PDA

View Full Version : Making the NIT watchable

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2009, 06:41 AM
As Duke fans, we have been fortunate to not have any compelling reason to watch the NIT in a very long time. However, neither has anyone else. It is seen nationally as a consolation tournament of also-rans. The field is made up of teams that ended up on the wrong side of the bubble and goes downhill from there. The team that wins get the distinction of being crowned the 65/66th best team in America - hooray.

What if the winner was given an automatic bid -- into next year's NCAA? Would this make the NIT more watchable and compelling? Would you be likely to watch disgraced powerhouse Kentucky play against Rhode Island in the final if it were RI's best chance at the 2010 Big Dance?

Thoughts?

Mr Blue Devil
03-18-2009, 07:03 AM
As Duke fans, we have been fortunate to not have any compelling reason to watch the NIT in a very long time. However, neither has anyone else. It is seen nationally as a consolation tournament of also-rans. The field is made up of teams that ended up on the wrong side of the bubble and goes downhill from there. The team that wins get the distinction of being crowned the 65/66th best team in America - hooray.

What if the winner was given an automatic bid -- into next year's NCAA? Would this make the NIT more watchable and compelling? Would you be likely to watch disgraced powerhouse Kentucky play against Rhode Island in the final if it were RI's best chance at the 2010 Big Dance?

Thoughts?

I don't think anything will make the NIT watchable unless your team is in it or you just love watching basketball. I tune in to watch teams that didn't make it like UK hopefully get humiliated even more or to watch a team who was never going to make the big dance hopefully make a run. An NIT championship to a team who didn't have a true shot at the field of 65 is still a pretty big accomplishment IMO.

I don't like the automatic bid idea. Say a team wins the NIT and graduates all 5 starters and wins 5 games only the following season. To me the automatic tourney champs bids are already bad enough.

weezie
03-18-2009, 09:28 AM
Heck, I'd rather go to the Portsmouth Invitational and watch guys trying to get an NBA invite than the NIT.

ice-9
03-18-2009, 01:57 PM

Thoughts?

LOVE this idea. It will definitely make the NIT interesting. Even if the champ loses most of its players the following year, that champ isn't likely weaker than any 16 seed that gets in via auto bid.

The only danger is if it creates any sort of weird behavior. For example, the NIT champ knows they're in the NCAA tourney and so don't bother to play hard during the season.

hurleyfor3
03-18-2009, 02:01 PM
While we're at it, we should award the NCAA champion an automatic berth in next year's Nit. Would cut back on those pesky repeat national championships.

As any Nit participant will doubtlessly tell you, playing in the Nit is its own reward. Anyway, to make it more interesting, I'd change the rules. But don't tell anyone when the changes will be beforehand. You'd watch a game with 12-foot baskets or 10-second shot clocks, wouldn't you? And no one would really care about the outcome.

Mr Blue Devil
03-18-2009, 02:22 PM
While we're at it, we should award the NCAA champion an automatic berth in next year's Nit. Would cut back on those pesky repeat national championships.

As any Nit participant will doubtlessly tell you, playing in the Nit is its own reward. Anyway, to make it more interesting, I'd change the rules. But don't tell anyone when the changes will be beforehand. You'd watch a game with 12-foot baskets or 10-second shot clocks, wouldn't you? And no one would really care about the outcome.

Like the MTV Sports Games? There could be a 20 pt shot circle from half court!

I like this idea!!!!

rsvman
03-18-2009, 02:50 PM
I don't think the NIT is all that bad. I get really anxious between selection Sunday and the start of the NCAA tournament, so I watch some NIT in the meantime. To be honest, I'd rather watch the NIT than the NCAA play-in game ANYDAY. The play-in game is a disaster. Just a stupid idea.

Last night I saw some of the Davidson game and it was pretty good. I also caught some of St. Mary's game, so I got to see Patrick Mills a little, which was well worth the effort.

Next round of the NIT has a game that all college basketball fans should want to see: Davidson against St. Mary's. Steph Curry versus Steph Curry Jr.

CLT Devil
03-18-2009, 03:11 PM
Davidson v. St, Mary's should be a great showdown. I'd pay to watch Stephon Curry play in a Y league game...most exciting player out there...other than G.

Jim3k
03-18-2009, 06:39 PM
Next round of the NIT has a game that all college basketball fans should want to see: Davidson against St. Mary's. Steph Curry versus Steph Curry Jr.

Agreed, but having seen Patty Mills play in person before his injury, and on TV last night, I'd say it is more like Patty Mills v. Patty Mills, Jr. ;)

Pound for pound, and inch for inch, these guys are the most exciting players in college basketball. Last night, against Wazoo, Mills had an acrobatic scoop shot that was as good as any I have ever seen. He went off for 27 points (http://www.contracostatimes.com/sports/ci_11938014).

The interesting thing about Mills is, however, that he plays within his team's offense. I don't think the same can be said of Curry, who has a tendency to hunt for his shot. Mills is also, IMO, a better defender.

Both stars have better than average supporting casts as well. Most of you know who supports Curry, so I won't go over that. SMC's Diamon Simpson broke Tom Meschery's long-held school rebound record earlier this year. And they have a legitimately powerful center in 6-11, 250 pound center Omar Samhan.

Anyway, you can see for yourself when Saint Mary's and Davidson square off in tiny McKeon Pavilion in Moraga on Monday at 8:30 pm PDT. ESPN2

MarkD83
03-18-2009, 06:47 PM
How about the NIT only invites non-BCS schools and then the winner gets the automatic NCAA bid. The NIT winner would have to play in the "play-in" game unless they prove that they are more deserving.

throatybeard
03-18-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm not a big college BB fan, honestly, but anyone who thinks the NIT is "unwatchable" obviously hasn't seen the Virginia Tech-Duquesne game. NIT games are way more "watchable" than RS games.

ETA: Aaron Jackson just fouled out in 2OT for the Dukes with 46 points, and just went to hug Seth Greenberg. The whole VT crowd applauded.

Neals384
03-18-2009, 11:07 PM
Watching Baylor come from 10 down to top Georgetown was pretty satisfying! Especially when G Monroe had turnovers on three consecutive possesions with a fwew minutes left. Now he will have plenty of time to watch Duke in the NCAAs.

tysi1521
03-19-2009, 12:19 AM
The Penn State/George Mason game last night was a hell of a game. Talor Battle hit a 3 pointer to tie it up and send it to O.T. Then he went on to score the first 9 points of the overtime period. I like the N.I.T. Tourney personally, everybody fighting to be the best crappy team in the country.