PDA

View Full Version : What will you consider a successful tournament?

CameronBornAndBred
03-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Ok, obviously nobody considers the last two years tournament successes, but since it's been a while now, what will you personally consider to be a successful run for this team? Of course we all want them to win the whole thing, but keep in mind that's not what the question is.

Kim*
03-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Of course we all want them to win the whole thing, but keep in mind that's not what the question is.
With that in mind, I would be pretty satisfied with an Elite Eight appearance.

BlueintheFace
03-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Elite Eight would meet my expectations for a team with this talent level, with these pieces, and still developing. Everything else would be gravy for me.

That doesn't mean I won't break something, like i do every year, when we lose and wonder why we couldn't have gone all the way.

jlear
03-16-2009, 12:37 PM
I would be satisfied with making it to the Elite Eight, but success that has to be the final four for me.

bjornolf
03-16-2009, 12:39 PM
I will be very happy with a sweet 16 or an elite 8, depending on how we go down if we go down. If we play a great game and just don't have the horses, I'll be satisfied. If we play like we did against Clemson, I'll be very angry and unsatisfied. Anything beyond the elite 8 and I'll be elated.

jjasper0729
03-16-2009, 12:45 PM
I agree with bjornolf... if we play as best we can and get beat, I'm okay with that. If we tank when we could play better, then I won't be very happy.

Naturally I want to win the whole thing, but as long as we play as hard as we can in every game we play, leave everything out on the court, then I don't have any issues.

Chard
03-16-2009, 12:54 PM
More than likely Duke would face Pitt in the EE after defeating Villanova. That one could go either way.

roywhite
03-16-2009, 12:58 PM
We're only 2 wins away from a 30-win season.

I'd also consider that a significant sign of success for this season.

missfinch
03-16-2009, 01:09 PM
I will be very happy with a sweet 16 or an elite 8, depending on how we go down if we go down. If we play a great game and just don't have the horses, I'll be satisfied. If we play like we did against Clemson, I'll be very angry and unsatisfied. Anything beyond the elite 8 and I'll be elated.

I agree, but think that anything short of a regional final will be viewed (and talked about) by most as another tournament bust for us as a 2 seed.

(As a side note, and potential thread-jack, when did "elite 8" become part of the tournament lexicon and why? If we're using nicknames for every round, not just the survivors of each 2-game weekend, why not "sensational 64""thrilling 32" or "terrific 2"?)

miramar
03-16-2009, 03:30 PM
(As a side note, and potential thread-jack, when did "elite 8" become part of the tournament lexicon and why? If we're using nicknames for every round, not just the survivors of each 2-game weekend, why not "sensational 64""thrilling 32" or "terrific 2"?)

Apparently this comes from Illinois high school basketball and it is actually a phrase from the 1950s. But IIRC, the Final Four and the Sweet Sixteen (also from Illinois) were used to refer to the NCAA Tournament before the phrase Elite Eight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite_Eight

BlueintheFace
03-16-2009, 03:32 PM
... I also want to add. If Duke plays their guts out and just loses to a team that hits more big shots (no matter what round), I will be satisfied. I just want to see a lot of heart in every game.

pamtar
03-16-2009, 03:39 PM
1st runner up is still a loser.

Being a loser is not the definition of success.

All the way baby.

Matches
03-16-2009, 03:40 PM
I just want to see the team play well. I think if the team plays to its capabilties we will be fine.

throatybeard
03-16-2009, 03:41 PM

Good call. For some reason, I've always found "Elite Eight" irritating, so I always say "region final." I have no idea why.

Cell-R
03-16-2009, 03:46 PM
I would have to go with Elite 8...

I'm glad that nobody has voted for the Championship Game though :D
If we get that far, I won't feel satisfied if we don't win it all!

CameronBornAndBred
03-16-2009, 03:58 PM
I would have to go with Elite 8...

I'm glad that nobody has voted for the Championship Game though :D
If we get that far, I won't feel satisfied if we don't win it all!
I dunno, when I was younger the way I looked at making the big game was we had traveled as far as we could. No matter if we won or lost no other team besides the two that were playing could say that. Also, I think once you get there, you have to look at the competition. I'd say UNLV our first go at it was a good example, UNLV was dominant that year and nobody expected Duke to win, although I hated the way we lost. You could easily argue that is faulty however, when in the next year we played them and everyone expected another defeat, we won.
P.S. A side note, I think any women's team that faces UCONN in the finals this year will have a similar scenario as us vs. that 1st UNLV team.

Ignatius07
03-16-2009, 04:03 PM
... I also want to add. If Duke plays their guts out and just loses to a team that hits more big shots (no matter what round), I will be satisfied. I just want to see a lot of heart in every game.

I see what you mean, but if Binghamton goes lights out and beat us in the first round, I will in no way be satisfied. Losing anytime in the first weekend (for the third year in a row) would be a colossal disappointment despite the potential obstacle of UT.

I'd be disappointed if our season ended in the Sweet 16 (since I think we are a far superior team to UCLA, VCU, and Villanova), but not heartbroken.

So I chose Elite 8, though I think we very well could beat Pitt or anybody else from the top half of the East.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-16-2009, 04:16 PM
It would be great to play to our seed, with the understanding that seeds are pretty fluid within 1-2. If we lose to #15 Binghamton that would obviously be a disaster and a loss to the 7/10 team would be a significant upset. Once we hit the Sweet 16 and are playing against (presumably) #3 'Nova we need to show well. If 'Nova plays or shoots amazingly well and wins, but we go down firing I can live with that. Similarly, if we make it to (again, assuming chalk) #1 Pitt I'll be happy with a good game. Anything beyond that, we've significantly overachieved and it's all gravy.

All of this, of course, subject to the caveat that if we meet UNC in the FF all bets are off. Duke and UNC must never meet in the FF. Losing that game would have to be the most traumatic sports loss that any fan could imagine.

Johnboy
03-16-2009, 04:45 PM

I agree with this sentiment. I voted Sweet Sixteen, as I think that's the point (IMO) where we're playing with house money. I honestly think we have what it takes to win it all, but I won't be too disappointed if we play really well, really hard, and get beat by a better team - after the Sweet Sixteen. We're ACC Champs - better than Binghamton, Texas and Minnesota. I can see other teams in our bracket having a big day and taking us out after that, but I'm guessing we're looking pretty scary to them, too, if they're foolish enough to be looking ahead.

This is where I'm publicly setting my expectations, but I know seeing this team lose would really hurt at this point, so let's just win the whole darn thing.

Cell-R
03-16-2009, 05:18 PM
I dunno, when I was younger the way I looked at making the big game was we had traveled as far as we could. No matter if we won or lost no other team besides the two that were playing could say that. Also, I think once you get there, you have to look at the competition. I'd say UNLV our first go at it was a good example, UNLV was dominant that year and nobody expected Duke to win, although I hated the way we lost. You could easily argue that is faulty however, when in the next year we played them and everyone expected another defeat, we won.
P.S. A side note, I think any women's team that faces UCONN in the finals this year will have a similar scenario as us vs. that 1st UNLV team.

That's a great point. I've never thought of it that way. I still feel like i'd be more disappointed to lose in the championship game than the final four or elite eight. It just seems like it's harder to lose once you've made it to the end of the tournament, and the national championship is right there for the taking. I wasn't watching Duke basketball at the time of the UNLV game, although I get your point. I can't think of any teams that are so dominant this year that we wouldn't stand a chance against them though, although I haven't watched much of Louisville...

_Gary
03-16-2009, 05:30 PM
I guess I just don't believe in setting the bar too low. I almost clicked Elite 8 as my vote for "successful", but then thought the better of it and actually chose Final Four. First off, I can't believe anyone would think a Sweet 16 is good enough for this particular team to qualify as a "Successful" Tournament run. Remember, the poll isn't asking you to judge the entire season, but simply the "Tournament Run". And if that's as far as Duke gets, it's more a bust than a success by any measure. Again, I almost selected Elite 8, but if we get there and lose then we've only lived up to our seeding, and not succeeded it. So I just can't see how that's a success either. Is it really nice? Yes. Is it better than recent teams have done? Yes. But is it really a "successful" tourney for us if that's as far as we advance? Just getting to the spot the seeding says we should get to? Not to my way of thinking.

It's Final Four or bust for me. I believe this team has that type of capability and that's where the line is drawn for me on whether or not this upcoming Tournament is a successful one for Duke.

stals
03-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Ok, obviously nobody considers the last two years tournament successes, but since it's been a while now, what will you personally consider to be a successful run for this team? Of course we all want them to win the whole thing, but keep in mind that's not what the question is.

Success is winning the NC. I'll be proud of the team no matter how far they go.

dukestheheat
03-16-2009, 06:51 PM
We have the athletes, the coach AND the momentum for a Final Eight run. PLUS, Duke is battle-tested.

Let's do this.

dth.

mgtr
03-16-2009, 06:52 PM
I picked the final four, and my logic was as follows. If you get that far, with the parity of teams these days, you are in two coin clip games. In other words, you have a shot to win the national championship, but a lot of luck is involved. In addition, some smarts come into play (remember Michigan [Webber] calling a timeout they didn't have?). I would like our chances against any two teams in the final four.

Jeffrey
03-16-2009, 06:53 PM
I think we're a strong #2 seed (especially after winning the ACC tourney) and Elite 8 is a reasonable expectation. This team is coming on strong at the right time of the year and moving Jon to the point has been far wiser than I predicted. This team is a lot fresher than we've been in March for at least three years and Coach K is showing more desire than I recall in a very long time. I definitely think we have Elite 8 potential.

sivartrenrag
03-16-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm just hoping we get the chance to play UNC in the FF.

If we were to beat them in the FF, I would wear an entire Duke kit for at least a month.

dubayuw
03-16-2009, 07:10 PM
I can't think of any teams that are so dominant this year that we wouldn't stand a chance against them though, although I haven't watched much of Louisville...

Louisville is extremely overrated. They won the big east b/c uconn and pitt beat up on each other and they won the tourny b/c uconn and pitt lost early. They've lost to Minnesota, UNLV, Western KY, and ND by 30.

sleepybear
03-16-2009, 07:23 PM
I would consider an Elite Eight to be progress and The Final Four to be success. Anything more would be gravy IMO. I hope we will play UNC in the final four.

SoCalDukeFan
03-16-2009, 07:23 PM
It is too bad that the measure of success in college basketball is how you do in the NCAA Tournament.

I think winning the ACC Tournament was a great accomplishment. However Roy kind of blew it off and did has best to save Lawson for the NCAA's.

I think I will be disappointed if we do not get to the Sweet Sixteen, very happy if we go to the Final Four, overjoyed if we beat UNC-CH in the FF game, and downright beside myself if we win it all.

SoCal

Ignatius07
03-16-2009, 07:43 PM
I guess I just don't believe in setting the bar too low. I almost clicked Elite 8 as my vote for "successful", but then thought the better of it and actually chose Final Four. First off, I can't believe anyone would think a Sweet 16 is good enough for this particular team to qualify as a "Successful" Tournament run. Remember, the poll isn't asking you to judge the entire season, but simply the "Tournament Run". And if that's as far as Duke gets, it's more a bust than a success by any measure. Again, I almost selected Elite 8, but if we get there and lose then we've only lived up to our seeding, and not succeeded it. So I just can't see how that's a success either. Is it really nice? Yes. Is it better than recent teams have done? Yes. But is it really a "successful" tourney for us if that's as far as we advance? Just getting to the spot the seeding says we should get to? Not to my way of thinking.

It's Final Four or bust for me. I believe this team has that type of capability and that's where the line is drawn for me on whether or not this upcoming Tournament is a successful one for Duke.

I certainly agree this team has the capability to make the Final Four. And I would have said there was no way this team would lose in the first weekend until I saw Texas (though I still think we'd beat them).

The reason I chose Elite 8 is because if we made it that far, we'd have done exactly what chalk predicted. We would have made our furthest run in the tourney since 2004. While a Final Four would be absolutely huge, I think an Elite 8 would be enough to stem some of the negative press Duke gets about failing in March.

DukeChapel'90
03-16-2009, 07:46 PM
I really believe that the better measure of success will be if we look at the last game we play and say we played really well - win or lose. This team has improved all year. The players have improved all year. If we lose to a team with superior talent or depth, but we play to our best ability, then that is a success.

Still I want to win it all and I truly believe that this team is capable of winning it all. Every team has a flaw. "EXPERTS" seem to magnify ours by saying we have no low post. Yet, we have beaten teams with far better low post play because we better take advantage of their flaws than they do ours.

I will put Duke as Champion on my bracket and I don't think it is a far reach. In past years I have put them there as a hope more than prediction. This year I put them there with conviction! :)

MarkD83
03-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Win the ACC Championship (8 of the last 11 by the way) and go as far as UNC.

dukebluelemur
03-17-2009, 04:08 AM
Poll needs an option: "Farther than Carolina"

Practically speaking, there's no way that means anything less than Sweet Sixteen. (And if for some reason Lawson doesn't play the second game this week, that may be their best chance to lose :( )

ice-9
03-17-2009, 04:55 AM
Semantics of what can be considered a success aside, for me:

Sweet Sixteen: Did not meet expectations
Elite Eight: Just met expectations
Final Four: Exceeded expectations
Runner-Up: Giddy
Champion: Break out the bubbles!!

If we had a weak one seed in our bracket, I might have expected us to get to the Final Four. But Pitt is a very strong team, probably the second best team all season behind UNC, so if we lose to them I wouldn't be all that heartbroken.

The above assumes that things go to seed. For example, if in the Elite Eight we faced Tennessee instead of Pittsburgh, I would expect us to win. At that point, not reaching the Final Four would be a disappointment.

Losing in the first weekend though would be a disaster. I don't even think I can visit this website if we lose this weekend.

DUKIE V(A)
03-17-2009, 06:37 AM
For me, this has already been a successful season. A successful tournament will be making at least the Sweet Sixteen and playing well. IF we lose, it will hurt like always, but it would be more painful than usual as I think this team is playing well and with a few breaks can go very far. I love that we are a bit under the radar. I think we are going to surprise a lot of people.

CameronBornAndBred
03-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Losing in the first weekend though would be a disaster. I don't even think I can visit this website if we lose this weekend.
It would not surprise me if you wouldn't be able to.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-17-2009, 09:38 AM
Coach K has his eye on the big prize!

BTW, we have already had a successful season. No reason for it to end early... :D

DukeDevilDeb
03-17-2009, 09:43 AM

The Clemson loss was more disappointing than anything I've seen in Duke basketball for 20 years... because we didn't play hard and we didn't play Duke basketball. If we play our hearts out and lose in the Sweet Sixteen to a "better team", I'm OK with that. I just want these guys to get a taste of the success they so much deserve!

bjornolf
03-17-2009, 12:34 PM
I think we might be OVERESTIMATING Carolina's chances. Who's word are we going on that Ty's going to be 100% by this weekend? Ty's? Roy's? He might have just said what he said to protect his team's number 1 seed. And if he plays hard on Thursday, who's to say it won't end just like it did against Duke (he has a great game but his toe swells up and he's in a boot again)? You can only inject the toe so many times in a short period without risking permanent damage. It'll be interesting to see how this progresses.

What are Carolina's chances if Ty can't play on Saturday? What are Carolina's chances if he becomes more and more hindered as the tournament progresses? Will underdogs try to stomp the foot (kind of like "sweep the leg")?

Carolina is a final four team with a healthy Ty. Without Ty or with a hobbled Ty, just how good are they? Is he willing to risk his long term health and playing ability for one tourney run? Maybe he is. He did it to beat Duke in a regular season game. I'm just saying, it might not be as hard to get farther than Carolina as many think it will be.

Chitowndevil
03-17-2009, 01:13 PM
I'll call it a successful tournament if we make the Elite 8. Duke has now gone four straight seasons without fulfilling its seed and, since the 2001 National Title run, has not beaten a team seeded higher than #5 in the NCAA Tournament. Particularly if Duke beats Villanova, if the game against Pitt is competitive I'll call it a success win or lose.

And by the way, to me asking "what makes a successful tournament?" is very different from "what makes a successful season?". If Duke makes the Sweet 16, they'll have won the ACC championship and put up 30 wins against one of the toughest schedules in the country. In this era of college basketball that is a fantastic season for any program.

-bdbd
03-17-2009, 01:20 PM
In my mind there's no doubt that this season has already been a success. Clearly Duke is on the road back to greatness (did we ever leave that road?) and future NCAA success. Next year, I expect us to be a preason top-4 squad, if all undergrad starters return, with at least 2 McD AA's (PF's!) arriving as well.

But to beat back those "nattering nabobs of negativity" we need to meet our seeding "expectations." As a #2 regional seed that means making the Elite 8. Beyond that I will be thrilled with.

But there's no reason a National Championship isn't well within our grasp. IOW, "satisfied" means only one thing -- a National Championship #4!!!

Sagarin has us as the 4th most likely team to win the NC. If I'm Pitt, I'm worried - really worried - about facing Duke. Of course, we gotta win them one at a time. But the signs are all good. And the thing that's bitten us in the heel the last few years - fatigue/no depth - clearly seems to be a thing of the past. (To that end, lets root for Minn-Texas Thursday to go to 6 OT's as well!)

Go Duke! 'am really looking forward to the next 2-3 weeks....

-BDBD :D

bjornolf
03-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Yeah, that would be awesome. I don't care who wins the Minnesota/Texas game, I just want it to be a multiple overtime game! Of course, that pushes our start time back, doesn't it?

CameronBornAndBred
03-17-2009, 01:33 PM
And by the way, to me asking "what makes a successful tournament?" is very different from "what makes a successful season?".
Yes it is, and it's why I asked it that way. If the season ended tomorrow, I'd say it's already been a success.

Chitowndevil
03-17-2009, 01:43 PM
Yes it is, and it's why I asked it that way. If the season ended tomorrow, I'd say it's already been a success.

I was pretty sure that was intentional, just pointing it out due to some of the other answers in the thread.

As usual for two days before the tournament, my emotions are too high to say for sure how I'd feel about the season if we lost to Binghamton. But I actually still think I'd be happy with this season. JJ and Shelden were special players, but as a group this is my favorite Duke team in quite some time.

Reddevil
03-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Winning it all one weekend at a time is the goal, but NC or bust is a bit silly. ACC Champions, a 30(+) win season, and the Regional Finals would great. Anything more is gravy. Also, the team that beats Duke has gone on to win it all several times, so if not Duke - go Pitt. This would of course mean that unc-at-large would not win, and we all know that anything less would be heartbraking for them, but they will have the Dean Dome nets to comfort them.

Rudy
03-17-2009, 05:22 PM
As long as they play hard I'll be happy for the season the team has had wherever they finish. Any team can get hot and beat a superior team. I learned that lesson in 1985 when Georgetown played Villanova in the final. Georgetown shot 54.7% from the field. Had Nova shot 71% G'town would have won. But Nova shot 78.4%, 9 for 10 in the second half and won 66-64.

That being said, I'll be surprised if they don't get to the Elite Eight and surprised if they beat Pitt to go beyond.

RockyMtnBlueDevil
03-17-2009, 05:49 PM
At Duke it's all about getting to the Final Four and competing for National Championships. Success means a trip to Detroit...

buzz
03-17-2009, 08:30 PM
An Elite 8 only meets seeding expectations and won't silence the naysayers from the past few years. Only a Final Four or better will do so, and hopefully the team will play with that mission in mind. It's not an unrealistic goal. Here's the rub - suppose Duke earns a trip to the Final Four and faces UNC. The measure of success changes at that point. Bowing out against the Tarholes is not an option.

Classof06
03-17-2009, 08:53 PM
I can't understand the people saying they'd be satisfied with a Sweet 16 or think that this season has already been a success. What!? Winning ACC Tourney titles are good, actually great. But at this school, you get measured by what you do in March; mid and late March. If the ACCT title is the end-all, be-all, then you need to go root for Georgia Tech or NC State.

Satisfied with a Sweet 16? Why? Because we haven't made it there in 2 years? Duke has at least 6 McDonald's AAs on their team. While that doesn't guarantee success, this team should not be flaming out in the Sweet 16, big man or no big man.

This team needs to make the Elite Eight to meet expectations, IMO. They need to beat Binghamton and really should be able to beat Texas or Minnesota. At that point, I think we should be able to beat Villanova as well.

I'm not saying we're definitely going to win these games but Duke fans need to get back to the idea of expecting to go deep. Not saying we should have a sense of entitlement (what ppl hate Duke fans for) but getting to the Sweet 16 is not something Duke fans should be viewing as a success.

Don't forget, before the 06-07 season (VCU year), Duke made 9 straight Sweet 16s. This is the pedigree I'm talking about. Regardless of the last two years.

mgtr
03-17-2009, 09:44 PM
I am disheartened to see that only about 1/3 of the respondents to the question (and they are, presumably, Duke fans) predict that Duke will finish in the final four or better. No, I say, no. Duke will definitely finish in the final four or better. Be of stout heart! This is not the Duke of the last several years who folded up like a cheap suitcase. This is the Duke of the three- legged stool. We will prevail. Go Duke.

CameronBornAndBred
03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
I am disheartened to see that only about 1/3 of the respondents to the question (and they are, presumably, Duke fans) predict that Duke will finish in the final four or better.
They are not predicting anything. They are saying they will not consider the tournament to have been a success unless Duke makes it that far. The majority are saying they will consider the tournament to have been a success if the team makes it to the Elite Eight.

Dr. Tina
03-17-2009, 10:24 PM
I think all of us would love to see Duke win the whole thing. I know I would. I think everyone will be beyond disappointed if they don't make it out of the first weekend. To me, getting to the 2nd weekend is a must. I think they can get to the Elite 8 and maybe even the Final Four, but they have to continue to play the way they have in their last two games and get some favorable matchups as things unfold. I do think Duke is capable of "shocking" people who are too quick to dismiss them.

gep
03-18-2009, 12:24 AM
I guess for me, the last 5-6 games in the regular season, and the ACCT championship makes the *season* satisfying. That being said, for NCAAT, I think the Elite 8 will be as satisfying tournament. The Final 4 will be a successful tournament. But, I'm hoping with all hope that the Duke doesn't lose another game to the end:D

ncexnyc
03-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Louisville is extremely overrated. They won the big east b/c uconn and pitt beat up on each other and they won the tourny b/c uconn and pitt lost early. They've lost to Minnesota, UNLV, Western KY, and ND by 30.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we lose to Clemson by 27?

sweetchiba51
03-18-2009, 01:05 AM
Elite 8 or Sweet 16 some of you would be satisfied???? National Champions or bust! WE ARE DUKE!!! Since when were we satisfied for anything less than a championship? This team can win it!!

ncexnyc
03-18-2009, 01:08 AM
Based on the way the final month of the season played out I would expect us to reach the Elite Eight. Even when everyone isn't clicking they've managed to pull games out and that is the mark of a good team.

I'm also surprised that so many people consider Pitt a vastly superior team to Duke. What was the final score of last year's game? It wasn't like they blew us out of the water. If we don't run into a career game from anyone we come up against I like our chances.

bjornolf
03-18-2009, 09:11 AM
I think we lost by 1 in OT, IIRC.

davekay1971
03-18-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm gonna decline to pick a round. I know that's very curmudgeonly (made up word, probably spelled wrong, I blame the Patron from last night...God bless the Mexican-Irish, a small, but extremely fun, ethnic group). Duke could lose to Villanova and I'd consider it a successful tournament if the team plays well all 3 games. I think, if we play well, we should make it to the 2nd weekend. But we could play very well and still come up short against 'Nova or Pitt, if those teams have a great game too (though I think, if both teams play their best, we beat than Nova). I'd love to see us in the final four. We have that potential. But so do Nova and Pitt.

davekay1971
03-18-2009, 10:06 AM
I can't understand the people saying they'd be satisfied with a Sweet 16 or think that this season has already been a success. What!? Winning ACC Tourney titles are good, actually great. But at this school, you get measured by what you do in March; mid and late March. If the ACCT title is the end-all, be-all, then you need to go root for Georgia Tech or NC State.

Satisfied with a Sweet 16? Why? Because we haven't made it there in 2 years? Duke has at least 6 McDonald's AAs on their team. While that doesn't guarantee success, this team should not be flaming out in the Sweet 16, big man or no big man.

This team needs to make the Elite Eight to meet expectations, IMO. They need to beat Binghamton and really should be able to beat Texas or Minnesota. At that point, I think we should be able to beat Villanova as well.

I'm not saying we're definitely going to win these games but Duke fans need to get back to the idea of expecting to go deep. Not saying we should have a sense of entitlement (what ppl hate Duke fans for) but getting to the Sweet 16 is not something Duke fans should be viewing as a success.

Don't forget, before the 06-07 season (VCU year), Duke made 9 straight Sweet 16s. This is the pedigree I'm talking about. Regardless of the last two years.

May be a matter of what you hope versus what you expect. I think it's pretty unfair to the kids on our team for us, who contribute nothing to the actual effort of making a great team, to expect the team to make it to this or that round in the tournament. I'm grateful that, as a Duke fan, I've been able to watch so many final fours, so many ACC championships, and 3 national championships. But I did absolutely nothing (even when I was a student screaming my lungs out at Cameron) to make that happen. I'm a recipient of the gift of Coach K's efforts in building and maintaining a top program. So, sure, I hope we make the final four every year. I hate seeing us lose. I cuss the TV when we get hosed by the refs or our guys make a bonehead play. But in the end, since the vast majority of us are doing absolutely nothing of substance to contribute to the success of the program, how can be legitimately have a right to EXPECT a certain level of success?