PDA

View Full Version : Grant Hill's toe injury, 1993

hurleyfor3
03-19-2009, 12:55 PM
Who remembers this better than I do? He injured it mid-February during a game against Wake in which he played only 16 minutes. He missed a full three weeks, comprising six games, and didn't come back until the ACC Tournament. He played OK in his first game back (started, 35 minutes, 14 points on 6-12 FG; I was at the game and don't remember him playing poorly) although Duke lost.

I don't think his injury was the reason we blow out in the second round that year, but of the three games we lost while he was out, one or two very likely would have been victories had he played. (Indirectly, we may have gotten a two seed instead of a three, but we weren't really Final Four material that year.)

Trying to get an idea how his injury compares to Lawson's, and what unc faces without him.

6th Man
03-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Now that you mention it...I do remember his injury being called "turf toe". And that was the year Cal and Jason Kidd knocked us out despite Hurley's game of 30+ points. That was a pretty decent team that I think could have been final 4 worthy. I can't imagine a team with Grant Hill and Hurley not being a Final 4 caliber team.

BD80
03-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Now that you mention it...I do remember his injury being called "turf toe". And that was the year Cal and Jason Kidd knocked us out despite Hurley's game of 30+ points. That was a pretty decent team that I think could have been final 4 worthy. I can't imagine a team with Grant Hill and Hurley not being a Final 4 caliber team.

I remember Grant's injury being significant in the loss

hurleyfor3
03-19-2009, 01:42 PM
The Final Four teams were very good that year, and I remember thinking there was no way were getting by Kansas (ick... Roy) if we had beaten Cal. Anyway, I'm trying to compare Grant's injury to Lawson's, and it potential effect on the team.

Delaware
03-19-2009, 01:59 PM
if in Roy's/UNC's desire to beat Duke during the regular season, win the ACC "regualar season title", etc.... they end up using Lawson and hurting him further and bow out before the final 4 and/or before Duke does. My dream come true.... they would be left with nothing except a mythical regular season ACC title.

bjornolf
03-19-2009, 02:13 PM
Oh, come on, they'll have two banners to put up... ACC regular season champions, and Tyler Hansbrough's jersey... greatest player ever in the history of UNC...no the ACC... no ever to step on the court!