PDA

View Full Version : NIT snubs????

wolfpackdevil
03-15-2009, 09:28 PM
I was just watching the NIT selection show, and was very upset.

There were teams such as Niagra, Jacksonville, Bowling Green, Weber State and others that made the NIT.

There are also teams like NC State, Cincinatti, and more that didn't make the field.

Now I know that NC State would have accepted an inviation. I saw that team play very well at the end of the season, and was shocked they didn't make the cut. I think that State should have been in over teams like Weber State, and Bowling Green.

This isn't the NCAA tournament, there shouldn't be teams in the NIT that are barely good enough to play in Division 1.

The NIT should be for teams that are in very tough conferences like NC State, that couldn't make the big dance, not teams that couldn't even win there very bad conferences.

Any thoughts?

Wander
03-15-2009, 09:31 PM
If a team wins its regular season conference but doesn't get an NCAA bid, it gets an "automatic bid" to the NIT.

BlueintheFace
03-15-2009, 09:35 PM
I didn't know there was such a thing as an NIT "snub"

wolfpackdevil
03-15-2009, 09:35 PM
If a team wins its regular season conference but doesn't get an NCAA bid, it gets an "automatic bid" to the NIT.

yes I know, but is that a good thing?

arnie
03-15-2009, 09:40 PM
yes I know, but is that a good thing?

NC State has not won an ACC Basketball championship in 22 years or an ACC Football championship in 30+ years. They are no longer the darlings of the sport and finishing 6-11 against ACC teams does not make for an attractive team. I think letting in the smaller schools makes more sense, and remember, the NIT tournament is an afterthought.

GoingFor#5
03-15-2009, 09:44 PM
I think with only 4 at-large bids going to non-power conferences, a lot of non-power conference teams should go to the NIT. NC State gets their chance against top teams every year so unfortunately I do not feel for them that much.

fisheyes
03-15-2009, 10:06 PM
http://www.nit.org/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/nit/sports/m-nit/auto_pdf/Bracket

Kentucky vs UNLV as a first round matchup in the NIT!!!

PRICELESS!!!

mgtr
03-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Kentucky has finally found its level! Isn't the NCAA now running the NIT? That probably explains a lot.
Back in the day, the NIT was a terrific tournament, since only conference winners went to the NCAA (16 teams). A lot of great teams were left out. Now it is definitely second fiddle to the NCAA tournament, and I agree that many non-power conference teams ought to get their shot (Davidson, for example).

Ben63
03-15-2009, 10:16 PM

There were teams such as Niagra, Jacksonville, Bowling Green, Weber State and others that made the NIT.

There are also teams like NC State, Cincinatti, and more that didn't make the field.

Now I know that NC State would have accepted an inviation. I saw that team play very well at the end of the season, and was shocked they didn't make the cut. I think that State should have been in over teams like Weber State, and Bowling Green.

This isn't the NCAA tournament, there shouldn't be teams in the NIT that are barely good enough to play in Division 1.

The NIT should be for teams that are in very tough conferences like NC State, that couldn't make the big dance, not teams that couldn't even win there very bad conferences.

Any thoughts?

There's always the CBI...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

or the CIT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CollegeInsider.com_Tournament)

Newton_14
03-15-2009, 10:29 PM

Any thoughts?

I am going to agree with you here. I actually thought State deserved a NIT bid. They did play better down the stretch and throughout the year they competed well in most all of their games but had trouble finishing the job. They went to the wire with Florida at Florida, and lost in the last few seconds to a very good Marquette team. They were also right there with a chance late in several of their other losses.

But on the bright side, they return a good nucleus of players next year and have good recruits coming in. I expect them to get over the hump next year and return to the NCAA tourney...

hurleyfor3
03-15-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm a nice guy, so I won't flag this thread for pointlessness. But on the galactic importance scale "being snubbed by the Nit" ranks immediately below "me knocking down a big container of oatmeal while reaching for the pretzels and spilling said oatmeal all over the kitchen", which occurred at roughly the same time.

BD80
03-16-2009, 12:22 AM
I didn't know there was such a thing as an NIT "snub"

That is when a school turns down an invitation to play in the NIT.

gotham devil
03-16-2009, 04:27 AM
There's always the CBI...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

or the CIT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CollegeInsider.com_Tournament)

Former Duke All-American Johnny Dawkins, well, led the Cardinal to the CBI this season. Also, annual opponent St. John's is competing in the CBI.

allenmurray
03-16-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm a nice guy, so I won't flag this thread for pointlessness. But on the galactic importance scale "being snubbed by the Nit" ranks immediately below "me knocking down a big container of oatmeal while reaching for the pretzels and spilling said oatmeal all over the kitchen", which occurred at roughly the same time.

Then why did you post at all? Other folks made some valid points about what purpose the NIT can serve. NCSU is an ACC team, making them appropriate discussion for this board. Flag if you want, (we know you're a moderator and therefore have the power to do so), or ignore it if you don't want to participate.

But why would a moderator enter a thread only to say that he "could have flagged it but didn't" and then add nothing useful? Isn't that the very type of thing that was the subject of this thread http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14479 ?

HaveFunExpectToWin
03-16-2009, 10:40 AM
As a Vandy grad, I was sad to see my Commodores miss out on the NIT. There were 4 SEC teams in already, but Vanderbilt made a strong run at the end of the season and pulled to 8-8 in conference. Would have been nice to have the young guys get some post season experience.

The administration won't put up the cash for the CBI hosting, so the season is done for the Dores. Oh well, at least we won a bowl game.

slower
03-16-2009, 11:39 AM
I hope that Patrick Patterson, Greg Monroe and Kenny Boynton are enjoying their respective (and future) schools' participation in the NIT. :D

Lavabe
03-16-2009, 03:11 PM
http://www.nit.org/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/nit/sports/m-nit/auto_pdf/Bracket

Kentucky vs UNLV as a first round matchup in the NIT!!!

PRICELESS!!!

And due to the fact that Rupp Arena is booked, they'll play in Lexington's Memorial Coliseum.:D

cruxer
03-16-2009, 03:22 PM
I think UK fans are actually looking forward to seeing another game in Memorial, even if they're understandably not too thrilled with being in the NIT.

-c

Lavabe
03-16-2009, 05:24 PM
I think UK fans are actually looking forward to seeing another game in Memorial, even if they're understandably not too thrilled with being in the NIT.

-c

High school gets the Rupp, UK gets the Coliseum. I think that sets up the priorities properly.

It's sort of like the holes playing the NIT at Carmichael, while the NC high school basketball tourney gets played in the Dome.

This morning, I heard one rationale why people want the NIT... so that the Holes don't pass them in total number of wins for a program.:eek:
:)

BD80
03-16-2009, 05:55 PM
... This morning, I heard one rationale why people want the NIT... so that the Holes don't pass them in total number of wins for a program.:eek:
:)

UK would have to WIN NIT games for that strategy to work.

Never kick someone when they are down...

unless you are absolutely certain you can get away with it.

dubayuw
03-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Cincinatti

ITS CINCINNATI, lol, jk, im not that guy, i just live there;)

BTW, Cincinnati had a better in-conference and out-of conference record than G-Town and the same in and out of coneference records as Notre Dame. YET, b/c they weren't overrated in the preseason, they don't get in. Cincy beat G-Town TWICE and ND once. ND and G-Town did have some quality wins that Cincy didn't have but, in the end, its the NIT so I don't really care.

tendev
03-16-2009, 09:54 PM

And the other threads are . . .not? If DBR is more than just a place for entertainment and enjoying light-hearted banter and less than meaningful discussions about Duke basketball, I guess I have been missing the point.

KrazyKfan
03-16-2009, 10:31 PM
State is bad. They beat WFU this year, and thats it. They barely had a winning record and lost to Davidson, etc.

I have no respect for State after they ran off Herb Sendek. Yeah, a consistent Tournament coach isn't good enough for us, so we'll run him off and replace him with a past his prime player that can't coach AT ALL.

Good move.

mgtr
03-16-2009, 10:39 PM
I have no respect for State after they ran off Herb Sendek. Yeah, a consistent Tournament coach isn't good enough for us, so we'll run him off and replace him with a past his prime player that can't coach AT ALL.

I agree 100%, but that is not an unusual move. Look at Auburn in football, Clemson in football a few years ago. They both ran off good coaches because the good old boy fans/alums/trustees didn't like him. Sad.
It would be an interesting to see if this happens more often in state-supported schools than in private schools.
I talked to Father Hesburgh from ND some years ago, and he said that he gave football coaches five years protection from the alums, after that they were on their own. Seems like a good plan.