PDA

View Full Version : Are you nervous about Texas?

rthomas
03-21-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm nervous about the Texas game. I can hardly watch the other games on this afternoon.

CDu
03-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Yes, I'm nervous for this game, and I'll be nervous for any subsequent games Duke will play this year should they be fortunate enough to win today. Unless you're the #1 seed in your draw, every game from the second round on is likely to be a tough one. You have to either have a very large margin of error or bring your A game every game for five straight games (or both).

gumbomoop
03-21-2009, 02:47 PM
Yes, much more than were we playing Minnesota, who overachieved but still didn't match up well with Duke, and who weren't impressive at all offensively. Texas, otoh, has 3 potentially dangerous scorers. But Texas will have its hands full, too, and I don't recall whether those who've posted with info on Texas have said much about their defense.

BlueintheFace
03-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Where's the option for ALWAYS NERVOUS!!!

davekay1971
03-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Every game's going to be a challenge at this point. Win this one, win this weekend's tournament, then regroup for the next two game tournament...

78Devil
03-21-2009, 05:35 PM
I think I'm more nervous than usual about this game because I really, really don't want our recent streak of missing out on the Sweet 16 to continue. I don't want to hear all the stories about Duke being in a decline, etc. But more importantly, I truly believe that this is an excellent team. We may not be a likely National Champion, but if we lose to Texas we will have underachieved and I don't want this team to have to live with that. As many others have posted, there is something special about this team, and I want the best for them.

The question I have is that, if I feel that way, do the players feel that way as well? Will the pressure not to "flame out" again make them more likely to freeze up in the beginning and become a self-fulfilling prophesy? Let's hope Coach K's vaunted talents at motivation and psychology really work today!

ricks68
03-21-2009, 06:06 PM
I have been following Texas all year, as I live in Houston.

Their defense is usually very poor. If they rebound well, they do O.K.

If Abrams catches fire he can kill you. He usually is on fire, but has had some poor games when the defense stays on him tight the whole game. Not a very good assist man.

Pittman is a load. In the recent past he usually didn't leave his feet for rebounds. He has been doing that lately, however, and it has paid off for him. His average minutes playing time is deceiving, as it has increased lately as he has been vastly improving. You can slap the ball from him before he goes up for his shot.

Johnson's production has gone down some, as his minutes are being taken by Pittman. When he is in there for Pittman, their mobility greatly improves around the basket. He plays taller than his listed height.

Watch out for James. He can hit different shots and usually lulls you to sleep as he quietly accumulates points. Very good player.

Mason is a step down from James. He has been very good in spots. Is leading them in the assist department.

Atchley shows flouishes---3's and blocks occasionally. His production has waned as the season has progressed, however.

I think a lot of their recent success can be partly attributed to the emergence of their foreign kid, Balbay. He is extremely quick and when others get drawn to him after he blows by you, it opens up his ability to dish very well.

We will do very well if we do not pick up a lot of early fouls on our big men trying to contain Pittman, I believe.

The match-up question may be our only obvious problem: James, Atchley and Pittman are phyically bigger than our top 3 big men regardless of roster data. Also, the speed of Abrams and Balbay is faster than Jon, so he could get blown past easily by one of them and also has to be careful protecting the ball. Nolan and Elliot could contain them pretty well, but then they both would have to be in there at the same time. If Hendo comes over to help instead, then Jon would be left trying to contain the other taller wings.

We just need to be very aggresive without fouling a lot. If we do that, we got it made IMHO.

Ricks

obsesseddukefan
03-21-2009, 06:13 PM
I have been drinking since noon. Cant wait for tip off! LGD!!!

duketaylor
03-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Concerned more than nervous. Always tough this time of year when you have little inside game and rely on 3-pt shooting. Scary as hell. Play good D, hit some shots, hit FTs and advance. Hope the heels lose, too. 9F9F9F9F!!!

geraldsneighbor
03-21-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm nervous before we play Georgia Southern in November. It is how I am as a fan. I am definitely nervous about tonight.

calltheobvious
03-21-2009, 06:52 PM
I was fine until I saw this poll.

biscuit30
03-21-2009, 11:22 PM
Never nervous about a game. As long as K is on the sideline, I feel we will every game.

bjornolf
03-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Not anymore I'm not. ;)

Bostondevil
03-21-2009, 11:42 PM
You beat me to it, bjornolf! Me neither.

rthomas
03-21-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm chill.

Coballs
03-22-2009, 12:05 AM
I was.

DukieInKansas
03-22-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm with Bjornoff, BostonDevil, etc. - not now. But if you ask me about Villanova . . .

devildownunder
03-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Yes, I'm nervous for this game, and I'll be nervous for any subsequent games Duke will play this year should they be fortunate enough to win today. Unless you're the #1 seed in your draw, every game from the second round on is likely to be a tough one. You have to either have a very large margin of error or bring your A game every game for five straight games (or both).

Yeah, what he said. If we're a 1 or 2, I'm relatively relaxed prior to our first-round game (until we trail 5-2, then I get a bit intense:p). Every round after that, you play somebody full capable of beating you, no matter where you're seeded.