PDA

View Full Version : WBB: (12) Ball State 71, (5) Tennessee 55

arydolphin
03-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Tennessee, a 5-seed, just lost to Ball State, a 12-seed; score was 71-55. This was definitely not a vintage Tennessee team because they were so young, but still, it's the first loss for the Tennessee women EVER in the NCAA Tournament in a first-round game, which is a remarkable stat.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/boxscore?gameId=294000004

ohioguy2
03-22-2009, 11:32 PM
I watched Ball State play twice this year--they are a solid team. A little smaller and perhaps not as strong or quick as the "elite", but very fundamentally sound. Its fun to watch a team play well together.

gadzooks
03-22-2009, 11:43 PM
Stunner! We just had the TV on in the background, and my husband said, "Whoa, Tennessee is losing to Ball State." :eek: Pat must be having a hissy-fit of galactic proportions right about now. I don't hate UT, but they do seem to have a real sense of entitlement when it comes to NCAAT victories, and coming on the heels of back-to-back championships...wow.

msdukie
03-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Tennessee, a 5-seed, just lost to Ball State, a 12-seed; score was 71-55. This was definitely not a vintage Tennessee team because they were so young, but still, it's the first loss for the Tennessee women EVER in the NCAA Tournament in a first-round game, which is a remarkable stat.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncw/boxscore?gameId=294000004

Tennessee had been in EVERY Sweet 16, and had never lost to a team below a 4 seed.

CameronBornAndBred
03-23-2009, 07:52 AM
It's an upset, but not a huge one. Tennessee has had lots of firsts this year, and none good. Lowest ranking in the polls should be a good indicator, although I think they should have also had the first dropping from the polls. Just because they have Tennessee on the jersey should not sway the voters' opinions, but it has. They will most likely be back to being a threat next year. Their team reminds me a lot of our men's Duke team two years ago. Incredibly young, but still with all the expectations and pressure of their predecessors. Remember how long they lasted in the tourney?