PDA

View Full Version : Go Duke Wrestling!

DevilAlumna
03-18-2009, 12:09 AM
Three Duke wrestlers made it to the NCAA's, and will compete in St. Louis this weekend. It's the first time since 2004 that we've sent anyone - wow!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3694484

Good luck, guys!

SeattleIrish
03-18-2009, 02:09 AM
Thanks for posting that, DA. I'll be pulling for all three.

s.i.

DukieInKansas
03-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Good luck in St. Louis, Konrad Dudziak, John Barone and Dan Tulley.

DukeFencer
03-18-2009, 12:18 PM
The Duke fencers will also be taking on NCAAs this weekend with 5 qualifiers, 4 men and 1 woman, Olympian Becca Ward. Men fence Thursday & Friday, Women Saturday & Sunday. Big weekend for Duke Athletics!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3695482

DukieInKansas
03-18-2009, 01:22 PM
The Duke fencers will also be taking on NCAAs this weekend with 5 qualifiers, 4 men and 1 woman, Olympian Becca Ward. Men fence Thursday & Friday, Women Saturday & Sunday. Big weekend for Duke Athletics!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3695482

Good luck in State College, PA, Becca Ward, Dorian Cohen, Dan Cohen, Peter Truszkowski, and Jonathan Parker.

Abraxas
03-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Last year, I brought up the news of the two Freshmen coming in ... Becca and Jonathan. I am very glad that both of them made it to the NCAA. We were very close to send a third Freshman to the NCAA, as he was an alternate in Men's Epee for the region.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5244

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10575

Becca is the favorite on her event. The 4 men's fencing team members have uphill battles but Top 12 placements (All-Americans) are likely for three out of the four fencers. Despite having only 5 fencers (out of the maximum of 12 spots), Duke might end up somewhere between 8th and 12th (out of 25). That is because of the quality of the fencers that qualified.

"Here's a breakdown of NCAA entrants per team (max. two per weapon):
12 – Notre Dame, Ohio State and Penn State
11 - Columbia
10 - St. John's
9 - Harvard and Penn
8 - Princeton and Stanford
7 - NYU and Yale
5 - UC San Diego, Duke, Northwestern and Temple
4 - Cornell
3 - Air Force, Brandeis and Wayne State
2 - Brown
1 - Boston College, Fairleigh Dickinson, MIT, North Carolina and Vassar

Note: Northwestern, Temple, Cornell and FDU sponsor only women's fencing on varsity level"

Source: http://www.collegefencing360.com/cf360_blog/

We certainly will get more wins and a better finish in the NCAA poll than UNC. Carolina probably will place 18th-22nd.

Perhaps, this thread should be split or rename into Go Duke Wrestling and Fencing! or one for each sport

DukeFencer
03-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Let's add to that swimmer Ashley Twichell and diver Abby Johnston at swimming & diving NCAAs this weekend at Texas A&M!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3695499

DukieInKansas
03-19-2009, 09:54 AM
What a busy championship weekend. Good luck to Ashley Twichell and Abby Johnston.

Abraxas
03-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Senior Saber fencer Peter Truszkowski started very sluggish during the first round beating Jakub Gibczynski, from Wayne State, by score of 5-1. Peter lost to his 2 bouts against Penn State (Bak and Ochocki) and Notre Dame (Zuck and Nydam) fencers. He is currently placed at # 21 out 24 fencers (R1). PSU and ND are heavy favorites, and he has several easier rounds ahead of him.

Abraxas
03-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Senior Saber fencer Peter Truszkowski defeated Jon Ott, from UCSD, by a score of 5-2, but lost to Stanford fencers Max Murphy and Lucas Janson, 2-5 and 4-5, respectively.

Peter is now placed at #17/24 with 2 victories and a -9 indicator.

Bluedog
03-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Senior Saber fencer Peter Truszkowski defeated Jon Ott, from UCSD, by a score of 5-2, but lost to Stanford fencers Max Murphy and Lucas Janson, 2-5 and 4-5, respectively.

Peter is now placed at #17/24 with 2 victories and a -9 indicator.

Are just the early rounds up to 5? Then it goes up to 15 later? I feel like up to 5 in saber is a crapshoot since a bout probably lasts 2 minutes.

Mike Corey
03-19-2009, 11:34 AM
Good luck to all the Blue Devils this weekend...and keep us updated on the fencers, Abraxas!

Abraxas
03-19-2009, 11:35 AM
"Here's a breakdown of NCAA entrants per team (max. two per weapon):
12 – Notre Dame, Ohio State and Penn State
11 - Columbia
10 - St. John's
9 - Harvard and Penn
8 - Princeton and Stanford
7 - Yale
5 - NYU*, UC San Diego, Duke, Northwestern and Temple
4 - Cornell
3 - Air Force, Brandeis and Wayne State
2 - Brown
1 - Boston College, Fairleigh Dickinson, MIT, North Carolina and Vassar

Note: Northwestern, Temple, Cornell and FDU sponsor only women's fencing on varsity level"

* Correction - see below

Source: http://www.collegefencing360.com/cf360_blog/

We certainly will get more wins and a better finish in the NCAA poll than UNC. Carolina probably will place 18th-22nd.

NYU men's saber fencer Hugo Rodrigues "withdrew due to injury and was replaced in the field by UNC's Kevin Zeichmann, the top men's sabre alternate/injury replacement from the Mid-Atlantic/South Region".

That gives 2 fencers to UNC increasing the chance for a better spot (16th - 20th) in the final ranking. Currently, Carolina is ahead of Duke in the standings because UNC has 2 Men's Saber fencers as compare to only 1 for Duke.

Abraxas
03-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Here is the link for live NCAA Fencing results:

http://www.prisedefer.com/NCAA.htm

Abraxas
03-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Duke Men's Foil fencers Dan and Dorian Cohen started the round-robin with 3 victories each (of 5 possible); they already faced each other Daniel prevailing 5-4.
Currently, Dan is #7 and Dorian is #10

Abraxas
03-19-2009, 11:44 AM
Duke Men's Epee fencer Jonathan Parker defeated favorite Graham Wicas from Princeton 5-3. Unfortunately, Jonathan lost of J. Moody and M. Dettlinger from Penn State; he also lost to All-American B. Wieder (Penn) and to Wicas' teamate Elfassy.

Abraxas
03-19-2009, 11:50 AM
Peter Truszkowski won 2 out of 3 bouts in the round 3 of Men's Saber.

Abraxas
03-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Are just the early rounds up to 5? Then it goes up to 15 later? I feel like up to 5 in saber is a crapshoot since a bout probably lasts 2 minutes.

The format is a round-robin of bouts to 5 touches (First to 5). The first round includes the first 5 bouts, and subsequent rounds (today and tomorrow) consist of 3 bouts. After final seedings, the top 4 fencers have direct elimination bouts to 15 touches for semifinals, finals and bronze medal bouts.

2 minutes is too long for saber. Most saber pool bouts last less than 30 seconds of bouting time.

Bluedog
03-19-2009, 11:56 AM
The format is a round-robin of bouts to 5 touches (First to 5). The first round includes the first 5 bouts, and subsequent rounds (today and tomorrow) consist of 3 bouts. After final seedings, the top 4 fencers have direct elimination bouts to 15 touches for semifinals, finals and bronze medal bouts.

2 minutes is too long for saber. Most saber pool bouts last less than 30 seconds of bouting time.

Ah gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, I meant 2 total minutes including stoppage time. ;)

Abraxas
03-19-2009, 12:34 PM
Freshman Dan Cohen is fencing very well. After 2 rounds, he has 6 victories and his only 2 defeats were by score of 4-5. He is currently # 6 (out of 24 fencers) in the standings, while Dorian Cohen is #12 with 4 victories.

Abraxas
03-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Freshman Jonathan Parker defeated Jason Pryor (OSU) by score of 5-4, and currently has 2 victories. He is currently #23 in the standings.

roywhite
03-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Hwt. Konrad Dudziak won 2 matches at the NCAA Wrestling championships to advance to the quarterfinals. He won 4-1 in his first bout and 3-1 in his second bout.

Dan Tulley lost his 1st match at 197# and John Barone also lost his first match, at 184#, having the misfortune to go up against defending national champ Jake Herbert.

roywhite
03-19-2009, 11:02 PM
Dan Tulley and John Barone lost their wrestle-back matches and have been eliminated.

Konrad Dudziak will wrestle in the championship quarter-finals Friday morning.

roywhite
03-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Konrad Dudziak defeated Jake Rosholt of Ok. State 4-2 in O/T to advance to the national semifinals at 285 pounds.

Far as I know, this is uncharted territory for a Duke wrestler.

Rosholt was ranked #3 in the country coming in; Dudziak was ranked #5.

Semifinals are held tonight and I believe are on ESPN2.

roywhite
03-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Konrad Dudziak continued his winning ways in the NCAA Wrestling Championships with a 3-2 semifinal win over #1 seed Zabriskie of Iowa State.

Finals are Saturday evening on ESPN.

Dudziak has already gone farther than any wrestler in Duke history, and now has a chance to be Duke's first national champion. Awesome.

DukieInKansas
03-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Congratations, Konrad. Good Luck tomorrow. LGD.

DevilAlumna
03-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Konrad Dudziak continued his winning ways in the NCAA Wrestling Championships with a 3-2 semifinal win over #1 seed Zabriskie of Iowa State.

Finals are Saturday evening on ESPN.

Dudziak has already gone farther than any wrestler in Duke history, and now has a chance to be Duke's first national champion. Awesome.

Wow, go Konrad!! Making it this far is VERY impressive, and a championship would be pure icing!

RainingThrees
03-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Just read about this. Give em hell Konrad!!!

throatybeard
03-21-2009, 06:52 PM
The Wrestling championships are a fantastic event in my book because the entire state of Iowa drives down here and spends all their disposable income in our downtown for several days.

I was at a bar near the arena yesterday, wearing a WVU hat and a Duke hoodie. Multiple people brought up Dudziak to me, all in a positive fashion. Some guy patted me on the back on my way out of the restroom. I can't remember the last time opposing fans were nice to me when I was wearing Duke gear.

Go Dudziak.

orrnot
03-21-2009, 11:17 PM
I watched Konrad lose a nail-biter in the 3rd overtime, 3-2. I know little about wrestling, but I'm a fan of Clar Anderson and his program. Missed some of the 2nd half of the basketball game watching the match wrap up. Congratulations to the NCAA Heavyweight Runner-Up.

DukieInKansas
03-21-2009, 11:20 PM
I know nothing about wrestling but kept switching to ESPN from the game to be sure I didn't miss Konrad's match. Didn't like the outcome but was very impressed by his effort - plus he beat the #1 seed to get to the final. Way to go, Konrad!

roywhite
03-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Congratulations to Konrad Dudziak for a great season and a great NCAA Tournament. I watched his semifinal and finals matches...two close, hard-fought bouts against the #1 and #2 seeded wrestlers. Konrad came so close to winning the national championship!

Maybe next year.