PDA

View Full Version : Coach Krzyzewski passes Coach Phelan

Dopeshop
03-17-2009, 01:23 PM
How many more does Coach K have to win to pass the Mt. St. Mary's Coach ? Thanks.

bjornolf
03-17-2009, 01:34 PM
According to Mt. St. Mary's website, it's Phelan, not Phelen. According to them, he's got 830 wins. I'm finding it harder than I thought to find Coach K's total number of wins. Go Duke's stats are from like 2005. Even K's own website only has 800 through March 01, 2008.

By looking at ESPN.com, I see that he won 3 games after the 800th last year, and we're 28-6 this year. So, as far as I can tell, he's won 831 now, thus being one win PAST Phelan. If that's true, did anybody note that after the win over FSU?

hedgehog
03-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Currently, wikipedia lists 831-273 for Coach K

GoDuke lists the same under the Notes after the FSU game:
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3692977

northernduke
03-17-2009, 01:37 PM
iirc, he passed him with the victory over FSU in the ACCT game....add in the 28 victories we have this year to the total in this link (http://www.coachk.com/coaching-record.php)

Fish80
03-17-2009, 01:40 PM
According to Mt. St. Mary's website, it's Phelan, not Phelen. According to them, he's got 830 wins. I'm finding it harder than I thought to find Coach K's total number of wins. Go Duke's stats are from like 2005. Even K's own website only has 800 through March 01, 2008.

By looking at ESPN.com, I see that he won 3 games after the 800th last year, and we're 28-6 this year. So, as far as I can tell, he's won 831 now, thus being one win PAST Phelan. If that's true, did anybody note that after the win over FSU?

According to the media guide for the Maryland semi-final, Coach K had 829 wins going into that game. (I couldn't find the media guide for the FSU game.) That would make MD and FSU wins number 830 and 831.

bjornolf
03-17-2009, 01:42 PM
Did anyone note that with our win over FSU in the ACCT, Coach K got his 831st win, passing Coach Phelan of Mt. St. Mary's?

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3692977

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski earned his 831st victory as a head coach on Sunday. With the victory he passes Jim Phelan for fourth all-time in NCAA Division I history for career victories. He is first among active coaches.

bjornolf
03-17-2009, 01:46 PM
and I don't have a problem with it. But wouldn't it make more sense to turn this into a congratulatory thread for K than one questioning him vs. Phelan? Just saying. :confused: They're NOT the same thread. One is asking how many wins he has compared to Phelan, the other is a congratulatory thread for Coach K.

Back when JJ was going for the ACC points record, if someone had started a thread asking "exactly how many points does JJ have?" and then someone else looked it up and started a thread that read "Congratulations to JJ for breaking the all-time ACC points record", which title would it make more sense to keep? Just saying. ;)

Never mind. Somebody just changed the title. Thanks.

DukieInKansas
03-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Did anyone note that with our win over FSU in the ACCT, Coach K got his 831st win, passing Coach Phelan of Mt. St. Mary's?

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3692977

I believe it was mentioned on air during the game. Congratulations, Coach K. Let's add some more victories this year. (6 would be nice - and a real bonus.)

bjornolf
03-17-2009, 01:50 PM
I believe it was mentioned on air during the game. Congratulations, Coach K. Let's add some more victories this year. (6 would be nice - and a real bonus.)

I meant here at DBR. Didn't we all go kinda nuts for 800? Doesn't this deserve some celebration?

Is this somewhere on the front page or in the headlines and I just missed it? I didn't see it in DBR's preview or summary of the FSU game. Just kinda surprised me, that's all. I guess we're all just concentrating on the tourney, and rightfully so.

DukieInKansas
03-17-2009, 03:58 PM
I meant here at DBR. Didn't we all go kinda nuts for 800? Doesn't this deserve some celebration?

Is this somewhere on the front page or in the headlines and I just missed it? I didn't see it in DBR's preview or summary of the FSU game. Just kinda surprised me, that's all. I guess we're all just concentrating on the tourney, and rightfully so.

You're right - I don't recall anything here until this thread/these combined threads ;) I say we go all out for #837 in a little over 3 weeks. :D

arnie
03-17-2009, 04:00 PM

When he passes Deano, then it will show up in an occasional newspaper around here. Of course he'll have to pass him twice, once with total career wins and then again with Duke wins for it to count!

vlove
03-17-2009, 04:18 PM
an even better question is when K gets within 4 of Deano, will the IC crowd insist on K being awarded the 4 (IIRC) wins currently attributed to Pete Gaudet from 95? :rolleyes:

weezie
03-17-2009, 04:57 PM
When he passes Deano, then it will show up in an occasional newspaper around here. Of course he'll have to pass him twice, once with total career wins and then again with Duke wins for it to count!

Forget deano, when K passes Knight, the tarholes will have to swallow their bile and recognize K's righteous superiority. :D

Dopeshop
03-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Is it 45 wins to pass Rupp ? thanks

tbyers11
03-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Is it 45 wins to pass Rupp ? thanks

Rupp has 876 wins. So with K's 831 wins, it is currently 45 to tie Rupp and 46 to pass him

bjornolf
03-17-2009, 06:15 PM
So, in all probability, he'll catch him somewhere around the mid-point of the 2010-2011 season.

mgtr
03-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Well, if he doesn't have that many wins by then, we are all going to look pretty stupid. But consider: A coach from nowhere (Army) is an assistant at Indiana and then takes over the Duke program. Loses. Then starts winning. And ultimately (probably) becomes the winningest coach of all time. Truth is stranger that fiction. If you wrote that story as fiction, it would be a hard sell to anyone over about age 20.

cspan37421
03-17-2009, 10:34 PM
But I'd love to see the part of the movie where K, in the press conference where he's introduced, spells his name for the media, and remarks, "And if you think that's bad, you should have seen it before I had it changed."