PDA

View Full Version : Duke #5

Indoor66
03-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Duke is number 5 in this week's ESPN poll (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings?seasonYear=2009&weekNumber=1&seasonType=3).

houstondukie
03-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Duke is number 5 in this week's ESPN poll (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings?seasonYear=2009&weekNumber=1&seasonType=3).

DUKE is also RPI #1, SOS #1.

Can anyone else remember a TOP 5, RPI #1, SOS #1 team that wasn't given much #1 seed consideration? In any other year, that team would be a sure-fire #1 seed.

hurleyfor3
03-16-2009, 04:03 PM
We're #6 Pomeroy, somehow behind Gonzaga.

We had a fair shot at a #1 seed. Unfortunately we went 0-2 against unc.

throatybeard
03-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Sagarin's got us 4th, and 3rd in SOS (behind Indiana and Oregon).

Remember that, historically, the human polls have correlated better to seeding than the RPI has. Probably becuase humans are doing the seeding.

houstondukie
03-16-2009, 04:13 PM

Duke deserves a #2 seed.

Just thought it was interesting/surprising that such a good team "on paper" wasn't even talked about really at all for a number 1 seed.

hurleyfor3
03-16-2009, 04:19 PM
I was apparently looking at Saturday's poll. Winning the ACC Championship moved us down to number seven in Pomeroy! Pitt somehow moves down to #6, despite not having played since Thursday. Man, them dork polls is crazy.

DankeShane
03-16-2009, 05:36 PM

I love how Duke losing to UNC twice is a mark of shame yet UCONN going 0-2 vs. Pitt isn't even mentioned.

Also, UCONN ended the season on a 2 game losing streak. I wonder how many times a team has gotten a 1 seed after losing its last two games before the tournament.

Jeffrey
03-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Duke deserves a #2 seed.

I agree. If Duke had beaten Wake and then UNC to win the ACC tourney, then I'd say we should have been a strong consideration for a #1 seed.

OTOH, I think Wake should have been a #3 seed having the second best conference record in the strongest conference.

phaedrus
03-16-2009, 06:51 PM

I think it has a lot more to do with losing to Clemson. By 27.

dukie8
03-16-2009, 06:56 PM
I think it has a lot more to do with losing to Clemson. By 27.

Losing to non-NCAAT ND by 33 didn't seem to harm Louisville.

ArkieDukie
03-16-2009, 07:02 PM
I love how Duke losing to UNC twice is a mark of shame yet UCONN going 0-2 vs. Pitt isn't even mentioned.

Also, UCONN ended the season on a 2 game losing streak. I wonder how many times a team has gotten a 1 seed after losing its last two games before the tournament.

ITA. The UConnVicts as a 1 seed is the biggest head-scratcher to me. And didn't Louisville play Pitt and UConn only once each, with both games on their home court? Am I remembering correctly?

superdave
03-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Has Pitt #1, Duke #2 (#3 SOS).

UNC 3rd....UConn 8th.

Is there a consensus RPI out there? It seems to be a pretty solid predictor of Final Four success. 10/12 FF teams have been top 5 RPI the past three years.

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Come on. A 2 seed is great. There is virtually no difference between a 1 seed and 2 seed.

Deserving or not of a 1 seed, Duke is playing great, we are on fire, we have confidence, Nolan is back, Zoubs played his greatest 9 minutes of his career, Scheyer is hot, G is even hotter, Kyle does everything - this is an exciting Duke team that can go so far.

The only problem - this will be the craziest March Madness in a long long long time. 9 teams, if not more, have a legit shot of winning it, including Duke. That is crazy. I love March Madness. I just wish it didn't give me a heart attack twice a week.

LetItBD08
03-16-2009, 09:16 PM
While we're on the topic of rankings...check out this little hypothetical. Duke can potentially play 5 teams in this tournament that were ranked in the AP Top 7 in the preseason poll (we were 8).

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings?seasonYear=2009&weekNumber=1&seasonType=2

Round 2: Texas (7)
Sweet 16: UCLA (4)
Elite 8: Pitt (5)
Final 4: UNC (1)
Champ Game: Louisville (3), UConn (2), or Mich St (6)

Obviously this means nothing, and the team needs to take it a game at a time, but I thought this was kind of a quirky scenario (especially with the potential early round games).

(Now that i think of it...I guess Binghamton theoretically has the worst path...They would potentially have to beat a preseason Top 8 team in every round to win the championship.)

jipops
03-16-2009, 09:52 PM
ITA. The UConnVicts as a 1 seed is the biggest head-scratcher to me. And didn't Louisville play Pitt and UConn only once each, with both games on their home court? Am I remembering correctly?

UConn lost to Pitt twice (a fellow #1 seed) and Syracuse once in 6 overtimes. That is all. I think UConn was pretty obvious as a #1 seed.

jipops
03-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Come on. A 2 seed is great. There is virtually no difference between a 1 seed and 2 seed.

Actually that is not entirely true. I don't have the numbers but I believe statistically a #1 is much more likely to make the FF than #2 seed.

That being said, Duke does deserve a 2 seed.

roywhite
03-16-2009, 10:19 PM
UConn lost to Pitt twice (a fellow #1 seed) and Syracuse once in 6 overtimes. That is all. I think UConn was pretty obvious as a #1 seed.

UConn also lost to Georgetown in late December. The Huskies are 27-4.

Are they still a top team after losing Jerome Dyson?