PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke 86, Binghamton 62 (NCAA Tournament) Post-Game Thread

Jumbo
03-19-2009, 11:53 PM
Good win -- Duke lives to play another day!

bjornolf
03-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Good win, but I had a question..

It was taking a minute for my video to catch up coming out of commercials. What happened that the announcers were talking about risking a guy's career and there was no room for that in the game? Was there a dirty shot or something? Who on whom? ARRRG.

millerecu
03-19-2009, 11:55 PM
They were talking about a take down of Blake in the OK game.

RainingThrees
03-19-2009, 11:56 PM

It was taking a minute for my video to catch up coming out of commercials. What happened that the announcers were talking about risking a guy's career? Was there a dirty shot or something? ARRRG.

It showed Blake Griffin getting flipped over by the arm. The player that did it was ejected.

roywhite

It was taking a minute for my video to catch up coming out of commercials. What happened that the announcers were talking about risking a guy's career? Was there a dirty shot or something? ARRRG.

Blake Griffin from Oklahoma was literally judo-flipped by an opposing player and went head over heels on to the floor. Immediate ejection.

Madrasdukie
Wish I could have seen it - Baltimore has Morgan State and my computer failed to load the CBS software to view games online. First time I've missed a game in I don't know how long...pretty frustrating.

But hey the score looks awesome !

dcarp23

It was taking a minute for my video to catch up coming out of commercials. What happened that the announcers were talking about risking a guy's career and there was no room for that in the game? Was there a dirty shot or something? Who on whom? ARRRG.

Might have been talking about Blake Griffin getting taken down.

miramar
03-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Nice game, with Thomas as the MVP. Singler became the sixth player in double figures, so it was a good game all around. It certainly beat the first game last year.

bjornolf
03-19-2009, 11:57 PM
Blake Griffin from Oklahoma was literally judo-flipped by an opposing player and went head over heels on to the floor. Immediate ejection.

Thanks.

Ah, okay, my audio and video were a little iffy coming back from commercials. I thought I heard the name Griffin, but I thought maybe it was just some scrub for Binghamton or something. I'm glad it wasn't one of our guys on either end of the exchange. Is Griffin okay I hope?

BlueintheFace
03-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Survive and Advance.

When we ran our offense, things went very well. G didn't really show up, but on the other end, LT was screaming and yelling when we were up 25. I loved his constant intensity

Nolan was great. That is so important and nice to see.

Longhorns up next

JDev
03-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Great second half. Duke came out of the locker room and asserted themselves and Binghampton could not recover. There would have been a large margin earlier if Bing hadn't made six first half threes, mostly while being well guarded. Duke got good balanced scoring and once again took great care of the ball.

millerecu
03-20-2009, 12:00 AM
He looked to be fine. Confused...but fine.

FerryFor50
03-20-2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks.

Ah, okay, my audio and video were a little iffy coming back from commercials. I thought I heard the name Griffin, but I thought maybe it was just some scrub for Binghamton or something. I'm glad it wasn't one of our guys on either end of the exchange. Is Griffin okay I hope?

Griffin is fine but he looked PISSED. Very mature of him to just get up and walk away.

dukelifer
03-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Duke played with workman-like precision. That is how you break a team. This team has really matured. Last year they struggled in their opening round and looked a bit nervous. Today they looked like a top seed. Kyle struggled which may be okay- he may explode next game. Smith really played well- he has gotten his fire back. Williams got his confidence back. Nice game by Thomas as well who made himself available. Duke will need to play very smart in the next game. Tonight- they showed they are ready for this tourney and did not expend that much energy. Just need to get to bed.

roywhite
03-20-2009, 12:05 AM
Liked the contributions of the "non-Big-Three". Elliot Williams had a nice game, as did Nolan, and Lance Thomas had one of his best games.

FerryFor50
03-20-2009, 12:06 AM
Duke played with workman-like precision. That is how you break a team. This team has really matured. Last year they struggled in their opening round and looked a bit nervous. Today they looked like a top seed. Kyle struggled which may be okay- he may explode next game. Smith really played well- he has gotten his fire back. Williams got his confidence back. Nice game by Thomas as well who made himself available. Duke will need to play very smart in the next game. Tonight- they showed they are ready for this tourney and did not expend that much energy. Just need to get to bed.

I didn't think Williams' confidence went anywhere... I just think he's playing within his abilities and letting the game come to him.

Duke definitely handled this game like a 2 seed should handle a 15 seed.

dukelifer
03-20-2009, 12:06 AM
That was a very impressive flip. He was lucky not to get really hurt. Does it make One Shining Moment?

JDev
03-20-2009, 12:07 AM
Duke had six players with between 10 and 15 points. That is the kind of balanced scoring that gets it done in March.

dukelifer
03-20-2009, 12:08 AM
I didn't think Williams' confidence went anywhere... I just think he's playing within his abilities and letting the game come to him.

Duke definitely handled this game like a 2 seed should handle a 15 seed.

Williams struggled a bit in the ACC tourney- as teams figured out how to play him- but tonight he was aggressive.

trinity92
03-20-2009, 12:09 AM
A good, smooth, workmanlike win. As always, I can pick a nit or two, especially that I would have liked to see Zoubek in there a bit more, since we're gonna need him vs. Tejas.

Good to shut things down early and on to Saturday.

Go Duke!!

mgtr
03-20-2009, 12:11 AM
I was happy to see Paulus make some contributions, and also to see Zoubek, Pocius, Plumlee and Czyz in at the end. Something to tell their children and grandchildren. Somebody needs to whisper in Plumlee's ear that he not a point guard.

DukeFanInTerpLand
03-20-2009, 12:11 AM
I'm just happy to have a stress free game for once. I feel like it's been forever since we've been able to play our scrubs in the NCAA.

devildownunder
03-20-2009, 12:19 AM
Texas is a real team, and has a coach that knows Duke. But I have faith that the team will be focused on the task at hand and not looking forward.

LGD!!!!!!!

Given all the things we've done differently this year, it could actually be to our advantage that Barnes might think he's familiar with K and Duke. If he thinks it's a team similar to the ones that blew his squads out in 2003 and 2006, he's in for a big surprise. Totally diff. style.

COYS
03-20-2009, 12:24 AM
Williams struggled a bit in the ACC tourney- as teams figured out how to play him- but tonight he was aggressive.

He also shot threes without hesitation when he was left open, which despite his abysmal percentage for the year, I'm happy to see. Obviously, when the games on the line I'd rather have one of our other guys take the shot, but you never know when Elliot may find himself wide open on a broken play.

Nolan is really looking like a new player. Attacking the basket, stepping into his perimeter shots, finding the open man . . . Before he got injured, he had been so out of sorts I had almost forgotten how much of a positive impact he can have for us. Scheyer is still clearly better running the offense, but Nolan looks far more comfortable even when he's directing traffic. With Elliot, Jon, Gerald, Nolan, and Greg all playing well, our back-court is extremely difficult to match.

It's also nice seeing our perimeter shots falling right away. We seemed loose and mentally refreshed. A couple mistakes with the ball in transition, but I can live with that as the team continues to morph as Nolan works his way back into the rotation. Oh, and a great game from Thomas. When we get buckets from Thomas, we're really rollin'.

devildownunder
03-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Survive and Advance.

When we ran our offense, things went very well. G didn't really show up, but on the other end, LT was screaming and yelling when we were up 25. I loved his constant intensity

Nolan was great. That is so important and nice to see.

Longhorns up next

G was just 3-9 from the field, which isn't great, but he scored 13 points, including 7-7 from the line, had 6 rebounds, 3 assists and a steal (espn stats). And I was much more focused on our offense this game than on D but I don't recall G being a liability on defense either. I think it's totally unfair to say he "didn't really show up".

bjornolf
03-20-2009, 12:27 AM

I definitely think that teams will have trouble with Williams in the tourney. FSU and BC and Maryland had prepared for him. FSU and Maryland had already seen him. They were used to seeing the big three, and were able to add Williams into their preparation.

Teams in the tourney that haven't seen us yet have to concentrate on preparing for the big three. There REALLY isn't much film on Williams yet, and he can take advantage of that against teams that haven't seen us.

And I definitely loved seeing Greg get some positive minutes. We'll definitely need him in that capacity going down the stretch. At some point, somebody's gonna be tired or get into foul trouble, and if he can play like he did today, it'll be huge.

And who DIDN'T love seeing Marty hit that tres at the end?

JMHO.

BlueintheFace
03-20-2009, 12:31 AM
G was just 3-9 from the field, which isn't great, but he scored 13 points, including 7-7 from the line, had 6 rebounds, 3 assists and a steal (espn stats). And I was much more focused on our offense this game than on D but I don't recall G being a liability on defense either. I think it's totally unfair to say he "didn't really show up".

I'm not saying he played terrible, he just wasn't aggressive on either end of the floor and didn't assert himself very often when the opportunity was there. His turnovers were pretty bad ones too that led to fast breaks. He didn't pay poorly, just didn't seem to really play with much umpph. No big deal.

devildownunder
03-20-2009, 12:31 AM
It's also nice seeing our perimeter shots falling right away. We seemed loose and mentally refreshed. A couple mistakes with the ball in transition, but I can live with that as the team continues to morph as Nolan works his way back into the rotation. Oh, and a great game from Thomas. When we get buckets from Thomas, we're really rollin'.

We were so much bigger and stronger than this team, we certainly should've dominated them inside, and we did. Nice job.

As for the perimeter shooting, many of the continuity-related factors that go into shooting a high percentage from distance are starting to turn in this team's favor, after being against it for much of the year. A steady lineup, consistent point play getting us into the offense smoothly on nearly every trip up the floor, and a rotation that's defined well enough for guys to know their roles. This all leads to better shots and better shot selection, which leads to better shooting, as in the acc final, and now added confidence, which just adds even more in your favor. I still don't want to see us start to lean on the 3 for the majority of our offense but you can see the difference in the strokes now that guys are taking shots in rhythm, in the flow of the offense, knowing they're taking good shots and pulling the trigger with confidence. It's great to see.

roywhite
03-20-2009, 12:32 AM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3696658

Big advantage on the boards for Duke, and we hit our foul shots. Another team shoots 50%+ against us. :(

An uncharacteristic number of turnovers for us; we were bothered by their defensive pressure (which included plenty of illegal hand-checking).

devildownunder
03-20-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm not saying he played terrible, he just wasn't aggressive on either end of the floor and didn't assert himself very often when the opportunity was there. His turnovers were pretty bad ones too that led to fast breaks. He didn't pay poorly, just didn't seem to really play with much umpph. No big deal.

I'm not nominating him for man of the match but I disagree about your assessment of his game because you seem to imply a lack of effort. G put the ball on the deck and drove, a lot. For this, he was rewarded with frequent trips to the line. I liked his approach today. I don't think he's ever going to come off as fiery as a guy like Thomas.

FerryFor50
03-20-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm not nominating him for man of the match but I disagree about your assessment of his game because you seem to imply a lack of effort. G put the ball on the deck and drove, a lot. For this, he was rewarded with frequent trips to the line. I liked his approach today. I don't think he's ever going to come off as fiery as a guy like Thomas.

He gets fired up on occasion, but it usually takes something happening - like when Nolan got cheap shotted in the MD game by Neal.

But honestly, did we NEED Gerald to be "fiery" in a game that was never really in doubt?

bjornolf
03-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Another team shoots 50%+ against us.

Yes, they shot 50% against us, but at one point, they put up a stat showing that they were shooting 36% for over half of the second half. They got it back to 50% with the layups in trash time. When it REALLY mattered, at the beginning of the second half, we shut them down.

What about Jon's line? 15 points, 3 boards, 4 assists, 1 turnover, 1 steal. We had a few more turnovers than usual, but that's how Binghamton plays, and Jon really handled the pressure well. G and Kyle had 8 of the 15, and 3 more were by backups, Paulus, Pocius, and Plumlee, the three P's.

roywhite
03-20-2009, 12:45 AM
...and 3 more were by backups, Paulus, Pocius, and Plumlee, the three P's.

Yeah, I'd forgotten how ugly that group can look at the end of games. But seeing them at this time of year is good news. :)

COYS
03-20-2009, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I'd forgotten how ugly that group can look at the end of games. But seeing them at this time of year is good news. :)

Haha, I second that. Definitely didn't see any mop-up minutes in last year's clash with Belmont. I much prefer the way it happened this year. I think some of the turnovers were just the result of us being a little amped up at the start of the game. It's easy to forget that most of our team has had primarily difficult experiences in the NCAAT. This game was a clear statement that last year's team has little in common with this year's team.

heyman25
03-20-2009, 01:55 AM
I liked the many contributions to the win. Kyle was not converting relatively easy shots,but did yeoman's work in other facets of the game.

Glad everyone got in except Steve Johnson. I was glad to see Marty probably hit his last shot in a Duke uniform.

Uncle Drew
03-20-2009, 02:42 AM
For what it's worth this was a quote by the Binghamton head coach after the game.................

"They just wore us down," Broadus said. "People have already said that they're going to lose in whatever round. I tell you, they're good, and I don't see them losing anytime soon. ... We gave it our best shot, but at the end of the day, they were the better team. They wore us down, and there was nothing we could do."

Saratoga2
03-20-2009, 06:25 AM
I only saw the few minutes of the game that CBS chose to cover. Not criticizing them for this as our game was a forgone conclusion.

What I saw early on is that we tried to rush our shots and weren't solid offensively. Our defense and rebounding were, so we clearly had a big advantage. I thought Williams contribution to the offense early, by getting to the basket, was a real positive.

I understand we did a lot of substitution and that was good for a lot of reasons. We have the guards who can give AJ Abrams a lot of in your face pressure and should be able to get by Texas, but need our offense to play with maturity. Scheyer can give it that quality by keeping turnovers down and helping us to get good shots.

calltheobvious
03-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Yes, they shot 50% against us, but at one point, they put up a stat showing that they were shooting 36% for over half of the second half. They got it back to 50% with the layups in trash time. When it REALLY mattered, at the beginning of the second half, we shut them down.

What about Jon's line? 15 points, 3 boards, 4 assists, 1 turnover, 1 steal. We had a few more turnovers than usual, but that's how Binghamton plays, and Jon really handled the pressure well. G and Kyle had 8 of the 15, and 3 more were by backups, Paulus, Pocius, and Plumlee, the three P's.

And lest anyone forget, that one turnover would not even have been recorded in a just world:(

I was both overjoyed and relieved at the way we started the second half. One of Jumbo's Phase VI points was about finishing off plays and teams. Check and check. The team knew that this game was theirs, and it would have been easy for them to come out and cruise through the second half and win by fifteen. But they came out with not a winning mentality, but a championship one, putting the game completely on ice by the first TO of the second half.

I can't wait to see the intensity our guys come out with on Saturday. I really see this as one of those classic K games: all of the heads droning on about all of the challenges an opponent presents to Duke, and then our guys come out and control the basketball game for 40 minutes.

I love Tubby Smith. I respect Minnesota. Duke is no Minnesota.

brumby041
03-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Wish I could have seen it - Baltimore has Morgan State and my computer failed to load the CBS software to view games online. First time I've missed a game in I don't know how long...pretty frustrating.

But hey the score looks awesome !

I'm in Balt/DC as well with Comcast. Try channel 195 as the alternate to 212. 212 had the Morgan State game, while 195 had the Duke game (although in low def.)

davekay1971
03-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Nice, solid win. I have nothing to quibble about - our guys dominated a team they were supposed to beat. I was glad that Binghamtom didn't roll over for us - our guys had to play. Dominating a team that comes out really fighting to win is a great thing to see.

Can't wait for Saturday!

bjornolf
03-20-2009, 09:44 AM
And lest anyone forget, that one turnover would not even have been recorded in a just world. :(

Um, sorry, missed chunks of the game trying to get the computer feed to work when they switched off the game on TV. :rolleyes: What were the circumstances of the turnover in question, and how would it not have been recorded in a just world? Thanks.

DukeUsul
03-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Um, sorry, missed chunks of the game trying to get the computer feed to work when they switched off the game on TV. :rolleyes: What were the circumstances of the turnover in question, and how would it not have been recorded in a just world? Thanks.

Wasn't that one the ridiculous offensive foul they called on Jon? It had to have been an anticipatory whistle as Jon drove the lane....

mr. synellinden
03-20-2009, 10:29 AM
One of the most encouraging stats to me was our FT shooting - 84%. If we can maintain at or close to 80%, I think we dramatically increase our chances of making the Final Four. We will need to hit our free throws to beat Texas - UCLA/Nova - Pitt, et al., especially our guards.

Jon - 6-6
Gerald - 7-7
Nolan 4-5
Elliot 0-1

That's where we need to be.

MChambers
03-20-2009, 10:54 AM
Wasn't that one the ridiculous offensive foul they called on Jon? It had to have been an anticipatory whistle as Jon drove the lane....

It looked like Jon didn't even make contact. Even the CBS announcers were surprised.

Bob Green
03-20-2009, 04:07 PM
All five starters scored in double figures and our bench players chipped in 23 points. That is a very balanced performance. Nolan Smith has emerged as a solid first option off the bench. The team is playing exceptional basketball at the right time of year. We have to take care of business one game at a time...Survive and Advance...five more to go!

KrazyKfan
03-20-2009, 04:24 PM
Next Up: TEXAS! Let's hope everyone on the team gets to eat a steak. Haha

DBFAN
03-20-2009, 04:44 PM
I just wanted to share with everyone my experience at last nights game. First of all it was nice to see a good amount of Duke fans there last night. I had the good fortunes to be in a section where the Duke fans outnumbered the other fans, unfortunately there were four what appeared to be VT fans sitting in front of us. They felt the need to yell and scream at every call that went the way of Duke, complaining about how Duke gets all the calls, and on occasion yell the F bomb, even though there was a little one tree seats down from them. Well I do not have a great threshold for ignorant and rude people. So I decided every time they yelled something rude I would just make sarcastic remarks to them about ignorance of the game, I can not tell you all the things I said in response to their behavior, but I did enough to let them know they were out of line. Needless to say as Duke built it's lead the quieter they became. But, my wife noticed them texting each other about how we were getting on their nerves. Needless to say it just shows that you do not have to be worried about cheering on your team, no matter how many other people are there to boo Duke. I hope another Duke fan gets my seat on Saturday, since I can not go to that one, and I hope they let everyone around them know how proud they are to be a Duke fan, hopefully the other guys in front will not be there to try and ruin your experience.

Go Duke

InSpades
03-20-2009, 04:46 PM
It looked like Jon didn't even make contact. Even the CBS announcers were surprised.

It seemed like the refs blew the whistle and then realized there wasn't really a foul. They felt bad that they had already called a zillion fouls on them so they just said it was offensive and gave it to John. A couple of his "turnovers" since becoming point guard have been bad offensive foul calls.

Laettner92
03-20-2009, 04:52 PM
This kind of behavior is all too familar!I could'nt belive the crap i heard at the Georgia Tech game when i went this year.I would have reacted the same.

DBFAN
03-20-2009, 05:27 PM
I guess what puzzled me the most, was they were clearly VT fans, wearing their Hokies shirts, and hats, and one guy had on a Frank Beamer T shirt. Now if I am not mistaken VT is probably not the sports program who should be talking about the integrity of the game. Something else that made me laugh was all the Carolina fans Booing Duke (to be expected since they are obsessed with us) but they never really cheered for Binghamton (don't have a clue how to spell that). I think they cheered one time for them when they cut it to 7. It was hilarious. Although I admit I wore my "The only thing I hate more than Carolina Baketball.............Are Carolina Fans" I did get some strange looks, but no one cared too much :D

millerecu
03-20-2009, 06:40 PM
Although I admit I wore my "The only thing I hate more than Carolina Baketball.............Are Carolina Fans" I did get some strange looks, but no one cared too much :D[/QUOTE]

I have to have one of these shirts.....where can i get one? The family reunion will be priceless!

-jk
03-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Something else that made me laugh was all the Carolina fans Booing Duke (to be expected since they are obsessed with us) but they never really cheered for Binghamton (don't have a clue how to spell that). I think they cheered one time for them when they cut it to 7. It was hilarious. Although I admit I wore my "The only thing I hate more than Carolina Baketball.............Are Carolina Fans" I did get some strange looks, but no one cared too much :D

Obsession? No obsessions here... ;)

-jk

DBFAN
03-20-2009, 11:13 PM
Although I admit I wore my "The only thing I hate more than Carolina Baketball.............Are Carolina Fans" I did get some strange looks, but no one cared too much :D

I have to have one of these shirts.....where can i get one? The family reunion will be priceless![/QUOTE]

I got it at the ACC Conference store in Greensboro, of course realize they have have them for every team, but it is still fun to have and break it out on those special occasions ;)