PDA

View Full Version : Coach K on Mike & Mike, about 9:25

wilson
03-23-2009, 09:07 AM
That's in 20 minutes, on ESPN2. These guys usually do a great interview; they're one of my favorite things about the shell of what used to be ESPN. Should be enjoyable.

arydolphin
03-23-2009, 09:21 AM
Coach K will also be on sometime later today on the Dan Patrick show, which is already live. Listen online at this link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/?eref=fromSI

Bluedog
03-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Coach K will also be on sometime later today on the Dan Patrick show, which is already live. Listen online at this link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/?eref=fromSI

Wow, Coach took some jabs at Dan Patrick, mostly in good humor and fun though. What did he say earlier about Alonzo Mourning that K was "angry" about? Missed that. It was a fun interview to listen to. Coach K said that the team is tougher than he previously thought - not only physically, but mentally. Making tough smart decisions in key late-game situations (gave the Scheyer save as an example). Again, reiterated he was joking in regard to Obama's bracket picks. Coach was shocked that Grant Hill earlier called Laettner "a little bit of a jerk" that he loved playing with (Hill continued: "And I say that in the nicest way possible") saying Grant must have fallen under the Dan Patrick spell in the longer than 5 minute-interview, but he wouldn't let Dan do that to him. Not too much talk about the Duke team really, so it was kind of disappointing, but still entertaining to hear them bicker with each other a bit.

Oriole Way
03-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Wow, Coach took some jabs at Dan Patrick, mostly in good humor and fun though. What did he say earlier about Alonzo Mourning that K was "angry" about? Missed that. It was a fun interview to listen to. Coach K said that the team is tougher than he previously thought - not only physically, but mentally. Making tough smart decisions in key late-game situations (gave the Scheyer save as an example). Again, reiterated he was joking in regard to Obama's bracket picks. Coach was shocked that Grant Hill earlier called Laettner "a little bit of a jerk" that he loved playing with (Hill continued: "And I say that in the nicest way possible") saying Grant must have fallen under the Dan Patrick spell in the longer than 5 minute-interview, but he wouldn't let Dan do that to him. Not too much talk about the Duke team really, so it was kind of disappointing, but still entertaining to hear them bicker with each other a bit.

I take it Grant Hill was also on the show?

roywhite
03-23-2009, 11:45 AM

Hill wasn't on today; was on last week. They played a brief clip where Grant referred to Laettner as a "bit of a jerk", etc.

K was upbeat and joking today. Loves his team, impressed with their toughness and how they are learning to win close games. Deeper than he thought.

elvis14
03-23-2009, 11:49 AM
Coach was shocked that Grant Hill earlier called Laettner "a little bit of a jerk" that he loved playing with (Hill continued: "And I say that in the nicest way possible")

I'm just curious....I fully respect Laettner's game, loved the tenacity, skill, etc he showed on the court. But...has anyone ever heard and interview with Laettner where he didnt' sound like "a little bit of a jerk"? :D I mean it never bothered me but it just always seemed like that's just who he was. Hill's comments had zero surprise for me, in fact I found it refreshing that Grant would say it....in the nicest way possible.

davekay1971
03-23-2009, 11:54 AM
I ran into Laettner quite a bit at Duke (my gf, later wife, later ex-wife lived right across from Laettner and BD) and generally agree with Grant's assessment. But Laettner was a jerk in the best way for our team - driving everyone else to excel, going for the jugular against opponents... His attitude was one of the biggest factors in those championships, so I wouldn't have Laettner any other way. It was awesome the way he thrived in clutch situations, welcomed being the villain, and just crushed people with the sickest clutch plays you'll ever see (KY in 1992, UConn in 1990, those free throws in 1991).

Love the commercial with him re-enacting The Shot and Pitino telling him to give it a rest :D

rthomas
03-23-2009, 11:56 AM

Coach K taking his "jabs" at DP exactly like his "jab" at Obama which he was taking exception to it for being overblown by DP. So.....

killerleft
03-23-2009, 01:18 PM
The only thing I'd change about Christian Laettner is to somehow make him 18 years old and a freshman at Duke again.

DukieBoy
03-23-2009, 01:41 PM

Hill's interview was put in S.I. too. Fun interview to read/listen to

Bostondevil
03-23-2009, 01:44 PM
The only thing I'd change about Christian Laettner is to somehow make him 18 years old and a freshman at Duke again.

Amen to that!

jv001
03-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Our high school basketball coach who was one of my best friends used to have players from Duke and unc come in for a basketball clinic each year. By the way, the unc and Duke players did not come at he same time. One year my friend had Christian come in and he was a perfect gentleman. No problems what-so-ever. Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Go Duke!

arydolphin
03-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Coach K back on ESPNRadio on the Tirico and Van Pelt show at 3:25 Eastern, listen online at espnradio.com.

Laettner92
03-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Laettner rocks!!!oh and most clutch NCAA player ever!