PDA

View Full Version : Duke bracket endorsements

TNDukeFan
03-17-2009, 04:39 PM
...but you have to scroll down past Roy calling TH "one of the greatest players to ever play [in college]." Hmm...

Katz says, "Now the Blue Devils have got the right mix on the court and are as legit a candidate to win the NCAA tournament as any of the other No. 1 or No. 2 seeds."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney09/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3989260

Skitzle
03-17-2009, 06:43 PM
...but you have to scroll down past Roy calling TH "one of the greatest players to ever play [in college]." Hmm...

Katz says, "Now the Blue Devils have got the right mix on the court and are as legit a candidate to win the NCAA tournament as any of the other No. 1 or No. 2 seeds."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney09/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=3989260

Me too!

Classof06
03-17-2009, 08:40 PM
I must say I was pretty surprised to see Katz say he thought we could win in all.

What do I feel? Honestly, I don't know what to expect from us. I think we're capable of making a final four but I also think we're capable of losing in the 2nd round.

I do think we're playing particularly well headed into the tournament and for that I'm very excited. What I do know is that for Duke to get as deep as we all want, they will have to consistently shoot well from the perimeter. If Duke does that, there's not a team in America we can't beat.

The best part about March Madness? Everything comes to the light.

We shall see..

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-17-2009, 08:58 PM
What I do know is that for Duke to get as deep as we all want, they will have to consistently shoot well from the perimeter. If Duke does that, there's not a team in America we can't beat.

I think you hit the nail on the head right there...

We are a jump shooting team....If we hit them we can beat anybody, if we don't we can lose to anybody...

roywhite
03-17-2009, 09:11 PM
It's always nice to hit jump shots, esp. 3-pointers, but Duke is hard to characterize as being about hitting outside shots.

In looking at our ranking vs other ACC teams in offensive categories (counting in-conference games only), we rank:

4th in scoring offense
8th in Free Throw % (though tied for 3rd in number of Free Throws made)
9th in FG %
8th in 3-pt FG %
8th in rebounding margin
7th in assists

What is Duke really good at?

Turnover margin---1st in the conference by a fairly wide margin; we force turnovers and do not generate turnovers, compared to our opponents. This is probably even more so since Scheyer has taken over at the point.

So what is a key path to victory---continue to take good care of the ball and generate good shots on offense; get to the free throw line; utilize our strong ball movement; on defense, force the other team into turnovers. Play smart and play hard.

Ignatius07
03-17-2009, 09:22 PM
It's always nice to hit jump shots, esp. 3-pointers, but Duke is hard to characterize as being about hitting outside shots.

In looking at our ranking vs other ACC teams in offensive categories (counting in-conference games only), we rank:

4th in scoring offense
8th in Free Throw % (though tied for 3rd in number of Free Throws made)
9th in FG %
8th in 3-pt FG %
8th in rebounding margin
7th in assists

What is Duke really good at?

Turnover margin---1st in the conference by a fairly wide margin; we force turnovers and do not generate turnovers, compared to our opponents. This is probably even more so since Scheyer has taken over at the point.

So what is a key path to victory---continue to take good care of the ball and generate good shots on offense; get to the free throw line; utilize our strong ball movement; on defense, force the other team into turnovers. Play smart and play hard.

These are some pretty shocking stats for a team as good as Duke is. We don't actually rely on the 3 as much as some people seem to think we do (I think we're around the middle of the pack for all Division I teams), but against some teams - like FSU - driving to the rack isn't as viable an option every play. I generally don't like us to shoot lots of 3s (unless it's off a drive that can't be finished), but sometimes it's necessary. Fortunately there are not many teams (actually, there aren't any other than Texas) in our half of the East that will pose this type of problem, meaning we should be able to reach the Elite 8 without having to rely on lights-out shooting.

feldspar
03-17-2009, 09:28 PM
I think what Andy Katz recognizes (and a lot of folks on this board don't) is that this Duke team is not the same Duke team that lost to Clemson and Boston College. This Duke team is on a roll, has a ton of confidence and is playing with a kind of focus and intensity we haven't seen yet.

In short, as opposed to the last few years, it appears that we are peaking going into the NCAA tournament, not the other way around.

And that makes me happy! :D

mgtr
03-17-2009, 09:39 PM
And i see that the President doesn't pick us to be in the final four, he picks all #1 seeds plus Memphis beating UConn. Probably a relatively safe pick for him, but not one on which a lot of money could be won.

KrazyKfan
03-17-2009, 10:17 PM
I saw this as well and was so surprised because it seems like it is us against the world. Good to see somebody thinks we can maket he run.

-bdbd
03-18-2009, 01:13 AM
I think what Andy Katz recognizes (and a lot of folks on this board don't) is that this Duke team is not the same Duke team that lost to Clemson and Boston College. This Duke team is on a roll, has a ton of confidence and is playing with a kind of focus and intensity we haven't seen yet.

In short, as opposed to the last few years, it appears that we are peaking going into the NCAA tournament, not the other way around.

- I agree -- for once we've got a team that's PEAKING in March
...so anything's possible.

- Also gotta like that we're playing with fresh legs this year.

- And with the #2 seed, hopefully, we won't get worn down in the first 2 rounds. We're a 22 point favorite Thursday night, and if we make Sat. we'll be about a 10-point favorite over either Minn or Texas. (My favorite line from "Officer and a Gentleman," was the Drill Seargent's bark, "From Texas??! Boy, there's only TWO things from Texas..." )

- And for the first time in a while we actually have real depth! Now, if we just can remember to use it...

We have a real chance in this one. I run an office pool and a lot of folks are picking Duke to make the FF -- really!

-BDBD :p

mkline09
03-18-2009, 07:39 AM
On the Kevin White show last night DeCourcy has Duke in the final four, but then he ruined it by saything they'd loose to the muddy feet.

davekay1971
03-18-2009, 09:09 AM
And i see that the President doesn't pick us to be in the final four, he picks all #1 seeds plus Memphis beating UConn. Probably a relatively safe pick for him, but not one on which a lot of money could be won.

He's a Kerlina fan. Forget party affiliation, what I vote on is Blue affiliation - Royal or pastel.

Mal
03-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Anyone else read that Katz piece and think "Wow, this guy is obsessed with coaches"? He hardly mentions the players on any of the teams he focuses on in the "could change perception" portion of the column. It's almost entirely about coaching legacies and reputations. More players, less suits, please!

MulletMan
03-18-2009, 03:28 PM
- I agree -- for once we've got a team that's PEAKING in March
...so anything's possible.

For once?

Seriously? For once? When does your memory begin?

bjornolf
03-18-2009, 03:42 PM
For once?

I think he's just referring to the last, oh, five seasons or so, when we've faded down the stretch.

sagegrouse
03-18-2009, 04:01 PM
For once?

Recency = Late occurrence, appearance, or origin.

Recency problem = Providing excessive weight to recent events.

There is a lot of that WRT Duke in the media and, unhappily, on this Board. In a sense, it is a free shot, since it is the objective truth that Duke has not made a FF in five years (like 300+ teams in Division I) but had made the FF ten times in the previous 19 years (like no one else and like only other team in history).

A single shower does not a monsoon make, nor do two losses before the Sweet Sixteen signal the decline and fall of a great basketball program.

sagegrouse

Spret42
03-18-2009, 04:04 PM
-

- And with the #2 seed, hopefully, we won't get worn down in the first 2 rounds. We're a 22 point favorite Thursday night, and if we make Sat. we'll be about a 10-point favorite over either Minn or Texas. (My favorite line from "Officer and a Gentleman," was the Drill Seargent's bark, "From Texas??! Boy, there's only TWO things from Texas..." )

I thought that was Full Metal Jacket. Eh. Maybe it was both.

R. Lee Ermey was an actual Drill Instructor. Glad he wasn't mine. :)

OldPhiKap
03-18-2009, 04:49 PM
I thought that was Full Metal Jacket. Eh. Maybe it was both.

R. Lee Ermey was an actual Drill Instructor. Glad he wasn't mine. :)

Speaking of, d'jaevernotice that Hansborough looks a lot like Private Pyle?

Tjenkins
03-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Mal wrote:
"Anyone else read that Katz piece and think "Wow, this guy is obsessed with coaches"?"

Yeah, I noticed that too. Most sportswriters/casters, including Katz are caught up in coach worship.

NYC Duke Fan
03-18-2009, 06:51 PM
He is very rarely right and always lost out to Chris Russo in their NCAA Pools.

micah75
03-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Well, doggonit. Is there any way to get him to change his pick? I was really looking forward to a deep run by the good guys this season. Oh well, guess there's always next year. :(

Jim3k
03-18-2009, 07:46 PM
I have it on good authority that he has no karmic power, positive or negative.

All is well. Blue lights are shining clearly.

tele
03-18-2009, 08:09 PM
First Katz and now Francesa, if this keeps up it could start a...uh.. movement! And it was so nice being under the radar...;)

Uncle Drew
03-18-2009, 08:16 PM

As usual feldspar makes a good point, and adding E-Will to the mix and John at the point has changed they way the team plays and the confidence level. I really wasn't sure Duke had turned it back around totally until they won the ACCT. But I think aside from some ligering injury issues they have the apple cart back on it's wheels again.

I think the loss at UNC worried some of us a little because that was the ultimate test of where we were. But frankly I think this team has improved a lot since that game, Duke really doesn't match up well with UNC period and the odds of us playing them again are very low. There are other potential foes in their bracket that match up better than Duke with UNC in the NCAA's. And they are one loss away from heading home just like everyone else.

As far as Duke peaking, I have to say their peak so far would have been the Maryland game that had people in College Park jumping off roof tops. THAT was the most complete game where offense and defense came together. But feldspar is right in saying Duke is playing well AND improving at the right time. As we all know a lot about runs in the NCAA's is about match ups. If Duke forces teams to try to match up with them I like our chances in ANY game. And as roywhite pointed out Duke doesn't have to go 12-25 every game from three to win. But they do need to hit a high enough percentage to open things up, especially on open looks. I love when Duke works the ball around and has the opposing defense running all helter skelter to try and recover. If Duke can make teams pay for missed asignments or lack of hussle with any baskets three point or other wise this team will be hard to beat.

So feldspar as this new and improved Duke team seems to improve with each game, by my calculating they should peak sometime in early April. Let's hope they are hitting from downtown in Motown, forcing turnovers in Ford Field and win it all in the Wolverine State.

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-18-2009, 08:38 PM
First Katz and now Francesa, if this keeps up it could start a...uh.. movement! And it was so nice being under the radar...;)

Obama hasn't picked a winner yet, either. Lucky for us he doesn't think the Devils have what it takes.
Love, Ima

KrazyKfan
03-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Looks like Francesca will be winning the office pool this year.

devildownunder
03-18-2009, 09:23 PM
I think Duke may well be a chic pick for the final four. there are no great teams this year, duke finished strong, it's been 8 years since we won one and for all the talk about hatred tsunamis, we are still quite well respected. So is Coach K.

NYC Duke Fan
03-19-2009, 04:12 AM
Where did Duke lose to West Virginia last year and where did Duke lose to VCU the year before ?

Thank you.

AIRFORCEDUKIE
03-19-2009, 04:19 AM
Where did Duke lose to West Virginia last year and where did Duke lose to VCU the year before ?

Thank you.

Duke lost to VCU in Buffaloe NY
and WV in the Verizon Center in DC unfortunatly

Now stop bringing back bad memories :( Today is the start of a new Tourney RUN

GO DEVILS

Billy Dat
03-19-2009, 09:36 AM
He is very rarely right and always lost out to Chris Russo in their NCAA Pools.

Really? I've been listening to the podcasts of his interviews all week (Billy Packer, Jim Calhoun, Greg Anthony, Jim Boeheim) and all he's been doing is saying stuff like "this isn't vintage Duke", "they live and die by the 3", "Pitt would murder them in a match-up", etc.

When did he pick us for the Final Four?

houstondukie
03-19-2009, 09:56 AM

Well said.

Like the coaches and players have said, this is a "new season" and we are 8-1, losing only to unc on the road on senior night and the acc regular season championship on the line.

lmb
03-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Has Bilas picked a champion? I keep looking for something from him online and can't find anything. He picked Kansas last year and I followed his lead. I still finished third in my pool because of earlier rounds, but I would like to see who he has.

Spret42
03-19-2009, 10:12 AM
Speaking of, d'jaevernotice that Hansborough looks a lot like Private Pyle?

Nope, see Private Pyle couldn't get his "fat "rear end" over that obstacle." Hansbrough would have just shuffled his feet and traveled over it. Of course Gunny Hartman had integrity and would have blown his whistle.

namvet1965
03-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Royal or Heavenly! Look outside today and you will see that the color is not Royal, but that Heavenly shade.

brumby041
03-19-2009, 02:18 PM
It's nice to see that my bracket is statistically valid:

http://www.slate.com/id/2213974/

Duke all the way!

The Gordog
03-19-2009, 02:42 PM
I think he's just referring to the last, oh, five seasons or so, when we've faded down the stretch.

Last 5 years:

2008 = Acknowledged
2007 = Acknowledged
2006 = ACC Champs, Sweet 16, Injury bug
2005 = ACC Champs, Sweet 16
2004 = ACC Reg Season Champs, Final 4!

2 years <> the last, oh, five seasons or so