PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Texas

Jumbo
03-21-2009, 10:42 PM
Who was the Man of the Match in the NCAA Tournament game vs. Texas?

HK Dukie
03-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Gotta give it to Henderson here, but Jon Scheyer and Singler both had an amazing play each (the pass and the tap in). Wow!

mgtr
03-21-2009, 10:45 PM
OK, another tough, tough call. G was great, and I voted for him, but I could also have voted for Jon. Congrats, guys.

jipops
03-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Jon had a very costly turnover late in the game but also had the play of the game with the beautiful behind the back save thrown down Duke's end of the court. Play of the game now doubt so MOTM goes to Jon.

Oh yeah, he was also the guy assigned to Abrams.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Henderson was the player of the game but Scheyer had the play of the game and one of the best plays at Duke

CameronBornAndBred
03-21-2009, 10:49 PM
This one is tough for me because I didn't really think anyone played outstanding. I gave it to Jon, because he was consistant, but so was Nolan. A lot of uncharacteristic turnovers by the team as a whole, including Jon. Also some really lax D, I think if Texas had hit their free throws we would be looking at an entirely different outcome. Scheyer hit some the big threes when we needed them, and continued to run the team well.

Ben63
03-21-2009, 10:49 PM
Scheyer for the save and covering Abrams all night.

dukediv2013
03-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Scheyer not only played a great game offensively, but he also played tremendous defense against Abrams. Abrams did not get one open look. He scored some points, but Jon was constantly in his face. The worst call of the game was against Singler on Abrams, that was not a foul!

slower
for what should hereafter just be called "The Save".

ice-9
I'm going with G for his ability to draw the foul and convert free throws. He was our horse offensively in this game.

Jon and Kyle deserve mentions. Both made key plays down the stretch: Jon with the out-of-bounds save and Kyle with the AWESOME tip-in. Both also shot key 3-pointers and at a good percentage (3 of 5 each). Jon defended well and Kyle was our main man in the post with 7 rebounds (4 offensive!).

jv001
03-21-2009, 10:52 PM
I voted for Gerald as he hit some mighty big free throws. Jon played well as did Kyle. I know that Jon made a great play on the throw into the back court. But please don't forget about Kyle's tip in off a missed shot. That was huge. It put points on the scoreboard and put us ahead as well. Go Duke!

DukeFanInTerpLand
03-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Voted for McClure, only for tipping that rebound.

Son of Mojo
03-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Gave it to Jon for The Save--definitely made up for the TO into a layup that stole our momentum. So smart.

pamtar
03-21-2009, 10:54 PM
for what should hereafter just be called "The Save".

Amen! Play of the year! He is becoming the MVP.

geraldsneighbor
03-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Voted for McClure, only for tipping that rebound.

God that play was huge!

marinbobbyduhon
03-21-2009, 10:57 PM
I wanted to vote for Kyle after that great tip-in, but I think Jon deserves MOTM for that game saving play at the end when he tipped the ball into the back court. (Okay, I like calling it the SAVE)! What a basketball IQ. My heart hasn't stopped racing yet.

dukieinaz
03-21-2009, 10:58 PM
voted for scheyer for the awesome behind the back save
game winner

Madrasdukie
03-21-2009, 10:59 PM
I voted for Magic Johnson !

OldPhiKap
03-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Lance played excellent D and had loads of energy when it counted. Lots of great play but I give it to LT.

34dukegal
03-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Jon - because of "The Save"

I wish I could have voted for Singler as well for the tip in, but since I have to choose I'm going with Jon, his defense is very underrated and he hit a couple of big threes when needed.

biscuit30
03-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Gave it to Jon just for The Save

concrete
03-21-2009, 11:02 PM
dont' see how the save scheyer made was puts him over as MOTM, it was awesome to look at but he technically saved it to the other team who unnecessarily pushed Elliot Williams despite having a better chance at retrieving the ball.

Namtilal
I voted Kyle because that tip-in was incredible and incredibly important, the play of the game in my eyes.

JDev
Voted for Jon for the save and the job he did chasing the perpetual motion of Arams. Abrams played well, but did not "go off," and that was key.

JDev
03-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Can I vote fot his Ward guy from UT? ;)
He is a 3 ppg guy and probably the 9th or 10th name on the scouting report, and he killed Duke. It was good that Duke could weather the storm and handle a team that was getting a career game from an unknown commodity. That sort of thing is usually one of the ingredients of a March upset.

bjornolf
03-21-2009, 11:09 PM
So many guys were deserving this game, but I had to go with G for the clutch rebound and hitting the two cold-blooded free throws at the end to ice it. Now THAT'S putting your foot on somebody's throat and crushing the life out of them. Too bad it took 39 minutes, 52 seconds to do it!

DukeDevilDeb
03-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Had Jon not done such a remarkable job on Abrams, hit 3 huge three's, and been a very steadying force... we don't win the game. Lots of big plays... McClure, Henderson and his free throws, Zoubs with a great game... Lance doing what he does best... I loved it!

But Jon is the heart and soul of this team, and I voted for him tonight.

WE'RE GOING TO BOSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

willowglen
03-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Scheyer's play was heady and instinctive. He is a clever player who is really effective.

And it was a low risk play - even if Texas got the ball back and didn't foul, the ball was well away from their basket.

BobbyFan
03-21-2009, 11:15 PM
Jon was our best player today, even before making the big save. He played excellent defense all game and was the stabilizer on offense.

I'd put Nolan at #2. He also played great defense and made some big shots for us, not to mention calmly sinking 2 FTs in the last minute after a clutch rebound.

AtlDuke72
03-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Lance played excellent D and had loads of energy when it counted. Lots of great play but I give it to LT.

Hia two points were crucial too.

bjornolf
03-21-2009, 11:17 PM
Scheyer's play was heady and instinctive. He is a clever player who is really effective.

And it was a low risk play - even if Texas got the ball back and didn't foul, the ball was well away from their basket.

And it wasted an extra second or two with as high and slow as it flew. Talk about a rainbow... Kyle could take lessons! ;)

And Kyle DEFINITELY says "rainbow" on the free throws, as in the arc he wants on his shot. I'm a pretty decent lip reader, and I got rainbow. My mom watching in HD was a teacher of the deaf, specializing in teaching her students to speak and read lips, for over a decade. She says it's "rainbow". I'll take her word for it.

tbyers11
03-21-2009, 11:18 PM
I voted for Jon for "the Save" but mostly for his D on Abrams and timely shooting from 3. Gerald had a lot of points and some big plays but he wasn't very efficient offensively and was the one who got burned by Ward on D most of the time

tele
03-21-2009, 11:22 PM
I voted for Singler. He was solid all game and Duke is completely different team with him on the floor. He also shot 50% from the floor, led the team in rebounds and even guarded Pittman some. Plus he made that huge play and tipped in the ball off a missed shot at the end. G didn't shoot so well only 33%, seemed to force up a few. Thomas and Zoubek combined for 10 rebounds and 7 points, pittman had 8 and 8, I'll take that. Great win! On to Boston, I hope Nantz and Kellog are elsewhere.

gotham devil
03-21-2009, 11:32 PM
I voted for Jon for "the Save" but mostly for his D on Abrams and timely shooting from 3. Gerald had a lot of points and some big plays but he wasn't very efficient offensively and was the one who got burned by Ward on D most of the time

If you're gonna diss my man G ;), Scheyer had that play where Abrams "stole his cookies," when Jon was looking to the bench for instructions. That play helped spark the final Texas momentum. Nolan then compounded the issue on the next possession.

Scheyer played well overall and we got unique contributions from several of our role players, particularly McClure, Thomas, and Nolan Smith. Kyle once again brought so much to the proverbial table. It was a relief to overcome his loss in the closing moments.

In the end, I voted for our best player, Gerald Henderson.

ACCBBallFan
03-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Duke again spread out the metrics across several players and Texas only had two guys in top form.

Kyle Singler again led in metrics:

Rating Player-Pos
75 A.J. Abrams, G
74 Kyle Singler, F

66 Gerald Henderson, G-F
63 Nolan Smith, G
61 Damion James, G-F
60 TOTALS-Duke
60 Jon Scheyer, G

51 TOTALS-Texas
48 Lance Thomas, F
46 Varez Ward, G
43 Dexter Pittman, C

37 Justin Mason, G
36 Dogus Balbay, G

28 Gary Johnson, F
28 Elliot Williams, G
28 Brian Zoubek, C

08 Clint Chapman, F-C
07 David McClure, F
04 Connor Atchley, F-C
02 Greg Paulus, G

DukedOutTwins
03-21-2009, 11:35 PM
I think his defense in the first half caused trouble for Texas. He also rebounded well.

He's a long shot, I know, but he is key for us to continue to do well in the tournament.

pamtar
03-21-2009, 11:41 PM
Duke aqgain spread out the metrics across several players and Texas only had two guys in top form.

Kyle Singler again led in metrics:

Thanks! Since I've seen your metrics stuff, I don't even read the box score anymore. I was wondering what Kyle's +/- was during the last 4 games. He's really becoming our silent assassin.

DukieBoy
03-21-2009, 11:45 PM
"The Save" sent me into hysteria.

Never before in a Duke game have I went this crazy.

Besides "The Save" Scheyer locked down Abrams and hit some huge shots. Sure he had costly turnover, but are we forgetting he is a natural 2 man?

Singler came in an incredibly close second, especially with that ridiculous tip in.

G made plays all game long.

Can I just vote for JonGeraldSingler?

heyman25
03-21-2009, 11:48 PM
I have seen Jon play better but the save gave us a ticket to the Sweet 16 Here we come BOSTON

Jim3k
03-21-2009, 11:50 PM
I vote for TEAM.

Or maybe for Krzyzewski

Cameron
03-21-2009, 11:51 PM
I also gave it to Jon because of "The Save." That play is going down in Duke lore forever.

I immediately dropped to the floor and began shouting, perhaps even demonically, "That is why you are Jon Scheyer ... That is why you are Jon Scheyer."

I couldn't believe that happened. Texas had taken the game it seemed. The momentum had clearly shifted the Horns' way. But then comes Jon Scheyer, the smartest player in college basketball, out of nowhere, to save the day. Elliot's missed free throws aside, that play saved the game, because it allowed for the McClure tip and the Henderson icing at the line. Dave could have just as easily received the Man of the Match, as well, for that tip. What a moment.

Two simple plays. Neither involving a point scored or even a field goal taken. But they were monumental nonetheless. They saved our season. We are playing deeper into March. The ride ain't done. I for one am indebted to these kids -- all of them -- for prolonging my favorite time of the year, for prolonging my life as a fan for another week.

Thank you guys.

Now we do this all over again in five days. Whew..

pamtar
03-21-2009, 11:57 PM
I also gave it to Jon because of "The Save." That play is going down in Duke lore forever.

I immediately dropped to the floor and began shouting, perhaps even demonically, "That is why you are Jon Scheyer ... That is why you are Jon Scheyer."

I couldn't believe that happened. Texas had taken the game it seemed. The momentum had clearly shifted the Horns' way. But then comes Jon Scheyer, the smartest player in college basketball, out of nowhere, to save the day. Elliot's missed free throws aside, that play saved the game, because it allowed for the McClure tip and the Henderson icing at the line. Dave could have just as easily received the Man of the Match, as well, for that tip. What a moment.

Two simple plays. Neither involving a point scored or even a field goal taken. But they were monumental nonetheless. They saved our season. We are playing deeper into March. The ride ain't done. I for one am indebted to these kids -- all of them -- for prolonging my favorite time of the year, for prolonging my life as a fan for another week.

Thank you guys.

Now we do this all over again in five days. Whew..

Post of the Day

Newton_14
03-22-2009, 12:06 AM
Jon was clutch, Gerald was clutch, Kyle was clutch. Our big 3 each had their moments in a game where we needed all 3 of them!

But I voted for Nolan. He has perservered, overcoming being benched for poor play, overcoming the concussion, and has made it all the way back. He has added another element to the "new" team that opened it's season against St Johns a few weeks ago.

I gave him the nod tonight for not only being solid the entire game, but for fighting for that rebound, drawing the foul and very solidly knocking those 2 free throws down with 47 seconds left to give us the lead back. That was clutch!

Go Nolan and GO DUKE!

Memphis Devil
03-22-2009, 12:23 AM
As much as I would like to vote for Dave just for getting a hand on the second free throw that Elliot missed, I have to give my vote to Gerald for the clutch scoring in the second half and crucial free throw shooting.

BobbyFan
03-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Not to be a downer, but I don't think Scheyer's save was as genius or deserving of a spot among the great Duke plays of all time as is being suggested. Most players understand that in that situation, you want to throw it towards your end of the court. And in this specific scenario, one could argue that the ideal move is to just grab the ball and call timeout. What was impressive is that it was a tremendously difficult play to accomplish physically, as Jon whipped it high and long with his left hand behind his back all in one motion.

Remember that at the time we had a 3 point lead with under 15 seconds left, so Kyle's putback and Nolan's offensive rebound and 2 FTs were more important as was Jon's overall game leading up to that point.

bjornolf
03-22-2009, 12:37 AM
Not to be a downer, but I don't think Scheyer's save was as genius or deserving of a spot among the great Duke plays of all time as is being suggested. Most players understand that in that situation, you want to throw it towards your end of the court. And in this specific scenario, one could argue that the ideal move is to just grab the ball and call timeout. What was impressive is that it was a tremendously difficult play to accomplish physically, as Jon whipped it high and long with his left hand behind his back all in one motion.

Well, first of all, I think we were out of timeouts by then. And second, I don't think refs are supposed to give timeouts to players falling out of bounds any more. I'm almost positive I've heard that recently.

BobbyFan
03-22-2009, 12:56 AM
Well, first of all, I think we were out of timeouts by then. And second, I don't think refs are supposed to give timeouts to players falling out of bounds any more. I'm almost positive I've heard that recently.

We had timeouts left, but good call on the rule on the player whose momentum is taking him out of bounds. Regardless, my general point remains.

gumbomoop
03-22-2009, 12:58 AM

An interesting perspective, though in the end not persuasive to me.

He couldn't call time, as calling time when flying o-o-b is no longer allowed.

I don't agree with you that "most players understand" .....much of anything in that kind of split-second situation. What separates Jon from 99.9% of all college players is his court-awareness. I do believe, literally, that court-aware [extraordinary high bball IQ, if you prefer] players are much more likely to make such a play. Any number of players might[I] make such a play; Scheyer is actually [I]likely to do so.

TNTDevil
03-22-2009, 01:00 AM
Not to be a downer, but I don't think Scheyer's save was as genius or deserving of a spot among the great Duke plays of all time as is being suggested. Most players understand that in that situation, you want to throw it towards your end of the court.Coach K would agree with your latter point but in doing so he called it a play worthy of "Magic" johnson. Coach K then looked at Jon and asked "are you surprised I compared you to Magic?"

And in this specific scenario, one could argue that the ideal move is to just grab the ball and call timeout.Can't do that anymore. You have to have both feet on the floor, inbounds.

What was impressive is that it was a tremendously difficult play to accomplish physically, as Jon whipped it high and long with his left hand behind his back all in one motion.You left out that he caught it with his right hand, transferred to his left (ala Jordan) and then flipped it behind his back down court.

Remember that at the time we had a 3 point lead with under 15 seconds left, so Kyle's putback and Nolan's offensive rebound and 2 FTs were more important as was Jon's overall game leading up to that point.No real argument with these points, in general but, Scheyer's acumen meant, in Coach K's opinion, that even if Texas recovers the ball they come down and face a set Duke defense.

I voted for Jon but, I tend to do that regularly, unless someone else just completely blows the "metrics". Jon is solid, not perfect but, solid. Game in, game out.

Tonight his overall effort, when combined with "The Save" tilts in his favor.

Jumbo
03-22-2009, 01:11 AM
I agree with what everyone has said about Jon's save. Not only was it an incredible mental play (at the very least, it sends the ball back down to the other end and Duke gets to set its D with a 3-point lead), but it was an absolutely astonishing physical play. To be able to save the ball with one hand, behind your back, lefty, and then toss it such a long distance is incredible.

Lost in the discussion of "The Save" was Jon's D on Abrams. I talked about this in the "How We Beat Texas" thread, but K had a decision to make about whether to use Jon, Duke's best denial defender, on Abrams, and risk wasting his energy. He did it, and it worked. Abrams finished with 17. But 3 came off Kyle's foul. Another three came against McClure. Another three came when Williams completely botched a swithching assignment (and was pulled from the game soon after). I can't remember the other eight, but that is -- at most -- eight points and no threes allowed by Jon. Simply awesome.

BobbyFan
03-22-2009, 01:23 AM
I don't agree with you that "most players understand" .....much of anything in that kind of split-second situation. What separates Jon from 99.9% of all college players is his court-awareness. I do believe, literally, that court-aware [extraordinary high bball IQ, if you prefer] players are much more likely to make such a play. Any number of players might[I] make such a play; Scheyer is actually [I]likely to do so.

I agree completely that Jon has great awareness which is generally unappreciated by non-Duke fans. But most players recognize that you don't save the ball to the other team's side - it's a relatively common situation that is ingrained into their heads by coaches. Very few players would make that play, but that is more so because of its physical difficulty than the high intelligence required. I still don't know where that motion came from. There are better instances of Jon's basketball IQ on display than this one (although few are as visually appealing).

Tonight his overall effort, when combined with "The Save" tilts in his favor.

Except that it was already in his favor prior to the play. :D

Acymetric
03-22-2009, 01:39 AM
IBut most players recognize that you don't save the ball to the other team's side - it's a relatively common situation that is ingrained into their heads by coaches.

I've seen quite a few instances of players doing just that in games, including (IIRC) various Duke players at different points. The play was absolutely fantastic. That, combined with several other plays and some great defense, and my MOTM goes to none other than Jon Scheyer (plus, we share the same first name, and neither of us put in that ridiculous "h" either).

This team is as battle tested as any right now. How many close games have we pulled out this year, particularly last night and in the ACC tourny, but also at different points in the season? We have faced some seriously tough end of game situations, and come out on top for most of them. I love watching these guys play, hopefully I'll get more than one more chance to see them!

That said, I'm not worrying about Thursday and 'Nova yet, I'm going to sit here and enjoy this win...WE'RE BACK TO THE SWEET 16, GUYS!

slower
03-22-2009, 08:44 AM

And what I'd really like to know (please, Wat or somebody else, ask Jon this question) is this: Did Jon - with an eye toward taking as much time off the clock as possible - intentionally throw the ball as high and far as he could, with the intention of keeping it inbounds? I say he did, and THAT, my friends, is the essence of Scheyerability (which is much better than drinkability!).

gumbomoop
03-22-2009, 09:11 AM
I agree completely that Jon has great awareness which is generally unappreciated by non-Duke fans. But most players recognize that you don't save the ball to the other team's side - it's a relatively common situation that is ingrained into their heads by coaches. Very few players would make that play, but that is more so because of its physical difficulty than the high intelligence required. I still don't know where that motion came from. There are better instances of Jon's basketball IQ on display than this one (although few are as visually appealing).

I don't quite agree that most players recognize the danger of throwing the ball back in under the opposing team's basket. You're right that coaches pound it into their heads, but in the moment, it's very common to see them forget to "recognize" what they've been taught ad infinitum; hence color men regularly note how player X broke the cardinal rule and gave the other team an easy bucket. It drives coaches nuts.

But I'm more and more persuaded by your and other posters' insistence on the remarkable physicality of the play. In that sense it's reminiscent of his spectacular left-handed scoop-hook-from-knee-level in ACC tourney. How did he do that?

And I further agree that there are even better examples of Scheyer's bb IQ. Which says a whole lot about why, so far, no one has given me the name of a single other player whose court awareness matches Scheyer's. Maybe that's because one has to be very familiar with lots of teams, and see them repeatedly to notice this. The only other name I can think of is Curry, for I've seen it in him. But even he seems a distant 2d to Scheyer.

dyedwab
03-22-2009, 09:22 AM
besides winning was that everyone who played contributed in a meaningful way.

But Scheyer's long toss at the end (left handed, i might add) clinched it for me.

But I could easily make a case for G or Kyle.

captmojo
03-22-2009, 09:22 AM
I'd like to see "TEAM" listed as an option on the poll.

I voted for Gerald because of the consistency of his play throughout the game.
Jon's defense of Abrams is not lost on me. This one is way too hard of a call.

pamtar
03-22-2009, 09:49 AM
Poor quality, but here's some video evidence (http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=Qxi&q=jon%20scheyer%20and%20texas&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wv#).

Delaware
03-22-2009, 10:40 AM
I voted for Jon mostly for the defense on Abrams. His "save" was incredible and a heady, althletic, justle play. And only one really bad turnover. Another great point guard game.

G obviously scored when we needed it in the 2nd half and Kyle had the best tip in since the backhanded Battier tip in the 2001 final and/or Nate's tip in in the ACC tourney against Maryland.

The coaches and players executed the defense on Abrams incredibly. A couple of times Jon was run off screens on the baseline and I could "hear" him talkign to G one time and Kyle another to pick up Abrams on the wing when he could not fight through in time to stay with Abrams. The guys knew exactly what to do and executed perfectly.

weezie
03-22-2009, 11:22 AM
I vote for TEAM.

Or maybe for Krzyzewski

I was there, sitting in the row right behind where the LSU band played in the first game. I cannot describe how horrific the booing was from the miserable trashy deadbeat lowlife gutter scum tarhole fans during our game. As far as 'hole fans were concerned, the refs could not call enough fouls on Duke: everything we did was wrong in their tiny beady hate-filled washed out blue eyes. We sat with white-haired grandmothers and ministers who booed and jeered like baboons.

Our team was magnificent. Each of them played HUGE. You could see the fight in their eyes...our kids were focused and poised. Coach K was superb, masterful, commanding.

So, to hell with carolina and ACC unity from this point out. I want the 'holes to choke on their own bile and cry in the night. Their disgraceful fans deserve nothing more than to have what goes around, come around.

gumbomoop
03-22-2009, 11:25 AM
The coaches and players executed the defense on Abrams incredibly. A couple of times Jon was run off screens on the baseline and I could "hear" him talkign to G one time and Kyle another to pick up Abrams on the wing when he could not fight through in time to stay with Abrams. The guys knew exactly what to do and executed perfectly.

Very good observation about a very important point: the nitty-gritty of "communication." I've heard K say that the coaches repeatedly preach communication, I guess esp on defense. And with our constant switching generally, and last night specifically and crucially, talking constantly meant a whole, whole lot. It don't show up on the stat sheet [geez, maybe K could start an internal accounting of who communicates best, like who takes charges], but it wins games. I, too, heard Scheyer say, loudly, sharply, and urgently, "G" 2-3 times, and similarly to Kyle.

Really glad you reminded us of this.

slower
03-22-2009, 11:32 AM
So, to hell with carolina and ACC unity from this point out. I want the 'holes to choke on their own bile and cry in the night. Their disgraceful fans deserve nothing more than to have what goes around, come around.

you are only NOW coming to this conclusion? ;)

mapei
03-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Jon: smartest Duke bball player since Shane. And this year he is showing athleticism to go with it. He did have that mid-season slump, but it is pretty easily forgiven now!

ice-9
03-22-2009, 01:09 PM
I love Scheyer. I believe his heady play at the PG spot is by far the #1 reason we turned things around since the BC loss in the ACC season. In fact, he's been so good, I don't even really think we need to recruit a PG for next season any more, though of course I wouldn't mind a talent like Wall.

I also thought Scheyer had a tremendous all around game yesterday.

That said, I agree with the other poster that "The Save" isn't that crucial of a play. It's an incredible play, and it was important, but the heave itself wouldn't have counted for much if Elliot didn't chase it down AND get fouled. According to the announcers, even if Gary Johnson hadn't fouled Elliot, he wouldn't have gotten the ball back. Texas would've gotten the possession. So...big play, but it needed that Johnson foul to have mattered.

If you ask me, if I had to name THE play of the game, I would point to Singler's tip in. Texas had huge momentum, tying the game for the first time; there's 1:24 left in the game; the dome is roaring. A play is drawn up for Henderson to drive in; he missed the layup and BAM out of nowhere you see Singler flying in like Superman and tipping it in. Wow. I was just floored by the play.

I would say the next most important play is a sequence by Nolan Smith. Again, tied ball game, under a minute left to go. Henderson does a good job of penetrating but misses the layup. Who gets the rebound? NOLAN SMITH!! He's fouled and he makes two huge clutch free throws. Nothing but net free throws.

When Texas tied the game, I have to admit I thought we were going to lose.

After Singler's and Nolan's plays, I knew we were going to be OK: we were calm, we were focused, and we were not knocked back. I knew we were going to pull it out for a tough win. Scheyer's and G's great plays down the stretch proved me right.

Newton_14
03-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Jon's save was huge/special/incredible for numerous reasons and should get all the praise being given.

"All" players know to not save the ball back into the opponents end of the court, however, "most" fail to actually remember that in the heat of the moment. In most cases the following happens on a play like that:
- Player X throws a low pass back into the Texas end of the court, or
- Player X spins as he is falling OOB and throws in the direction of the nearest teammate he see's, or
- Player X decides to "eat it" and goes OOB not attempting the save

What Jon did:
1. He recognized that his team is up 3 and the clock is running out. (it's about 15.4 seconds left once he grabs the ball)
2. We know throwing it back towards the Duke end was intentional, and I believe he also threw it as high as possible intentionally as well, knowing this would eat up more precious time on the clock. So his decision making on that play meant that the worst possible outcome would be that Texas chases the ball down, but the clock would now be below 10 seconds and Texas would have to get the ball back up court into Duke's waiting defense with time running out.
3. Throwing it where he did also allowed a possible scenario that one of his teammates run it down as well.
4. And finally, as others have pointed out, not only was it a heady play, it was a heck of a physical play as well, getting the pass as high and long as he did with his left hand while falling OOB.

It was just an incredible play, that came at a critical point in a very important game. Because of all of that I believe it warrants the praise being given...

Greg_Newton
03-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Jon did do a great job on Abrams and had several huge plays... I thought his off-balance three off of an inbounds play a few minutes earlier was just as important as the save to the swing of the game at the time (although I agree with Boozer, I have no idea how you get that much leverage/power on a behind the back pass!).

I'm voting for G though, because I think it was a more important game for him. From the numbers, it looks like I missed some of his misses during my frantic struggle with my laptop and the ensuing tear to a sports bar when Tennessee's CBS affiliate once again switched to Western Kentucky partway through the first half, but from what I saw, he looked closer to his peak mid-ACC form than he's been in a while. He was confidently pulling up and nailing 18 footers, and had that extra gear on his second step towards the basket that makes him such an intimidating offensive player. The clutch FT shooting was also huge.

That huge, explosive second step had seemed to be missing from his game recently... he'd often look kind of hesitant going to the basket, almost like he was trying to drive through defenders rather than past them. Maybe I'm just seeing things, but either way I was very glad to see him moving confident and purposefully with the ball last night. For the stretches I saw (early 1st half, second half) he was clearly the best player on the floor.