View Full Version : UConn Gets All the Calls- It's in the paper

jdj4duke
03-17-2009, 04:30 PM
From the NYT today

All the usual suspects are mentioned.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/17/sports/ncaabasketball/18fouls.html?ref=sports

Rudy
03-17-2009, 05:03 PM
The tournament refs tend to allow more physical play without calling a lot of fouls. Does that hurt or help us?

bjornolf
03-17-2009, 05:14 PM
If they do that for all the teams equally, it'll certainly hurt Hansbrough.

Ignatius07
03-17-2009, 05:42 PM
The tournament refs tend to allow more physical play without calling a lot of fouls. Does that hurt or help us?

Probably hurts us on the inside, but we play a very aggressive perimeter defense.

fitimi1
03-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Article should have been entitled, "Duke does not get all the calls."

Kedsy
03-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Did anyone watch the Syracuse/Connecticut game? If Thabeet were Zoubek he would have been whistled for 15 or 20 fouls in the overtimes alone. The guy commits a foul on practically every rebound and probably half his blocked shots.

MarkD83
03-17-2009, 07:38 PM
“Every game we’re coming in, we’ve got 8 points built in the bank on foul shots,” Calhoun said in a phone interview on Sunday. UConn averaged nearly 10 more points a game on free throws, actually. “That’s unusual. But it’s a great advantage.”

Instead of apologizing or defending the difference he embraces it.

The next time someone says Duke gets all the calls I am going to respond that it is great that we get 8 extra points a game. If you have a problem with that call the head of officials.

HoopsFan
03-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Did anyone watch the Syracuse/Connecticut game? If Thabeet were Zoubek he would have been whistled for 15 or 20 fouls in the overtimes alone. The guy commits a foul on practically every rebound and probably half his blocked shots.
From what I've seen Thabeet has learned to block shots without fouling. If you notice he allows his opponent to post up wherever he wants which sometimes backfires on him, but in so doing he doesn't create any contact. I've seen most of his college games, in his first couple years I think he was unfairly whistled for clean blocks. Now that he has a reputation of being a great shot blocker he gets more calls than others.
I saw the 'cuse game, 15 or 20 fouls in OT??? I must have missed most of those.

Kedsy
03-17-2009, 10:22 PM
From what I've seen Thabeet has learned to block shots without fouling. If you notice he allows his opponent to post up wherever he wants which sometimes backfires on him, but in so doing he doesn't create any contact. I've seen most of his college games, in his first couple years I think he was unfairly whistled for clean blocks. Now that he has a reputation of being a great shot blocker he gets more calls than others.
I saw the 'cuse game, 15 or 20 fouls in OT??? I must have missed most of those.

I haven't seen most of his games, but I did see that one. I was employing a bit of hyperbole when I said 15 or 20, but not much, especially since he started the overtimes with 4 fouls. He was just throwing people out of the way on pretty much every rebound, knocking people to the floor on blocks. If he plays like that and the refs in the NCAA tourney call like the average ACC ref instead of the average Big East ref, I think UConn's going to have some trouble.

KrazyKfan
03-17-2009, 10:34 PM
We've handled physical teams like Fla State and MD all year long

Not worried.