PDA

View Full Version : Some football notes

jimsumner
03-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Spring Practice begins tomorrow.

Some notes from Cutcliffe's press conference today.

POSITION SWITCHES
Asack is now a safety
Jeremy Ringfield is now a DE; now weighs 220
Brandon Harper from DL to OG
Kyle Hill from OG to LT
Curtis Hazleton-from DE to NG

True freshmen Zach Greene (DB), Kevin Rojas (LB), Ryan Hall (TE) and Sydney Sarmiento (DT) are enrolled early and will participate in spring practice.

Boyette and King will practice but it's not clear at what level.

Lederman (shoulder) and Needham (knee) will practice but will be limited.

Marcus Lind no longer playing football
Mike Capetto no longer playing football; head injuries; student coach;

Duke had pro day yesterday. Riley ran 4.36 and has 40' vertical; Goldberg did 37 reps at 225 lbs.

Randez James still suspended.

Cut very high on Patrick Kurunwune; thinks he can replace Tielor Robinson as the all-purpose, between tackles runner;

Recruiting for next season going well; lots of enthusiasm.

Emphasis this spring on fundamentals, competition, and building depth; all drills will have a winner and a loser; conditioning well above last year.

Asack has ankle sprain, several players have hamstring strains.

Spring game 4-18; format TBD

CameronBornAndBred
03-17-2009, 10:41 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Zack in his new position, too bad about the sprain. Really looking forward to having Boyette back, this season should be a lot of fun.
Also interesting to read about Capetto. The coaching makes sense, he was obviously very active on the sidelines last season, best of luck to him.

wolfpackdevil
03-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Do you have any idea on the suspension of Randez James?

He was one of our biggest recruits last year, and I never heard anything about him until he was suspended.

Very excited about the upcoming year, and bruncgate:)

With home vs. Richmond, NCCU, UMD and WF

and games at NCSU, UNC, ARMY, KU, and UVA

It should be a great year!!!

-bdbd
03-18-2009, 01:24 AM
Am really looking forward to football in 2009. Am eager to see us continue to improve. With the two D2 games, we'll need to win 7 probably in order to go bowling. It is possible, but tough. Mostly I want to see us compete regularly. Coming from DC, I hope to make at least one home game, and may well go up to West Point for that one.

How good will Kansas be?

Prognosticators will have us lined up for 4 wins, maybe 5 at most.

Keep the momentum rolling boys!! (Very eager to see the recruiting results for this coming year.)

-BDBD :cool:

hughgs
03-18-2009, 07:07 AM
Am really looking forward to football in 2009. Am eager to see us continue to improve. With the two D2 games, we'll need to win 7 probably in order to go bowling. It is possible, but tough. Mostly I want to see us compete regularly. Coming from DC, I hope to make at least one home game, and may well go up to West Point for that one.

How good will Kansas be?

Prognosticators will have us lined up for 4 wins, maybe 5 at most.

Keep the momentum rolling boys!! (Very eager to see the recruiting results for this coming year.)

-BDBD :cool:

I don't see any D2 games on our schedule. Can you point them out to me?

CameronBornAndBred
03-18-2009, 08:12 AM
We play Richmond and NCCU.

-jk
03-18-2009, 08:21 AM

I think he meant what used to be Div I AA.

-jk

BoC
03-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Riley has a 40' vertical? Awesome!

Anybody want to buy a Stonehenge monument?

dgoore97
03-18-2009, 09:11 AM
i got to scout and rivals and recruitingplanet, but there are so many names, it's hard to figure who the good players are and where we have an inside track.

meanwhile, i am very excited for this year, with boyette healthy and thad lewis having a year of tutelage with coach cut under his belt. can't wait to see Duke football be good again!

killerleft
03-18-2009, 09:14 AM
Riley has a 40' vertical? Awesome!

Anybody want to buy a Stonehenge monument?

I've seen him jump over the goal post crossbar, but 40' is ridiculous!:)

Seriously, how cool is it that we can actually be discussing football with interest and hope as March Madness begins? Thanks, Jim!

And thanks to Coach Cutcliffe and the whole football gang!

Go Duke!

OldPhiKap
03-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the update. Hard to focus on pigskin right now, but I'm extremely jacked about Cut and the effort/results last year. We are certainly on the right path.

Mike Corey
03-18-2009, 11:36 AM
Some more pro day notes:

Riley also ran a 4.27 40, and did so on a wet turf field. He threw up 225 pounds 19 times.

Goldberg ran the 40 in 4.88 and 4.89.

Mike T. ran a 4.75 40 and did 20 reps at 225.

There were about 15 scouts present, including the Giants O-Line coach, who came to run drills with Goldberg and Fred Roland.

CLT Devil
03-18-2009, 11:55 AM
They wore green jerseys yesterday, which I thought was pretty neat, and definately different for Duke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqs-GR8OqrA

Also.....the best part of the whole vid is you can hear saws and construction going on in the background....NICE! Never been so excited about a bathroom.

jimsumner
03-18-2009, 11:56 AM
"He threw up 225 pounds 19 times. "

That's a serious stomach virus. I hope he's feeling better. :)

devildeac
03-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Some more pro day notes:

Riley also ran a 4.27 40, and did so on a wet turf field. He threw up 225 pounds 19 times.

Goldberg ran the 40 in 4.88 and 4.89.

Mike T. ran a 4.75 40 and did 20 reps at 225.

There were about 15 scouts present, including the Giants O-Line coach, who came to run drills with Goldberg and Fred Roland.

Oooh, bad choice of words, Mike:eek::rolleyes:;).

OldPhiKap
03-18-2009, 01:20 PM

Don't ask how he did in the squat, please.

Mike Corey
03-18-2009, 01:32 PM

Eron's fine. It's just that the Sharks' scout, Willie Beamen, challenged Eron to drink a gallon of milk in an hour.

SharkD
03-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Any info on how to get tickets for the spring game?

Hancock 4 Duke
03-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Eron's fine. It's just that the Sharks' scout, Willie Beamen, challenged Eron to drink a gallon of milk in an hour.

He isnt even on the team on the team anymore. He graduated. I predicted Asack would move to safety. We need his height and speed on defense.

hughgs
03-19-2009, 04:58 PM
We play Richmond and NCCU.

As pointed out previously, those are I-AA schools. There's a huge difference.

CameronBornAndBred
03-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Grrrr...both Vince Oghobaase and Kenny Anunike were injured Wednesday and will miss the rest of the spring practices. Hopefully both will be healthy for summer practice and the season. Anunike will require surgery.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/story/4775241/

dgoore97
03-23-2009, 07:45 PM
'10 VA ATH Aramide Olaniyan

http://www.recruitingplanet.com/forum/duke-blue-devils/25265-10-va-ath-aramide-olaniyan-duke-verbal.html

Cut is going to make this happen!

CLT Devil
03-23-2009, 08:29 PM
Duke landed a major target over the weekend in Aramide Olaniyan, a linebacker from Woodberry Forest School, class of 2010. He was also recruited by Auburn, Michigan, Tennessee, West Virginia, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh and Boston College. Nice work Cut!

Still takes some getting used to signing players like him that are persued by other MAJOR programs.....I like it.

CameronBornAndBred
03-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Aramide Olaniyan, an outside linebacker from Virginia, has committed to Duke. Congrats to Cutcliffe on continuing to pull in top tier recruits.
http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&c=8&yr=2010

If you look here, http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&c=4&yr=2010,
you will see the number of high star recruits that Duke has offered. Way more than I recall seeing in a long time.

RepoMan
03-26-2009, 09:31 AM
Outstanding work by Cut and team! The competition for this recruit was solid, and he appears to have been holding offers from schools ranging from Auburn to Stanford.

PDDuke85
03-26-2009, 12:07 PM
My public congrats to Coach Cutcliffe and his staff as well. I reviewed the impressive list of quality recruits who have been offered scholarship with interest. Coach Cutcliffe isn't afraid to recruit against the "big boys" and obviously brings a great product to sell. I pray we never return to the days of getting the kids who's only other offers were from the former Div I AA schools.

OldPhiKap
03-26-2009, 12:51 PM
My public congrats to Coach Cutcliffe and his staff as well. I reviewed the impressive list of quality recruits who have been offered scholarship with interest. Coach Cutcliffe isn't afraid to recruit against the "big boys" and obviously brings a great product to sell. I pray we never return to the days of getting the kids who's only other offers were from the former Div I AA schools.

Ditto. And, more importantly, I pray we never return to the days of getting beat by the former Div I AA schools.

watzone
03-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Aramide Olaniyan, an outside linebacker from Virginia, has committed to Duke. Congrats to Cutcliffe on continuing to pull in top tier recruits.

If you look here, http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=9&c=4&yr=2010,
you will see the number of high star recruits that Duke has offered. Way more than I recall seeing in a long time.

Here was our link on the young man -
http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1989

Duke recruiting is picking up big time and the staff is working their butts off. Once the hoops season eneds, which I hope is late April, I will mix combines and camps in with AAU ball. Folks, we have a real football staff.

dgoore97
04-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Anyone see anything new on how we look?

the last thing i've seen sounds positive:

http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=851511

jimsumner
04-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Starting times for early games announced.

" Duke's first two home games of the 2009 football schedule against Richmond and N.C. Central will begin at 7 p.m. at Wallace Wade Stadium, head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Wednesday.

The Blue Devils will face Richmond in the season-opener on September 5 and, following road trips to play Army and Kansas, host N.C. Central for Homecoming on September 26.

"We had terrific responses to our night games a year ago," Cutcliffe said. "The support from our alumni, fans and students has been great and we are very appreciative, but it can grow to another level. It is our goal to have the best college football atmosphere possible in Wallace Wade Stadium."

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-01-2009, 04:24 PM
No tickets needed..... just show up for the 1P start on April 18.:D

DU82
04-01-2009, 10:45 PM

Tickets to our spring game? Show up at Wallace Wade and walk in.

CameronBornAndBred
04-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the time update Jim. Looks like Brunchgate will be dinnergate for the first two, great news. I loved the night games, even in the rain!

jimsumner
04-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Cutcliffe's traveling road show. Coming to a venue near you.

From Duke press release

"second annual Duke Athletics Tour featuring head football coach David Cutcliffe has secured eight stops between April 18 and May 21.

The 2009 tour includes events in Charlotte (April 28), Asheville (April 29), Greenville (May 5), Richmond, Va. (May 6), Atlanta, Ga. (May 14), Sanford/Pinehurst (May 18), Greenville, S.C. (May 20) and Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem (May 21). All events are open to the public and will feature an autograph and photo opportunity with Cutcliffe, food and beverages and door prizes.

Dates for events in both Durham and Raleigh will be announced at a later time.

"Last year's inaugural Duke Athletics Tour was a huge success," said Cutcliffe. "We're looking forward to spending time with our alumni and fans once again this spring."

For more information, please visit www.IronDukes.net or call Samantha Kozub (919-613-7554) or Whitney Dunlap (919-613-7557).

2009 DUKE ATHLETICS TOUR

CHARLOTTE, NC
April 28
5:30-7:00 pm
Blackfinn American Saloon
210 East Trade (Epicentre)
Charlotte, NC 28202

ASHEVILLE, NC
April 29
Pack Place - The Forum
2 South Pack Square
Asheville, NC 28801

GREENVILLE, NC
May 5
Ronald C. Michels Center
2335 Hemby Lane
Greenville, NC 27834

RICHMOND, VA
May 6
Roslyn Conference Center
8727 River Road
Richmond, VA 23229

ATLANTA, GA
May 14
6:00-7:30 pm
Fox Sports Grill
261 19th Street
Atlanta, GA 30363

SANFORD/PINEHURST, NC
May 18
The Barn
305 Rothney Avenue
Southern Pines, NC 28387

GREENVILLE, SC
May 20
Wild Wing Cafe
15 West Washington Street
Greenville, SC 29601

GREENSBORO/HIGH POINT/WINSTON-SALEM, NC
May 21
Time & Location TBA"

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Cutcliffe's traveling road show. Coming to a venue near you.

From Duke press release

"second annual Duke Athletics Tour featuring head football coach David Cutcliffe has secured eight stops between April 18 and May 21.

The 2009 tour includes events in Charlotte (April 28), Asheville (April 29), Greenville (May 5), Richmond, Va. (May 6), Atlanta, Ga. (May 14), Sanford/Pinehurst (May 18), Greenville, S.C. (May 20) and Greensboro/High Point/Winston-Salem (May 21). All events are open to the public and will feature an autograph and photo opportunity with Cutcliffe, food and beverages and door prizes.

Dates for events in both Durham and Raleigh will be announced at a later time.

"Last year's inaugural Duke Athletics Tour was a huge success," said Cutcliffe. "We're looking forward to spending time with our alumni and fans once again this spring."

For more information, please visit www.IronDukes.net or call Samantha Kozub (919-613-7554) or Whitney Dunlap (919-613-7557).

2009 DUKE ATHLETICS TOUR

CHARLOTTE, NC
April 28
Blackfinn American Saloon
210 East Trade (Epicentre)
Charlotte, NC 28202

ASHEVILLE, NC
April 29
Pack Place - The Forum
2 South Pack Square
Asheville, NC 28801

GREENVILLE, NC
May 5
Ronald C. Michels Center
2335 Hemby Lane
Greenville, NC 27834

RICHMOND, VA
May 6
Roslyn Conference Center
8727 River Road
Richmond, VA 23229

ATLANTA, GA
May 14
6:00-7:30 pm
Fox Sports Grill
261 19th Street
Atlanta, GA 30363

SANFORD/PINEHURST, NC
May 18
The Barn
305 Rothney Avenue
Southern Pines, NC 28387

GREENVILLE, SC
May 20
Wild Wing Cafe
15 West Washington Street
Greenville, SC 29601

GREENSBORO/HIGH POINT/WINSTON-SALEM, NC
May 21
Time & Location TBA"

Thanks for all the updates on Duke football, Jim. It's wonderful that Duke football is good news again!

dgoore97
04-03-2009, 03:32 PM
optimistic, i hope we can manage expectations..

http://cfn.scout.com/2/852847.html

Kewlswim
04-03-2009, 06:38 PM
optimistic, i hope we can manage expectations..

http://cfn.scout.com/2/852847.html

Hi,

Seriously, a 6-7-8 win season would be just fantastic. Anything more than that would really be gravy.

GO DUKE!

Duvall
04-03-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi,

Seriously, a 6-7-8 win season would be just fantastic. Anything more than that would really be gravy.

GO DUKE!

A six-win season would be real progress, but might fall short of fantastic. Missing out on the program's first bowl bid in fifteen years on a technicality would be kind of devastating, really.

dgoore97
04-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Vince Oghobaase has been named to the 2009 Lott Trophy Watch List, announced on Tuesday by Ronnie Lott in Newport Beach, Calif.

http://duke.scout.com/2/854684.html

g4orce
04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I got my ticket package invite in the mail yesterday and was very, very impressed. First, my invite included a personalized picture of "my" locker. It had my last name in the nameplate above the locker and my name was on the back of the jersey itself. Very professionally done. It didn't look photoshopped at all.

Also, what I thought was great, was that for $30 more than the season ticket package (per ticket) was an offer to buy a "permanent seat" at my ticket location. The picture showed a 3" padded seat bottom, seat back was labeled with the Duke logo, seat was covered in an all-weather, waterproof vinyl and stated that it would be mounted to the bench at my ticket location for the entire season. The verbage was such that I read it as 'the stadium will be crowded, don't let the crowd encroach upon your space'. Also, not having to carry around my own seat to each game is a plus.

Oh, and they are reserving 10x10 Duke tents along with a parking space in front of Card Gym for tailgating. I don't remember if that was only for Iron Dukes or not, but still a great idea.

All-in-all, I thought this was a very professional output compared to previous season ticket pre-purchase reminders.:)

DownEastDevil
04-08-2009, 06:28 PM
I got my ticket package invite in the mail yesterday and was very, very impressed. First, my invite included a personalized picture of "my" locker. It had my last name in the nameplate above the locker and my name was on the back of the jersey itself. Very professionally done. It didn't look photoshopped at all.

Also, what I thought was great, was that for $30 more than the season ticket package (per ticket) was an offer to buy a "permanent seat" at my ticket location. The picture showed a 3" padded seat bottom, seat back was labeled with the Duke logo, seat was covered in an all-weather, waterproof vinyl and stated that it would be mounted to the bench at my ticket location for the entire season. The verbage was such that I read it as 'the stadium will be crowded, don't let the crowd encroach upon your space'. Also, not having to carry around my own seat to each game is a plus.

Oh, and they are reserving 10x10 Duke tents along with a parking space in front of Card Gym for tailgating. I don't remember if that was only for Iron Dukes or not, but still a great idea.

All-in-all, I thought this was a very professional output compared to previous season ticket pre-purchase reminders.:)

Got my package today also and am very impressed with the effort to get fans into the stadium. I loved the 5x7 picture of the locker with my name plate and the jersey with my name hanging in the locker. There is also a note from Coach Cut adressing me by name about the improvements coming ths year. Very well done, I'm already to go.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-08-2009, 07:37 PM

I've been wondering when my season ticket package would arrive - maybe I'll get mine tomorrow.

Yes, I'll buy the seat back you're talking about. It sounds much more comfortable than the portable seat I lug in.

As for the tents, well, they've sold 6 of 18 tents so far (as of Monday). They are $600 for the season, and the Brunchgate/LTE Group has rented one! :cool: Party on! :D

dgoore97
04-10-2009, 09:27 AM
http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2009/04/08/Column/Duke-Turns.To.InState.Recruiting-3701932.shtml

haven't felt this good about duke football in a while..

killerleft
04-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the story!

Coach Cutcliffe and his staff at once separated themselves from previous Duke regimes by recruiting in-state. When I saw what he was doing, and the level of talent he was getting in his first try, I had a feeling Duke football was going to be much better soon.

These are exciting times for us long-time fans. Come on out next Saturday and watch the Blue-White game. It's a good way to cast a vote for Duke Football!

OldPhiKap
04-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Three things have become eminently clear to me about Cut:

1. His passion and drive to (re)build something special here is infectious, and it permeates everything he does. It's palpable.

2. He has been able to (re)assemble one of the best staffs in the country. Seriously. He brought back his Old Miss staff from such powerhouses as Alabama, Tennessee, and even the professional ranks to come here to Durham. Think about that. Then, sit back and think about that again. Wow.

3. Oh yeah, he knows a bit about getting a team ready to play on Saturday too. Our level of execution and conditioning is vastly improved, and as he states everyone needs to take the second year to the next level.

Let's go Duke!!!!

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Three things have become eminently clear to me about Cut:

1. His passion and drive to (re)build something special here is infectious, and it permeates everything he does. It's palpable.

2. He has been able to (re)assemble one of the best staffs in the country. Seriously. He brought back his Old Miss staff from such powerhouses as Alabama, Tennessee, and even the professional ranks to come here to Durham. Think about that. Then, sit back and think about that again. Wow.

3. Oh yeah, he knows a bit about getting a team ready to play on Saturday too. Our level of execution and conditioning is vastly improved, and as he states everyone needs to take the second year to the next level.

Let's go Duke!!!!

Check out this video from Coach Cutcliffe:
http://www.goduke.com/newMediaPlayer/sl/console.htm?SPSID=&CLIP_FILE_ID=397522&type=vod&DB_OEM_ID=4200&oemid=4200&SPID=&DB_MENU_ID=&id=397522&CLIP_ID=389997

roywhite
04-14-2009, 01:04 PM
http://www.legacy.com/Birmingham/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonId=125923582

Duke FB fans who go back a ways may remember Jim Dearth, who played TE and was a captain of the 1969 team. Sad to see that he recently passed away; family members surviving him include his wife and two daughters, who were also Duke graduates.

As the obit notes, Jim made a tremendous contribution to medicine and children's health in his career after football. A great guy.

killerleft
04-17-2009, 10:00 AM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3720580

Supposed to be a beautiful spring day. The Sarah P. Duke Gardens are usually beautiful this time of year, too!

CameronBornAndBred
04-17-2009, 10:53 AM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3720580

Supposed to be a beautiful spring day. The Sarah P. Duke Gardens are usually beautiful this time of year, too!
A number of us will be brunchgating in the lot on 751 & Science drive at about 11:30. I'm getting there about 9, just to go take photos in the gardens for some upcoming paintings. (I get to go on the field during the game to take photos for paintings as well, I'm way excited about that!)

dgoore97
04-22-2009, 09:54 AM
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=2&c=858618&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2frecruiting.scout.com%2f2 %2f858618.html

other schools still recruiting our commits, i guess it means we have good recruits, but man, is it that bad out there?

killerleft
04-22-2009, 10:04 AM
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=2&c=858618&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2frecruiting.scout.com%2f2 %2f858618.html

other schools still recruiting our commits, i guess it means we have good recruits, but man, is it that bad out there?

Evidently we will be seeing many more unsavory tactics from the lesser football schools like Clemson.:cool:

loran16
04-22-2009, 06:10 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4083508&name=feldman_bruce&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4083508%26name%3dfeld man_bruce

(Free to the public for some reason for a certain amount)

It's interesting, I wouldn't have thought Cam (who was just on a bus I was on earlier today going to enjoy his last LDOC) would be an nfl draft possibility.

Here's a question though, is it a good or bad thing that Tauiliili is NOT on this list? Does that mean they think he'll make it or that he's not even thought of?

gep
04-22-2009, 06:54 PM
http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2009/04/08/Column/Duke-Turns.To.InState.Recruiting-3701932.shtml

haven't felt this good about duke football in a while..

Thanks for the link. This quote from the article on recruiting and education gave me a real good feeling...

"I've got a Duke education in my suitcase," he said. "I know we're not going to attract every kid, but if an education is not important to a kid, then that kid's not important to me. So I'm targeting the right kids in-state."

I wish Coach Cut all the success, and with it, I hope this will be his last job:)

dgoore97
05-06-2009, 08:21 AM
excuse this if posted already

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-05-03-early-ins_N.htm

and one more:

http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20090505/?pg=32&pm=1&u1=friend

davekay1971
05-06-2009, 08:56 AM
Thanks for those links! I loved the interview in Sporting News with Coach Cut. You just have to be excited that Duke has that guy running the football program. Is it September yet?

dgoore97
05-13-2009, 09:52 AM

haven't seen any video yet, but seems to be getting good reviews

devilish
05-13-2009, 12:09 PM
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090512/PSPORTS02/905139994/1002/SPORTS04?Title=USC-offers-Duke-Commitment

dgoore97
05-14-2009, 01:44 PM
http://www.realfootball365.com/articles/duke/13939

OldPhiKap
05-14-2009, 03:11 PM
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20090512/PSPORTS02/905139994/1002/SPORTS04?Title=USC-offers-Duke-Commitment

I am assuming that USC is the Gamecocks, not the Trojans?

In any event, I hope the commitment sticks. Cut and Co are building something special in old Durham.

roywhite
05-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Devilsden is reporting that Duke FB has gotten a commitment from RB Joshua Snead, who also had offers from GaTech, Louisville, NCState, Vandy, and Wake Forest.

Following a consistent pattern for Coach Cutcliffe, Joshua is:
1. from in-state (Smithfield)
2. Fast! (reported 10.52 100m)

Congrats to Joshua and to the Duke program, which is doing a terrific job on the recruiting trail.

killerleft
05-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Excellent! It's just amazing that Duke is recruiting North Carolina hard and getting the job done. For at least 30 years the mantra has been that Duke had to recruit almost exclusively outside the state in order to (not) compete.

Kudos to Coach Cutcliffe and the staff!

Highlander
05-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Devilsden is reporting that Duke FB has gotten a commitment from RB Joshua Snead, who also had offers from GaTech, Louisville, NCState, Vandy, and Wake Forest.

Following a consistent pattern for Coach Cutcliffe, Joshua is:
1. from in-state (Smithfield)
2. Fast! (reported 10.52 100m)

Congrats to Joshua and to the Duke program, which is doing a terrific job on the recruiting trail.

I thought 10.52 was his 40m time at first glance, and thought "Well, fast isn't EXACTLY the adjective I would use to describe him."

Then I saw it was 100m. That's cookin...

CameronBornAndBred
05-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Thanks for the update Jim. We just might be giving Alabama some serious competition in Wallace Wade.

SushiChef
05-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Does anybody have any information on how many scholarships are available for the 2010 class? Rivals stated that there is a minimal number of scholarships available for the 2010 class.

formerdukeathlete
05-18-2009, 09:59 PM
Does anybody have any information on how many scholarships are available for the 2010 class? Rivals stated that there is a minimal number of scholarships available for the 2010 class.

the 09 football roster on goduke

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22667

shows 12 seniors.

you may find about 5 redshirt juniors ("juniors" in terms of eligibility, actually 4 year / seniors academically who did not play their freshman year - 06) who are not projected 2 or 1 on the depth chart. Then add kids who are just done and want to move on.

up to 17, maybe?

El_Diablo
06-05-2009, 10:05 PM
http://obsrecruiting.blogspot.com/2009/06/marshall-moving-into-top-tier-of.html

Local standout (and rising star) defensive back A.J. Marshall lists Duke as one of his top choices! :)

Here's his profile:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=87856&Sport=1

Acymetric
06-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Heather Dinich (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/acc) is counting down the top 30 players in the ACC. I'm curious to see what (if any) Duke players crack the list. She implies that not all 12 schools are represented, so its possible we won't see any Duke players. If we do get anybody, I would have to expect it to be Thad, V.O., or Vincent Rey. It'll be interesting to see what she thinks.

CameronBornAndBred
06-08-2009, 08:32 PM
Heather Dinich (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/acc) is counting down the top 30 players in the ACC. I'm curious to see what (if any) Duke players crack the list. She implies that not all 12 schools are represented, so its possible we won't see any Duke players. If we do get anybody, I would have to expect it to be Thad, V.O., or Vincent Rey. It'll be interesting to see what she thinks.
Thad has to make it. Vince too.

Acymetric
06-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Thad has to make it. Vince too.

I would tend to agree, the only reason I'm not sure they will is that she implied that one or more schools might not be represented...if any school doesn't make the list one would have to assume it would be Duke, right? I think a pretty strong case could be made for Rey also, seeing as he finished either 2nd or 3rd in the conference in tackles while playing with the guy who lead the conference in tackles.

Dinich is pretty high on Thad though, so I would at least expect him to make it.