PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. Binghamton

Jumbo
03-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Wow -- Gerald Henderson. Did anyone realize, while watching the game, what kind of an impact he made? I certainly didn't. But I broke down the numbers, and sure enough, in the 33 minutes he played, Duke outscored Binghamton by 35 points. In the seven minutes he sat, Duke got outscored by 11. That's unbelievable, and this is from a guy whose plus/minus has often seemed low in comparison to his overall performance. So, big props to G.

Otherwise, there's not much else to linger on here. The starters played well. Nolan was terrific. The team still isn't performing at a high level with Greg in the game. And the end-of-the-bench guys got outscored at the end. Anyway, on to the numbers ...

Individuals
Gerald Henderson 81-46 (+35)
Nolan Smith 51-28 (+23)
Kyle Singler 63-45 (+18)
Jon Scheyer 61-44 (+17)
Elliot Williams 49-33 (+16)
Lance Thomas 52-38 (+14)
David McClure 32-23 (+9)
Greg Paulus 24-23 (+1)
Brian Zoubek 8-9 (-1)
Miles Plumlee 3-6 (-3)
Olek Czyz 3-6 (-3)
Martynas Pocius 3-9 (-6)

Per 40 Minutes
Nolan Smith +43.8
Gerald Henderson +42.4
Kyle Singler +25.7
Elliot Williams +25.6
Lance Thomas +24.3
Jon Scheyer +23.4
David McClure +22.5
Greg Paulus +3.1
Brian Zoubek -10
Martynas Pocius -60
Miles Plumlee -60
Olek Czyz -60

Lineups
Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x3) 23-12 (+11)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure 7-0 (+7)
Smith-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x2) 5-0 (+5)
Paulus-Smith-Williams-Henderson-Thomas 4-0 (+4)
Smith-Williams-Henderson-McClure-Singler (x2) 5-2 (+3)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler 6-3 (+3)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Zoubek 3-0 (+3)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 2-0 (+2)
Smith-Scheyer-Williams-McClure-Singler 2-0 (+2)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x2) 9-8 (+1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 5-5 (0)
Paulus-Smith-Henderson-McClure-Singler 2-2 (0)
Paulus-Smith-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 0-0 (0)
Smith-Williams-Henderson-McClure-Thomas (x2) 6-8 (-2)
Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-McClure-Singler (x2) 4-6 (-2)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-McClure-Singler 0-2 (-2)
Paulus-Pocius-Czyz-Plumlee-Zoubek 3-6 (-3)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Pocius-Zoubek 0-3 (-3)
Paulus-Scheyer-Williams-Singler-Thomas 0-5 (-5)

The Gordog
03-20-2009, 12:39 PM
The team still isn't performing at a high level with Greg in the game.

Lineups
Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x3) 23-12 (+11)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure 7-0 (+7)
Smith-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x2) 5-0 (+5)
Paulus-Smith-Williams-Henderson-Thomas 4-0 (+4)
Smith-Williams-Henderson-McClure-Singler (x2) 5-2 (+3)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler 6-3 (+3)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Zoubek 3-0 (+3)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 2-0 (+2)
Smith-Scheyer-Williams-McClure-Singler 2-0 (+2)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x2) 9-8 (+1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 5-5 (0)
Paulus-Smith-Henderson-McClure-Singler 2-2 (0)
Paulus-Smith-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 0-0 (0)
Smith-Williams-Henderson-McClure-Thomas (x2) 6-8 (-2)
Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-McClure-Singler (x2) 4-6 (-2)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-McClure-Singler 0-2 (-2)
Paulus-Pocius-Czyz-Plumlee-Zoubek 3-6 (-3)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Pocius-Zoubek 0-3 (-3)
Paulus-Scheyer-Williams-Singler-Thomas 0-5 (-5)

I think you have to look at the fact that Paulus played in the second-best lineup after the starters and he played the most minutes with the end of the benchers before you make a statement like that.

Dukiedevil
03-20-2009, 12:46 PM
It seemed to me that Binghamton was really focused on G when he was on the floor. It may have opened things up more for everyone else. Or maybe this is just another statistical outlier :)

roywhite
03-20-2009, 01:04 PM
The numbers on Greg would tend to confirm casual observations about his play---he didn't play well. He rushes shots, misses some easy ones, is casual with the ball in traffic, and has a hard time stopping opposing guards.

Great guy, but seems to me like his game and confidence are at a low level.

It would be a great story for the senior to come back and make some key plays in a championship run, but our other backcourt players are playing much better currently.

BlueintheFace
03-20-2009, 01:13 PM
The numbers on Greg would tend to confirm casual observations about his play---he didn't play well. He rushes shots, misses some easy ones, is casual with the ball in traffic, and has a hard time stopping opposing guards.

Actually, I think your casual observations are pretty incorrect for this game. He took 4 shots. The one three he took, he hit with no hesitation. He hit a baseline jumper and his two misses were on the same play under the basket in traffic (shots that he has never in his life hit consistently). He had 3 assists and one turnover.

All of this was in 13 minutes. Additionally, some of those minutes were at the end with czyz, plumlee, and pocius on the floor.

His man only got by him once on the perimeter and he fouled him to prevent the easy basket.

If paulus had hit that one layup that rimmed out, I would have called this a virtually perfect game off the bench.

Additionally, Paulus was in the 2nd and 4th most efficient lineups, so he certainly wasn't dragging others down...

Frankly, I'm very confused what you were seeing out there.

roywhite
03-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Actually, I think your casual observations are pretty incorrect for this game. He took 4 shots. The one three he took, he hit with no hesitation. He hit a baseline jumper and his two misses were on the same play under the basket in traffic (shots that he has never in his life hit consistently). He had 3 assists and one turnover.

All of this was in 13 minutes. Additionally, some of those minutes were at the end with czyz, plumlee, and pocius on the floor.

His man only got by him once on the perimeter and he fouled him to prevent the easy basket.

If paulus had hit that one layup that rimmed out, I would have called this a virtually perfect game off the bench.

Additionally, Paulus was in the 2nd and 4th most efficient lineups, so he certainly wasn't dragging others down...

Frankly, I'm very confused what you were seeing out there.

Well, just chalk it up as a difference of opinion.

I don't have confidence in his ball handling and he has some bad misses on his shots lately. He blew a pure layup in the ACC Tournament. You indicate that he missed yesterday on shots that he never hits. Well, he probably shouldn't take such shots, eh?

No grudges; just don't think Greg is playing well enough now to justify many minutes.

MChambers
03-20-2009, 01:46 PM
Well, just chalk it up as a difference of opinion.

I don't have confidence in his ball handling and he has some bad misses on his shots lately. He blew a pure layup in the ACC Tournament. You indicate that he missed yesterday on shots that he never hits. Well, he probably shouldn't take such shots, eh?

No grudges; just don't think Greg is playing well enough now to justify many minutes.

I think much of Greg's negative numbers came from his first half appearance, where he made one bad turnover and made another very poor pass that Scheyer saved. He was on the court for part of the Bears' first half offensive recovery, too. In short, he just wasn't very effective when the game was close.

BlueintheFace
03-20-2009, 01:49 PM
I think much of Greg's negative numbers came from his first half appearance, where he made one bad turnover and made another very poor pass that Scheyer saved. He was on the court for part of the Bears' first half offensive recovery, too. In short, he just wasn't very effective when the game was close.

the game was close?

MChambers
03-20-2009, 02:16 PM
the game was close?

Duke's lead was down to 6 late in the first half. You don't call that close?

devildownunder
03-20-2009, 02:45 PM
It was clear to me whenever G was on the floor that the only hope they had of guarding him was to back off about 10 feet and hope he missed the wide-open J. I'm sure Binghamton's coach picked up on that and ordered plenty of extra attention his way. I have no doubt that this contributed to open looks and the good shooting we saw out there, especially in the 2nd half.