PDA

View Full Version : Paulus Article

chi
03-18-2009, 03:21 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/18/sports/ncaabasketball/18duke.html?ref=ncaabasketball

jma4life
03-18-2009, 03:52 AM
I don't think you can understate how difficult a situation Paulus is in, at least relative to sports related, big picture trivial, issues. He's handled it with absolute class and in that way, has truly contributed greatly to this team, beyond his play on the court. And I really mean that because numerous players would become cancers under those circumstances. Paulus definitely would like more pt but if anything, he seems to be going out of his way to be a leader of the club. He is a guy who really does want what's best for the team, more than you can say for too many players out there.

By the way, I was pretty displeased at the time when K inserted Paulus back into the starting lineup. I think he got too caught up in the moment. I was pretty confident Nolan would win back the starting spot (obviously I was wrong on that but I was correct that Paulus would lose the starting spot) only further hurting Paulus' psyche or at the very least, putting him through more of a roller coaster than he deserved. K's still the best but he made a mistake with that one in my opinion. Would've been better to have given Paulus more pt as a non starter or something if that's what he wanted. Obviously K has been in a tough situation. He loves Paulus, is an extremely loyal guy and has had to make a really tough move in benching his senior leader, which I credit him for doing but I think he let emotions get in the way midseason.

mgtr
03-18-2009, 04:24 AM
Paulus, who is great, has to continually ask himself if he woudl have been better off as a quarterback at ND. I don't see him making himself into a pro quarterback any more than a pro point guard. He could very likely make a decent living as a point guard for a Euro team. That would be 10 years of decent money, and then find a job selling jock straps (or equivalent) in the US.

UrinalCake
03-18-2009, 06:19 AM
I believe that he will make many small contributions during this year's tournament and will have at least one big play that gives us a win. He has more experience than anyone in tournament play, which can't be underestimated, and Coach K has the utmost trust in him.

SupaDave
03-18-2009, 07:24 AM
I believe that he will make many small contributions during this year's tournament and will have at least one big play that gives us a win. He has more experience than anyone in tournament play, which can't be underestimated, and Coach K has the utmost trust in him.

None of his contributions are small. They will be with the team for years to come - just like others before him.

Want press? A "bench" player for Duke just got an article in the New York Times...

miramar
03-18-2009, 09:35 AM
I am delighted that Greg would get this very nice article in the NYT. He certainly deserves the attention, and I sure hope he ends up with a successful career in Europe.

On the other hand, GM Chairman Rick Wagoner got an article in today's Washington Post, and Duke basketball was mentioned:

"Sitting across the breakfast table from General Motors Chairman Rick Wagoner yesterday morning at the St. Regis gave the sensation of meeting the last emperor...

When the dynasty thrived, he was a model of 20th-century corporate power and prestige -- Duke basketball! Harvard Business School! Finance wiz! -- but yesterday all he could speak of was misery and misfortune in the realm."

All in all, I liked the Paulus article a lot better. At any rate, here's the link:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/17/AR2009031702875.html?hpid%3Dopinionsbox1&sub=AR

weezie
03-18-2009, 09:37 AM
Anytime GP steps on the court, in whatever role, there's always a chance for one of those galvanizing threes. He's giving EWill another layer of confidence and support that will be critical as E enters his first NCAA tourney. I enjoyed reading how GP sits right next to the coaches, obviously, he's hearing things that he can break down for the rest of the team.
Good press, indeed!

SupaDave
03-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Anytime GP steps on the court, in whatever role, there's always a chance for one of those galvanizing threes. He's giving EWill another layer of confidence and support that will be critical as E enters his first NCAA tourney. I enjoyed reading how GP sits right next to the coaches, obviously, he's hearing things that he can break down for the rest of the team.
Good press, indeed!

He also wants to be a coach. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Paulus on that bench in a few years.

davekay1971
03-18-2009, 10:21 AM
He also wants to be a coach. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Paulus on that bench in a few years.

LOL...Paulus, Wojo, and Collins on the Duke bench next to Coach K...a Duke-hater axis of evil if there ever was one. If only we can get JJ and Christian to join them : )

gumbomoop
03-18-2009, 11:17 AM
As there's a sort of one-day lull in our schedule, i.e., just waiting for late (!!) Thurs night, may I bring up an old question re GP, just to get a simple piece of info from others?

I quit paying any attention to American football (as opposed to world futbol) long ago. Hence my ignorance re the physical requirements to play qb in NFL these days. I take it there are no more Tarkenton's or Flutie's? So, to be drafted or play, does one have to be, minimally, 6'3" and 220lbs? To play qb?!?!

allenmurray
03-18-2009, 11:35 AM
I'm usually not a fan of symbolism minutes during any game. However, I was a bit surprised and disaponted that K did not call a time-out in the ACC Championship game against FSU once the outcome had been decided (maybe 30 seconds left). I would have liked to have seen GP, Marty, and McClure all on the floor at the end of the game. OTOH, they might not have cared one way or the other - they are such competitors taht being in for "junk" seconds at the end of a game might not have had meaning to them. I just would have liked to have seen those seniors all on the court together at the end.

CameronBornAndBred
03-18-2009, 11:57 AM
He was nothing but smiles and congratulations for everyone around him. I thought it was nice the article picked up on that, too. He knows he's a part of this team and will contribute in whatever way he can. Watching his actions on the court after the game and during the trophy presentation, he showed to me that he is nothing but a team player.

ACCBBallFan
03-18-2009, 12:07 PM
Not many teams have guys the caliber of Paulus, McClure and Pocius for their starters to practice against every day. Though they don't log many/any minutes in actuals games, their counterparts perform better thanks to their efforts on the practice floor.

dukepsy1963
03-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Paulus is a class act!!! I think he would be a great coach!

The Gordog
03-18-2009, 12:31 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/18/sports/ncaabasketball/18duke.html?ref=ncaabasketball

I was excited when Paulus commited to Duke.

I will be very sad when he is done.

In between I have loved his play, his toughness, his teamwork. I forget what game it was earlier this year when he took a hard foul and I said to the TV, "They should not be getting Paulus mad!" Sure enough, he ripped off a bunch of 3 pointers after that.

Stray Gator
03-18-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm usually not a fan of symbolism minutes during any game. However, I was a bit surprised and disaponted that K did not call a time-out in the ACC Championship game against FSU once the outcome had been decided (maybe 30 seconds left). I would have liked to have seen GP, Marty, and McClure all on the floor at the end of the game. OTOH, they might not have cared one way or the other - they are such competitors taht being in for "junk" seconds at the end of a game might not have had meaning to them. I just would have liked to have seen those seniors all on the court together at the end.

Just my recollection, but I believe we had already used all of our timeouts before the last minute.

DukieInKansas
03-18-2009, 01:25 PM
He was nothing but smiles and congratulations for everyone around him. I thought it was nice the article picked up on that, too. He knows he's a part of this team and will contribute in whatever way he can. Watching his actions on the court after the game and during the trophy presentation, he showed to me that he is nothing but a team player.

That was my favorite part of the video showing the team celebrating. Greg's smile and enthusiasm lit up the screen. What a guy!

BD80
03-18-2009, 03:26 PM
... I was correct that Paulus would lose the starting spot... K's still the best but he made a mistake with that one in my opinion. ... I think he let emotions get in the way midseason.

I, for one, am not fond of posters that make negative predictions about the team and then come back to say I told you so. Who do you have Duke losing to in the tourney?

I also tend to disvalue opinions on personnel moves from people who are not involved in practices. Questioning Coach K's judgment without all of the facts? Priceless.

I think Greg is a tremendously valuable player, ready to come off the bench and play as many minutes as available. He will be ready to contribute 3 point shooting when needed and ball handling and free throw shooting at the end of games.

LOL...Paulus, Wojo, and Collins on the Duke bench next to Coach K...

We couldn't have those three as coaches at the same time. We couldn't get them all to the bench before the half is over! :D Paulus would be a great next coach when Wojo or Collins get a head coaching position. Maybe after a year or two in Europe.

-jk
03-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Let's not get personal here.

thanks,

-jk

BD80
03-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Let's not get personal here.

Toward Paulus, Coach K or other posters?

My apologies if my post was too personal, I actually toned it down several notches.

-jk
03-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Anyone, as appropriate, but rather vague of me. Sorry.

We do like to keep people focused on the post, not the poster, though. It helps to keep everyone more even-tempered.

thanks,

-jk

chi
03-18-2009, 06:53 PM
The NCAA Tournament's Best Students: Duke's Greg Paulus (http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/2009/03/18/the-ncaa-tournaments-best-students-dukes-greg-paulus.html)

ArkieDukie
03-18-2009, 07:03 PM

That's exactly what I thought after reading this article. He seems to possess all the traits that Coach K wants his assistants to have. Personally, I would love to see Paulus as an assistant.

tele
03-18-2009, 07:20 PM
As Coach K said after Duke won the ACC Championship, the team members are both winners and Champions, Paulus is both.

Newton_14
03-18-2009, 09:47 PM
I went back and took a look at his recruiting profile to remind myself one last time that Paulus was the Number 1 rated PG in his class. While others may criticize, he definitely ended up being Number 1 in heart, passion, guts, and team leadership. His first 3 years the team won 32, 22, and 28 games, and it is 28 and counting this year. We know he leaves with 2 ACC Championships and 1 ACC Regular Season Championship, and here's hoping he adds a little more hardware and net clippings to the resume! There are many, many former players across the country that would kill for that type of success!

Greg Paulus Rivals Recruiting Profile:http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=12332&sport=2

26 ppg, 8.5 apg, 6 rpg as HS Senior

NSDukeFan
03-19-2009, 09:36 AM
The NCAA Tournament's Best Students: Duke's Greg Paulus (http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/2009/03/18/the-ncaa-tournaments-best-students-dukes-greg-paulus.html)

This is another great article showing what a class act Greg is. I would love to see him make some big plays for us in a deep tournament run.