PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v. Binghamton Pre-game and In-game thread

gofurman
03-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Perhaps this belongs in the region thread but I thought each opponent (let's hope we have more than one) deserves it's own thread:
pt r
D.J. Rivera F 20.0 6.5 1.1 ... 6'4 190 junior
Dwayne Jackson G 11.7 3.8 0.9 . 6'3 200 senior
Malik Alvin G 11.7 3.1 3.8 .. 6'0 175 junior
Emanuel Mayben G 11.5 4.0 4.6 .. 6'3 180 junior
Reggie Fuller F 10.2 7.1 0.7 .. 6'6 200 senior

Looks like very balanced scoring...

They beat Vermont twice which is pretty impressive.

Very small - probably fast I imagine

all juniors and seniors / three G / two F

Dr. Tina
03-15-2009, 10:45 PM
I live in Binghamton and everyone is very excited around here. Our sports section had 4 or 5 pages on Binghamton's first NCAA tourney appearance today. That being said, I've only paid attention to them in the last 2 weeks when it was a good possibility they would get in. If I can find anything noteworthy to post, I will.

jipops
03-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Looks like a very difficult team to defend based on the stats. No cake walks.

Hopefully all our guys are healthy and focused going in.

FireOgilvie
03-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Dwayne Jackson was suspended and hasn't played since January... so we can go ahead and take his name off the board.

gofurman
03-15-2009, 11:03 PM
Dwayne Jackson was suspended and hasn't played since January... so we can go ahead and take his name off the board.

my fault - just grabbing numbers.

Fuller , Rivera , Alvin, and Mayben each seem to score pretty well and fairly evenly in the last few games.

Chretien Lukusa has replaced Dwayne Jackson and doesn't look to be as much of a threat as the other four guys.

Now that I look at last few games they only play about 6 deep.

BlueintheFace
03-15-2009, 11:07 PM
I think Carolina has the second game of the day in Greensboro and Duke has the last.

1) 12:20: LSU v Butler
2) ~3:00: UNC v Radford
3) 7:10: Texas v Minnesota
4) ~9:45: Duke v Binghamton

Can somebody confirm that this is correct?

If so, this hopefully helps in terms of Carolina fans being there for the booing.

FireOgilvie
03-15-2009, 11:12 PM
I found an interesting article on their star player DJ Rivera. Apparently, he is the nephew of Hank Gathers...

http://www.bupipedream.com/current/index.php/articles/view/10779

There was also some controversy about DJ Rivera not getting POY for the America East Conference. Also very interesting.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/136702-binghamton-us-dj-rivera-gets-snubbed-as-america-east-player-of-the-year

jipops
03-15-2009, 11:14 PM
I think Carolina has the second game of the day in Greensboro and Duke has the last.

If so, this hopefully helps in terms of Carolina fans being there for the booing.

This doesn't bode well as the perpetually late arriving wine & cheese will just be nestling into their seats with 5 minutes left in the Radford game.

dukegirlinsc
03-15-2009, 11:16 PM

I saw on ESPN mobile today that Duke played at 11:59 am Thursday. I could be mistaken, though.

dukediv2013
03-15-2009, 11:47 PM
I saw on ESPN mobile today that Duke played at 11:59 am Thursday. I could be mistaken, though.

Here are all of the times:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ncaa/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2009mbkbracketdivision1.pdf

geraldsneighbor
03-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Is that correct that they don't start anyone over 6'6''?

CameronBornAndBred
03-15-2009, 11:56 PM
9:40 PM tip off time, bleah. That is horribly late, I'm hoping the silver lining will be the carolina fans will have no interest in staying up that late to cheer against us.

hurleyfor3
03-16-2009, 12:00 AM
The afternoon games (unc's regional) and evening games (our regional) are two separate tickets. A lot of unc folks will probably skip the night games. If we both make it to the next round, the booing will be worse.

-jk
03-16-2009, 12:02 AM
The afternoon games (unc's regional) and evening games (our regional) are two separate tickets. A lot of unc folks will probably skip the night games. If we both make it to the next round, the booing will be worse.

Separate tickets, but same book. I Fully expect a lot of unc/anti-Duke folks around.

-jk

OldPhiKap
03-16-2009, 12:07 AM
9:40 PM tip off time, bleah. That is horribly late, I'm hoping the silver lining will be the carolina fans will have no interest in staying up that late to cheer against us.

Having been in Atlanta for the last four days, I'd say this is wishful thinking. Unless we get up early and stomp hard.

BlueintheFace
03-16-2009, 12:35 AM
In the spirit of Ivan Drago...

WE MUST CRUSH THEM

We need to kick this tourney off in style and keep building on this confidence. Let's knock them OUT!

CallUsPaulus
03-16-2009, 01:15 AM
My good friend went to Binghamton, his half-informed scouting report is that they get a lot of their points off turnovers, particularly on the full court man press. He said they're not world-beaters in the half-court offensive set. Quick, no size.

I personally don't expect this one to be close. We're too good defensively this year for a team without a thriving half-court set to have a prayer.

pfrduke
03-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Duke presents a completely different talent level from what the Bearcats have seen all season. The only major conference opponent they played was Rutgers (to Binghamton's credit, they won) - otherwise, their non-conference schedule was ridiculously soft: non-DI Mansfield, GW, Central Connecticut, Utah Valley (twice), Quinnipiac, Bucknell, Manhattan, Rider, Tulane, and Marist. They played just 1 top 100 team - Vermont (and won twice, once in overtime, and once by 2). With that schedule and the America East conference slate, they simply haven't seen the kind of skill, speed, and athleticism that Duke can put on the floor. I think this is a great time to employ an aggressive press and try to run them out of the building early. Binghamton is reasonably good at avoiding turnovers (DJ Rivera in particular, whose 10.3% turnover rate is exceptional - 31st in the country), but again, they haven't faced a team that will try to turn them over like Duke does. The key will be to get them playing much faster than they want to be - sitting back in a half court defense and letting Binghamton get comfortable and run their offense would be a mistake.

I think Zoubek can be effective here - run four guys around the perimeter harassing their ball-handlers, and feed them into to our 7-footer down low to alter shots. Remember, in pre-conference play against smaller opponents, Zoubek played well, and our team's defense was at its best when he was in the game.

guybrush
03-16-2009, 01:41 AM
i've seen them playing vs Boston Un, they are a small, aggressive team, pretty fast but Rivera is the only one with some offensive talent, he's a lefty sharp shooter, very cocky guy.
But trust me, we shouldn't have many problems to defeat them unless we underrate them. We suffer vs big, physical teams and they're not.
Their only big man is a canadian lumberjack named Montgomery, a funny guy... :D

I respect them but we are going to win this one

COYS
03-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Duke presents a completely different talent level from what the Bearcats have seen all season. The only major conference opponent they played was Rutgers (to Binghamton's credit, they won) - otherwise, their non-conference schedule was ridiculously soft: non-DI Mansfield, GW, Central Connecticut, Utah Valley (twice), Quinnipiac, Bucknell, Manhattan, Rider, Tulane, and Marist. They played just 1 top 100 team - Vermont (and won twice, once in overtime, and once by 2). With that schedule and the America East conference slate, they simply haven't seen the kind of skill, speed, and athleticism that Duke can put on the floor. I think this is a great time to employ an aggressive press and try to run them out of the building early. Binghamton is reasonably good at avoiding turnovers (DJ Rivera in particular, whose 10.3% turnover rate is exceptional - 31st in the country), but again, they haven't faced a team that will try to turn them over like Duke does. The key will be to get them playing much faster than they want to be - sitting back in a half court defense and letting Binghamton get comfortable and run their offense would be a mistake.

I think Zoubek can be effective here - run four guys around the perimeter harassing their ball-handlers, and feed them into to our 7-footer down low to alter shots. Remember, in pre-conference play against smaller opponents, Zoubek played well, and our team's defense was at its best when he was in the game.

Thanks for the run-down. I'd also like to see a few more post-ups for Hendo near the block. His leaping ability and midrange touch should create any number of mismatches for the Bearcats. For that matter, a few post-ups for Singler would be great, too. It would be nice to have a few more of those plays in the bag down the road . . . not that I'm overlooking Binghamton. That being said, this year's Duke squad would have destroyed last year's March edition. Whether or not we get a blow-out victory, I certainly expect to see our guys play well. Even though we have the Thursday game, we should be pretty well rested and feeling good after an oh-so satisfying ACC tournament championship. Plus, forget the legions of Tools fans. Playing close to home will make us that much fresher. I personally can't wait for the madness to begin.

Jim3k
03-16-2009, 03:31 AM
Here is a lengthy exposition of what is happening there, in part due to a NYT writer named Peter Thamel, who seems to believe that Coach Kevin Broadus is compromising standards by bringing in some tramp/unsavory/unqualified athletes.

Tzvi Twersky of Slam OnLine discusses the issues, offering the standard defense. (http://slamonline.com/online/college-hs/college/2009/03/great-blue-times-at-binghamton-u/)

Saratoga2
03-16-2009, 06:17 AM
As I recall, this is the same Tikki Mayben who played in Troy, NY and who would have been fairly highly recruited, but had personal problems in his high school days.

NYC Duke Fan
03-16-2009, 07:05 AM
After last years Belmont game, Duke should never ever overlook any team.

GoingFor#5
03-16-2009, 09:27 AM
I think we should win easily. I believe we beat anyone who cannot hurt us on the inside so this one looks good. This team will not overlook them as they are playing with a bit of chip on their shoulder (a good thing).

Indoor66
03-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Separate tickets, but same book. I Fully expect a lot of unc/anti-Duke folks around.

-jk

Should be plenty of G-boro tickets around after the 1st ever 16 defeats 1 day in the tourney! :eek: :D

CMS2478
03-16-2009, 09:57 AM
Anybody know the pregame schedule the team will use this week? Will they take Monday off from practice and just watch film and scout their upcoming opponents and then practice light on Tuesday and Wed.? I have always been intrigued on how coaches prepare their teams with a short turnaround like we have. Surely we have to be a little fatigued and drained from the ACC tournament and hope Coach K uses these next few days to prepare the guys more mentally and let them rest some physically. I'm sure Coach K has done this enough times to know what's best, I was just curious if anybody kind of knows from past tournaments what the team's schedule is in preparing for the NCAA's?

CMS2478
03-16-2009, 12:36 PM
I guess everyone is done talking about Binghampton already???

arnie
03-16-2009, 12:53 PM
After last years Belmont game, Duke should never ever overlook any team.

Absolutely right - after reading the synopsis of Binghamton, I immediately though of Belmont from last year. Sounds like the teams may be similar.

gofurman
03-16-2009, 12:57 PM
As I recall, this is the same Tikki Mayben who played in Troy, NY and who would have been fairly highly recruited, but had personal problems in his high school days.

Mayben is the one who I think Syracuse wanted and another of their guys - I'll have to look - is a transfer who did well at UTEP as a freshman.

They seem to have taken the Juco / transfer route to get some talent quickly. Coach is only in his second year.

jjasper0729
03-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Is their #1 scorer the point or the two? They are guard heavy like Belmont last year and depending on how we clamp down on the perimeter could be a big determining factor

pfrduke
03-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Absolutely right - after reading the synopsis of Binghamton, I immediately though of Belmont from last year. Sounds like the teams may be similar.

They're similar only in the sense that they're small schools that start with "B" that have lots of guards. Stylistically, they're very different teams.

Belmont was a team that spread the floor, drove, and dished for threes. They structured their entire offense around the outside shot - 47.3% of their attempts were 3s, 7th most in the country. They also recorded assists on over 62% of their buckets, a very high ratio. They rarely drove all the way to the hoop, and never got to the line. Belmont shot the ball very well - an EFG% of .532.

Binghamton, by contrast, is not an outside shooting team (just 33.2% of their shots and 25.9% of their points from 3) nor a particularly good shooting team - .490 efg%, including .487 from 2 and .331 from 3. They're extremely vulnerable to offensive rebounding, letting opponents get 35.1% of their own misses (268th in the country), an area we should be able to exploit. They also send teams to the line a ton. Binghamton is actually quite a bit shorter than Belmont - in terms of "effective height" (height by minutes played by position), they're the second-shortest team in the tournament, and 301st in the country (Duke is 58th); no one over 6'6" gets more than 10 minutes per game (in the AE tournament, their two tall players played a combined total of 28 minutes in three games).

We match up really, really well with Binghamton. That's not to say we should look past them; they just don't do things that small conference teams usually do to upset high seeds (jack lots of threes, play junk zone defenses that slow the game down, etc.). Their weaknesses (poor shooting, poor rebounding, fouling) are things we can exploit, and even though they have reasonably strong turnover numbers on the season, I doubt they've faced perimeter defense like Duke, so I think we can be aggressive and turn them over as well.

roywhite
03-16-2009, 02:21 PM
http://www.greensborosports.com/2009/03/16/greensboro-coliseum-announces-ncaa-practice-schedules-free-to-the-public/

There are open practices Weds. 3/18 at the Greensboro Coliseum for all the teams in the pod.

Duke is scheduled from 5:10 PM to 5:50 PM.

OldSchool
03-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Here is a lengthy exposition of what is happening there, in part due to a NYT writer named Peter Thamel, who seems to believe that Coach Kevin Broadus is compromising standards by bringing in some tramp/unsavory/unqualified athletes.

Tzvi Twersky of Slam OnLine discusses the issues, offering the standard defense. (http://slamonline.com/online/college-hs/college/2009/03/great-blue-times-at-binghamton-u/)

The NYT article focuses blame on the players Broadus has brought in, but it also appears the prior coach brought in some unsavory players.

The former Binghamton center, Kovacevic, who has fled to his native Serbia to escape U.S. prosecution, was recruited by the prior coach:

Mr. Kovacevic was arrested on May 4 after a fight at a bar in Binghamton that left another State University at Binghamton student, Bryan Steinhauer, 22, of Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, unconscious with serious injuries. Mr. Steinhauer has not regained consciousness since the attack and remains in critical condition.

Officials said Mr. Kovacevic was at the bar when Mr. Steinhauer danced with a girlfriend of one of the men in Mr. Kovacevic’s group. An argument boiled over into a fight, and Mr. Kovacevic, who is 6 feet 9 inches tall and weighs 260 pounds, was said to have knocked out Mr. Steinhauer’s teeth and kicked him in the head. Mr. Steinhauer is 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighs 135 pounds.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/02/nyregion/02serb.html?scp=2&sq=Miladin Kovacevic barron&st=cse

Dwayne Jackson, who was suspended for a violation, was recruited by the prior coach. And I imagine at least some of the players who McBride said last season were drinking and getting high all the time were also brought in by the prior coach, since Broadus had only been hired prior to that season.

In mid-January, Broadus suspended the senior guard Dwayne Jackson indefinitely but would not reveal the violation. “I didn’t bring that kid in,” Broadus said.

Jackson did not respond to an e-mail message seeking comment, and his mother, Althea, said only that he was concentrating on earning his degree.

McBride, another player recruited by Broadus’s predecessor, Al Walker, had a spat with Broadus during a game at Vermont last season, left the bench and soon after left the team.

McBride said the off-court problems were not a surprise. He said Binghamton players last season often drank alcohol and smoked marijuana.

“I don’t recall there being any control off the court,” said McBride, who said he left because he was unhappy about his playing time and Broadus’s coaching style. “I just think that wasn’t one of their concerns. I just think he trusted the players to uphold their own integrity. Obviously, that didn’t really work.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/22/sports/ncaabasketball/22binghamton.html?_r=1&em=&pagewanted=all

pfrduke
03-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Here are all of the times:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/ncaa/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2009mbkbracketdivision1.pdf

I see that the second round matchups are listed with two options in all cases - does that means that times will not be selected until after Thursday's games are finished (thus making it possible that we could play in the 2:45 game on Saturday (if we win) rather than the 5:15 game)?

Skitzle
03-16-2009, 02:59 PM
Tell me more about Texas.

From what I've read, they've got a great guard in AJ Abrams and a Good big man in Dexter Pittman.

Sounds kind of like FSU (one good G one good Big) to me, only they're not playing as well and don't have as good a team around them..

Or am I missing something

tbyers11
03-16-2009, 03:02 PM
I see that the second round matchups are listed with two options in all cases - does that means that times will not be selected until after Thursday's games are finished (thus making it possible that we could play in the 2:45 game on Saturday (if we win) rather than the 5:15 game)?

That's how I read it. CBS usually announces the game times for the next round right before they sign off for the night. Guess we won't be sure (if we win), if we play at 5:45 or 8:15 (had to switch back to Eastern, your Pacific times were messing with my head :)) until after the game is over.

Despite 2 hours less rest, I kind of hope we would get the earlier time slot on Saturday. Sitting around all day waiting is tough and all the UNC fans will hopefully be grabbing an early dinner rather than cheering against us for at least the first half. :D

MChambers
03-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Despite 2 hours less rest, I kind of hope we would get the earlier time slot on Saturday. Sitting around all day waiting is tough and all the UNC fans will hopefully be grabbing an early dinner rather than cheering against us for at least the first half. :D

I really want the earlier slot, since my wife and I agreed to go to a fundraiser Saturday night (featuring the Capitol Steps), but still . . . ARRGGGGHHH!

I want to enjoy every remaining minute of what has been a really fun season.

tbyers11
03-16-2009, 03:55 PM
As was guessed by many when we were placed in the same pod with the Tyler Hansbrough Farewell Tour sponsored by CBS, our game/s this weekend will be called by the CBS lead announcing team of Jim Nantz and Clark Kellogg.

Here is the list of all announcers and games (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Here-s-who-will-be-calling-your-game?urn=ncaab,148277). G-Man and Brando go to KC and get to call the Maryland and Clemson games. Bilas goes to Philly with Nova and UConn and Spanarkel goes to Miami with Wake.

Bob Green
03-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Guess we won't be sure (if we win), if we play at 5:45 or 8:15 (had to switch back to Eastern, your Pacific times were messing with my head :)) until after the game is over.

The correct game times are 6:45 or 9:15 Sunday morning. :D Just trying to help mess with your head.

pfrduke
03-16-2009, 05:17 PM
That's how I read it. CBS usually announces the game times for the next round right before they sign off for the night. Guess we won't be sure (if we win), if we play at 5:45 or 8:15 (had to switch back to Eastern, your Pacific times were messing with my head :)) until after the game is over.

Does anyone happen to know why they scheduled the Greensboro games to be so late? 8:15pm is the latest local tip-off for a second round game by a full three hours. As it stands, they currently have one game tipping at 1:05 (I'll stay eastern for you), two in the 3:20-3:35 range, three in the 5:40-5:50 range, and two in the 8:10-8:15 range. Going 1-3-3-1 (or even 2-2-3-1), and moving the Greensboro games up to the 3:20/5:50 slot, seems like it would have made more sense.

gwwilburn
03-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Tell me more about Texas.

From what I've read, they've got a great guard in AJ Abrams and a Good big man in Dexter Pittman.

Sounds kind of like FSU (one good G one good Big) to me, only they're not playing as well and don't have as good a team around them..

Or am I missing something

In their victory against Oklahoma, Abrams caught a little fire after starting slow and they played hooligan ball to give Griffin a concussion. Undoubtedly, this, along with some hometown cooking from the refs, led to their victory. They lost to Notre Dame by one, Arkansas by six, and Michigan State by four in non-conference play. There worst losses in conference play are Nebraska by three, KSU by four, and Texas A&M by 15. They, just like Kansas, are fresh off of a loss to Baylor in the Big 12 tournament. There top scorers are Abrams (16.3 ppg) and Damion James (6-7 SF, 15.4 ppg)

gofurman
03-16-2009, 11:25 PM
Mayben is the one who I think Syracuse wanted and another of their guys - I'll have to look - is a transfer who did well at UTEP as a freshman.

They seem to have taken the Juco / transfer route to get some talent quickly. Coach is only in his second year.

Here is a little scouting as far as where the players came from and injuries/dismissals:

"Binghamton's D.J. Rivera (star 6'4" 190) transferred from Saint Joseph's and led the Bearcats with 20 points a game. He should get shots against the Blue Devils. He might be the only one, but he still may be able to put up numbers in this game. "

Mayben (6'3" 180), one of their stars, did indeed originally sign with Syracuse
and averages about 11 pts a game.

Alvin is a transfer from UTEP who did well as a frosh at UTEP (6'0" 175) guard. Averaging 11 a game now

---
Gonzaga's 6'9" Theo Davis transferred there too but is not playing ??
Sean Watson was supposed to help as a 6'5" senior but hasn't played since beginning of year - injury?

summary - 4 transfers: utep, juco/syracuse signee, St Joes, Gonzaga (though he does not play)

anyway, fwiw that is a fair number of transfers.

Though scoring is quite balanced sounds like #1 goal is to stop Rivera.

bsktballpunk2253
03-17-2009, 12:08 AM
I thought I would share a couple of articles I was reading from local news stations from around here (I live in Binghamton). If these have been posted previously, I apologize.

Duke the Goliath (http://www.newschannel34.com/news/local/story/BU-Prepares-for-Next-Foe-Duke-the-Goliath/Jrb9Bl1nckKLILhZjtD7yw.cspx?rss=120)

LOVE this quote:

Kevin Broadus says, "Let me just say, I went to church this morning and this is not what I prayed for."

Bearcats Dancing With Duke (http://www.wbng.com/sports/41296552.html)

"I'll play against anybody in the country," says junior guard D.J. Rivera. "Just as will my team. We were happy to see our name pop up on the screen, for sure, great experience, but we're ready to play on Thursday and we're going to get a win."

Bearcat Fans Ready For Duke (http://www.wicz.com/news2005/viewarticle.asp?a=8486)

"It's kinda of surreal, because we've never made it before and so to be able to play a team as good as Duke is kind of an honor," said B.U. Senior, Linda Torricelli.

Bing Student
03-17-2009, 12:10 AM
Figured I'd check out what the Duke fans were saying. I also can answer some of your uncertainties. Theo Davis basically just quit the team. He never had any work ethic. Sean Watson has been injured the entire season. As far as all of your scouting reports, they're pretty good. I only saw one statement about making Bing play fast that I disagreed with. Speed is probably the only advantage we have over you. Any chance there will be anti-Duke fans there to support Bing? We could use it.

gumbomoop
03-17-2009, 12:20 AM
Any chance there will be anti-Duke fans there to support Bing? We could use it.

If you guys stick with Duke for the first 10 minutes, the pro-Carolina crowd will back you with venomous gusto. They'll stick with you as long as you keep it close. They'll desert you at any point in the game when Duke gets insurmountable lead, for they cannot stand to see Duke win a game. The hatred is truly amazing, not to be believed. Believe it.

-bdbd
03-17-2009, 01:28 AM
Perhaps this belongs in the region thread but I thought each opponent (let's hope we have more than one) deserves it's own thread:
pt r
D.J. Rivera F 20.0 6.5 1.1 ... 6'4 190 junior
Dwayne Jackson G 11.7 3.8 0.9 . 6'3 200 senior
Malik Alvin G 11.7 3.1 3.8 .. 6'0 175 junior
Emanuel Mayben G 11.5 4.0 4.6 .. 6'3 180 junior
Reggie Fuller F 10.2 7.1 0.7 .. 6'6 200 senior

Looks like very balanced scoring...

They beat Vermont twice which is pretty impressive.

Very small - probably fast I imagine

all juniors and seniors / three G / two F

My in-laws and extended family all hail from the tri-cities (Binghamton) area. They are all pretty excited about this. Just to win their conference and make the NCAAT is a REALLY big deal there, as nobody on their team was selected all-conference. In fact, I think I recall that they have only joined D1 basketball earlier this decade. Since they don't start anyone over 6'6", and essentially play 4 guards with HIM, it might be interesting to see, at some point a big front line in the game for Duke -- say, Singler, Zoubek, and Lance or Miles. It'd be an all-Duke volleyball game around the basket. But that COULD play into the speedy Binghamton's hands - so I expect more of Smith, E-mail, Scheyer and Hendo. That said, I have been thinking for a couple weeks now that I'd like to see more of Zoubs. He did great vs FSU!

With Duke favored by 22 by Sheridan's line, if things go as we hope, I'd really love to see the main starters get some rest so we don't start wearing down like in years past.

I agree with the poster who indicated that a Saturday matchup might be a little harsher than Thursday, with 20,000 faded-blue-clad fans cheering vociferously for Texas or the Gophers. (On Sat I think Duke and UNC-ch would play back-to-back.) The fact that their 1st round game on Thursday is 7 hours before ours, and that we play so late on a work night, probably means we won't see anything like the nasty, loud crowd we faced in Charlotte for rounds 1 & 2, just three (?) years ago. Come on you N.C. Dukies, scoop up those Thurs. night session tix (2 games package) from all your Kerlina friends - or neutral fans or scalpers - and make some noise for Duke Thursday night and (hopefully) Saturday afternoon!!!!!

-BDBD :cool:

Saratoga2
03-17-2009, 08:37 AM
My in-laws and extended family all hail from the tri-cities (Binghamton) area. They are all pretty excited about this. Just to win their conference and make the NCAAT is a REALLY big deal there, as nobody on their team was selected all-conference. In fact, I think I recall that they have only joined D1 basketball earlier this decade. Since they don't start anyone over 6'6", and essentially play 4 guards with HIM, it might be interesting to see, at some point a big front line in the game for Duke -- say, Singler, Zoubek, and Lance or Miles. It'd be an all-Duke volleyball game around the basket. But that COULD play into the speedy Binghamton's hands - so I expect more of Smith, E-mail, Scheyer and Hendo. That said, I have been thinking for a couple weeks now that I'd like to see more of Zoubs. He did great vs FSU!

With Duke favored by 22 by Sheridan's line, if things go as we hope, I'd really love to see the main starters get some rest so we don't start wearing down like in years past.

I agree with the poster who indicated that a Saturday matchup might be a little harsher than Thursday, with 20,000 faded-blue-clad fans cheering vociferously for Texas or the Gophers. (On Sat I think Duke and UNC-ch would play back-to-back.) The fact that their 1st round game on Thursday is 7 hours before ours, and that we play so late on a work night, probably means we won't see anything like the nasty, loud crowd we faced in Charlotte for rounds 1 & 2, just three (?) years ago. Come on you N.C. Dukies, scoop up those Thurs. night session tix (2 games package) from all your Kerlina friends - or neutral fans or scalpers - and make some noise for Duke Thursday night and (hopefully) Saturday afternoon!!!!!

Maybe UNC fans will be sent home to cry in their beer Could LSU or Butler do it?

SMO
03-17-2009, 09:10 AM
If you guys stick with Duke for the first 10 minutes, the pro-Carolina crowd will back you with venomous gusto. They'll stick with you as long as you keep it close. They'll desert you at any point in the game when Duke gets insurmountable lead, for they cannot stand to see Duke win a game. The hatred is truly amazing, not to be believed. Believe it.

I doubt many haters will stay for the late game though. They didn't last time I attended the G'boro late game in 2006.

Fish80
03-17-2009, 09:26 AM
I love this quote about Duke by Mike DeCourcy in Sporting News Today:

" . . . deep in the tournament, because these guys understand how to play."

Twenty with the best shot to win it" (http://today.sportingnews.com/sportingnewstoday/20090317/?sub_id=DCYlXSIzHiUzU&folio=13)

gumbomoop
03-17-2009, 09:43 AM
I doubt many haters will stay for the late game though. They didn't last time I attended the G'boro late game in 2006.

Ok, I accept your correction, and accordingly revise my comment to Bing Student: some UNC fans will stay for the late game, and of those who stay, 99% will now and forevermore detest Duke with incalculable hatred, and will cheer you on for as long as you make it a game.

Take no comfort in their "support" for you, however, for as Churchill once said, faced with the prospect of allying with Stalin, "If Hitler were to invade Hell, I'd make a pact with the Devil." In the mondo bizarro of the Carolina mindset, Duke is constantly invading Carolina Blue Heaven, and they'll take whatever allies they can find to destroy the heathens.

gofurman
03-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Figured I'd check out what the Duke fans were saying. I also can answer some of your uncertainties. Theo Davis basically just quit the team. He never had any work ethic. Sean Watson has been injured the entire season. As far as all of your scouting reports, they're pretty good. I only saw one statement about making Bing play fast that I disagreed with. Speed is probably the only advantage we have over you. Any chance there will be anti-Duke fans there to support Bing? We could use it.

so what is the basic m.o. of the Binghamton team - spread and shoot threes? Guard penetration all the way to the rim?

thanks for the info.

Double DD
03-17-2009, 11:26 AM
BTW, the line for this game is -22, only UNC is opening as a bigger favorite.

pfrduke
03-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I only saw one statement about making Bing play fast that I disagreed with. Speed is probably the only advantage we have over you.

Since that was my statement, I thought I'd expound upon it a little bit. I see "speed" and "playing fast" as two completely different things. The key to speed in basketball is being able to use it under control. That's one of the reasons Ty Lawson is so good on offense - he's both extremely quick and in control at top speed. Contrast that with someone like Elliot Williams, who is also very quick, but got in trouble this season when he went too fast, because he was out of control.

I have no doubt that Binghamton's guards are quick. That doesn't necessarily mean they can play under control when faced with a pressure defense designed to speed them up beyond their comfort level. Take Maryland, for example. When we played them on Saturday, they generally dictated to us when they would be quick and when they wouldn't - they controlled pace and tempo. When we played them in Cameron, however, they didn't - Duke sped them up and actually used their speed against them, as Maryland's players were playing at a speed that was outside of their comfort zone.

That's what I'm talking about when I say speed them up. Don't let Binghamton decide when they will and won't use their quickness. Instead, force them to play at a speed that pushes them outside of their comfort level and forces quick reactions, good decision-making, and precise execution.

That said, you've seen them play this year, and I haven't (aside from about 10 minutes of the AEC final). If they have routinely shredded presses or aggressive half court man-to-man defenses with patience, precise passing, smart ball rotation, etc., maybe what I'm proposing is not a good idea. But my gut (and my look at their schedule) tells me they haven't had to face a defense that is as disruptive as Duke's can be when it's operating at its most energetic. And the mere fact that Binghamton is quick or speedy doesn't necessarily mean they can handle a defense that forces them to play fast and exact for 40 minutes.

jjasper0729
03-17-2009, 11:49 AM
if tha'ts the line, take binghamton and the points... if we get way ahead we'll go to stall ball and the difference will shrink

UrinalCake
03-17-2009, 11:53 AM
I actually don't expect Z to play very much, he'd have to defend on the perimeter and make sure not to get beat on the fast break when getting back defensively. We'd have to play some sort of a matchup zone to allow him to stay in the paint, with our other four players switching constantly.

Lance should have a great game though, he'll have a size advantage without being a mismatch defensively. Perhaps if we can build a working lead then we can give Z and even Plumlee some minutes.

Bing Student
03-17-2009, 12:01 PM
so what is the basic m.o. of the Binghamton team - spread and shoot threes? Guard penetration all the way to the rim?

thanks for the info.

Well, based on the second half of the AE title game, I am certainly not confident in their half-court game. They get very stagnant and will waste the clock before someone eventually takes a bad shot. That said, they have a few players that make them more athletic than most mid-majors. They'll hit some off-balanced shots. They're not a good shooting team though. Rivera and Alvin always go inside strong. Sometimes they're out of control though and take contested layups instead of passing to open teammates. Mayben's a really good passer, but forces too many. This team is definitely not built around fundamentals. They are just great athletes. I think Rivera's knee is 100% now. Look out for some alley oop attempts from Mayben to Rivera (whose really only 6-2 btw).

Dr. Tina
03-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Just some miscellaneous pre-game stuff going on here...

Tonight, our local channel, WBNG-TV, hosted an hour long live show called, "March into Madness," from Tully's Restaurant near the BU campus. They looked at Binghamton's season, their game with Duke, and talked about Syracuse and Cornell. I wasn't able to see it, but I thought I heard that they had some footage of Coach K. If you're interested in checking out some of the BU stuff around here, check this link:

http://www.wbng.com/

Also, Binghamton's mayor, Matt Ryan, declared tomorrow "Green Day" in support of the Bearcats. I work at a local school and many of them are planning on wearing green. I'll be the only one wearing a bunch of Duke stuff.... :)

SeattleIrish
03-18-2009, 10:05 PM
*Moderators, please don't hesitate to move this if it belongs in a different thread!

I hesitate to bring this up, as I'm not sure if this is a topic that has been intentionally avoided (but there were a couple posts linking articles, just no commentary), or if I am the only one who is really rooting against SUNY Binghampton?

I've always heard SUNY-B spoken highly of - "The Harvard of the SUNY System" is what my buddy who's an alum called it. The stories I've read this week about the compromises they've seemingly made while on the road to D-1, about the questionable and damaging recruiting, and now about what SEEMS to be a coverup of recent sexual harrassment (and whistle-blower regs, I would imagine) listed on the front page, makes it increasingly easy to get up a good vitriolic dislike for them.

I always root for "the good guys" in college sports: I want to see Stanford, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Virginia, Vandy, Cal, (even UNC, to some extent - although I root for them to lose every single game in every sport to Duke!), et. al excel at college sports. Those same nebulus (although I could list a few) values make me root against the F$Us, UConn(victs), UNLV of the 90s, Sinsinattis, et al.

For me, and admittedly quick-to-judge, Binghamton is much closer to the latter than the former.

s.i.

xaloc
03-18-2009, 10:10 PM
I've watched them play in person a number of times, and this pretty much encapsulates their style: Tiki Mayben gets called for a 10 second violation with zero pressure, is called for a technical foul (for yelling at a ref who called him for palming the ball) at an incredibly inopportune time, and then knocks down a huge shot to take the lead. All in the last 3 minutes. Sorta par for the course.

BD80
03-18-2009, 10:38 PM
I admit I can be out of touch, but I was surprised that there is still the type of conduct detailed in the article about Binghamton linked on the front page: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/sports/ncaabasketball/19binghamton.html?_r=2&ref=sports

Williams said ... a donor began putting $100 bills on the table and asked her to tell him to stop when there were enough there for her to sleep with him. ...

... they speculated on her chest size and that [assistant AD] Lewis suggested she strip for a donor who was planning a bachelor party.

... [senior associate athletic director - who works closely with the basketball team] Siegel grabbed Williams’s breast in an elevator and told her he wanted to “make sure it was up to standard.” ...

... Siegel consistently stood close enough to touch her body, stared at her chest and spoke to her using sexual innuendo like “using her assets.” When she made a work recommendation to Siegel in February, she said in her complaint, she was told she was “not hired to have opinions, but rather to look good and flirt with donors.”

It seems like the show "Life on Mars" where the main character finds himself in the '70s. I find myself admitting to my sons that the Neanderthal attitudes did exist, but that was 35 years ago. They're still around?

Can you imagine such occurrences at an Iron Dukes gathering?

theman5207
03-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Is it really so surprising that in big-time college athletics programs, there are donors like this? Keep in mind that many major gifts prospects are older, and the attitudes don't seem all that unlikely. Beyond whether or not those attitudes exist, do you think that, in the business of professional philanthropy, there aren't people willing to go to great lengths to close a gift?

JStuart
03-18-2009, 10:47 PM
Take no comfort in their "support" for you, however, for as Churchill once said, faced with the prospect of allying with Stalin, "If Hitler were to invade Hell, I'd make a pact with the Devil." In the mondo bizarro of the Carolina mindset, Duke is constantly invading Carolina Blue Heaven, and they'll take whatever allies they can find to destroy the heathens.

Actually, the quotation runs:
"If Hitler invaded hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons. "
but any thread that gets Winston in the middle of it is a good one!

gofurman
03-18-2009, 10:55 PM
My good friend went to Binghamton, his half-informed scouting report is that they get a lot of their points off turnovers, particularly on the full court man press. He said they're not world-beaters in the half-court offensive set. Quick, no size.

I personally don't expect this one to be close. We're too good defensively this year for a team without a thriving half-court set to have a prayer.

our worst loss was to a team with a press... Clemson we could not handle - do I think Binghamton is Clemson , no...but don't think I love to see a press...

- sounds like they use a man-on-man press though? As opposed to CLemson with 2-2-1,etc??? Is this right or do they try to trap press like Clemson? we had better have learned to handle a press though - someone after clemson, umd I believe used it a few token times and it was effective for one turnover in 4 attempts and one should-have-ben turnover. We have not shown the ability to handle much of any press other than one man ball pressure coming up court.

-bdbd
03-19-2009, 01:19 AM
our worst loss was to a team with a press... Clemson we could not handle - do I think Binghamton is Clemson , no...but don't think I love to see a press...

- sounds like they use a man-on-man press though? As opposed to CLemson with 2-2-1,etc??? Is this right or do they try to trap press like Clemson? we had better have learned to handle a press though - someone after clemson, umd I believe used it a few token times and it was effective for one turnover in 4 attempts and one should-have-ben turnover. We have not shown the ability to handle much of any press other than one man ball pressure coming up court.

I thought that the Clemson loss was the trigger to (a) start tinkering with the lineup (ultimately leading to e-mail's insertion) and (b) to start recruiting another PG for this year...

While the latter item won't help vs Binghsmton, the former gives us another speedy, athletic ball handler. Also, look for Singler - the tallest man on the floor - to be our one-man outlet valve. The same will be true of Zoubs whenever he's in.

BTW, I disagree with the poster who said we won't play Zoubs much vs Bing. b/c he can't guard them out on the perimeter. BUT their 6-6 Center is not much of a scorer, and is no threat from outside, and having a 7-footer as a "last line of defense" will affect the shortish Bighamton's offense/penetration tremendously. I like the idea myself.

Bing Student
03-19-2009, 01:40 AM
Reggie scores mostly on dunks and layups, but hes developed a bit of a touch around the basket. I dont know if he can hook shots in over taller guys though. I'm pretty interested in the Fuller-Singler matchup. Singler's bigger, but Reggie is a better leaper who blocks shots. I think Zoubek would probably create more problems for him actually with his size. He is wider, isnt he?

RelativeWays
03-19-2009, 08:03 AM
I'm hoping the Belmont game last year taught this team not to take anyone for granted. No offense to Binghamton, but if Duke gets a chance to go for the throat, they better do it. These games can be problematic if you let the underdog hang around, and while this team is playing its best basketball in 3 years, its not invincible. Lets make them bite the curb early and quick.

mgtr
03-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Lets make them bite the curb early and quick.

"Bite the curb"? I haven't heard that one before. While I am confident you are not wishing Binghamton well in any way, I don't really understand the meaning of the phrase. Ahh, light dawns. Maybe it is the same as throw them to the curb, or throw them in the gutter?:confused:

sandinmyshoes
03-19-2009, 10:30 AM
"Bite the curb"? I haven't heard that one before. While I am confident you are not wishing Binghamton well in any way, I don't really understand the meaning of the phrase. Ahh, light dawns. Maybe it is the same as throw them to the curb, or throw them in the gutter?:confused:

It reminds me of that creepy execution scene from American History X.

As for Bham, the only worry I have is that they are probably a very, very quick team, and if they get unbelievably hot from three point land, I suppose anything could happen. But then, I'm always irrationally worried before every one and done game. :o

Acymetric
03-19-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm hoping the Belmont game last year taught this team not to take anyone for granted. No offense to Binghamton, but if Duke gets a chance to go for the throat, they better do it. These games can be problematic if you let the underdog hang around, and while this team is playing its best basketball in 3 years, its not invincible. Lets make them bite the curb early and quick.

Something like that. Having seen American History X I wouldn't ever use that expression though (not due to any racial implications, its just a particularly unpleasant image).

That said, I would love to see us jump on Binghamton and really take them to the shed, but I won't be upset if they make it a game. I'm sure our guys aren't taking this game lightly, especially since they were all (except the freshman) here for the Belmont experience last year.

I can't wait to get this tourny started!

Edit: I see I'm not the only one...sandinmyshoes beat me to it. That scene really was pretty dark.

whereinthehellami
03-19-2009, 10:44 AM
This game has me a little nervous. Not so much in that I think Duke will lose but that Duke has alot of pressure on them to blow Bing out early. and if they don't and its a close game, then everyone is going to hear how Duke is struggling again.

I think its very important for Duke to jump on BING early and often. Blow the doors off. Have fun doing it!! Come at Bing in waves. Play aggresive, scale back on the 3 pointers, unless they are on a big MOMO run. Then just pour it on.

trinity92
03-19-2009, 11:08 AM
I haven't seen this posted, and even did a quick search, so apologies if this has been mentioned already . . .

Our old friend Mark Macon is Binghamton's assistant coach. For you youngsters, we beat #1 ranked Temple in the 1998 regional final by shutting down Macon, who was POY quality, in the NCAAs (Macon shot 6-29, 13 pts.)

AFAIC, this is a good omen!

OldPhiKap
03-19-2009, 11:40 AM
I haven't seen this posted, and even did a quick search, so apologies if this has been mentioned already . . .

Our old friend Mark Macon is Binghamton's assistant coach. For you youngsters, we beat #1 ranked Temple in the 1998 regional final by shutting down Macon, who was POY quality, in the NCAAs (Macon shot 6-29, 13 pts.)

If only Billy King was an assistant coach for us . . . .

roywhite
03-19-2009, 11:50 AM

1988, actually.

Great job by Billy King.

Tick, tock...come on, clock; get us to tipoff!

trinity92
03-19-2009, 04:12 PM
you mean it wasn't Chris Carrawell who locked down Macon that game ;)

1988 it was.

KrazyKfan
03-19-2009, 09:47 PM
After two painful years of early exits from the ACC tournament, we now have a team capable of making a long run to the Championship.

Even though we're in a tough region, we have a great, experienced team that has the tools it needs to get the job done and more.

In 5 minutes, Duke kicks off its tournament run.

Let's pray it ends with us cutting the nets down in Detroit.

The analysts have written us off; Duke is despised and UNC is adored.

Let's do what we know we can: Win it all.

Let's Do This!

Go DUKE!

GoingFor#5
03-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Ok lets end this Gonzaga game please!!

fisheyes
03-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Wow...who is that big guy in the game for Bing? I thought this was basketball...not football....

banneheim
03-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Has anyone ever seen a worse offensive charge call against Scheyer? The D player barely backed up after contact.

KrazyKfan
03-19-2009, 10:14 PM
Why were we running early. We're the two seed, let's play our game, not theirs.

GoingFor#5
03-19-2009, 10:19 PM
CBS just switched away here already :(

willowglen
03-19-2009, 10:21 PM
The polite thing to say with 9 minutes left in the first half is that they are a quick and scrappy team.

But Binghamton also plays a bit like the bandit program rep that is surrounding them. Lots of AAU ball type defense, as well as some wild three point shots.

Game is not over. But I was at the Belmont game last year. This year's version is not a replay.

KrazyKfan
03-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Put Scheyer back in already.

AtlBluRew
03-19-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm trying to follow online, but ESPN seems to be frozen at 4-2 with 17:30 to go in the first half! Can someone please give a score? Thanks!

devildownunder
03-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Boy, when he can just relax and play his game, he's really good. Man I hope his role remains suited to his talents from here on in. Some nice stuff from williams so far, too. I hope we see plenty of Z in this one. I think he can be a factor here because these guys are pretty small.

devildownunder
03-19-2009, 10:28 PM
I'm trying to follow online, but ESPN seems to be frozen at 4-2 with 17:30 to go in the first half! Can someone please give a score? Thanks!

33-21 Duke, 5:40 to play 1st half.

brianl
03-19-2009, 10:30 PM
does anybody know of an online radio feed?

KrazyKfan
03-19-2009, 10:31 PM
We gotta step up the D. We can not let this team hang around.

banneheim
03-19-2009, 10:31 PM
No Z sighting...

devildownunder
03-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Something like that. Having seen American History X I wouldn't ever use that expression though (not due to any racial implications, its just a particularly unpleasant image).

That said, I would love to see us jump on Binghamton and really take them to the shed, but I won't be upset if they make it a game. I'm sure our guys aren't taking this game lightly, especially since they were all (except the freshman) here for the Belmont experience last year.

I can't wait to get this tourny started!

Edit: I see I'm not the only one...sandinmyshoes beat me to it. That scene really was pretty dark.

Agreed about the American History X reference. I routinely refer to March Madness as Mortal Kombat but even I think that one's over the line.

OldPhiKap
03-19-2009, 10:32 PM

Google Albemarle NC radio and click on the link for 1580 WZKY

GoingFor#5
03-19-2009, 10:33 PM

CBS has audio and video options http://mmod.ncaa.com/

terrih
03-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Why is Jon on the bench so much? Is he in foul trouble?

vb5678
03-19-2009, 10:37 PM
Yeah, he's got 2 fouls. I'm not liking Gerald's shot selection so far.

FireOgilvie
03-19-2009, 10:37 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/gamecenter/live/NCAAB_20090319_BING@DUKE

This shows live stats.

OldPhiKap
03-19-2009, 10:38 PM
41-31. Lgd!

RelativeWays
03-19-2009, 10:41 PM
I wasn't even thinking about AHX when I made that comment, but yeah I wanted to evoke the image of a quick and brutal smashing. I haven't seen that move in like 9 years, I tend to associate the whole curb stomp thing with Gears of War....which I'm sure they were borrowing that imagery from AHX as well.

flyingdutchdevil
03-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Elliot is not hesitating as much. i like that. he is our x factor.

devildownunder
03-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Boy, Mayben has hit a couple of nasty 3s. Maybe we shouldn't switch on him. Even Thomas wasn't quick enough to get back in his grill after that crossover-stepback move. We need someone out on him quick enough to not have to respect his drive quite so much. goodness.

Meanwhile, Nolan!

AtlBluRew
03-19-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm so happy I went to the CBS sports site and found live video and audio!

House G
03-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Boy, Mayben has hit a couple of nasty 3s. Maybe we shouldn't switch on him. Even Thomas wasn't quick enough to get back in his grill after that crossover-stepback move. We need someone out on him quick enough to not have to respect his drive quite so much. goodness.

Meanwhile, Nolan!
They were 6/12 from 3-point range!

Son of Mojo
These guys are a LOT better than I was expecting. They're fast, look to drive, and can step up to hit shots. They're not very disciplined though--looks like that's helped us some with their turnovers. Hopefully we can lock them down & hit a few more shots in the 2nd half.

Les Grossman
in my area, they abandoned the Duke game when Duke went up 24-12. And their "live" scoreboard across the top is not functioning well, either.

grrrr

I have to find a radio link, this is intolerable.

arnie
03-19-2009, 10:48 PM
We are playing composed, but don't look comfortable shooting 3's. Probably should just continue to go inside in the 2nd half - they really can't do much with us except foul. Hopefully their 3's won't fall in the 2nd half. This does remind me of Belmont last year.

Greg_Newton
03-19-2009, 10:49 PM
in my area, they abandoned the Duke game when Duke went up 24-12. And their "live" scoreboard across the top is not functioning well, either.

Same, and lucky for me neither of the HD or Low-D online streams are compatible with my computer. What happened at the end of the half there? We were looking great when they switched away, was it just that Binghamton started shooting the lights out?

devildownunder
03-19-2009, 10:49 PM

grrrr

I have to find a radio link, this is intolerable.

March Madness on demand at cbssports.com (or cbssportsline.com). It's not tv quality but it's very good -- especially the HD version of the stream. It's free and they NEVER leave your game. You can switch to whichever you want at any time, too.

Of course, maybe they are blacking out this service in areas of high interest in the US. I'm overseas so it doesn't really apply to me.

JDev
03-19-2009, 10:50 PM
They were 6/12 from 3-point range!

Yeah they shot really well, and that is why they are in it. They came out with a little too much adrenaline and were fouling like crazy and throwing the ball away. If they hadn't shot so well Duke would be in much better shape. Three of their threes were tough Jimmy Baron step backs. Hopefully the volume of foul trouble will bite them in the second half.

Atlanta Duke
03-19-2009, 10:54 PM
March Madness on demand at cbssports.com (or cbssportsline.com). It's not tv quality but it's very good -- especially the HD version of the stream. It's free and they NEVER leave your game. You can switch to whichever you want at any time, too.

Plus there is a 30 second or so lag from the TV broadcast so when the local CBS affiliate switches away on the TV feed (lots of UCLA - VCU here in Atlanta after Duke was supposed to be the local broadcast) when I get back on the computer feed of the Duke game I have not missed any plays

Praise be to the CBS online broadcasts

House G
03-19-2009, 10:55 PM
We are playing composed, but don't look comfortable shooting 3's. Probably should just continue to go inside in the 2nd half - they really can't do much with us except foul. Hopefully their 3's won't fall in the 2nd half. This does remind me of Belmont last year.
Duke appears to have much better depth than this team. I look for this to become a factor as Bing's # of fouls continues to mount.

cruxer
03-19-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm incredibly annoyed that CBS switched us away from the Duke game here in Greenville, SC. This is, after all, ACC country. I sat and watched the 'holes game when they were up 30 and the terps game was competitive! Who makes these decisions? Does anybody have CBS contact info so we can complain?

-c

Les Grossman
03-19-2009, 10:56 PM
unbelieveable
I'm screwed.

Newton_14
03-19-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah they shot really well, and that is why they are in it. They came out with a little too much adrenaline and were fouling like crazy and throwing the ball away. If they hadn't shot so well Duke would be in much better shape. Three of their threes were tough Jimmy Baron step backs. Hopefully the volume of foul trouble will bite them in the second half.

They made crazy 3's to turn what should have been a 20 point lead into a 11 point lead. Hate that Dave led E-Will too far on that play at the end.

But hopefully their 3 point shooting returns to earth and they continue to foul like they did.

Our guys just simply need to drive the ball on every possession, Bing cannot stop that.

superdave
03-19-2009, 11:02 PM
We have them in some nice foul trouble. If we can continue to drive, we will stretch the lead at the foul line. Then buckets will get easier and easier.

No Zoubek in the first half like people expected. The game is too up-and-down for him, but still they could slow it down and use him some.

Balanced scoring so far.

Les Grossman
03-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Now CBS is showing me Illinois losing to W Ky--I'm on the east coast. they are clueless.

devildownunder
03-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Head in the game, buddy. That's not the best way to pick up a 3rd foul. Although it may be a good thing. We're way ahead and he's had a lot of minutes lately.

jacone21
03-19-2009, 11:12 PM
Nice run by the Devils! At this rate Bing will have 40 fouls in this game.

Les Grossman
03-19-2009, 11:13 PM
http://www.1010wspc.com/wzky.htm

I gave up on CBS, curse them. :mad: wow, up by 24

Les Grossman
03-19-2009, 11:14 PM
good sign for the tournament:)

DukeFanInTerpLand
03-19-2009, 11:14 PM
MUCH better so far this half.

miramar
03-19-2009, 11:17 PM
So Mark Macon is an assistant for Binghampton. Do you think he still has Billy King nightmares?

dukediv2013
03-19-2009, 11:18 PM
unbelieveable
I'm screwed.

I have a mac and it works fine... did you install the video requirements?

House G
03-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Nice run by the Devils! At this rate Bing will have 40 fouls in this game.
The zebras let another 20 go.

SharkD
03-19-2009, 11:21 PM
unbelieveable
I'm screwed.

I have a mac and it works fine... did you install the video requirements?

I had no problem running it at work or at home (10.5.6 on Intel macs)

SharkD
03-19-2009, 11:22 PM

There's been some pretty dirty extracurricular activity away from the ball and during stopped clock situations.

roywhite
03-19-2009, 11:25 PM

Amen. Binghamton hand-checks virtually every possession on the perimeter.

FireOgilvie
03-19-2009, 11:26 PM
We're getting hammered on a lot of our inside shots... no calls. Over and over again. Not to mention Scheyer getting run over on a 3 pointer... terrible.

devildownunder
03-19-2009, 11:27 PM
And I'd bet money K was in the officials' ears about it right from jumpstreet, which is probably one big reason they've been making those calls. That's the benefit of having a good, experienced coach. And Duke is hardly the only team whose coach can, and does, do this.

House G
03-19-2009, 11:28 PM
If Texas is allowed to mug us like this, Singler may not finish the game.

devildownunder
03-19-2009, 11:28 PM
We're getting hammered on a lot of our inside shots... no calls. Over and over again. Not to mention Scheyer getting run over on a 3 pointer... terrible.

that hasn't really bothered me in this one because they're calling it close on the perimeter and on bumps when guys like G and Nolan drive to the basket. That's been much more important for us.

devildownunder
03-19-2009, 11:32 PM
They can't guard G. They just have absolutely no chance of staying with him, no matter what they do. Nice to have a guy like that around!

RoyalBlue08
03-19-2009, 11:35 PM
If Texas is allowed to mug us like this, Singler may not finish the game.

Why is Singler finishing this game? I think it is about time to rest him for Sat. when he is going to be playing 40 minutes again!

OldPhiKap
03-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Why is Singler finishing this game? I think it is about time to rest him for Sat. when he is going to be playing 40 minutes again!

That's why,

Dukeford
03-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Zoubek?

ArtVandelay
03-19-2009, 11:47 PM
On a positive note, I just caught a solid "Insert Johnson" chant on the CBS broadcast as K was emptying the bench.

SharkD
03-19-2009, 11:47 PM
Zoubek?

Is playing... as is Marty.

dukelifer
03-19-2009, 11:51 PM
Is playing... as is Marty.

And hits a three!

devildownunder
03-19-2009, 11:51 PM
And Marty is in the book! Good for him.