PDA

View Full Version : How much money would it take?

House G
03-17-2009, 07:00 PM
If you were in Las Vegas, you could bet on North Carolina to win the National Championship and receive $3.50 for every dollar wagered. By comparison, Duke is +15.00, UConn +8.50, Louisville +6.00, and Pitt +6.50. Obviously, none of us want UNC to win the national championship. How much money would you be willing to "throw away" by betting on UNC @ +3.50 (i.e., you lose your bet if they don't win the championship)? Stated another way, is there any amount that you could bet on them that would take any or all of your pain away were this to occur? ;)

Duvall
03-17-2009, 07:12 PM
If you were in Las Vegas, you could bet on North Carolina to win the National Championship and receive $3.50 for every dollar wagered. By comparison, Duke is +15.00, UConn +8.50, Louisville +6.00, and Pitt +6.50. Obviously, none of us want UNC to win the national championship. How much money would you be willing to "throw away" by betting on UNC @ +3.50 (i.e., you lose your bet if they don't win the championship)? Stated another way, is there any amount that you could bet on them that would take any or all of your pain away were this to occur? ;)

...well, now we're just haggling about the price.

CameronBlue
03-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Depends on whether I'm betting with AIG's money or my own (in other words I'd never bet on UNC with my own money, no matter the odds.)

BlueintheFace
03-17-2009, 08:02 PM
I'd throw $100 away for sure.

mgtr
03-17-2009, 09:46 PM
If I had some notion that betting on UNC would cause them to lose, then the sky is the limit. Well, OK, $1,000 is the limit. Very low ceiling today! I just realized that I sort of stole a line from Fawlty Towers. Basil (after a complicated exchange) says the sky is the limit, and Sybil says no, 23 rooms is the limit. Very funny.

House G
03-18-2009, 07:51 AM
If I had some notion that betting on UNC would cause them to lose, then the sky is the limit. Well, OK, $1,000 is the limit. Very low ceiling today! I just realized that I sort of stole a line from Fawlty Towers. Basil (after a complicated exchange) says the sky is the limit, and Sybil says no, 23 rooms is the limit. Very funny.
I've never won a large bet in my life--I'm fairly certain that if I were to bet $1,000 on UNC they would have no chance of winning it all. (I have all kinds of insurance policies--what's one more going to hurt :D)

arnie
03-18-2009, 08:56 AM
I've never won a large bet in my life--I'm fairly certain that if I were to bet $1,000 on UNC they would have no chance of winning it all. (I have all kinds of insurance policies--what's one more going to hurt :D)

Then we need for you to place that bet!

weezie
03-18-2009, 09:18 AM
Yeah House G, let us know where the party is when the tarholes lose. I'll bring the snacks.

elvis14
03-18-2009, 09:57 AM
...well, now we're just haggling about the price.

Two things: first Duvall's post above is the by far best reply to this post, hilarious. Secondly, given the odds, I'd bet on Duke at +15.00. I don't think I could bring myself to bet on UNC even given the scenario of "if they win I get paid and that helps ease the pain".

MIKESJ73
03-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Are those actual odds being offered? They are much better than the ones I found.

UNC 2:1 opened @ 5/2
Pitt 4:1 opened @ 7/2
UConn 5:1 opened @ 11:2
Louisville 9:2 same
Duke 10:1 same
Memp 10:1 same

While Pitt and Uconn's odds improved UNC's odd's dropped, must be all the Duke fans like me betting for them. If I put money on them no way they win. I bet my taxes. I will pay double for them to lose, or UNC pays my taxes for me

House G
03-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Are those actual odds being offered? They are much better than the ones I found.

UNC 2:1 opened @ 5/2
Pitt 4:1 opened @ 7/2
UConn 5:1 opened @ 11:2
Louisville 9:2 same
Duke 10:1 same
Memp 10:1 same

While Pitt and Uconn's odds improved UNC's odd's dropped, must be all the Duke fans like me betting for them. If I put money on them no way they win. I bet my taxes. I will pay double for them to lose, or UNC pays my taxes for me
I am seeing (today): UNC +3.50, Duke +15.00, UConn +8.25, Louisville +5.25, Pitt +6.00, Ok +20.00, Memphis +8.25, Mich St. +16.00.

Zeke
03-19-2009, 02:14 PM

As Tony Soprano says "it's not personal, it's just business". Whatever it take to make a buck.

gotham devil
03-19-2009, 04:23 PM
As Tony Soprano says "it's not personal, it's just business". Whatever it take to make a buck.

It was Michael Corleone who said, "It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business."

My high school was an all-boys school in the Bronx.
The kids may not have been able to quote Henry V, but they studied the Godfather movies like Al-Qaeda studies the Qu'ran. There were plenty of kids that didn't study Calculus, but knew the latest vig and could calculate the point spread on any of the major sports.