PDA

View Full Version : Goodman calls out Lawson

BD80
03-19-2009, 12:24 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9351056/Lawson-not-showing-courage-by-missing-tourney

"It's not as bad as it was before the Duke game," he added.

OK then, so what's the problem?

The issue is that Lawson didn't come back to school to win a national title. He returned to Chapel Hill because he had no choice. ...

"The toe," Frasor said, laughing. "Everyone's talking about it. I was joking with him that I came back from knee surgery after three games and he's out with a toe injury."

Joking, huh?

My guess is that Frasor was half-serious underneath it all.

... for most guys this would be a nonstory. ...

I hate questioning a player's threshold for pain, but remember, this is the same guy who sat out three weeks and six games last season with an ankle injury which teammates privately questioned whether he was milking.

geraldsneighbor
03-19-2009, 01:08 AM
It really isn't the first time it has been questioned. I had heard last year his parents didn't want him playing on his ankle risking further injury and damaging his pro prospects. Not exactly what I would call a high character type of kid if that is the case. I'm willing to bet Lance's ankle is worse than Lawson's toe. He just doesnt draw attention to himself.

FireOgilvie
03-19-2009, 01:11 AM
I actually have a real problem with this. Goodman has no knowledge of the situation, only what he reads and hears in interviews. The whole point of the article is to call Lawson a coward for not playing through the injury. I hate when national media columnists write negative stories on college athletes. I hate it. It's one thing when someone breaks the law or does something on the court, etc. and it's another to just bash a kid. College athletes go to school and play sports. They're young kids, not professionals. I feel like the national media is getting more and more negative when it comes to college sports. I don't think everything should be a "puff piece," but this crosses the line.

DukeFanInTerpLand
03-19-2009, 01:51 AM
Yeah, it's one thing to make fun of Lawson and Roy on a message board, it's another for a columnist to trash a singular player, especially as harshly as Goodman does here. He basically calls Lawson a faker, or at least wimp (to use DBR friendly words). It's all inuendo and heresay, and some of it is probably gleened from message boards.

He may well be right in his assertions, but without quotes or sources, this is just a terrible article.

Reminds me of that Greg Doyel article, among many, about Griffey recently.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-19-2009, 01:54 AM
I actually have a real problem with this. Goodman has no knowledge of the situation, only what he reads and hears in interviews. The whole point of the article is to call Lawson a coward for not playing through the injury. I hate when national media columnists write negative stories on college athletes. I hate it. It's one thing when someone breaks the law or does something on the court, etc. and it's another to just bash a kid. College athletes go to school and play sports. They're young kids, not professionals. I feel like the national media is getting more and more negative when it comes to college sports. I don't think everything should be a "puff piece," but this crosses the line.

You know I don't comment much on here but this kind of sparked my interest. I have been reading this board because I'm a huge Duke fan obviously. I go to IC to see the things they say about Duke and the players and some of the things are terrible. Same thing with this board even if it is half-joking. These are just kids playing a game, and the level of hatred from fans and media is getting out of hand. perfect example the baby blue shirts which for the most part were grown men and women mind you, behind the Duke bench on Saturday, staying just to boo and yell at a bunch of young kids that they have never met. I have been caught up in this when I lived in NC for the last 6 years and its kind of crazy. Maybe the media, and the fans need to step back and think about it. They are kids just trying to make it just like us and just like everyone else. They make mistakes, have bad judgement and have the weight of millions of fans on thier shoulders. That's pretty brave no matter how you look at it. If anything we should praise college athletes even if they are baby blue. Ok maybe not praise but at least not hate them so much. Thier fans on the other hand are a whole other thing.

Ok off my soap box

minday
03-19-2009, 01:56 AM
Frankly, I am tired of hearing about le 'toe.' Seriously, get over it. Why are all things Carolina when it comes to media coverage? I was watching ESPN the other day and they randomly had the UNC icon spinning around in the background for NO apparent reason whatsoever. This lovefest must end, good or bad.

And please, Roy, just give a straight answer the next time they ask you about this catastrophic injury....please!

DukeFanInTerpLand
03-19-2009, 01:57 AM
You know I don't comment much on here but this kind of sparked my interest. I have been reading this board because I'm a huge Duke fan obviously. I go to IC to see the things they say about Duke and the players and some of the things are terrible. Same thing with this board even if it is half-joking. These are just kids playing a game, and the level of hatred from fans and media is getting out of hand. perfect example the baby blue shirts which for the most part were grown men and women mind you, behind the Duke bench on Saturday, staying just to boo and yell at a bunch of young kids that they have never met. I have been caught up in this when I lived in NC for the last 6 years and its kind of crazy. Maybe the media, and the fans need to step back and think about it. They are kids just trying to make it just like us and just like everyone else. They make mistakes, have bad judgement and have the weight of millions of fans on thier shoulders. That's pretty brave no matter how you look at it. If anything we should praise college athletes even if they are baby blue. Ok maybe not praise but at least not hate them so much. Thier fans on the other hand are a whole other thing.

Ok off my soap box

I tell you what, if I were a D1 basketball player these days, I would try to spend as little time as possible on the internet. It's been a boon to fans, but nothing but trouble for players.

jma4life
03-19-2009, 02:17 AM
Maybe I take it personally having had my fair share of injuries but there is really nothing that bothers me more than when a bunch of people writing from laptops criticize athletes for not playing through pain.

Look, it's one thing when it's a Manny Ramirez situation where there was essentially empirical evidence that he was full of it (played absolutely fine with no pain shortly after and the MRI showed no issues) but to attempt to judge the severity of an injury based on speculation is not only an exercise in futility, but is really falsely attacking character in my opinion.

On another note, I don't believe Lawson is doing this but I would not have a problem if he took extra time to take care of an injury he could possibly play through if it prevented damage that could hurt his ability to provide for his family in future years. Basketball isn't just a game this kid is playing, it's something he will be doing for his livelihood. Sure I'd love the kind of guy that sucks it up for the good of the team but I will not judge someone who takes extra precautions when he believes that worsening an injury in a college game will potentially prevent him from providing for his family. I don't know Lawson's or his families' situation but in the hypothetical case where one is being relied on to provide for the entire family, I'm just not going to judge. Not when that's a burden that I can't really pretend to have experienced. (being an 18 year old and potentially being expected to provide for the whole family, etc)

It's also a different story for professionals who have already earned their millions and who are (based on pretty strong evidence) milking injuries in seasons where they are being paid millions.

And before you guys jump on Lawson, know that many Jazz fans, wrongly in my opinion, have absolutely ripped on Boozer for his injuries.

mgtr
03-19-2009, 04:20 AM
I know nothing about Lawson's injury except what has been reported. However, I would think he would want to play at this time of the year if it would raise his stock. But a lot of his game is running, stopping, cutting, twisting, etc., all of which could be affected by a bad big toe. So, if he cannot play his game effectively, he might be better off (and the team might be better off) if he sits. The call has to be made by the player, the trainer, and the coach, not by the fans, the press, or even us, the "anti-fans".

JStuart
03-19-2009, 07:10 AM
Does anyone think that this whole toe issue is playing out way differently than Roy figured it?
Consider that he may have thought that letting the possibility that Lawson would recover for the NCAA would also take attention away from the rest of the team and let them focus on the Final Four and beyond.
I now think that the whole controversy has been way overblown, and it may come back to bite the Heels later, now making everyone at UNC discuss it ad nauseum. In other words, Roy may have played this card poorly, and it possibly might cause more lack of focus than he anticipated, in trying to spin things to accomplish the opposite. Dou you think? Or maybe I should limit my early morning coffee intake.

ArkieDukie
03-19-2009, 07:57 AM
I read the article and thought, "Uh oh. Bulletin board material for Lawson."

One question, though: if Lawson's toe injury is really as bad as it's being portrayed and results in an early tourney exit, do you think that Roy will regret playing him against Duke? That action appears to have aggravated the injury. Chances are, Roy doesn't give a $@#! about the ACC Tourney. Interesting that he felt strongly enough about beating Duke to sacrifice Lawson for the entire ACC Tourney and the first round (at least) of the NCAA Tourney.

davekay1971
03-19-2009, 08:11 AM

One question, though: if Lawson's toe injury is really as bad as it's being portrayed and results in an early tourney exit, do you think that Roy will regret playing him against Duke? That action appears to have aggravated the injury. Chances are, Roy doesn't give a $@#! about the ACC Tourney. Interesting that he felt strongly enough about beating Duke to sacrifice Lawson for the entire ACC Tourney and the first round (at least) of the NCAA Tourney.

A possible excerpt from Roy's mind on the matter: "If we beat Duke, we lock up a number 1 seed. Then I'll rest tywon for the ACC tournament. Even if, crazy as it may sound, Va Tech has the ball in the quarterfinals, down by one, and Tyler grabs the VT player and actually (and I KNOW this would never happen) gets called for the foul and we lose, we're still the number 1 seed, playing in Greensboro. Frazor is pretty much useless these days, but even with him not able to hit the broad side of a barn, we ought to be able to win two games in Greensboro, dadgummit. I'll keep reminding Tywon that his draft stock's gonna go up if we win the whole dang thing, and that'll motivate him. So rest him for two weeks, he'll probably be okay to play by the sweet 16, and then I'll match that old nose-picker at 2 titles (in one sixth the time) and he can get his dad-gummed feet off my desk once and for all."

CameronBornAndBred
03-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Lawson on his toe injury: 'Playing the Duke game made it 100 times worse'
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/colleges/blogpost/4767538/

Namtilal
03-19-2009, 08:49 AM

This article is either journalism of a very poor quality, or merely a closet UNC booster trying to give his team some motivation. Since I'm not a conspiracy nut, I think the writer is just immature and desperate for attention.

moonpie23
03-19-2009, 09:03 AM
i got really sick of hearing abouot duhon's ribs....

dukestheheat
03-19-2009, 09:35 AM
Ok, seriously, Lawson did indeed look 'slowed' in our last game with them this year. I saw right off the bat that he wasn't fully himself out there. He didn't have the explosion with his first step that he normally has. Everybody who has ever watched him play knows that when he dips his shoulder, he is 'gone' and not too many people can stay with him.

I think his toe is hurt.

This is happening at the worst time possible for Carolina.

If and when his toe injury is exacerbated, during the tourney, Carolina probably (based on what we saw from them in this ACC tourney sans Lawson...) won't be able to survive. He's a great player as we all know.

dth.

jv001
03-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Of a journalist writing something to stir up fans from rival schools. I personally don't like it. These young men and women that play college BB are just that young. They don't get paid to play this game but you have idiot media and fans that insult them right and left. I don't particularily like unc, but I recognize the fact they are someone else's son, brother, sister, daughter and they don't deserve this. If you would not say it to their face, then don't say it. No one knows but lawson just how bad his toe injury is. I'm sure he wants to play. For gosh sacks, it's the NCAA tournament. Go Duke!

SMO
03-19-2009, 10:51 AM

But at least playing allowed them to win a "championship"!:D

elvis14
03-19-2009, 10:53 AM

I love the irony of this whole situation. Lawson plays against Duke (note, we play without Nolan because we are protecting him from further injury) and they beat us and thus get the #1 seed in the ACC tournament. We win that tournament and are ACC Champions. UNC also gets a #1 seed in the NCAAT but without Lawson they don't really have a shot at winning. If playing against Duke really made the toe that much worse that early after the injury, then UNC will have given up the ACCT and now possibly the NCAAT to beat us . Oh and did I mention that the 3 seed won the ACCT? :D

If UNC has rested Lawson against Duke (win or lose), they would have still been a 1 or 2 seed in the ACCT and Lawson might have been able to play an ACCT game and not made it much worse (who knows). No matter what they did in the ACCT they would have been a #1 seed in the NCAAT. They could have lost to Duke and then to VT and they'd still be a #1 seed because according to many they are the best team ever assembled!

Do any of the teams in UNC's bracket have a quick, score first, point guard with decent size? I hope so, I really really hope so.

killerleft
03-19-2009, 10:59 AM
I disagree with the column, but do think it's nice that a tarheel is the one getting the hatin' for a change.

BD80
03-19-2009, 11:19 AM
There are too many inconsistencies in how Lawson is being treated. He was tough enough to play against Duke, so it is unfair to question his toughness for letting the toe heal rather than play against a patsy like Radford. If Radford somehow avoids the first half blow out, Ty can put his shoe on for the second half.

I also think people are underestimating the importance of the Duke/UNC game. This was senior night for Hansbrough, Green, Frasor, Copeland and possibly Ginyard, and likely the last home game and last Duke game for Lawson, Ellington and Thompson. Lawson shouldn't be criticized for taking the risk of playing the Duke game. If it aggravated the injury, that's just the risk of playing basketball.

"toe heal" just sounds funny to me, wonder if it will stick.

tendev
03-19-2009, 12:06 PM

Ok off my soap box

No question about it. Well said AIRFORCEDUKIE. People who boo college kids, write negatively about them in any forum, should think again about whether they would want the same treatment for themselves or their children. Let Lawson decide whether his toe is ok. It is not our business, really.

blueprofessor
03-19-2009, 12:29 PM
No question about it. Well said AIRFORCEDUKIE. People who boo college kids, write negatively about them in any forum, should think again about whether they would want the same treatment for themselves or their children. Let Lawson decide whether his toe is ok. It is not our business, really.

If there is any criticism. it should be directed at Roy. There is no requirement in the grant-in-aid contract that requires an injured player to get shot up to play. I respect Lawson for what he did,even if it now looks that they had no idea how much worse the toe injury would become.

Best--Blueprof:)

SharkD
03-19-2009, 01:33 PM
"toe heal" just sounds funny to me, wonder if it will stick.

The race car driver in me keeps reading that as "heel toe".