PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to the new ACC scoring leader

DukeUsul
03-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Congrats to Mr. Hansbrough on breaking JJ's record. He did it early in the Radford game, and from the free throw line no less. CBS reports that JJ will be calling him after the game to say congratulations.

DukieInKansas
03-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Congratulations, Tyler.

summerwind03
03-19-2009, 04:45 PM
He is an excellent college player. Impressive.

JDev
03-19-2009, 04:51 PM
I would have bet any sum of money that the record breaking points would come from the free throw line. Apropos.
Huge accomplishment though. He is on any short list of ACC greats.

TillyGalore
03-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Congratulations, Mr. Hansbrough.

shadowfax336
03-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Well done. It was deserved, and its good for college basketball that he's been doing this even when its not good for Duke. Congratulations and here's to an early tournament exit (but a final 4 loss to Duke would be ok too)

blueprofessor
03-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Now that you have the scoring title, it is time to go home.:D
Best---Blueprof:)

captmojo
03-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah...blah, blah, blah.

So you did it.
Thank God it wasn't done against Duke.
Take your prize now and go home.

Seriously, congrats. It is a fine accomplishment.

Careful. Watch your steps.

:eek:

chrishoke
03-19-2009, 06:13 PM
Congratulations Tyler, well done and well earned. Here's to more college players staying all 4 years like Tyler, JJ, and Shane.

CameronBornAndBred
03-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Congratulations T. Just another notch in Tobacco Road hoops' bedpost, proving if you want the best, we don't have to travel far to find it.

KrazyKfan
03-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Call me a bitter Duke fan, but I disagree strongly with this thread.

To me, Hansbrough represents everything that is wrong with college basketball.

I can live with most of the free throws, he does get a lot of contact, and he is an impressive free throw shooter.

On the other hand, many of his baskets come from blatant travels that the refs refuse to call. If any of you have seen Bob Knight's story on traveling earlier in the season, that's a pretty good assessment to how he gets many of his baskets.

Better than JJ? No way. JJ wasn't a post, he was a guard, and he got hammered just like Hansbrough did. On top of that, he was one of the ACC's most prolific shooters.

Bottom line, Hansbrough's a good player, maybe a great player, but he does not deserve this award, and I'm ashamed that he got it.

I'm just gonna turn off the TV and cry in the dark for a little while...

cl15876
03-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Congratulations, Mr. Hansbrough.

Mr. .... sheet, ..., I respect the guy for good play, but Mr.????

CameronCrazy'11
03-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Congrats Tyler. Even if I wanted to, I just couldn't hate the guy. Mostly because he has so little on-court personality that it's hard to feel anything towards him. But also because he stayed in school, doesn't whine or showboat or play dirty. Even if he does travel and get all the calls, that's the refs' fault, not his. Despite the record, certainly not the best player to come through the ACC, but a good representative of the conference nonetheless.

WSW77
03-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Congrats! And good luck next year playing in Europe.....

FireOgilvie
03-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Congrats! And good luck next year playing in Europe.....

Give the guy a break.

D League.

davekay1971
03-19-2009, 08:13 PM
I just threw up in my mouth...

And please, people, Beaker will not be in Europe or the D League next year. Charlotte will blow their first round pick on him so he can sit next to Sean May...

Son of Mojo
03-19-2009, 08:28 PM
I was thinking the same thing......he'll be a Charlotte Tarcat....or is it Bobheel? Regardless, hope they lose so we never have to see his disturbing visage again. I can't play nice or be respectful--he was given too many FT's that were not warranted for 4 years. He's gotten to play by a different set of rules--walk all over, flop 6', and leap into his opponents while they suffered fouls that they shouldn't have. Maybe we'll find out he roided up and there will be an asterisk by his name???? :D

hoseman
03-19-2009, 08:36 PM
Duke fans are true sports fans as exemplified in this thread. I have no iron in the Duke/UNC deal but reading these posts makes me smile about the top notch Duke folks on this board.

Watching the ACC tournament, talking with my Duke graduate buddy at work, touring Duke last year, meeting Duke students and staff, you guys are first class!

Go Duke!

By the way, Clemson is falling apart tonight...whats up with those guys?

wolfpackdevil
03-19-2009, 09:08 PM

I can live with most of the free throws, he does get a lot of contact, and he is an impressive free throw shooter.

On the other hand, many of his baskets come from blatant travels that the refs refuse to call. If any of you have seen Bob Knight's story on traveling earlier in the season, that's a pretty good assessment to how he gets many of his baskets.

Better than JJ? No way. JJ wasn't a post, he was a guard, and he got hammered just like Hansbrough did. On top of that, he was one of the ACC's most prolific shooters.

Bottom line, Hansbrough's a good player, maybe a great player, but he does not deserve this award, and I'm ashamed that he got it.

I respect your opinion, but I think you are very wrong. Yes, Hansbrough might take some extra steps, but it never gets him much better position. And even if he does take steps, nobody can stop him. And I mean Nobody.

He can muscle up and create the weirdest shots in the post, and he can step out and hit 3's.

He makes free-throws, hits 15 footers, and does everything.

I think he is a great player, and deserves this award

Stray Gator
03-19-2009, 09:27 PM
I respect your opinion, but I think you are very wrong. Yes, Hansbrough might take some extra steps, but it never gets him much better position. ...

While I don't dispute that Hansbrough is a fine player who brings a load of desire and energy to the game, for which he deserves much credit, I beg to differ with your observation. I've seen this sequence many, many times over the past four years: Once Hansbrough receives the ball down low and his defender establishes position to block his path to the basket, taking that extra step to move around or outside the blocked position--and then leaning or jumping back into the defender--enables Hansbrough to create ample space to get off his shot, while putting the defender in a disadvantageous position that leaves him little option but to reach, thereby resulting in a foul. It's Hansbrough's "patented move"; and largely because he's been allowed to exploit it with impunity, he's now the ACC all-time scoring leader.

juise
03-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Congratulations T. Just another notch in Tobacco Road hoops' bedpost, proving if you want the best, we don't have to travel far to find it.

Pun intended? (emphasis mine)

Congrats to Psycho T. Honestly though, I'd rather see Lawson graduate than Hans. Lawson is the reason the Heels beat us.

Newton_14
03-19-2009, 09:33 PM
I never liked Hans, but it is what it is. I certainly do not think he is "everything that is wrong with college basketball".

If anything he is everything that is right with college basketball. Even if he would not have been a lottery pick, he would have always been a 1st round pick, but he turned down the money and gave his school 4 great years.

I was hoping he would fall short of JJ's record, but he earned it. He was incredibly hard to stop down low, and ugly or not, his shots went in, alot.

So tip your hat to him, applaud him for staying 4 years in this era, respect what he accomplished, and be thankful he will never play another game in CIS.

I for one am very happy that after this season, we never have to see him again!

GoingFor#5
03-19-2009, 09:39 PM

Seriously. Why would this thread be allowed here? Someone needs to lock it.

WSW77
03-19-2009, 09:40 PM
I respect the fact that he has set many records over his career and was able to accomplish those by staying 4 years, with early college career exits being the norm. My complaint is the argument that he is "the hardest working player in the country." Really? Is that to say that no other player works hard? If things don't work out with the Bobholes, I am sure Dr. Bunsen Honeydew will welcome him back.

KrazyKfan
03-19-2009, 09:41 PM
I for one am very happy that after this season, we never have to see him again!

Tru dat, even though we disagree on how he gets the points.

devildeac
03-19-2009, 09:45 PM
Geaux Tigers!

_Gary
03-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Color me shocked at all the congrats being extended to Hanstravel here tonight. He gets no such congratulatory expression from me. How can I possibly say that in good conscience when he's traveled so, so much in his career. And the fouls against/fouls for has always been so out of whack that there's just no way I can honestly congratulate the guy.

Gary

flyingdutchdevil
03-19-2009, 10:20 PM
Dear Mr Hansborogh,

Congrats. What you did is one hell of an accomplishment. I hope your record will be broken by another Duke player, but you broke one of our greatest players. Please pat yourself on the back.

I would like to note the following, Tyler, just so to clarify a few things.

1) If anyone says you don't deserve this because refs don't call travel, tell them to $#%$# off. Is it Hansborough's fault that he doesn't get called? Are you going to go that low? Wow.....
2) You probably won't go far in the tourney. Sorry, but it's true.
3) You know you should have gone to the NBA last year. Your stock has fallen. 2nd round is may all you can get.
4) I wish we had a player like you. Any Duke fan who disagrees is lying.

Regards,

the Flying Dutch Devil

KrazyKfan
03-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Dear Mr Hansborogh,

Congrats. What you did is one hell of an accomplishment. I hope your record will be broken by another Duke player, but you broke one of our greatest players. Please pat yourself on the back.

I would like to note the following, Tyler, just so to clarify a few things.

1) If anyone says you don't deserve this because refs don't call travel, tell them to $#%$# off. Is it Hansborough's fault that he doesn't get called? Are you going to go that low? Wow.....
2) You probably won't go far in the tourney. Sorry, but it's true.
3) You know you should have gone to the NBA last year. Your stock has fallen. 2nd round is may all you can get.
4) I wish we had a player like you. Any Duke fan who disagrees is lying.

Regards,

the Flying Dutch Devil

I don't want to get points by his means. Between the flops, the fouls, the complaining to the refs, I'd rather never win a National Championship for ten years than have a player like Hansbrough.

Seriously. And I'm not lying.

flyingdutchdevil
03-19-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't want to get points by his means. Between the flops, the fouls, the complaining to the refs, I'd rather never win a National Championship for ten years than have a player like Hansbrough.

Seriously. And I'm not lying.

For the record, Duke players flop as well. We foul as well. And if I'm not mistaken, Coach K is the master as working the refs.

It's all a part of the game. Every team does it. Tyler just happens to do a lot of it and get away with it. That's impressive.

Do I like Tyler? No. Do I respect him? Absolutely

beltwayBD
03-19-2009, 10:44 PM
You are too good at college ball to not acknowledge. Much as it pains me.

hurleyfor3
03-20-2009, 12:01 AM
If anything he is everything that is right with college basketball. Even if he would not have been a lottery pick, he would have always been a 1st round pick, but he turned down the money and gave his school 4 great years.

I have to agree with this. I'd rather a Duke guy have the record, too, but essentially what we're complaining about is a guy who is fiercely competitive, loyal to his school and appreciative of the undergraduate experience. College basketball needs more players like Tyler, not fewer. Heck, the more there are, the more likely someone will break his record.

moonpie23
03-20-2009, 12:34 AM
congrats tyler, i have changed my avatar as a nod to your new record.

bjornolf
03-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Congrats, <grumble, grumble>. Now back to the Binghamton and Texas threads!

-bdbd
03-20-2009, 01:26 AM
You are too good at college ball to not acknowledge. Much as it pains me.

Agree.
How can you not at least respect a kid like TH. Were he not wearing that ugly faded blue color, evryone here would LOVE this guy (esp if in Royal Blue). As a true competitor, you have to respect him -- it diminishes US not to acknowledge what the kid has accomplished. (Remember how much opposing fans hated Christian? But the smarter/classier ones at least RESPECTED and often acknowledged that they FEARED him.)

He could be worth millions now, but liked college so much (albeit an inferior one) that he came back for his 3rd and 4th years. Fairly unusual nowadays for a player at that level. That deserves respect.

TH is in many ways more like your typical Dukie than a typical 'heel -- lots of heart, makes the absolute most out of his given physical abilities, and has the "neverending motor." I for one am thrilled we won't have to face him again.

Did he get a lot of help from the zebras getting to the record - sure. Does all the traveling help him to draw fouls and get buckets other guys don't get the benefit of? Certainly. Absolutely no doubt at all. (I've been predicting for weeks he'd get the record at the charity stripe - there's a reason they call it that...) But to pretend TH isn't one of the ACC greats - like JJ - is just preposterous. And had he, by some twist of fate, come to Duke instead, we'd be all raving about his game... What, anybody here want to pretend Duke doesn't frequently draw charges by feigning greater impact than occured or getting defensive fouls by leaning into a shot-blocker? (some of the more jerk-like heel fans would claim that's MOST of our game...)

I've always laughed at how so many of them reviled Bobby Hurley and Christian L. -- they recruited both of them heavily (as do both schools often recruit many of the same kids).

So, a tip of the hat to Psycho-T.
We're gonna miss ya (not!). :-)

-BDBD :rolleyes:

4decadedukie
03-20-2009, 04:02 AM
While I don't dispute that Hansbrough is a fine player who brings a load of desire and energy to the game, for which he deserves much credit, I beg to differ with your observation. I've seen this sequence many, many times over the past four years: Once Hansbrough receives the ball down low and his defender establishes position to block his path to the basket, taking that extra step to move around or outside the blocked position--and then leaning or jumping back into the defender--enables Hansbrough to create ample space to get off his shot, while putting the defender in a disadvantageous position that leaves him little option but to reach, thereby resulting in a foul. It's Hansbrough's "patented move"; and largely because he's been allowed to exploit it with impunity, he's now the ACC all-time scoring leader.

I agree with Stray. In fact, I was going to comment that this is his second record breaking accomplishment, the first being uncalled traveling violations.:D

CameronBornAndBred
03-20-2009, 08:04 AM
He's gotten to play by a different set of rules--walk all over, flop 6', and leap into his opponents while they suffered fouls that they shouldn't have.
I hate this argument. Yes, he's a walker and a flopper, but as others have pointed out, blame the refs if you don't like it, but otherwise credit him. Especially for the "leaping into his opponents". That is a taught and learned skill, watch any game today and you will see most any shooter, whether at the 3 point line or under the basket do their damndest at some point during the game to lean into a defender on the shot. Chances are the shot will miss because of the contact that IS intiated by the shooter, but you go to the stripe and get free throws. That combo is more valuable than had the shot gone in unfouled, and definitely more valuable than had it missed untouched. Scheyer does it all the time, and it is as much to his credit for doing it as it is to any other player, including Hansbrough. Bleah, I hate defending a tarheel.

elvis14
03-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Congratulations on breaking the record for most free throws every awarded to a player. We don't have to have a thread breaking this guy down but simple silence (meaning the lack of this thread) would have been appropriate.

PDDuke85
03-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Looking forward to November when the Heels hoist the ACC Tournament Quarter Finals Winner banner on the same night they celebrate the naming of the Tyler Hansbrough free throw line at the Dean Smith Center.

jkidd31
03-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Call me bitter but JJ was cheated out of at least two games; the LSU game where the refs refused to make a call in what football is refered to as holding or illegal use of hands, and the next game after that one.

Tyler should still be chasing JJ :)

RelativeWays
03-21-2009, 11:44 PM
I have no problem with congratulating Tyler on getting the ACC scoring record because:

1) He deserves it. By hook or by crook, he did whatever he could do to help his team win. We don't have to like all his methods but we can respect the effort. I also think he showed more passion in winning than breaking records or personal accolades.

2) This thread shows how much better DBR posters are than the usually foul mouthed mongoloids that populate other forums.
DBR > your favorite team's forum.