PDA

View Full Version : Great Defensive Plays in Blue Devil History.

diesel
03-16-2009, 02:45 PM
I’ve been thinking of the need for a Blue Devil highlights reel. I was impressed by the rain of threes yesterday. And I well recall the 10 points in a minute or so against the Potty Mouths a few years ago.

Offensive plays like these are all very well, I suppose. But I think what a true aficionado of Blue Devil basketball really relishes is the great defensive plays. Chris Duhon taking out the timekeepers table, etc.

And I have a very recent event to nominate in consideration for a highlights reel of all time great Blue Devil defensive plays. I thought that save over the end line by Brian Zoubek yesterday was just spectacular. (And I don’t want to hear any terping about the fact that he has a foot advantage over others for reaching a ball that is going out of play.)

aimo
03-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Johnny D's block on David Rivers. I WAS THERE!!!

devildeac
03-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Shane Battier

Joe Forte

"gazelle on the horizon", IIRC

roywhite
03-16-2009, 02:56 PM
http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1021974/index.htm

Classic Shane Battier defensive play as he ran down Joe Forte on a breakaway and came up with the block.

calltheobvious
03-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Battier's block of Forte's dunk attempt at Chapel Hill in 2001. Exquisite.

Battier's block of Gardner in the NCAAC game. Exquisiter.

fan345678
Shane Battier block & save vs. Arizona in 2001 title game
Grant Hill taking a charge at halfcourt vs. Florida in 1994 Final Four

CardinalBlue
Battier's block on Jason Gardner in the 2001 finals leading to the third Dunleavy three is definitely up there.

Also, Battier's block from behind on Joe Forte's breakaway dunk in the final game of the regular season.

Edit: Hah in the 1 minute it took me to post this, I guess a few others had the same idea...

Duvall
03-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Don't forget about Shane Battier blocking Joe Forte on a runout in 2001.

hedgehog
03-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Billy King's domination of Mark Macon, East Regional Finals, 1988
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=24141

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=940DE2D81230F934A15750C0A96E9482 60&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all

Grant Hill shutting down the Big Dog, 3/26/94

C. Laettner outplaying Shaq, 2/10/91

Battier's block and J-Will steal in the 10 point miracle comeback

and of course Battier running down Forte like he was hunting a gazelle

hedgehog
03-16-2009, 03:18 PM
also, Chief with 10 blocks on 3/11/94 seems pretty good

battier setting the record for charges taken 11/21/98 against SC State
http://www.sportsstats.com/duke/game/1999/game3.html

The team blocking 17 shots 1/10/99
http://www.sportsstats.com/duke/game/1999/game16.html

OldPhiKap
03-16-2009, 03:19 PM
Billy King's domination of Mark Macon, East Regional Finals, 1988

I opened this thread just to post the same thing. So I guess I'll go with Tommy Amaker on any other pg. Kenny Smith said that Tommy was the only guy he had to turn his back on to get the ball up the court.

BlueintheFace
03-16-2009, 03:28 PM
JJ Redick 2005 @CIS. Duke up 1 on Carolina. Carolina has the ball with just enough time to run one last play (~10 seconds).

JJ is on Rashad, sees the offensive set, then realizes that they were about to run the same play that they had beaten Uconn on in the closing seconds of a game weeks earlier. He lets Rashad go to use a screen to cut backdoor and jumps the passing lane when Rashad reverses to cut back up for the pass.

PLAY FOILED... felton panicks and dribbles the ball into the corner... time runs out and Carolina doesn't get a shot off

This is exactly the kind of intelligent defense that makes Duke players great defenders.

DankeShane
03-16-2009, 03:37 PM
^^^ see: avatar

roywhite
03-16-2009, 03:41 PM
In the 10-point final minute comeback against Maryland at College Park, the game went into overtime. The game ended with Shane blocking a shot by Juan Dixon.

vlove
03-16-2009, 03:42 PM
Focusing on single plays, rather than great overall performances, here are a few more:

- Quin Snyder breaking up a 2 on 1 UNC fast break very, very late in the 88 ACC Tourney Title game;

- from the 88 Temple/Mark Macon game, Alaa Abdelnaby going headfirst into the crowd a la Zou yesterday trying to track down a loose ball. He wasn't succesful, but his teammates darted over to pick him up, sparking a run which helped Duke pull away from a Temple squad that for my money was probably the class of the nation that year;

- 97, Chris Carrawell basically swallowing a Tony Rutland layup off the glass to hold off a comeback @Wake & go on to break a long losing streak against the Deacs

- Elton at Cole Field House in 99 against Mike Mardesich (sp)- basically took an attempted dunk by Mardesich out of his hands like a parent grabbing a toy from their kid once playtime ends;

- 2002, Mike Dunleavy forcing a held ball against ND with a minute to go in a hard fought NCAA round of 32 game

Indoor66
03-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Gene Banks' block

BlueintheFace
03-16-2009, 03:47 PM
COUNTLESS Shelden Williams blocks at the end of games (2006 ACC championship included)

1999ballboy
03-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Not really a single play, but in the 2006 home Virginia game I remember Sean Dockery playing some of the best 1 on 1 D I've ever seen against Sean Singletary in the first 5 minutes of the game. He forced several turnovers in a row, and UVA was sort of stunned from that point on.

hurleyfor3
03-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Gene Banks' block

Buck Williams in the 1980 ACC championship game, right?

I'm going to nominate a team one: the 47-second shot clock violation near the end of the '91 Unlv game

phaedrus
03-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Not really a single play, but in the 2006 home Virginia game I remember Sean Dockery playing some of the best 1 on 1 D I've ever seen against Sean Singletary in the first 5 minutes of the game. He forced several turnovers in a row, and UVA was sort of stunned from that point on.

Amazing that you remember that, when all I can remember is 40 points, 13 shots.

DeepBlue70
03-16-2009, 05:41 PM
When Snyder was playing point and we were in the NCAAs vs Georgetown, USAToday carried a color picture of him on the front page of the sports section at the apex of his jump, fully extended, blocking a Gtown player's shot. Marvelous pic. Had it posted next to my desk for several years. Anyone remember who the Hoya was?

miramar
03-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Robert Brickey comes out of nowhere to tip Jeff Lebo's shot to preserve a Duke victory over Carolina, I believe in 1988.

gwwilburn
03-16-2009, 06:24 PM
JJ Redick 2005 @CIS. Duke up 1 on Carolina. Carolina has the ball with just enough time to run one last play (~10 seconds).

JJ is on Rashad, sees the offensive set, then realizes that they were about to run the same play that they had beaten Uconn on in the closing seconds of a game weeks earlier. He lets Rashad go to use a screen to cut backdoor and jumps the passing lane when Rashad reverses to cut back up for the pass.

PLAY FOILED... felton panicks and dribbles the ball into the corner... time runs out and Carolina doesn't get a shot off

This is exactly the kind of intelligent defense that makes Duke players great defenders.
I'm pretty sure you're confusting JJ with Daniel Ewing.

pfrduke
03-16-2009, 06:39 PM

Nope, it was Redick. I remember it as well.

dairedevil
03-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Patrick Davidson manhandles Chris Paul on the opening play, and "walks in" to Duke lore!!!!!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=200502200173

gwwilburn
03-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Here's a link., under the title UNC vs DUKE CLOCK ERROR 2005 or something like that, :(. Can't tell if this is it or not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR1_uEXHXo0

pfrduke
03-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Here's a link., under the title UNC vs DUKE CLOCK ERROR 2005 or something like that, :(. Can't tell if this is it or not.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR1_uEXHXo0

Ewing was on the ballhandler (Felton). Redick was on McCants off-screen left. The part where Felton goes to pass left, then stops and spins because McCants was completely covered, was entirely attributable to Redick smelling out the play and blowing it up.

gwwilburn
03-16-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks. Now I understand. :)

ArnieMc
03-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Elliot Williams stealing inbounds pass after inbounds pass against Wake.

lifelongdevil
03-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Patrick Davidson manhandles Chris Paul on the opening play, and "walks in" to Duke lore!!!!!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=200502200173

One of my personal favorites, being in the crowd and hearing them announce Davidson as a starter. I believe this was the same game where Paul later cried on the bench.(?)

Tom B.
03-17-2009, 11:46 AM
1994 vs. UNC in Cameron -- UNC would win the game, but Grant Hill had an amazing play in the first half where he broke up a 4-on-1 fast break by himself.

1991 National Semifinal vs. UNLV -- Brian Davis drawing a charge on Greg Anthony for his fifth foul. When Duke rallied and took the lead late, UNLV's leader was on the bench.

1997 at Wake Forest -- Chris Carrawell blocking and pinning Tony Rutland's shot against the backboard late in the game. He not only blocked the shot, he recovered the loose ball and started a break the other way that ended in a basket that gave Duke a slim working margin, which held up. That win stopped Wake's nine-game win streak against Duke dating back to Rodney Rogers' huge game in Cameron in 1993. If Wake had won that game, then Tim Duncan would have gone undefeated for his career against Duke.

2001 at Maryland -- Shane Battier and Jason Williams trapping Drew Nicholas on the sideline and stealing the ball from him not once, but twice in the closing minute. After the first steal, Jason nailed a three-pointer that cut Maryland's lead to five. After the second steal, Duke ran its offense and got an open three for Dunleavy, which he missed, but Nate James was fouled going for a tip-in, and hit the two free throws to tie the game.

camion
03-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Zoubs stuffing Alabi last weekend. :)

DukeDevilDeb
03-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Nope, it was Redick. I remember it as well.

I remember that too because I had him in class that semester. JJ wasn't necessarily known for defense... but that was one that was great. He said he remembered the play from having seen them use it before.

The value of tape!

johnb
03-17-2009, 03:09 PM
I'd go with Alonzo Mourning's defense on Phil Henderson. Henderson was razor thin and Mourning was easily the dominant defensive player in college bball (though he did have a teammate named Dikembe who wasn't bad at blocking shots either).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbIxFvMmcmc

madscavenger
06-16-2009, 05:13 AM
We need to have a similar Top 5 thread for plays on DEFENSE. Afterall, those plays are more exciting (IMO) and more Duke. There are obvious gems like Johnny Dawkins' stuffing Notre Dame's David Rivers (the River of tears shot) and Billy King essentially snuffing out Marc Macon's ego and career (poor kid - he ran into the King). It might be difficult coming up with a full load, but hey, who cares - take a shot. Maybe we should stick to individual plays. Dunno, i'll leave that up to you.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Dawkins stuffing Rivers is No. 1. King stopping Macon is classic. Battier in the 2001 final game is right there. And wasn't it JJ who stepped out and stopped carolina's final play in the win his senior year in Cameron?

PomPomGirl
06-16-2009, 09:26 AM
We could probably have a Top 5 all-Battier edition for defense. Remember his ridiculous come-from-behind block of Forte at Carolina in 2001?

CLT Devil
06-16-2009, 10:05 AM
We could probably have a Top 5 all-Battier edition for defense. Remember his ridiculous come-from-behind block of Forte at Carolina in 2001?

^
I know its one of the more recent ones...but thats got to be up there. Speaking of Battier, how about when K pulled everyone back on D while Maryland shot FTs in the 2001 Semis, Battier was the only Dukie left at the line for us...and against 5 MD rebounders came up with the missed FT?!?!? Awesome.

I don't have any stats to back it up, but do remember Laettner handling this really large guy from LSU who had been dominating in the tourney...

Stray Gator
06-16-2009, 10:21 AM
March 2, 1968. Not a single play, but Joe Kennedy's defensive performance against UNC's All-American Larry Miller through the three overtime periods was, IMO, every bit as impressive and instrumental to Duke's victory over Carolina as Freddy Lind's legendary heroics coming off the bench after Mike Lewis fouled out.

The Gordog
06-16-2009, 10:30 AM
We need to have a similar Top 5 thread for plays on DEFENSE. Afterall, those plays are more exciting (IMO) and more Duke. There are obvious gems like Johnny Dawkins' stuffing Notre Dame's David Rivers (the River of tears shot) and Billy King essentially snuffing out Marc Macon's ego and career (poor kid - he ran into the King). It might be difficult coming up with a full load, but hey, who cares - take a shot. Maybe we should stick to individual plays. Dunno, i'll leave that up to you.

Top 5 Duke defenders:
1. The Landlord. He had to make up for more mediocre defenders than any of the others.
2. Shane
3. Billy King
4. Grant
5. Johnny D./ Hurley / Wojo

Billy Dat
06-16-2009, 10:50 AM
-The team D Duke played in the regional final in 1994 against Purdue, specifically Big Dog Robinson, was fantastic. I remember specifically him getting into the lane, seeing some rare daylight, offering up a floater that the Chief came over and swatted away. The Dog's shoulder's slumped in defeat and Duke marched on to Charlotte.

-Markie's steal in the closing seconds against Belmont in 2008

jimsumner
06-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Number one, IMO, is the job Vince Taylor did on Kyle Macy at the end of the Duke-Kentucky game in the 1980 NCAAs.

Mike Gminski blocked shots on three consecutive possessions down the stretch in the NCAAs against Penn in 1978.

The great defensive job Kenny Dennard did on Buck Williams at the end of the 1980 ACCT title game.

Okay, I'm joking about the last one. Sort of.

fan345678
06-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Grant Hill taking a charge at midcourt in the waning moments of the 1994 national semifinal against Florida

MChambers
06-16-2009, 08:46 PM
Grant Hill taking a charge at midcourt in the waning moments of the 1994 national semifinal against Florida

I remember Tony Lang taking that charge.

sagegrouse
06-16-2009, 10:03 PM
JJ strips DJ Strawberry under the UMd basket to preserve a win.

sagegrouse
'Exploring some new habitat in Costa Rica'

Jarhead
06-16-2009, 10:26 PM
JJ strips DJ Strawberry under the UMd basket to preserve a win.

sagegrouse
'Exploring some new habitat in Costa Rica'

JJ did another good job on defense. It was the game against Carolina a couple of years ago. I don't remember all of the details, but at the end of the game Duke had gone up by one point over Carolina with only a few seconds left. Carolina put the ball ion bounds, and called a timeout at the midcourt line. Roy set up a play. JJ was covering the key man, and just wouldn't let the him get that inbound pass. Carolina had to switch gears, and in the process didn't get a shot off. Chalk one up for denial defense, and JJ Redick.

fan345678
06-16-2009, 10:58 PM
I remember Tony Lang taking that charge.

You remember correctly: http://www.nytimes.com/1994/04/03/sports/ncaa-tournament-duke-comes-back-for-another-final-examination.html

Whatever...I was 13 and a Wake fan at the time...just happened to be cheering for Duke