PDA

View Full Version : Coack K on Obama from main page

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-19-2009, 02:10 AM
Saw the story on the DBR front page. Coach K says that President Obama should concentrate on the economy and not brackets. Thoughs?

-If I was loosing my home or getting screwed by some big shot on wall street I don't think seeing Oboma on ESPN would make me very happy. Plus he is doing a whole lot of recruiting for NC these days, going to play ball in the Dean Dome and now picking them to go to the title game. But maybe I'm thinking too much into it.

minday
03-19-2009, 02:13 AM
I was searching for something on this:

"Somebody said that we're not in President Obama's Final Four, and as much as I respect what he's doing, really, the economy is something that he should focus on, probably more than the brackets," Krzyzewski told a reporter from the Associated Press on Wednesday.

Way to go, K. You would benefit from listening, Mr. Obama.

And yes, during his campaign tour last year Obama stopped and played a game with the guys from UNC...oh, and they gave him some lovely shoes or something ridiculous. I suppose he figured that UNC has the most "bandwagon" fans so he should associate with them, and he was/is probably right (I can't tell you how many times I have asked a UNC 'fan' to name their starting lineup and they just blankly stare off into the distance while telling me that floppy is the best player ever...so sad).

brevity
03-19-2009, 04:44 AM
Sorry, Coach K, and at the risk of going Off Topic (or Public Policy), it's nice to have a President with some real priorities.*

I watched his "Barack-etology" segment with Andy Katz this morning, and the man cracked me up. Like making sure the public knows that picking Utah over Arizona was not a McCain issue. Also:

"I've gotta pick Duke."
"The whole way, or just right here?"
"No, no, not the whole way."

Sure, there's a good chance that Reggie Love or Craig Robinson fed him some talking points, but the concept of a President mentioning DeJuan Blair and Dominic James by name is very cool.

And while he picked UNC to win it all, it's a pick from the head rather than the heart. Should Illinois make the Sweet 16, he won't be rooting for a successful bracket.

* Prime example: on ESPN's Monday Night Football before the election, Chris Berman talked to both candidates, and asked them about the one sports issue they'd like to address. McCain discussed steroids; Obama talked college football playoff. McCain had the nicer-sounding political answer, but that issue is useless. Obama came across as the real fan.

MonitorMom
03-19-2009, 05:58 AM
I value the fact that the President watches American Idol with his kids, has taken out college loans, uses a Blackberry, and fills out a bracket...however terribly misguided his picks are.

Channing
03-19-2009, 06:44 AM
I value the fact that the President watches American Idol with his kids, has taken out college loans, uses a Blackberry, and fills out a bracket...however terribly misguided his picks are.

like I said on the PPB, I think it is good we have a president that is actively trying to relate to his constituents. We havent had that in a long time (whatever your political beliefs may be). To think he is ignoring our bigger problems because he took an hr to do a segment with ESPN is ludicrous.

davekay1971
03-19-2009, 06:44 AM
Prime example: on ESPN's Monday Night Football before the election, Chris Berman talked to both candidates, and asked them about the one sports issue they'd like to address. McCain discussed steroids; Obama talked college football playoff. McCain had the nicer-sounding political answer, but that issue is useless. Obama came across as the real fan.

I think Obama came across as the one more attuned to which issue had easy popularity points. Every fan wants a college football playoff. It was an answer which would appeal to everyone - simple easy popularity points. I tend to agree also with the poster above - if you want to win North Carolina (which was a battleground state) you're a heck of a lot better off seen playing one on one with Hansbrough in the Dean Dome than with Kyle Singler in Cameron.

Mr. Obama is as savvy a politician as we've seen in a long, long time. I'm sure he's a real sports fan, but I'm pretty confident that what he publicly says about sports has been processed through the political engine of his mind before it comes out of his mouth.

At any rate, I'm with Coach K. With as many problems as this administration has already run into, and with as many problems as they have to deal with, spend a little less time pandering for popularity points and a little more time figuring out exactly where our hundreds of billions of tax dollars are going and whether they're being used as efficiently as possible to improve our economy today and in the future.

And next time, Mr. Obama, recognize the skills: pick Duke.

TNDukeFan
03-19-2009, 07:03 AM
...I can't agree. First, our President is a symbolic leader as much an administrator or executive. Showing empathy, the common touch, or whatever your term for it is part of the job.

Second, he's a real hoops guy. The SI piece on him showed that.

Third, seriously, would we be having this conversation if he picked Duke?:)

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-19-2009, 07:11 AM
...I can't agree. First, our President is a symbolic leader as much an administrator or executive. Showing empathy, the common touch, or whatever your term for it is part of the job.

Second, he's a real hoops guy. The SI piece on him showed that.

Third, seriously, would we be having this conversation if he picked Duke?:)

I think we would, because I Coach K probably would have said the same thing, just a little different such as "I am glad he chose us but, he has bigger fish to fry" However I am sure us fans would view it different you're right about that.;)

davekay1971
03-19-2009, 07:20 AM
It's up to the mods, but this is probably a great thread for the off topic page, since it's not really about hoops as much as our views on Coach K's remarks about the President taking the time to do a PR piece on his picks.

Turtleboy
03-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Uh guys? Coach K was kidding. Did anyone see that press conference? He had a smile on his face the whole time. It was a joke.

Linking to a site that says he "disses" the president and "lashes out" is a bit weird.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-19-2009, 07:27 AM
Uh guys? Coach K was kidding. Did anyone see that press conference? He had a smile on his face the whole time. It was a joke.

Linking to a site that says he "disses" the president and "lashes out" is a bit weird.

I thought that it might have been taken out of context or that there was more to it. But its even on FoxNews front page with the same exact quote but I wasn't sure if that was all he said or not

Turtleboy
03-19-2009, 07:32 AM
I thought that it might have been taken out of context or that there was more to it. But its even on FoxNews front page with the same exact quote but I wasn't sure if that was all he said or notThe quote is right, but he wasn't serious. It was a throwaway remark. And he was by no means lashing out. Or "dissing" the president.

slower
03-19-2009, 07:36 AM
I thought that it might have been taken out of context or that there was more to it. But its even on FoxNews front page with the same exact quote but I wasn't sure if that was all he said or not

It's on Fox News! My God, then it MUST be true!!;)

Sorry, "Fox" and "News" are mutually exclusive.

davekay1971
03-19-2009, 07:40 AM
It's on Fox News! My God, then it MUST be true!!;)

Sorry, "Fox" and "News" are mutually exclusive.

Come on, now, Fox News is just as unbiased and impartial as CNN and MSNBC. That is to say, equally biased, just in the opposite direction :)

I heard the soundbyte on sports radio, and didn't pick up the humor in Coach's voice. Thanks for the post on the video.

Rogue
03-19-2009, 07:41 AM
He needs better advisors for the East and South regions.. sheeesh:rolleyes:

GOOOOOOOOOOOOO DUKE:D

ForeverBlowingBubbles
03-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Come on, now, Fox News is just as unbiased and impartial as CNN and MSNBC. That is to say, equally biased, just in the opposite direction :)

I heard the soundbyte on sports radio, and didn't pick up the humor in Coach's voice. Thanks for the post on the video.

I don't think there is any doubt that Fox leans a lot farther to the right than CNN leans to the left. (and CNN leans pretty far to the left)

quickgtp
03-19-2009, 07:58 AM
I don't think there is any doubt that Fox leans a lot farther to the right than CNN leans to the left. (and CNN leans pretty far to the left)

According to who? I think a majority of the media leans left just as much, if not more, than Fox news leans right. I can't stand Fox most of the time anyway, but at least they have the guts to come out with stories that "aren't supposed to come out."

I am Independent myself, but regardless I feel Barack should concentrate more on the economy than the brackets. 1 hour away from the economy is one too many IMO. Having a President that "gets it" and knows how to run a bracket is an insult to me when my taxes are going up and the government gets bigger and bigger.

On a positive note.....there is a TON of bball on today!

blueprofessor
03-19-2009, 08:11 AM

on CNN is 1 to 3.
On Fox, it is 1 to 1.
Overall about 95 % of big media reporters, editors, and anchors and producers vote Dem.

Best--Blue "What are these political remarks doing on the main page,anyhow?"Prof:D

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-19-2009, 08:21 AM
on CNN is 1 to 3.
On Fox, it is 1 to 1.
Overall about 95 % of big media reporters, editors, and anchors and producers vote Dem.

Best--Blue "What are these political remarks doing on the main page,anyhow?"Prof:D

Well I just wanted to hear what people thought, guess I should have put this in the Off Topic didn't think It would get this much into politics.

Sorry mods I'm newish

brumby041
03-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Why can Obama not have any down time? I realize that there are serious issues facing the country, but is he supposed to work 24-7-365? No weekends? Holidays? TV Time with the kids?

Lots of folks jumped on BO for taking 20 minutes to do humorous piece about his bracket picks. How many folks around the country do you suppose have spent more than 20 minutes AT WORK picking brackets, watching streaming games, or, uh, reading this board?

Give the man a break. I want Duke to cut down the nets as much as the next Duke fan, but come on - I think the majority of the talking heads, Vegas, etc. all have UNC going farther than us. Plus, they've beaten us twice already. Can you imagine the outcry if he had copied Reggie's bracket (I assume) and put Duke in there?

9F

TillyGalore
03-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Wonder if he'll have to back pedal his picks like he's having to back pedal his "outrage" over the AIG bonuses.

JG Nothing
03-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Perhaps the mods should consider leaving this story on the EK forum since there has been so much misinformation about K's statement.

http://mediamatters.org/countyfair/200903190004

Quoting from the article:

Fox and the Associated Press are hyping a statement by Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski that President Obama should focus on fixing the economy, not trying to predict NCAA tournament results.....

But Krzyzewski was smiling as he said that, and his very next words -- not reported by the AP or Fox -- were "Why would i care about that? I love the guy, and I think he's gonna be great."

Mike Corey
03-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Full transcript of the exchange:

Q. You guys have won 9 out of the last 10 games. You're the ACC champions, one of the toughest leagues in the country. I know you don't listen to the so called experts. But not a lot of people are talking about you guys. You don't see Duke moving in many people's brackets. What do you think about that?

COACH KRZYZEWSKI: I don't think about it at all, because some people have asked how do you prepare and whatever. I don't fill out a bracket. I'm not a I am a fan, but I'm not a fan of basketball now. I'm the coach of my team. When you're coaching your team, you should have just great focus on what you are doing.

Really it doesn't matter at all what anyone predicts, it's what you do. Somebody said that we're not in President Obama's Final Four. As much as I respect what he's done, really, the economy is something that he should focus on, probably, more than the brackets. So why would I care about that?

I love the guy, and I think he's going to be great. But I love the fact that so many people are filling them out, because the game is growing so much. But until I quit coaching or retire from coaching, I'm never going to fill one out.

Bluedog
03-19-2009, 11:34 AM
A portion of the exchange on video can be found here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/sportscenter/index

He clearly was joking.

Chard
03-19-2009, 11:59 AM
It doesn't matter if K was saying those words with a big red clown nose and a silly set of shoes on. It doesn't change what he meant even in context. Words mean things, folks. K wasn't laughing, smiling until the end of the "punch line."

AIG, Leno, basketball, it's all one big distraction.

Thread lock down/Chard banning/post deletion in 5, 4, 3, 2....

TillyGalore
03-19-2009, 12:09 PM
It doesn't matter if K was saying those words with a big red clown nose and a silly set of shoes on. It doesn't change what he meant even in context. Words mean things, folks. K wasn't laughing, smiling until the end of the "punch line."

AIG, Leno, basketball, it's all one big distraction.

Thread lock down/Chard banning/post deletion in 5, 4, 3, 2....

So tell me, what exactly did Coach K mean when he said, "I love the guy, and I think he's going to be great"?

Neals384
03-19-2009, 12:17 PM
So tell me, what exactly did Coach K mean when he said, "I love the guy, and I think he's going to be great"?

"Basketball recruits who love President Obama, so does your future coach."

blueprofessor
03-19-2009, 12:20 PM

...sins!"Pulling for UNC is a sin.:D

K is a fairly diplomatic person and ,as a Catholic, has an affectionate heart for all in distress.:D
Also, he loves bball and appreciates O's being a fan--aside from any political differences.
Maybe Roy will sub O for Lawson.

Best--Blueprof:)

TillyGalore
03-19-2009, 12:33 PM
"Basketball recruits who love President Obama, so does your future coach."

...sins!"Pulling for UNC is a sin.:D

K is a fairly diplomatic person and ,as a Catholic, has an affectionate heart for all in distress.:D
Also, he loves bball and appreciates O's being a fan--aside from any political differences.
Maybe Roy will sub O for Lawson.

Thank you for your responses. I was trying to point out to Chard that Coach K said more than the economy line.

Coach K may not have voted for BO, but that doesn't mean he can't rib him in a kidding manner about some things. I think people are still a little too tightly wound over politics, never mind basketball.

devildeac
03-19-2009, 12:41 PM
I hope the economy REBOUNDS and pleases the Prez (and the nation, of course) but I hope the 'heels don't and he is significantly disappointed. Again.

Atlanta Duke
03-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Well as of 1245 EDT it's the lead story on Drudge:D

DUKE COACH SLAM DUNKS OBAMA: FOCUS ON ECONOMY NOT NCAA PICKS

http://www.drudgereport.com/

Another wave of Duke hatred may soon be cresting:)

quickgtp
03-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Yeah ATL good call. Drudge is not helping us Duke fans!

DukeFanInTerpLand
03-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Wow. Behold the power of selective quoting.

BlueintheFace
03-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Now Texas senator John Cornyn and a few others are quoting K to criticize Obama.... this sucks for Duke Basketball. I am so mad at the AP right now.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/03/19/gop-senator-backs-coack-k-on-obamas-basketball-picks/

bulldog44
03-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Perhaps the mods should consider leaving this story on the EK forum since there has been so much misinformation about K's statement.

http://mediamatters.org/countyfair/200903190004

Quoting from the article:

Fox and the Associated Press are hyping a statement by Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski that President Obama should focus on fixing the economy, not trying to predict NCAA tournament results.....

But Krzyzewski was smiling as he said that, and his very next words -- not reported by the AP or Fox -- were "Why would i care about that? I love the guy, and I think he's gonna be great."

Media Matters ??? Nah I think I will avoid the Soros funded website, thanks for the update though. Maybe I can go to Daily Kos and see how Bush is Hitler and Cheney is Satan. Don't get me wrong I am sure K was joking to a degree but MM is not my cup o' tea.

BlueintheFace
03-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Media Matters ??? Nah I think I will avoid the Soros funded website, thanks for the update though. Maybe I can go to Daily Kos and see how Bush is Hitler and Cheney is Satan. Don't get me wrong I am sure K was joking to a degree but MM is not my cup o' tea.

This Post ^= Fail

Not because of the political lean of the comments, but because:

1) that you are even turning this thread into a political discussion and didn't make a single point about basketball or coach K.

2) The OP was simply giving the full contents of the quote and its context. If you don't like Media Matters, you always can go see the video on ESPN.

3) Not only did you feel that it was necessary to make YOUR political leanings public, but you also felt that it was necessary to attack those of others.

If you want to talk about things relevant to the Duke program, fine, but take your political diatribes elsewhere please. I don't want to see it here.

FAIL

jma4life
03-19-2009, 02:29 PM
shows how big a joke the media can be.

bulldog44
03-19-2009, 02:39 PM
This Post ^= Fail

1) that you are even turning this thread into a political discussion and didn't make a single point about basketball or coach K.

2) The OP was simply giving the full contents of the quote and its context. If you don't like Media Matters, you always can go see the video on ESPN.

3) Not only did you feel that it was necessary to make YOUR political leanings public, but you also felt that it was necessary to attack those of others.

If you want to talk about things relevant to the Duke program, fine, but take your political diatribes elsewhere please. I don't want to see it here.

FAIL

You are correct. I apologize. Update, I was the first one that I know of to submit this on here and I posted my link from CNN which also didn't have the extension. Just saying......

TillyGalore
03-19-2009, 02:41 PM
This Post ^= Fail

1) that you are even turning this thread into a political matter and didn't say a single word about basketball or coach K.

FAIL

IIRC, -jk reminded us to not attack each other. While you may feel the post failed, you went on to attack the poster. I'm just saying.

And to keep this on topic, everybody is getting their knickers in a twist over all this. Can we all just take a chill pill?

BlueintheFace
03-19-2009, 02:47 PM
IIRC, -jk reminded us to not attack each other. While you may feel the post failed, you went on to attack the poster. I'm just saying.

And to keep this on topic, everybody is getting their knickers in a twist over all this. Can we all just take a chill pill?

Despite the interest, I think that this thread belongs on the off-topic thread. It is too much of a temptation for people to spout off political viewpoints. I'm not a moderator, but I am pretty sure that we don't want that on a basketball board.

jv001
03-19-2009, 02:48 PM
This Post ^= Fail

FAIL

He or she did say they thought Coach K was kidding. So he did say something about Duke Basketball. This thread is about politics and Coach K and his comments. Even if Coach K believes that President Obama should pay attention to national matters, I think he shouldn't have said it. Duke is hated enough by the media and fans alike. Like it or not, the media is a heavy lean to the left and this comment couldn't have set well with them. Coach K and Duke had to get heat from it. Go Duke!

bulldog44
03-19-2009, 02:52 PM
BlueintheFace and I have made up and decided to redirect our attention to the thing that is reaaaaaaaaaaaaly important, and that is supporting our beloved Blue Devils and shouting GO TO H#LL CAROLINA from the roof tops :D

BlueintheFace
03-19-2009, 02:59 PM
BlueintheFace and I have made up and decided to redirect our attention to the thing that is reaaaaaaaaaaaaly important, and that is supporting our beloved Blue Devils and shouting GO TO H#LL CAROLINA from the roof tops :D

Yep!!! Roy should spend a little less time talking to the media and a little more time focusing on redistributing some economic resources at Carolina towards a decent medical staff for his team.

bulldog44
03-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Yep!!! Roy should spend a little less time talking to the media and a little more time focusing on redistributing some economic resources at Carolina towards a decent medical staff for his team.

Or giving out personal pedicures to ensure the little piggies don't get hurt. Maybe that is why Lawson has a hurt toe, bad pedicure!!!! Dom Dom Dommmmm

dyedwab
03-19-2009, 03:26 PM

please bump this to the Off-topic/public policy board if necessary, but Media Matters is not funded by George Soros at all and never has been.

And regardless, they posted the actual unedited clip so people can judge for themselves....

BD80
03-19-2009, 03:38 PM
...Maybe Roy will sub O for Lawson.

You wouldn't be suggesting that O excels at sharing the wealth, would you? :D

Apologies to Bill Rafferty.

What is the purpose/reason for O taking time to bone up on the tournament and conduct an interview with Andy Katz? I'll bet a few congressmen and reporters would have appreciated that block of the President's time. That said, he was extremely impressive in his knowledge of the teams and in his presentation.

DukieInKansas
03-19-2009, 03:40 PM
You wouldn't be suggesting that O excels at sharing the wealth, would you? :D

Apologies to Bill Rafferty.

What is the purpose/reason for O taking time to bone up on the tournament and conduct an interview with Andy Katz? I'll bet a few congressmen and reporters would have appreciated that block of the President's time. That said, he was extremely impressive in his knowledge of the teams and in his presentation.

FYI - he was fulfilling a promise made to Andy Katz during the campaign. Katz interviewed him for a piece on his cousin that coaches a school whose name that escapes me for the moment - somewhere in the NW I think.

tbyers11
03-19-2009, 03:45 PM
FYI - he was fulfilling a promise made to Andy Katz during the campaign. Katz interviewed him for a piece on his cousin that coaches a school whose name that escapes me for the moment - somewhere in the NW I think.

Obama's brother-in-law, Craig Robinson, coaches at Oregon State

DukieInKansas
03-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Obama's brother-in-law, Craig Robinson, coaches at Oregon State

cousin/brother-in-law - close enough. I had the relative and part of the country right. Thanks for the accurate info.

Hancock 4 Duke
03-19-2009, 04:04 PM
K was clearly joking, but why should we be paying attention to that when we can be paying attention to Duke in the Final Four? He probably didn't even mean to say it like that. Let's just please stay focused on March Madness.

-jk
03-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Enough. No more K v. O posts.

-jk