PDA

View Full Version : Boston Game Times, Announcers

Deladev
03-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Do we have that dang late game on Thursday?

We've been there, done that!

Deladev

tbyers11
03-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Late game Thursday night folks. Approx 9:57 tip. Just announced it on CBS.

arydolphin
03-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Tip Time is set for 9:57 Eastern, but will probably be just after 10 PM since the first game usually runs long. Plan for another late night on Thursday night.

tbyers11
03-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Thursday
Purdue-UConn 7:07pm
Xavier-Pitt 7:27pm
Mizzou-Memphis ~9:37pm
Duke-Villanova ~9:57pm

Friday
Arizona-Louisville 7:07pm
Syracuse-Oklahoma 7:27pm
Kansas-Mich St ~9:37pm
Gonzaga-UNC ~9:57pm

captmojo
03-22-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm sorry if it may conflict with any one viewer's personal schedule. It certainly does not fit mine. My concern is that it is not good for the players to have to play so late....all for the sake of television. :(

-jk
03-22-2009, 08:10 PM
I suppose it gives us a couple hours more rest.

-jk

JDev
03-22-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry if it may conflict with any one viewer's personal schedule. It certainly does not fit mine. My concern is that it is not good for the players to have to play so late....all for the sake of television. :(

I guess the other side of that coin is that it is 10p.m. for Nova too. Maybe Cunningham and Reynolds are more morning people!

roywhite
03-22-2009, 08:46 PM

Agree; it's not ideal. But our light blue neighbors also have the same late game start.

gumbomoop
03-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Thursday
Purdue-UConn 7:07pm
Xavier-Pitt 7:27pm
Mizzou-Memphis ~9:37pm
Duke-Villanova ~9:57pm

Friday
Arizona-Louisville 7:07pm
Syracuse-Oklahoma 7:27pm
Kansas-Mich St ~9:37pm
Gonzaga-UNC ~9:57pm

What a crock. Note that the Pur-UConn and Mo-Mem games are in Arizona. CBS could at least have given the X-Pitt game the 7:07 start, thus giving Duke-Nova a 9:40, as opposed to a ridiculous post-10:00, tip-off. Let's hope X-Pitt don't go double-OT. UNC's start, I assume, is actually 8:57 Memphis time.

What do you bet we get the 4:37 tip on Sat, rather than the 7:15? [I realize we'd all be thrilled with the 4:37 tip on Sat........]

Indoor66
03-22-2009, 08:55 PM
What do you bet we get the 4:37 tip on Sat, rather than the 7:15? [I realize we'd all be thrilled with the 4:37 tip on Sat........]

I think we need to win Thursday, first! ;)

Bluedog
03-22-2009, 08:58 PM

Maybe. But these are college students. Staying up til midnight is nothing. I assume they have some curfew rules when staying in a hotel though. During the school year, though, I'm sure it's typical to stay up way past the hotel curfew time. And it's the same for Nova too. Makes sense for Duke to have the late game since we have the most national interest and there aren't any west coast teams playing on Thursday.

gumbomoop
03-22-2009, 09:00 PM
I think we need to win Thursday, first! ;)

Sorry, my point in saying we'd all be thrilled, not unhappy, with the early tip, even after a 3 a.m. bedtime Fri night, was that a 4:15 tip would mean we had won. We'll happily accept a noon tip on Sat.......

weezie
03-22-2009, 09:13 PM

If they even show the game on CBS! It might be on their irritating alternative channel that has the three unknown talking heads blathering away instead.
I hope to be in Boston but these late tip-offs are infuriating. Why is Duke being punished like this?

Eckster
03-22-2009, 09:16 PM
As long as Duke wins, I don't care what time the game is. The next day you can be tired but feel good about it.:D

norduck
03-22-2009, 09:39 PM
How does UNC go from Thursday Saturday opening rounds to a Friday Sunday sweet sixteen ? Is this pretty much the normal? Never really understood how that works.

-jk
03-22-2009, 09:50 PM
How does UNC go from Thursday Saturday opening rounds to a Friday Sunday sweet sixteen ? Is this pretty much the normal? Never really understood how that works.

It's about the Pods vs. Regions. Each region has a set game time. Each venue has a set game time. The one has nothing to do with the other. Luck of the draw.

-jk

DukieInKansas
03-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Game time works for me - I should be able to be home from practice by then. The worse part is that Mizzou plays about the same time - guess which one we'll get in Kansas City?

Jarhead
03-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Game time works for me - I should be able to be home from practice by then. The worse part is that Mizzou plays about the same time - guess which one we'll get in Kansas City?
Not to worry. Go to this link (http://mmod.ncaa.com/) to get streaming video of whatever game you choose. It's pretty cool, and the picture is pretty good, almost HD if you click on the full screen button. The games are only available live, so you'll have to wait until tipoff to see them.

DukieInKansas
03-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Not to worry. Go to this link (http://mmod.ncaa.com/) to get streaming video of whatever game you choose. It's pretty cool, and the picture is pretty good, almost HD if you click on the full screen button. The games are only available live, so you'll have to wait until tipoff to see them.

That's how I saw the Thursday game. It was much more fun to watch the Saturday game on the larger TV screen. I'm just hoping I can figure out how to hook my computer so my TV can be the monitor and have a bigger screen for viewing. I do love the internet! :D

There is also the possibility that the game will be on the second CBS HD channel that Time Warner offers.

LGD! LGD! LGD!

NSDukeFan
03-23-2009, 10:11 AM
I suppose it gives us a couple hours more rest.

-jk

I believe some of our players have been playing over 32 minutes a game lately ;)

pamtar
03-23-2009, 10:17 AM
Here's a schedule (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/schedules) that automatically updates as game times are announced.

It seems that the NCAA has re-ranked the teams for the Sweet 16? Or, CBS has just decided to show them as they were ranked non-regionally. Anywho, were No. 6 vs No. 11.

JBDuke
03-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Here's a schedule (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/schedules) that automatically updates as game times are announced.

It seems that the NCAA has re-ranked the teams for the Sweet 16? Or, CBS has just decided to show them as they were ranked non-regionally. Anywho, were No. 6 vs No. 11.

Um, those are the current AP rankings for each team...

See here: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

Tjenkins
03-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Sorry if this is already posted in another thread:
THURSDAY, MARCH 26

Connecticut vs. Purdue (Glendale, 7pm),Memphis vs. Missouri (Glendale, 9:30pm)- Dick Enberg, Jay Bilas
Pittsburgh vs. Xavier (Boston, 7:30pm),Duke vs. Villanova (Boston, 9:30pm)- Verne Lundquist, Bill Raftery
FRIDAY, MARCH 27
Louisville vs. Arizona (Indianapolis, 7pm),Kansas vs. Michigan State (Indianapolis, 9:30pm)- Gus Johnson, Len Elmore
Oklahoma vs. Syracuse (Memphis, 7:30pm),North Carolina vs. Gonzaga (Memphis, 10pm)- Jim Nantz, Clark Kellogg
(h/t:Awful Announcing)

I'm glad Raftery's covering the Duke game. He mixes humor & hoops knowledge without going overboard with either one.

davekay1971
03-23-2009, 11:48 AM
All in all, not a bad way for the announcing to turn out. I can live with Raftery, who is pretty unbiased and doesn't seem to do the old pick-an-angle and reiterate it for 2 hours trick that some other announcers do.

As for the Carolina game, I can stomach Kellogg (who I've never thought much of as a commentator) gushing over Lawson and Beaker easier than I can stomach Bilas (who ought to know better) doing it.

Still, there will always be the temptation to mute the TV and let Bob Harris announce the Duke game for me : )

pfrduke
03-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Sorry if this is already posted in another thread:
THURSDAY, MARCH 26

Connecticut vs. Purdue (Glendale, 7pm),Memphis vs. Missouri (Glendale, 9:30pm)- Dick Enberg, Jay Bilas
Pittsburgh vs. Xavier (Boston, 7:30pm),Duke vs. Villanova (Boston, 9:30pm)- Verne Lundquist, Bill Raftery
FRIDAY, MARCH 27
Louisville vs. Arizona (Indianapolis, 7pm),Kansas vs. Michigan State (Indianapolis, 9:30pm)- Gus Johnson, Len Elmore
Oklahoma vs. Syracuse (Memphis, 7:30pm),North Carolina vs. Gonzaga (Memphis, 10pm)- Jim Nantz, Clark Kellogg
(h/t:Awful Announcing)

I'm glad Raftery's covering the Duke game. He mixes humor & hoops knowledge without going overboard with either one.

Excellent lineup - I love listening to Raftery call a game. Here's hoping Scheyer or Singler (or really any Blue Devil) earns an "Onions!" sometime this weekend.

Also, IIRC, Verne Lundquist called the 1992 Duke-UK East Regional Final (with Len Elmore) - good karma, perhaps?

DankeShane
03-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Whew, we don't have Gus Johnson. He roots so hard for the underdog it's hard to stomach.

wolfpackdevil
03-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Whew, we don't have Gus Johnson. He roots so hard for the underdog it's hard to stomach.

Yes but Len Elmore is great, and I would rather have him calling the game.

And I like Gus Johnson just because of the excitement he brings to the game

calltheobvious
03-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Excellent lineup - I love listening to Raftery call a game. Here's hoping Scheyer or Singler (or really any Blue Devil) earns an "Onions!" sometime this weekend.

Also, IIRC, Verne Lundquist called the 1992 Duke-UK East Regional Final (with Len Elmore) - good karma, perhaps?

A) You do indeed RC.

B) I'll settle for just one 'Onions!' for one of our guys, as long as it's on Saturday.

Faustus
03-23-2009, 12:42 PM
The way the pundits have been talking recently, we ARE the underdog...

But I like the Lundquist/Raftery assignment.

pamtar
03-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Um, those are the current AP rankings for each team...

See here: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

Well then, another notch in the moron belt for me...

Clipsfan
03-23-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't know which teams will be in the game on Saturday (hopefully Duke!) but after looking around I've found that CBS' East bracket shows a 4:40 EST game time for the Eastern Regional Championship. I've seen some questions on this board as to the time and apologize if others have already posted it.

Obviously, Duke has to take care of business on Thursday night.

gumbomoop
03-23-2009, 07:59 PM

I realize it's probably bad form, usually, to quote yourself, so call me smug. (You'd be accurate enough.) A new thread says the East final is indeed the 4:40 game on Sat. I have to assume that just as the Duke-'Nova game is the marquee game Thurs night, blessing us with a post-10:00 tip, I further assume the CBS sports moguls, or their designated flunkies, assume that the West match on Sat will be Memphis-UConn, marquee for sure. More marquee than an all-Big East Pitt-'Nova, true, or even Duke-X, but more than Duke-Pitt?