PDA

View Full Version : Oh my God, I think I am finally crossing over

KenTankerous
03-15-2009, 08:25 PM
As a lifelong Kentucky fan, this whole Duke thing has been pretty amazing - I fell in love with a Duke girl and fulfilled her dream of seeing a game at Cameron which softened my hating heart to all things Duke - well, all things except that which shall not be named but is a funny commercial this year and Subway's best play ever. But with the decline of Kentucky, watching Duke (without cussing) has actually brought joy back to my March.

But today, after the ACC final, I crossed a bridge, took the fork in the road, drank the kool-aid - I bought an ACC Champions Duke shirt. And I'm going to wear it, in public, in Louisville, KY.

Rupp have mercy...

DukeCO2009
03-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Welcome, brother, from The Dark Side.

Indoor66
03-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Your days will be brighter and your fortunes will be bountiful. Welcome.

Cameron
03-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Congratulations, Ken.

Coming from a Kentucky fan, this made my night;) You won't regret it, either. Following and cheering on Duke University and the absolute class and greatness it resonates has been a tremendous ride over the years, one that has brought me undeniable pride and happiness.

We Are Duke.

Say that out loud a few times during a great Duke run in March, when the triples are falling like rain, while looking at Coach Krzyzewski slap the floor with intensity, and you'll know. You'll know.

We Are Duke

ChemGod
03-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Welcome, brother, from The Dark Side.

...we have cookies!

roywhite
03-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Glad to hear it, Ken. We accept all manner of prior sinners.

Life can be good.

-jk
03-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Rupp have mercy...

I'm sure he will. He came this close to coaching Duke, too.

Welcome!

-jk

throatybeard
03-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Ken, I've always liked your posts, and to a lesser degree, let me return the favor.

A number of years ago, when the board was on the old software, I started a thread "what opponent's program do you closetly like?" I think this was in response to the regular appearance of UNC fan ClosetHurleyFan. So it had to be not just some other program, but a program Duke fans aren't "supposed" to like.

My own answer was UK. Everyone who knows me how much I love the mountains and how I've adopted WVU as the main team I like that I don't have a direct connection to. I mentioned that and how I like Kentucky's mountains too, and the bluegrass area, and Lexington is a lovely town downtown, and I love Covington/Newport. And they wear dark blue just like us. And, at least at the time I said this, they were 3-pointaholics like us. (Rich Eisen once called Duke "the Mustang Ranch of trey whores").

If Kentucky didn't dislike us, I would totally like them.

Dr. Tina
03-15-2009, 09:03 PM
Welcome, I'm happy your Duke gal has slowly, but surely, converted you to the Duke side!

RelativeWays
03-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Well done, you've taken your first step into a bold new world.

DukieInKansas
03-15-2009, 09:14 PM
As a lifelong Kentucky fan, this whole Duke thing has been pretty amazing - I fell in love with a Duke girl and fulfilled her dream of seeing a game at Cameron which softened my hating heart to all things Duke - well, all things except that which shall not be named but is a funny commercial this year and Subway's best play ever. But with the decline of Kentucky, watching Duke (without cussing) has actually brought joy back to my March.

But today, after the ACC final, I crossed a bridge, took the fork in the road, drank the kool-aid - I bought an ACC Champions Duke shirt. And I'm going to wear it, in public, in Louisville, KY.

Rupp have mercy...

Congratulations on a brave step. If anyone gives you a hard time, let me know. I'll gather the Shinkickers of the LTE and we will come kick some shins for you.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
03-15-2009, 09:23 PM

Said exactly right, IMO. I grew up cheering for Kentucky if they weren't playing Duke and naively assumed that sharing the Greatest Game in History had created a mutual respect. (With K's going out of his way to speak directly to the UK faithful and console/praise them after '92 being Exhibit A). It wasn't until I got on the internet in the late 1990s that I discovered that the connection I felt was emphatically NOT returned. The 2002 debacle where UK fans converged en masse to hurl overwhelming bile at us even as we were playing against a UK rival really stung, and a lot of the things we hear these days confirm that there's not a lot of interest in any sort of dark blue mutual admiration society.

For that reason, it's been great to have you, Ken, here to talk hoops and I'm very happy that you've found some things to like in the Duke brand. UK has a lot of great history and, I hope, a bright future as well. As Throaty said, I'd love to count UK as a team to cheer for if they just didn't hate us so much. Here's hoping that your good decision portends a better relationship for the Dark Blues going forward.

-jk
03-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Ken, I've always liked your posts, and to a lesser degree, let me return the favor.

A number of years ago, when the board was on the old software, I started a thread "what opponent's program do you closetly like?" I think this was in response to the regular appearance of UNC fan ClosetHurleyFan. So it had to be not just some other program, but a program Duke fans aren't "supposed" to like.

My own answer was UK. Everyone who knows me how much I love the mountains and how I've adopted WVU as the main team I like that I don't have a direct connection to. I mentioned that and how I like Kentucky's mountains too, and the bluegrass area, and Lexington is a lovely town downtown, and I love Covington/Newport. And they wear dark blue just like us. And, at least at the time I said this, they were 3-pointaholics like us. (Rich Eisen once called Duke "the Mustang Ranch of trey whores").

Would this be an opportune time to point out that the board's namesake and lifelong Dukie, Elizabeth King, was recognized as a Kentucky Colonel for meritorious service towards the UK basketball team?

Really and truly. I've seen the letter.

-jk

KrazyKfan
03-15-2009, 09:40 PM
No offense, but I hate NC state fans and Kentucky fans for similar reasons.

State because they weren't happy being an upper tier ACC program during Duke's dominant run in the ACC (99-06), and Kentucky because they weren't content on being a Final Four contender that didn't win it all for a couple of years under a black guy.

We better look out for Tubby Smith and those Gophers in the second round.

moonpie23
03-15-2009, 09:50 PM
welcome brother.....as a former gamecock, i know the road to redemption is filled with demons...

RelativeWays
03-15-2009, 09:53 PM
What's sad about the whole UK hatred of Duke is these fools don't seem to realize they already got revenge on Duke in 98. No, it wasn't a last second shot but they came back from a 17 point deficit to beat Duke in the regional finals and later to win the Championship. I don't know what they're still mad at, they got payback. UK fans, its time to make like a pole vaulter and get over it. Its over, has been for years.

bulldog44
03-15-2009, 09:56 PM
Awesome, welcome to the Duke family. Be careful though, my dad was on the tobacco market in KY and had more than one rear windshield damaged as a result of having a Duke sticker on his car.

burnspbesq
03-15-2009, 10:14 PM
A few seasons ago the Duke women's team played in a holiday tournament in San Diego, and I drove down for their first game. When they came out to start warming up, there was loud applause from the few hundred or so Duke fans, and polite applause from everyone else - except for a small group upstairs, made up primarily of high-school-age girls, who booed vociferously until the game got out of reach (Duke killed St. John's).

Turned out it was a girls' high school team from Kentucky, in town to play in the high school tournament that runs alongside the college tournament.

Now this was at the end of 2006, so the oldest players on that team were most likely born in 1989 or so. Which means they wouldn't have been potty-trained yet when Laettner hit the shot. Yet somehow they had been indoctrinated into believing that all things Duke were evil incarnate.

In any event, welcome, friend.

Lavabe
03-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Ken,
Perhaps we need to have a watch party/get-together here in Bluegrass Country.

I wear my Duke sweatshirt all over town. No problems, yet. Then again, I have a dog with me, and she likes to bite shins.;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

ArkieDukie
03-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Welcome, Ken! As another of the LTE ShinKickers, I join DukieInKansas in covering for you if you catch trouble. :)

rsvman
03-15-2009, 10:25 PM

Congrats on seeing the light.

Now, as a slight threadjack, where did you get the ACC Champions t-shirt?

devildeac
03-15-2009, 10:30 PM

Rupp have mercy...

And a hearty and warm welcome to our family.:D

OZZIE4DUKE
03-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Welcome, Ken! I have several very good friends who are KY diehards. One is very well known on the CatChat boards. We share a mutual hatred of carolina!

dukegirlinsc
03-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Congrats on seeing the light.

Now, as a slight threadjack, where did you get the ACC Champions t-shirt?

Championship Shirts (http://www.dukestore.com/ePOS?this_category=345&store=106&form=shared3%2fgm%2fmain%2ehtml&design=106&__session_info__=gxXYl%2fFvEqT2eLJaqXjHtJNgnvqLFjz ZmnZuctFPClsx%2bdM7UL%2bL6Dsq8DUMwj%2f2%2bYItWROOA JF4IpQTPSWdhy35UVkonHfd)

KenTankerous
03-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Championship Shirts (http://www.dukestore.com/ePOS?this_category=345&store=106&form=shared3%2fgm%2fmain%2ehtml&design=106&__session_info__=gxXYl%2fFvEqT2eLJaqXjHtJNgnvqLFjz ZmnZuctFPClsx%2bdM7UL%2bL6Dsq8DUMwj%2f2%2bYItWROOA JF4IpQTPSWdhy35UVkonHfd)

And I received a shipping confirmation today, should arrive Thursday.

rsvman
03-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Thanks, Duke girl. :)

weezie
03-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Ain't love grand????:)

Grey Devil
03-16-2009, 09:59 PM
My brother-in-law graduated from Kentucky. We've had a long and good-natured rivalry that pre-dates the Laettner shot. (In fact, I married his sister on the Saturday of the '78 Final Four, which resulted in both Duke and Kentucky advancing to the Finals....and which made for an interesting wedding, but that's a whole 'nother story.) However, the Laettner shot really devastated him for a number of years.

It wasn't until the '98 season when they beat us in the Elite Eight game to get to the Final Four that I finally saw the twinkle return to his eyes. I don't get to visit him very much since he lives in Illinois and I live in California, but a few years ago I did make it to his house. Over his fireplace is a huge picture (probably 36" wide) of "The Shot Heard Round the World" (I think that was the title on the frame). When I first glanced at it I knew instantly it was a Duke-Kentucky game, but didn't know what game it was. Then upon looking more closely I realized what it was....Wayne Turner (I think) hitting the winning shot over Duke in that '98 Elite Eight game! He was quite proud of the picture and wanted to make sure I saw it. In fact, each of his three daughters later individually took me by the hand to walk over to it so I could admire it with them.

It was then that I truly realized how much the Laettner shot hurt Kentucky fans everywhere. The "Turner Shot" seemed relatively insignificant to me (although I was devastated at the time), but to them it was redemption.

Grey "and that shot wasn't even at the buzzer, if I remember correctly" Devil

KenTankerous
03-16-2009, 10:23 PM
In my mind, the 17 point less than ten minutes to go comeback victory in 98 exorcised The Shot. So really we should be one up at this point. But mind isn't heart and fandom is ALL about heart.

Come on Dukies, are you ever going to forgive Hansbrough for sweeping you at Cameron?

So why should we Kentucky fans let go of Laettner?

roywhite
03-16-2009, 10:40 PM
In my mind, the 17 point less than ten minutes to go comeback victory in 98 exorcised The Shot. So really we should be one up at this point. But mind isn't heart and fandom is ALL about heart.

Come on Dukies, are you ever going to forgive Hansbrough for sweeping you at Cameron?

Glad you're enjoying following the Blue Devils, Ken.

Honestly, I don't think the Kentucky reaction to Laettner is comparable to the back and forth between Duke and Carolina fans.

There is sometimes a fine line between fan enthusiasm and obsession. Just my opinion, but I look at the Kentucky fanbase as being over the top, just too involved. There really is more to life.

Grey Devil
03-16-2009, 10:51 PM

In my mind, Hansbrough is no Laettner and doesn't even belong in this conversation.

captmojo
03-16-2009, 11:01 PM

forgive ...yes
forget ...no
Don't take all the fun out of it. :D
Glad to see you hop on this train.

Glad you're enjoying following the Blue Devils, Ken.

Honestly, I don't think the Kentucky reaction to Laettner is comparable to the back and forth between Duke and Carolina fans.

There is sometimes a fine line between fan enthusiasm and obsession. Just my opinion, but I look at the Kentucky fanbase as being over the top, just too involved. There really is more to life.

This could be said about holes...almost.
Many I encounter, are this way but only if they have won. When they lose, they pull a disappearing act. One, a relative, walked through my home during the game Saturday. He asked what was going on. I told him "Basketball, of course". He then asked me how did carolina do. If unc had won, I know he would have been all on top of it. He knew their outcome. He's a little thick, but not unaware.

alteran
03-17-2009, 01:50 PM

Rupp have mercy...

You made my day, Ken.

MonitorMom
03-17-2009, 02:00 PM
I just moved to Louisville bringing along my old Volvo wagon with 100,000+ miles and a Duke bumper sticker. After the ice storm this year the old wagon had to go in for service where I was told I'd have to give them a really good reason to work on a car with a Duke bumper sticker. The whole garage came in to give me a talking to about 'the shot'. After some serious groveling they fixed the car and did a fine job of it too. As I was leaving the man called out,"We were just kidding, you should be proud your kids can get into Duke." Guess I'll go back. So far we love the city!

dukeman28428
03-17-2009, 06:55 PM
Switching over to Duke will hopefully make your life long and happy.

WELCOME