PDA

View Full Version : What is your worst nightmare?

Rich
03-23-2009, 01:07 PM
For those of you with the stomach to handle it, what is your worst nightmare regarding Duke and this year's torney?

OldPhiKap
03-23-2009, 01:08 PM
For those of you with the stomach to handle it, what is your worst nightmare regarding Duke and this year's torney?

That we don't get out of the first weekend.

Oh wait, we've already avoided that.

So for me it's all good from here.

killerleft
03-23-2009, 01:09 PM
We got two wins past my worst nightmare.

Rich
03-23-2009, 01:11 PM
You guys are quick. I added a poll to make it harder for you!

COYS
03-23-2009, 01:14 PM
For me, that's simple. I want to beat Carolina, but we gotta get by Nova to even have that potential matchup.

CameronCrazy'11
03-23-2009, 01:18 PM
If we lost to Carolina, it would be point 1a in smack talking from here till eternity. That said, I don't think the basketball Gods will let this matchup happen. If we somehow get to the final four, Carolina will lose to Syracuse or Oklahoma.

Duvall
03-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Losing to UConn in the Finals 1

Ban?

DukieInKansas
03-23-2009, 01:24 PM
That we don't get out of the first weekend.

Oh wait, we've already avoided that.

So for me it's all good from here.

I agree. Of the options listed, I would take the first one. Never look past the next game.

DukieBoy
03-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Easily would be losing to UNC. If this happened, tarhole fans would have the ultimate one-up on Duke. Smack talking with a UNC fan would probably go something like:

Duke fan - "UNC isn't going to be very good this year"

tarhole - "Who beat Duke in the FF in '09"

Duke fan - "UNC did, granted, but it's 2020."

I know that's how unc fans around here would be, at least.

KenTankerous
03-23-2009, 01:44 PM
I chose next play also. It's never good when your team's season is over, even if Duke gets four more wins, there is still a sadness that there is no more basketball.

Which brings up a point I have often contemplated and maybe should be it's own thread:

Does winning it all feel as good as losing in the first or second round feels bad? Or worse for me personally, did winning it all in '98 feel as good as losing to Creighton in the second round of the NIT will feel bad?

I gotta say no, the thrill of victory<the agony of defeat.

bjornolf
03-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Of those three, my worst would be losing to Carolina in the FF. Overall though, any scenario where UNC wins the title. I guess the worst would be us losing to them in the FF, THEN Carolina winning the title.

fisheyes
03-23-2009, 01:59 PM
If I had to pick, it would be UConn since I live in CT. 1999 and 2004 were difficult times to be living in CT as a Duke fan.

Having said that...I'm thrilled we're back in the Sweet 16.

zingit
03-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Speaking of basketball dreams, I had quite the opposite of a nightmare last night. I'm not making this up: I dreamed that we were playing UNC in the Final Four, and Hansbrough was sidelined with some injury, and we took a 57-27 lead at halftime. :D I thought for a second that the victory would be cheapened by Hansbrough not playing, and then I said, ah, who cares? I woke up before I got to see the end of the game. The sad thing is that I still didn't feel totally safe with that lead.

Of course, I wouldn't ever want to see another player hurt, and I really do mean that. But dang. 57-27! What a sweet dream! Just thought I'd share.

As for the original question, despite living in the Triangle and having plenty of Carolina friends, I'd rather make the Final Four and lost to Carolina than not make the Final Four at all. But I'm pretty happy with this team. Making the Sweet Sixteen is pretty, well, sweet, though I think we can go further than that.

Rogue
03-23-2009, 03:19 PM
Of those three, my worst would be losing to Carolina in the FF. Overall though, any scenario where UNC wins the title. I guess the worst would be us losing to them in the FF, THEN Carolina winning the title.

Those are the worst.. possibly losing the unc-ch and them possibly winning the whole thing.. it would so bad, for sooooooo long here in NC.

camion
03-23-2009, 03:36 PM
K coaching at UNC.

Try not to think about how many championships they would have.

mike88
03-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Carolina beats Duke 78-77 in the Final Four on two free throws by Tyler Hansbrough with 0.00 left on the clock, as Ty Lawson writhes in a mixture of toe-injury-induced agony and "One-Shining-Moment"-induced glee and Danny Green dances an Irish jig with Coach Roy.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-23-2009, 03:49 PM
For me, that's simple. I want to beat Carolina, but we gotta get by Nova to even have that potential matchup.
My thoughts exactly. Besides, if we get to play carolina again this season, WE WILL BEAT THEM!

Indoor66
03-23-2009, 03:53 PM
My thoughts exactly. Besides, if we get to play carolina again this season, WE WILL BEAT THEM!

All I want is the opportunity to play them. The rest will take care of itself!

FerryFor50
03-23-2009, 03:53 PM
Easily would be losing to UNC. If this happened, tarhole fans would have the ultimate one-up on Duke. Smack talking with a UNC fan would probably go something like:

You forgot,

"We have more NBA players than Duke."

Even though UNC hasn't produced a top-notch NBA player in a solid decade.

Johnboy
03-23-2009, 04:02 PM

I have thought the same thing since the spectre first reared its head in the 1991 Final Four (that time it would have been UNC in the title game just a few weeks after they throttled us in the ACC Finals). Then we beat Maryland in the final Four in 2001 after an amazing comeback. Now I know they're not Carolina - not by a long shot - but I don't perceive that Terps see it as a trump card in that "rivalry". Has anyone here used it recently against Maryland taunting? How'd that work out?

killerleft
03-23-2009, 04:05 PM
I voted 'Nova. Losing to chapaheeya in the Final Four with this team just could not be that big a downer to me. It would hurt, but I'd still be proud of the guys for getting our FF Mojo back.

hurleyfor3
03-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Where's the "losing in the regional final to Pitt" option? I'm inured to Sweet 16 faceplants by now, and anything beyond the Final Four is just gravy. I don't think losing to unc will be the end of the rivalry or anything, unless we get creamed, which won't happen. I think Coach K would love to play unc in the Final Four, in fact.

MarkD83
03-23-2009, 08:26 PM
This thread is dangerously close to risking Duke's good karma!!!!

There is no nightmare.

I am just happy Duke is in the Sweet 16. They would not have gotten here without their teammates. God willing I pitch well today. (oh wait wrong movie.)

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-24-2009, 12:01 AM
I don't think I could live with every Carolina fan from now until my death talking up a loss to them in the Final Four, that said We gotta get by NOVA first.

Airforcedukie

tommy
03-29-2009, 08:12 PM
I should've posted this early in the tournament but didn't want to risk the bad karma, but for me the worst is Duke losing early (which in my opinion, for this team, anything pre-Elite 8 was) and then seeing the finals come down to UNC-UConn. Then there's just nobody to root for, because given our history with those two, you have to root against them both. One of them would get the trophy, and either way it goes, it'll just be repugnant. Now we're one step away from it happening. Ugh.

Coballs
03-29-2009, 08:58 PM
I have thought the same thing since the spectre first reared its head in the 1991 Final Four (that time it would have been UNC in the title game just a few weeks after they throttled us in the ACC Finals). Then we beat Maryland in the final Four in 2001 after an amazing comeback. Now I know they're not Carolina - not by a long shot - but I don't perceive that Terps see it as a trump card in that "rivalry". Has anyone here used it recently against Maryland taunting? How'd that work out?

I think the 2001 FF game is a huge trump card in the rivalry. I try to avoid engaging Maryland fans in any sort of basketball related debates, but I think that would be a discussion closer. Of course, most Maryland fans would probably terp and argue that the refs handed the game to Duke.

The ultimate nightmare scenario obviously would be to lose to Carolina in the NC game. Only slightly less painful would be to lose to Carolina in the Final Four and then a Carolina-UConn final. The third worst scenario is an early Duke exit and a Carolina-UConn final which, unfortunately, looks like it's about to happen. Next Monday night could be really annoying.