the only guy wearing long shorts.

bdh21
03-23-2009, 09:53 PM

I think some of them border on baggy capris

gep
03-24-2009, 01:16 AM
I think some of them border on baggy capris

Capris... now that's a blast from the past. What about "pedal-pushers?:D

devildownunder
03-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Oh this is fun, thanks!

I thought I would try to have some fun and start a thread where people could discuss any topic that is on their mind related to the tournament. In a brief period of time, I came up with the following:
1) When did Duke's cheerleaders start wearing black uniforms? Do we really want this?
2) Is there a limit to how long a player's shorts can be? I noticed that some of the Texas players' were so long that you could hardly see their legs. I don't want to revert back to the days of G-man, but come on.
3) What is it with the tattoos these days? That guy Devendorf is hard enough to look at as it is!
4) I thought coaches were supposed to stay in a restricted area on the sideline. They now look like third base coaches in baseball--they wander out on the court at will and there are no repercussions. Yesterday Buzz Williams and Tim Floyd practically tackled referees on the court and never got T'ed up. (I am not saying their teams were not getting hosed).
5) Isn't it time that the college game instituted the semicircle under the goal that they have in the NBA that prevents defenders from drawing a charge under the basket? (This might work against Duke).
6) In conjunction with #5, is the block-charge the hardest call to get right in basketball? I think if I were a ref, I would call them all blocks because the defender seems to be moving almost every time.
7) Can someone tell me when a guard is carrying or palming the ball--it seems like this could be called a lot more than it is?
8) It seems fairly common for teams in the NBA to try to get "two-for-one" near the end of a quarter. However, college teams don't seem to capitalize on this as much. Is this related to the difference in talent or is there some other reason?

Oh, this is fun. Thanks! Here's my .02 on everything.

1) Not sure. Yes.
2) As long as he doesn't mind tripping over them, apparently not. I'm not going to start complaining about long shorts unless they get so bad they begin to hinder performance. I'm still too scarred by the short ones to start advocating for a move in that direction.
3) Boys will be boys. I think it's an attempt to buy street cred -- or a way for those who really do have it to show it off.
4) Agreed. The refs need to put the coaches in their places a bit more in the NCAA. I think they take way too much off them. Good luck with that, however, it would require a culture change. That takes a while.
5) Absolutely. In the long run this might actually help Duke with some perception problems, too.
6) I'd get upset in a hurry if I were watching one of the games you officiated. A player need not be stationary to draw a blocking foul. What is required is the establishment of devensive position in relation to the attacking player.
7) I think carrying happens a lot and palming a fair bit, too, though not as much. Players usually get away with it. My guess is the officials try to let it go unless an advantage is gained. Iverson made this a real issue because he was so good at carrying on a hesitation dribble it made him virtually impossible to guard.
8) This is a good question. I think part of it is cultural, two-for-one has been a part of the nba "basic strategy" for so long, I don't even think players and coaches have to think much about it. They look for it automatically. Also, I think college coaches are less inclined to try to get their teams to look for especially quick shots. They probably figure they're better off just running the offense. Also, there are no quarters in college, only halves, so really the only time you would do this would be the end of the first half, because endgame strategy would dictate otherwise in the 2nd.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-24-2009, 10:13 AM
I just hope to God that short shorts don't ever come back. If they do people will laugh at me for being the only guy wearing long shorts.
I much prefer wearing short shorts. Not "wedgie/tightie short" shorts, but well above the knee short. I have trouble finding them. Even most tennis shorts have gotten too long http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/MAShorts.html .

DoubleDuke Dad
03-24-2009, 12:21 PM
I much prefer wearing short shorts. Not "wedgie/tightie short" shorts, but well above the knee short. I have trouble finding them. Even most tennis shorts have gotten too long http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/MAShorts.html .

OZZIE4DUKE, this song is for you! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcvjXAtzaMU